What truly earns you a main event spot?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

Title says most of this topic. So really, we all know about the guys who are in the main event now, but in general, what is more important to you when your routing for someone to be mushed to the Main Event and become a main part of the show? Promo skills of mic skills?
Put it this way...
Say there are two wrestlers, and both are your favoprites and you like then equally, but only one can go into the main event...
Do you choose a guy like Hardy, whose great in the ring, and exciting but (although hes improving) is bad on the mic compared to others but is better in the ring. This way, yor guaranteed exciting matches and big crowd pops... Or do you choose the guy whose average in the ring and plays a power game (say a guy like Kennedy) and has the mic skills. This guy would guarantee you an interesting feud, great build up with a big match feel!
Keep in mind, it doesnt mean hardy and kennedy are the guys, im just saying them as examples. So ther question really is, to you, which is more important for a Main Event star to have?

My answer- Mic skills.
Face it, its a tv show, just like a soap opera or a movie, and to be entertained, I like a good feud.
Now, with a guy with average ring skills and great mic skills, you still get an average match, and maybe better if hes in the ring with a good inring guy, and your get that big match feel and you can really emotiaonally invest in the feud.
Whereas IMO, with the good in ring guy (noo mic skills) the matches can only get as good as they are now, cause hes at the top of his in ring game, and your not getting the big match/feud feel.
So I go with Id rather have the good mic skills/entertaining guy get pushed....

What about you?

Gards Jr.

Reaction score
If you look at it like that, well then how did Taker get to the main event. Anyway that is the only reason I can think of of bad Mic skills that are in the Main Event So I might say Mic Skill but If you have bad in ring skills then where would you go in the business. The are many Jobbers t6hat have good in ring skills and Good mic skills but are still jobbing Like Elijah Burke who is not even being used seriously. But anyway, I think it would be more important to have good Mic Skills over In ring skills but not by much.

C4

Talent and passion for the wrestling business itself is what truly deserves a main event spot, nothing else can compare to that! :ermm:

John Cena had the mic skills, the wrestling talent and the passion for the business and he got to the main event. So basically the three main ingredients of getting to the top of the ladder are: Mic Skills, Talent and passion.

OsamaHussian

Reaction score
For me it's: Promo ability, over-ness with the crowd, how much merchandise you sell and most of all drawing ability.

I would mention wrestling ability but come on, that's not what's it all about in WWE. Other wise you'd see Elijah Burke main-eventing Wrestlemania, or Jericho being the top dog at the moment. And if it was based on abilitys inside the ring do you really think it would've took Benoit as long as it did to become World Heavyweight Champion? The answer is no. You need to have the "WWE Package" to get anywhere in the Fed.

Mike1989

Reaction score
They have "it". Yes the age old word of they have "it" and when people ask what "it" is no one can give a definitive answer. But basically put when they go out there they can connect to the crowd, they can cut a promo which people buy into whether it be heel or face. They can wrestle to a good enough standard, do moves which get the crowd screaming etc. There's a lot, they also have to look the part. Someone mentioned Taker well the guy looks the part of a monster and thus his success. Whereas Mordecai or Kevin Thorn looks like a total prat and hence his lack of success. Therefore its a lot of things moulded into one - looks, mic ability, connection with the fans, wrestling ability and just a general great personality whether its to get booed or cheered.

CT Styles

I think Mic Skills. The reason being, even if he talks himself up and is shit in the ring that can give him heel heat. Kinda like MVP when he began. He can talk himself up and then flee from the ring when in trouble. Then he could eventually start to do matches and win by cheating if he is that horrible. But mic skills definitely. You just need them because like MikeRaw said, it's a TV show. Plus look at Cena, he has 5 moves but is great on the mic and is the Main Event. Well used to be when he was champ. But people like Cena have the X Factor which is what you need to make it big in wrestling or most things. So Mic Skills is my choice.

Reaction score
Good mic skills, good crowd reactions, and decent wrestling skills.
You mostly need good crowd reactions and mic skills since its entertainment
Wrestling skills doesnt matter if you dont have good mic skills and crowd reactions because its entertainment.
So a main eventer is mostly about good mic skills, good crowd reactions, and decent wrestling skills.

Qwake

Well alot of things really, you would have to have a really good gimmick first off, something new and different to most others. Then you would also have to have a great moveset, a big moveset and most of the moves in it would have to be entertaining to watch and have to look painful. You also need to be either awesome on the mic or atleast decent. If you are great with everything but average on the mic it would still work...The main one tbh would have to be Mic skills, the others are really important to though!

Slyfox696

Reaction score
To be in the main-event, you must be entertaining. That's the long and short of it. If you are not entertaining, you are not a good wrestler. One of my favorite things is when posters try to differentiate between an entertainer and a wrestler. They'll say something like "John Cena is an entertainer, and Bryan Danielson is a wrestler". Which always leads me to reply with "So, does that mean that Bryan Danielson is not entertaining?". Never have gotten an answer on that.

Anyways, you must be entertaining to be in the main-event. If you are entertaining, you will get good heat, you will get good pops, and you will be over with the crowd.

So, what makes someone entertaining? Easy. When you can make fans care about your CHARACTER, then you are well on your way to entertaining fans. Professional wrestling is just like acting. The best wrestlers are the ones who make you actually feel as if they are a really person, and can draw you into their matches and storylines and elicit real emotions from you.

So, how does a professional wrestler make you care about their character? That's where it comes down to the six tools of a professional wrestler. 5 of them refer to in-ring ability. Storytelling, Psychology, Workrate, Selling and Charisma. Number 6 is Mic skills.

Storytelling refers to the ability to get across to fans whatever story the match is supposed to be using. A very basic and common story in wrestling is the classic Good Guy comeback against Evil. Psychology is the ability to work in the ring as your character would work. Doing moves that makes sense for your character, and doing them in a logical fashion. Workrate is the ability to "work" a crowd. In professional wrestling, a "shoot" is when something turns real, and a "work" is when they try to make you believe something fixed is something real. Thus, "workrate" refers to the ability of a wrestler to draw fans into the match, and make them suspend disbelief. Selling, of course, refers to the ability to make your opponents offense look real. Charisma is the ability of a wrestler to connect with a crowd, and understand what they want, and how to give it to them. And mic skills refer to the ability of a wrestler to get across the point of a promo. They don't have to be clever, witty, or draw a lot of heat. They just have to get across what is supposed to be gotten across. Obviously some wrestlers are better than others in certain areas, but, just like in video games, it is the collective overall ability that gauges your success.

When you combine these six, the better you are overall in these areas, the more people will care about your character. And the more people care about your character, the more entertaining you are. And the more entertaining you are, the better wrestler you are. And the better wrestler you are, the more likely you are to be in the main-event.

Romo Is God

Reaction score
Then you would also have to have a great moveset, a big moveset and most of the moves in it would have to be entertaining to watch

Explain Warrior, Batista, Austin, Rock, and Cena (I could go on) then.

Regardless of how stale a routine is, a moveset really doesn't matter.

Qwake

Explain Warrior, Batista, Austin, Rock, and Cena (I could go on) then.

Regardless of how stale a routine is, a moveset really doesn't matter.

what, Batista has alot of moves, the Rock has the peoples elbow which got him up and others, cena with the F-u and others. Stone cold was pure mic skills and thats it...They should have good movesets...

The Rated R CMStar

I am sorry but movesets doesn't matter. In fact, main eventer usually have short, reduced movesets.

Slyfox696

Reaction score
I am sorry but movesets doesn't matter. In fact, main eventer usually have short, reduced movesets.
Movesets do matter, just not the number of moves in the moveset. Your moveset should consist of logical and believable moves for your character.

Hometown Kid

Movesets do matter, just not the number of moves in the moveset. Your moveset should consist of logical and believable moves for your character.

Explain why the Undertaker walks on the ropes...it's obviously more about mic skills than ring work...If the thread was what SHOULD be more important ring skills win hands down IMO.