Will there be another era?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
JeebaK said:
Yes rating means how many people watch the show on TV. Finally u got it right.
Now heres the debate.
Lets say two shows are advertised the same, generally the better among these two shows will be watched by more people at tv hence increasing its ratings. Hence rating = quality of the show.
Now off to your marketing point.
Are you trying to say that wwe hasnt been marketed right since the pg era?
As a matter of fact WWE is marketed MORE nowadays than in the WWF days or the AE Era days. Most of the wrestlers do movies, participate in tv shows, guest appearences at functions, parties, host tv shows etc etc. WWE also take part in more brands and sponsor many things. Hence even the most notorius skeptic wouldnt argue that WWE now is marketed atleast 5x better than in the WWF days. in the AE WWE was more of a cult following, it has drastically changed to a icon, a brand nowadays.
And with more marketing wwe is still getting lower ratings.
That just proves my point that the quality of the show has declined to a new low.

The shows aren't marketed the same as wrestling was hot during the attitude era, not to mention there was less competition in those days. A rating is a score deprived from a total of people with Neilson boxes. More Neilson boxes = higher percentage = a 4.0 being 40000 viewers in the 90's whilst now it takes 400000 (not direct numbers but the principle applies.)
Also see this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings#Ratings.2Fshare_and_total_viewers
The highest rated shows have fallen dramatically.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Well, this PG (but for kids) era is already transforming into something else, the "reality", "shoot", "trending" era, and I don't like it. You see wrestlers breaking the kayfabe EVERYWHERE - you have shoot promos, shirts with the words like JOBBER on, etc. I mean, older fans already know shit like that, and it may be "cool" for them bcuz they are not used to it, but it does a great amount of damage of kids, tbh. It's just confusing them. I certainly don't like this approach WWE seems to taking since the summer of 2011.

Kayfabe needs to stay well and alive. That's why I wacth Ring Ka King, it's still 80s there. Ooooh, yeaaah!

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
JoeRulz said:
Well, this PG (but for kids) era is already transforming into something else, the "reality", "shoot", "trending" era, and I don't like it. You see wrestlers breaking the kayfabe EVERYWHERE - you have shoot promos, shirts with the words like JOBBER on, etc. I mean, older fans already know shit like that, and it may be "cool" for them bcuz they are not used to it, but it does a great amount of damage of kids, tbh. It's just confusing them. I certainly don't like this approach WWE seems to taking since the summer of 2011.

Kayfabe needs to stay well and alive. That's why I wacth Ring Ka King, it's still 80s there. Ooooh, yeaaah!

Is it even possible to kayfabe alive? After all with all the social media sites we can see every move a wrestler takes, many of them breaking characters. Not to mention other sites such as wikipedia. Say if Kane debuted tomorrow it wouldn't have the same feel if we all knew Glen Jacobs was the man behind the mask. The information seems to be too freely available.

SpaceR

The Artiste
Reaction score
seabs said:
Is it even possible to kayfabe alive? After all with all the social media sites we can see every move a wrestler takes, many of them breaking characters. Not to mention other sites such as wikipedia. Say if Kane debuted tomorrow it wouldn't have the same feel if we all knew Glen Jacobs was the man behind the mask. The information seems to be too freely available.

The worst thing about today is the social media. When a wrestler comes out, there Twitter username is under their name. It shows what's trending on Twitter at the bottom. Twitter and Facebook is all that matters to them nowadays. After commercials, those little ads that say that WWE has more fans then the NFL, this guy, that company than it shows Twitter standings. It's getting out of control. Michael Cole always talks about him tweeting while commentating and how he used to get emails from the RAW GM. That just annoys me.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
The mentions annoy me but it's not too high on my list. They can keep twitter and focus on the midcard and team divisions for now.

Asskicker

Champion
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It doesn't even matter the fact is Linda has to die already because WWE would have cooler stuff if they had more money on them but Linda keeps draining it down for her failure campaigns. It's like Marie Antoinette all over again -_-

JC4Life37

The Showoff
Reaction score
Seabs is on point

In the states, Roseanne, Jerry Springer, Beavis and Butt-head, That 70's Show, Married with Children were all anti-authority

Steve Austin (and NWO) represented a society that enjoyed thrills and spills.

If Vince has his way, WWE will never change from this b/c this PG style is the way he is most comfortable booking.... without competition.

The best way for change is the need for competition.

JeebaK

Future Endeavoured
Banned
Reaction score
Crayo said:
Ratings doesn't mean how many people watch the show. That's viewership.

#Learn2RatingsMark

I have a fetish for The Miz's left ball can anyone help me?

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
seabs said:

Well, it works perfectly for TV shows and movies. It's just that WWE decided to go onto another (stupid) level by breaking the kayfabe. You have this other companies like TNA, ROH and others using Twitter, Facebook, YT, etc. to develop and put over their stories, feuds and events, not to be "reality driven". It's all how you use it.