• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who should take on Taker?

The Rated R CMStar

I like the scenario in which JBL gives his spot to HBK to face The Undertaker, but as well, I make this question:

What does JBL does after? Do you think he will be left without a match at Mania?

The Rated R CMStar

Again, just starting the feud between JBL vs Taker would consume most of the 6 weeks, then, we would get HBK vs Taker with just 2 weeks of build up.

And JBL with nothing more to do than be on HBK's corner.

kingovkings

Reaction score
HBK With out a doubt. That match would be off the hook. I dont understand why most people want the streak to end though ?. I personally think it goes with taker. And it should remain unbeaten. As said above Taker can put people over by working them in the ring with out the streak having to be broken.

noumenon

I honestly don't see the problem in that. We've mostly seen nothing but JBL in HBK's corner over the past few weeks. That's one the whole point of this thing, HBK is doing all the work for JBL. And do you think any fan would feel robbed if they didn't see JBL wrestle at Mania? I sure as hell wouldn't.
It could culminate in a "Beat Taker or your fired" match at Mania.
It would really put a definate threat on Taker's streak. I'm not sure how'd they'd resolve it but we've still got a decent amount of time to figure it out before Mania.

CenaMark54

I don't see how his streak needs to be ended to put people over. It's one PPV out of the year and one of the few legends still going in WWE. Taker does a great job of putting people over. Simply working a good match with Taker makes anyone look great with his current gimmick.

Who is the last person that Taker put over by making them look great in a feud? You could say Edge, but he was already an over main eventer.

Sure, he may let them have a match or two, or maybe he gets beat down a few times. But, in the end, The Undertaker always stands tall. It does nothing for Taker, who will always be over, and it usually does nothing for his opponent. Where does his opponent go after losing a usually long, drawn out feud with Taker? Nowhere, they get sent back down to start from scratch and Taker moves on to the next victim.

It may just be one PPV. But it is also the biggest and most watched PPV of the year by an almost 2 to 1 margin. Its the perfect opportunity to create a new superstar.

All I am saying is that streaks should only matter in a scripted form of entertainment when they end. It holds no prestige whatsoever. Lets just say Andre retired with his "15 year" winning streak. What good would that have done? Nothing. Instead, the streak ended and Hogan became one of the most popular figures in pop culture.

noumenon

The WWE isn't going to take a chance in tarnishing a streak of a 20 year veteran to put over some rookie who may or may not make it big.
Agreed...Taker usually comes out on top. Just as HHH does......just as Cena does.......just as many MAIN EVENTERS do.
Just being in a feud with any of these guys is a huge rub for any lower card guy or rookie. Are we suppose to believe that a rookie or low card guy is suddenly going to break out and beat one of these guys? There are plenty of other guys who put people over to even get them to a level to face guys like Taker/Trips/HBK...ect ect but that doesn't mean he has to put everyone he faces over.

X-Sterl-X

Reaction score
Couple of Things

Firstly I believe the one who should wrestle Taker this year is Shawn Micheals just as everyone else said and pretty much for the same reasons, so there is my insight.

Secondly... Whoever wants Taker's streak just so he can put over people is not thinking logically. They have spent what is it now? 17 years? building up his streak and now you want to end all of that so he can start being kane? Why? Seriously Taker can put over people at other times of the year, just let him have his road to mania/mania, I'm sure he would much rather do that then end the streak, and seeing is how Vince pretty much lets taker call the shots for himself, I highly doubt the streak is going anywhere

CenaMark54

The WWE isn't going to take a chance in tarnishing a streak of a 20 year veteran to put over some rookie who may or may not make it big.
Agreed...Taker usually comes out on top. Just as HHH does......just as Cena does.......just as many MAIN EVENTERS do.
Just being in a feud with any of these guys is a huge rub for any lower card guy or rookie. Are we suppose to believe that a rookie or low card guy is suddenly going to break out and beat one of these guys? There are plenty of other guys who put people over to even get them to a level to face guys like Taker/Trips/HBK...ect ect but that doesn't mean he has to put everyone he faces over.

HHH basically made Hardy. Cena has put over Orton and Edge.

And I'm not saying a rookie hack should break his record. I'm saying someone on the cusp of superstardom. Like an Orton, Edge, or a Cena.

Andre put Hogan over and Hogan wasn't a young guy.

noumenon

^Guys like that are far enough along in their career and young enough that they don't need something like that to rocket them all the way to the top. All I'm saying is that the streak is Taker's thing...it's gone on this long...why end it now. And Taker as also made Orton, Edge and Hardy look good.

X-Sterl-X

Reaction score
Cena and HHH didn't put them over at Mania though, and Cena and HHH don't have this amazing streak gong either. So honestly for a man that dedicated to the buisness and to WWE I think he deserves to decide if he wants the streak ended or not. And for any of us to even question that is pretty dumb in my mind. Anyway the thread is about who should wrestle him at mania, not who should end his streak, so stop spamming the thread up people lol

CenaMark54

Cena and HHH didn't put them over at Mania though, and Cena and HHH don't have this amazing streak gong either. So honestly for a man that dedicated to the buisness and to WWE I think he deserves to decide if he wants the streak ended or not. And for any of us to even question that is pretty dumb in my mind. Anyway the thread is about who should wrestle him at mania, not who should end his streak, so stop spamming the thread up people lol

I specifically remember Cena AND HHH losing to Orton last year at Mania. I also remember HHH and HBK tapping out to Cena in the years prior. I also remember HHH putting over Batista at Mania. Other legends seem to have no issues with doing the job. But anyway.

In all seriousness, I like the idea of HBK/JBL vs Taker. That's probably the direction they will go. Which basically means Taker's streak will be alive for another year.

OWeapon

Reaction score
The Undertaker should keep his streak. Like others said, he can put over other talent any other time of the year. Hell, he put over Jeff Hardy a month or two ago. It's part of Taker's backstory, and should remain as such. Plus think of the historical part. If Taker loses his streak, then the streak pretty much loses much of its prestige. Yeah, it's still pretty awesome if he is whatever-1 at Wrestlemania, but whatever-0 sounds much better. It'll be a record for the voice-over guy to go on about over Taker's HoF video when it comes around in however many years after Taker's retirement.
And you gotta admit, Taker steps up his game exponentially at Wrestlemania. Many others do too, like HBK for example, but Taker is a stand-out.

Which leads on to that I think HBK vs. Taker would be one hell of a match. HBK doesn't need to break the streak. He's big enough. He's already the man who retired Ric Flair. But, he could sure have a fine attempt at it, and these two could and probably should, if paired together, put on the match of the night, and probably contend for Match of the Year. (Unless something unbelievably awesome happens somewhere else).

noumenon

Of course. These are the two guys who are synonymous with their WM performances. Both of which are probably near the end of their careers. There is no doubt it'll be an incredible match. It doesn't matter if HBK takes the pin at Mania...he's done so before....it's the calibur of the match that counts.

OWeapon

Reaction score
Exactly my point. HBK could take the pin, but still has the ability to come off better than Taker if that's how the WWE want to book it. That way, HBK stays strong and Taker keeps his streak. Everyone wins.