Who could have gotten over?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Mean Street Posse were over … nuff said

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
They were kinda over by association like Spirt Squad with Vince but yeah lol.

Derrick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
samicalihan
Uh, as someone said it, Heath Slater. He'd easily become one of the most hated heels back then.

Also, Tapout asked whether Roddy Piper would have gotten over if he debuted now, and my answer is NO. He'd end up as a midcard champ, but would never get to the main event. He'd end up jobbing to Kane at the end of the day, if he was debuting now.

Now, back to the whole Heath Slater thing. He's one of those Miz-like guys. Why Mizlike, well, they are those loudmouth heels with trademark catchphrases that make people boo the soul out of their bodies, if you get me. I can hear him yell I'M THE ONE MAN BAND BABY about 13 years ago and I imagine all the heat he'd get, and the same goes for Miz. Actually, Miz would be one of those heels that get cheered, if you ask me.

Another thing I've seen in this thread is that somebody mentioned Del Rio. Del Rio would have gotten over during the Ruthless Aggression era, or maybe at the end of it. Around 2003-2004, he'd be big. I could imagine him feud with guys like Benoit (imagine the match), or with the Evolution guys, maybe even Lesnar. Or Eddie, yeah with Eddie from those days. Remember the whole Eddie vs Chavo feud. The Guerreros were pretty over back then. I could see him feud with them. There are a lot of possibilities. Think about it.

As for Ziggler, Ziggler would have gotten over in the Attitude era, but with a slightly different gimmick. Less show off things and such, although I personally love the whole Show Off #HEEL thing.

Mr. Krueger

Reaction score
I agree with one of the comments in back which said that you needed to have "the look" to go over back then.

Sure, it has decreased now but it's still there.

As for who would have made it in attitude era, besides the name discussed, one name comes to my mind - Ted Dibiase. Man, he could have become such an awesome heel back in the day and could have possibly even taken the JBL role back then.

JakeeTheSnake

Reaction score
i believe miz would. he has the attitude most stars dont have. hes charismatic and he has incredible mic skills and can pull off a good heel

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
I don't think that CM Punk could have gotten over in the Attitude Era. Throughout the entire Attitude Era, there wasn't much space for guys like Punk. Awesome wrestler, great on the mic but back in the days, WWE didn't need many of these guys. Punk would make it big in WCW or ECW (ECW for sure) but in WWE? I don't think so.

You think Punk would be big in WCW? The company were Chris Jericho was in the Cruiserweight division? Motherfuck no. Goldberg is the only new WCW talent they pushed in their entire run. WCW was the worst political environment in the history of wrestling, there's no way he would've been given a break.

Punk could've definately gotten over, the whole damn roster was over. The only issue is if he would've gotten the opportunities. He could've EASILY gotten a big feud with Austin just based off his character and gotten absolutely monsterous heat. And that's even if he wasn't that good on the mic, just based on what his character is and the nature of Austin's own overness, but Punk is a master of promos, which would've amplified it even further. If they gave him a shot he would've exploded.

Last edited:

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
If you weren't 6'4 and weighed over 240 pounds, you weren't getting over in WCW. Well said Slayer

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Dean Malenko made a fine US Champion.

Mr. Krueger

Reaction score
^Dude, it took Benoit so many years to finally make it big. Get real. They wanted that big look back then- the powerhouse feel which Benoit didn't provide. (plus lack of mic skills). So, yeah. Your Dean Malenko being a US champion isn't really a counter argument. There are 10s of wrestlers to counter your point.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2
I think that wade berret could of been in the nwo

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Anyone could have been in the NWO :hm:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Anyone and everyone pretty much was lol.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Maybe I'm just a Dean Malenko fan.

Pete

Reaction score
If Beth Phoenix was around 7-10 years ago she would have made the perfect nemesis for Trish Stratus. That's a far distant era as far as the Diva's go.

I was about to type this. I could totally see it happening. Natalya, too, may have feuded with Trish without losing face.

Ryback would of course go over, and so would Punk, Sandow, Ziggler (a Ziggler-Rock feud would have been great!) and Del Rio (as a foil for Bradshaw - I could see a copycat storyline happening).

Mason Ryan and whoever that other big guy is - Jackson Andrews - because of their size. And since the cruiserweight scene actually existed back then, I could maybe see a Dashin' Cody or an Evan Bourne or Kofi (with slightly grittier gimmicks) getting over too.

Last edited:

Lewb

Reaction score
Ryback would have stolen Goldbergs thunder. If we can stretch away from current roster, I read who could have gotten over - and attitude era, and I instantly thought of Mike Knox. Wade Barrett would have been a huge star in attitude era i believe. Him against face Y2J would have been epic like Y2J and regal was.