• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

What's next for Wade Barrett?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
That injury he had really set him back because ever since he returned he hasn't been able to find a way to get over. He was hot back when he was leader of Nexus but to be fair part of that would have been due to the style of the angle and the group. At that time it did seem like he had all the attributes required to be someone in WWE over the next few years but he hasn't come along as well as he should have. He needs a bit of a gimmick revamp and I agree that he could use a new finisher, something that looks a bit more powerful and punishing.

As for what is next for him he will probably hang around both midcard title scenes for the forseeable future until something changes with his act.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I've always liked Wade. The main problem is that WWE don't seem to know how to package the guy. He just has no image. Sure, Wade could use some improvement in the ring but I reckon his matches are far more entertaining now than when he was leading Nexus so he's on the way. However, most would agree those days are actually his peak thus far, whereas now he has zero intrigue.

The difference to me is that, even though I think Wade has actually improved as a performer, WWE are no longer to playing to the guy's strength: His mic skills. Wade Barrett's accent is damn sexy, don't you deny it. He's a joy to listen to when he has enough time and material to rant about something. During Nexus when he had an angle as this charismatic leader who would've sold them all out for something better, I saw potential in him as a really dastardly, underhanded bastard of a heel with the ability to hold his own. You know, a serious threat.

Since then, it's like WWE have tried two or three times just to re-introduce Wade Barrett to the audience and never really followed through. None of his new gimmicks, from the jacket and rose to the fight club vignettes, have been fleshed out enough at all for anyone to find interesting.

It's disappointing to me that Barrett may never become the upper carder I hoped he would because it seemed like WWE were really serious about him once (the story of a lot of people's careers apparently). Still, why just leave this stone unturned? The fact that he still gets regular airtime on Raw (never gets his entrance shown, though) gives me hope that WWE still have their eye on Wade. But as much as I like Bray Wyatt and Fandango for example, it'll be a bit crushing if they end up surpassing Wade in the long term because WWE were willing to take weird chances with them but sat on their hands with Barrett.

Reactions: 1 person

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Since then, it's like WWE have tried two or three times just to re-introduce Wade Barrett to the audience and never really followed through. None of his new gimmicks, from the jacket and rose to the fight club vignettes, have been fleshed out enough at all for anyone to find interesting.
Agreed with this. His Fight Club hype packages were pretty well done to be honest, I just don't know why when he returned, he came back in the generic wrestling gear instead of the jeans and boots combo he was sporting in the videos. Sure in the end up it might not have made any difference, but at least he would have stood out from the crowd.