Why Did Punk Lose To People's Elbow?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Blujay

Reaction score
When Rock got the pinfall off of the People's Elbow I admit I felt underwhelmed. I too would've liked to see the Rock Bottom end it instead.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Rock Bottom always too a second glance at the Peoples Elbow.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am constantly amazed that any thread involving The Rock and CM Punk becomes so popular, people just have really strong differing opinions on what should/shouldn't happen.

On the People's elbow finishing the match I have no issue with it, it is one of his two finishers so it is fine to end a match like that.

Is it just me or is anyone else a bit disappointed that they had to cover the ring with curtains to ensure that the finish to the match wouldn't leak? Same goes for them having to hide Jericho in a bus so that his return wouldn't be spoiled. Bit sad that the company can't trust the staff at all to keep something quiet.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Well I'm not going to go into all the ridiculousness of this thread and Tapout's hatred for the Rock, I just want to say 2 things.

1) It's a finishing move and it served it's purpose
2) [MENTION=1891]Chris[/MENTION] is speaking a lot of truth in this thread.

Weez

Reaction score
I don't see why there is an argument here to begin with....Edge has won dozens of time with a spear and with him it didn't even look threatening, the guy's built like Jughead Jones ffs. I mean with a guy like Goldberg it looked frightening of course, but with Edge? No. Point is that it's a finisher and as the name indicates it's meant to "finish". If you want 100% accurate reality you should be watching documentary films, not WWE or any other kind of TV for entertainment.

BTW the only finishers that look legit brutal are the submission maneuvers, i.e Walls of Jericho, Figure four leg lock, crossface, sharpshooter etc.

I gotta be honest, Kaitlyn's spear on Eve when she won the Divas title? Holy shit. De-Cleated.

Jesus, guys. It's PRO WRASSLIN'!

It's not a fight. It's not boxing. You're not fighting a standing 10 count. You gotta be "incapacitated" for 3 seconds. Could a Piledriver do that? Yup. Could a Knee to the face do that, a la the GTS? Yeah.

Could an Elbow drop with all the force of Laying down coming at you? Probably not, But it's "WRASSLIN'". Who gives a shit?

Anyone remember that Draft show Battle Royale where Batista and Edge both went for a spear at the same time and busted each other open and knocked eachother senseless?

Yeah, "Jughead Jones" or not, They have some force behind them.

This thread is moot. "This fake move would totally not hurt IRL" Dear God, UFC is calling if you're that worried about it.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I am constantly amazed that any thread involving The Rock and CM Punk becomes so popular, people just have really strong differing opinions on what should/shouldn't happen.

On the People's elbow finishing the match I have no issue with it, it is one of his two finishers so it is fine to end a match like that.

Is it just me or is anyone else a bit disappointed that they had to cover the ring with curtains to ensure that the finish to the match wouldn't leak? Same goes for them having to hide Jericho in a bus so that his return wouldn't be spoiled. Bit sad that the company can't trust the staff at all to keep something quiet.

Think it's less the wrestlers and more the sound lighting camera guys etc. Some of these dirtsheet pay those guys some money for info. I mean thats where 45% of there info if from that's why it's so faulty cause those guys don't actually know whats going on they just think they do. The other 55% is just made up bullshit. Wish it weren't so but it is.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Gotta admit the argument about hypothetically how much an elbow drop would hurt in a street fight, it made me lol.

"your head would whiplash and hit the concrete"

:lol: fucking wrestling fans :lol:

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
You know what? I always thought Big Show's WMD finisher is one of the most underwhelming finishers in WWE. Probably the most realistic move on one hand, I mean a left jab from Show is probably deadly and a few people sell the impact so legit, but as a match ender it just has nothing on the Chokeslam. Its just way more hype, more fun. The WMD should be used more like Orton's punt was imo, a move that borders on illegal in kayfabe.

Punk's GTS is kinda cool, but again as a finisher it just seems so akward. I didn't think he'd stick to an over-the-shoulders finisher permanently when he first adopted it. I actually prefered the Uranage-Anaconda Vice combination because its a bit flashier and more versatile. Again, I'd have Punk pull out the GTS as a rare thing when he wants to send a statement to someone in one blow. But as his trademark maneuver, it just doesn't suit him. We just kinda accept it now. Much like The People's Elbow. In all its goofiness and weirdness when you place it in a real life context, its one of the most "fun" moves in wrestling. I agree the Rock Bottom is more satisfying move, but the way Rock gets the fans on their feet during the entire ending sequence shouldn't be understated as a powerful ending device. If there's any time to end a match with it, its when you want as much of a big ass finish as possible like at Royal Rumble.

Surprised no one has mentioned how pissed people would've been if he beat Punk with the Sharpshooter, the most technical move in Rock's arsenal.

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Think it's less the wrestlers and more the sound lighting camera guys etc. Some of these dirtsheet pay those guys some money for info. I mean thats where 45% of there info if from that's why it's so faulty cause those guys don't actually know whats going on they just think they do. The other 55% is just made up bullshit. Wish it weren't so but it is.

Fair call on that, it probably is more the support staff than the guys on the actual roster. Still pretty poor to leak something as big as that rather than just thinking that you were a part of it and knew it from the get go.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Gotta admit the argument about hypothetically how much an elbow drop would hurt in a street fight, it made me lol.

"your head would whiplash and hit the concrete"

:lol: fucking wrestling fans :lol:

It made me think of my younger brother's friends, some of whom think wrestling is still real. I wonder what's going to happen when they find out it's scripted.

Wonder if Tyler Durden would remove his elbow pads and flay his hands before wanting to destroy something beautiful.

Just watching the rumble atm. Fucking delays.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Threads like these make still know there are marks.

I don't see it as a bad thing either.