Who could have gotten over?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
This question may seem a little hard, or even impossible to answer, but its just all for fun. Out of WWE's current roster, who do you think could have gotten over in the attitude era?

For example, I feel as if Ryback could have been a big time player in the attitude/WCW era. His style seems to fit that. I also think Dolph Ziggler could have gotten over in the attitude era. Punk is another obvious choice.

This isn't limited to just the attitude era, if you want. Could this current John Cena be able to get over in the 80's? Would Piper be able to get over today if he was young and just started out? Who do you think could have gotten over in another era, and do you think anyone would do better in another era.

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
As a heel, easily CM Punk could have. The whole Straight Edge thing could've been played up against Austin perfectly, as it still would today if the two were ever to meet. As a face, IDK if he'd fair as well. He still has an edge but it's more suited for today's time.

Another person that comes to mind is Kharma. She would have been a great opponent for Chyna. It would be like the female version of Hogan/Andre. Maybe not as memorable and spectacular but in terms of two larger than life female "divas", this could have worked.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I think it would have been interesting to see Cena in the 80s. I think he could have filled the shoes of Hogan if he had to. They have pretty similar face gimmicks anyways.

Kahuna

Reaction score
Well I can't compare or contrast from anyone in any era to another era, but I will say that Billy Gunn could have been world champ by 2000 - 2001 if he hadn't been buried by guys like Rock back in 2000 ish. He was heading in strong after 98-99, feuding with Triple H, coming close to winning the WWF Title and winning King of The Ring, then he was shoved back down to mid card status and was literally made to look weak. He could have been over, the Mr. Ass gimmick was over with everyone, not to mention one of the best theme songs in the business - but hindsight is 20/20.

Its that sort of John Morrison syndrome I guess. You come so close only to really get told "meh"

TKK

Reaction score
Are we talking the current roster or developmental as well? Chris Hero would get over in my opinion, I could see a feud with him and Austin being absolutely awesome. Dean Ambrose would have been a great fit in the attitude era as well.
As for the current roster, Damien Sandow would get over because their character differs from the majority of others from that time just like The Right To Censor. I also think that Heath Slater, Punk and Ziggler would get over during the attitude era.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
If Beth Phoenix was around 7-10 years ago she would have made the perfect nemesis for Trish Stratus. That's a far distant era as far as the Diva's go.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Everyone got over in the Attitude Era, look at jobbers like Eddie Guerrero and Steve Blackman.

The ones most suited would be Santino, Punk, Ryback, Cena, Ryder and Miz.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
The entire era was over. Too Cool was over for fucks sake. Wrestling was so hot that people were electric for everything.

CM Punk and Dean Ambrose have the most Attitude Era-esque personalities on the roster today. They would've been super over in the Attitude Era.....if they were given the opportunities. The Attitude Era wasn't exactly the best time for guys who didn't have "the look", though, so they're better off in the depleted era, as I think we need to call what we see in 2012.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Fans weren't spoiled like they are now, almost everyone could've goten over.

Watch old matches and compare the fan reactions to todays shows.

AF.

Reaction score
Del Rio could have been one of the biggest heels in wrestling if he was around during the attitude era. He struggles to draw heat in the modern era and I'm not really sure why because the guy is the total package. He has a good gimmick, can cut a good promo considering he can barely speak english and is a great wrestler. Just stuck in a difficult era and can't really get heat for himself.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Barrett could have been huge.

Bryan would have been insane in the midcard when it was tearing shit up with Jericho, Angle, Benoit, Eddie, Regal etc. Totally fap worthy.

AirBoom or Truth in Paradise would have been awesome when the tag division was in its peak.

Pretty much anyone would have gotten over in that era.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I don't think that CM Punk could have gotten over in the Attitude Era. Throughout the entire Attitude Era, there wasn't much space for guys like Punk. Awesome wrestler, great on the mic but back in the days, WWE didn't need many of these guys. Punk would make it big in WCW or ECW (ECW for sure) but in WWE? I don't think so.

Another man you mentioned, Dolph Ziggler. People say that Dolph is just Billy Gun of the PG Era. There is my answer, I don't think he could make it big either.

Now to wrestlers how I think would make it big in the Attitude Era. First, Wade Barrett. He's got everything. Wrestling Skills (decent for a big guy), is pretty good on mic and he fits the template of wrestlers WWE would push in late 90's.

Another name that quickly comes to my mind...Dean Ambrose. People were so hungry to see any type of wrestling but mostly it was Hardcore Wrestling. Can you imagine Dean Ambrose with his psychotic gimmick in the Attitude Era? PURE AWESOMENESS.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I don't get your logic with Punk and what you mean by guys like Punk. You mean cause of his size? Cause that wouldn't have mattered see HBK for example. You didn't really give a actual reason why he couldn't get over just that they didn't have much space for him which doesn't make sense and wouldn't factor into the crowd's view of him.

I don't exactly agree with the notion that anyone could get over back then just cause the crowd were more live. Rock originally didn't get over that well until further into his NOD days. HHH in his corporation stint as heel got okay reactions but wasn't overly over until late 99. Point just being you still had to work to be over back then as you do now just difference was reactions were louder once you did finally get over.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Just look at WWE's top superstars in the Attitude Era. Guys like Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, Foley and many more. These were entertainers. Lets face it, Last time Steve Austin "wrestled" was when he had his Ring Master gimmick. WWE didn't need wrestlers who can actually wrestle, they needed entertainers like SCSA who have a finisher that gets "popular", have some catchphrases that put the electricity in the arena whenever they say them.

Back in the Attitude Era, they had Chris Jericho who was one of their best actual wrestlers, they didn't need many of them. They used to put Jericho against guys like Stone Cold Steve Austin to make them look better in the ring. They had Jericho and if Punk would be a part of the WWE, he would be a basic jobber, nothing more.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Um that still has nothing to do with him getting over. Punk's main strength has always been his mic skills can go all the way back to his IWA days wasn't just something he got out of the blue. Why you think even after he got hurt a few years ago he still got used as a commentator because they felt they had to keep him on T.V with his mic ability. The Austin thing is so off base it's not even funny as I'm pretty sure he had some of the greatest wrestling matches with Bret twice which is post ringmaster. He only slowed down technically because of his neck injury. Cameback in 01 and picked up where he left off pre neck injury so you're pretty incorrect there. Then Jericho during his feud with HHH was as over as anyone and is one of the top mic workers so don't get your point with him either.

Punk has always been hailed more for his mic skills than his in ring skills which is why WWE signed him in the first place. Just so happens he's top notch as a in ring performer. Heel Punk with his straight-edge gimmick alone as said would have made him over as fuck esp if he feuded with Austin. And being that smart ass face would have gotten over just as good as well. His place on the card who knows where he would have ended up but that's not really the debate here how over guys would have gotten with the crowd is.