Undertaker's next and final Wrestlemania match

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Doomsday

Reaction score
Assuming it is his final match.... seems like a safe assumption...
Who should he face?

I get the feeling he is somehow going to be inserted into Rock vs. Cena
Other then that there is no-one else for him to face, unless WWE decide to sign Sting.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
The rumours that made the rounds not long ago was HHH/Undertaker 2. Dunno how much stock I'd put into that because I have no idea how they would top that last match.

I'm still a fan of the Undertaker/Jericho idea but I'm not setting my hopes very high for that one either.

...god...

Reaction score
Gonna go ahead and say that he won't be competing at WM this year. Almost 90% sure of it, and if he does, I think it'll be against Del Rio. There's no way they'll pass up Cena and Taker so that means we'll see it at WM 29 as his 20th match.

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^I hope you are right. Anything else seems forced and for the sake of it. They only get to do this 'last days of taker' deal once, so let's not fuck it up now.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
My question is, do you let Taker rest with the streak intact? Or do you have Cena beat him and send him off with one of those cool respect handshakes (which I've heard Taker just wants to fade away from the scene, not make a big deal of it a-la Ric & Shawn)?

I'm not sold on ending the streak, ever... I think it's the perfect way to immortalize the legend forever, where... 100 years from now, people will KNOW. BUT, (farfetched internet fandom takes over right here) if Cena were to win and then not shake Taker's hand and beat him down so bad he could never return... that would be the heel turn of all heel turns imo.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that if the streak doesn't end it's possibly the biggest waste in the history of pro wrestling.

I really hate the way some people treat Undertaker's streak like it's something real that he actually had to fight for and that him losing at WM would somehow diminish what he's done throughout his entire career. What happens if the Undertaker never loses at WM and then retires? Nothing. Nothing at all comes of it and it just sits there as some record that people actually think means something. If he loses though, and to the right person for the right reasons then the idea of the streak continues and actually gives something back.

I also don't like the idea of Cena winning and it ending with a mutual respect handshake, in that case it still means nothing because Cena really doesn't gain anything from it that he didn't already have. I've also given up on the idea of Cena turning heel anytime soon because he really is a huge cash cow. He's going to need to be run into the ground just like Hogan was before they even honestly consider a heel turn.

I think though that this highlights an even bigger problem in the WWE and that's that there really isn't anyone anymore who is threatening enough to beat Undertaker and actually do something with it.

I thought Edge a few years ago should have taken it, but in retrospect I'm glad that he didn't because he wouldn't have gotten much mileage out of it. This is the kind of thing that should cement a career, not make a career or prop up somebody who doesn't need it.

...god...

Reaction score
If Cena wins in typical face fashion it would ALSO be the biggest waste in wrestling history, and make any true wrestling fan sick to his fucking stomach about ever watching the WWE again. I'd rather it actually have a deserving purpose for a deserving guy. I'd accept Cena winning if he turned crazy heel and the build-up was good. But yeah, I'm saying 100% sure that Undertaker isn't competing at WM this year. There's absolutely no point for him to, it'd be Blue and waste, they won't do it. Undertaker's streak is a main draw, it's the centerfold for the show now and has been for the past 3 years, why/how the fuck would they build this to NOT take a backseat to THE ROCK VS. JOHN CENA, probably the biggest match of all time or the Punk/Austin/HHH rumors in the works. It's impossible, it can't be done, and trying to would diminish the streak and the legend of the Undertaker FAR more than just having him fucking skip a WM. Not a big deal, he skipped 16. It'll mean so much more when he comes back as well.

noumenon

Reaction score
I'm going with an Undertaker appearance being kind of doubtful this year. The last we heard the guy was beyond banged up and had no business being in the ring. The most obvious match would have obviously been Cena vs. Taker but obviously that's not going to happen. Let the Rock/Cena and Punk/HHH?/Austin? be the selling points for the PPV this year and give the guy some rest.

Reaction score
I also don't like the idea of Cena winning and it ending with a mutual respect handshake, in that case it still means nothing because Cena really doesn't gain anything from it that he didn't already have. I've also given up on the idea of Cena turning heel anytime soon because he really is a huge cash cow. He's going to need to be run into the ground just like Hogan was before they even honestly consider a heel turn.

And this is why the Rock-Cena match couldn't be worse timing. This is the true last money match that the E has, Rock doesn't count as money, it's probably costing them as much as they'll make off him to have this match and he isn't a full time worker, so it's more of a spectacle than anything. But Taker-Cena, it's been what, almost ten years since they've had any kind of interaction? Taker should be pinning Cena for # 20, which would draw insane numbers and it's safe to speculate that they might have been better off going this route as I don't see Cena-Rock drawing some Attitude Era number as Rock's presence didn't exactly shoot the moon. 20 is something special. Taker has to go over and over someone big. He's already dumped Trips twice, why do that again? He could thump Orton again, which I'd rather more than Trips, but that still doesn't equate to what Cena-Taker would be and there isn't anyone near worthy of this. Just getting this match is a push of a high degree. Maybe Punk? Either way, he needs to thump whomever it may be then do the job as he retires 20-1.

Doomsday

Reaction score
This is the true last money match that the E has, Rock doesn't count as money, it's probably costing them as much as they'll make off him to have this match and he isn't a full time worker
The Rock says it's not about the money... remember his return speech?

give the guy some rest.
The damage is done. All the R & R in timespace won't heal the injuries he has.
I'm not him, but from what I've heard his back is shot and his knees are going too.
If he developed a problem with narcotic pain killers in the future, I wouldn't be suprised.

...god...

Reaction score
There's been no clarification to any of that, a guy who's knees are nearly shot can fly over the top rope at 6'7"? Bullshit. And it's just as Blue to think a guy like Undertaker is addicted to painkillers as it would be someone like Triple H or HBK.

Airfixx

Reaction score
No mention of "Daphne for the streak" in this thread, Doomsday?

...god...

Reaction score
anyways, if Undertaker doesn't return at or before Vengeance, which happens to be in San Antonio, Texas, like the WWE magazine hinted then I don't think he will be at WM. But if he comes back for revenge on Wade Barrett, which I hope he does because Smackdown and the WWE is seriously lacking star power, he'll prob stick around and it'll be Del Rio. He's has stated constantly that his dream match would be Taker and the guy seems like the type who has a good backstage reputation and would warrant that type of match. Del Rio is also 3rd generation.. he's a passionate wrestler, so it's highly unlikely, like Orton, that he would be 'future endeavored' or leave...

Loool btw, I just realized/remembered that the HIAC PPV is literally TWO WEEKS After NoC and then 3 more weeks after that is Vengeance. Holy clusterfuck.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Where are these reports of his back being shot?

If his back was shot, he wouldn't be riding motorcycles around TX with Michelle McCallaway

The only injury I heard he had that was legitimately spoken of was the shoulder problem he ignored so he could do the match with Trips and it has left one of his arms substantially weaker. I didn't see much proof of that vs. Trips, but you could tell he slimmed down a lot which would come from the lack of ability to work out... but that picture of him bald, he looked like he was a little bigger than he was at Mania.

If Taker were going to have a meaningful match at Mania this year, the only opponent would be Orton... and I don't personally see them setting Orton up for another loss on a big PPV... BUT if Orton's continued development is to have some sort of payoff (only if a dramatic change to his character happens) then I can see the match being meaningful enough to put on.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Damn see this is a hard one. Because as said earlier there really isnt anyone credible left who Taker hasnt wrestled at mania. Except Cena, which isnt happening due to the other dream match we're getting. But Del Rio and Orton are pretty much the only two I see facing Taker at WM.

The guy doesnt have much time in the ring left so I really hope we see a return at Vengeance and, as said earlier, if he were to attack Wade Barrett for revenge from last year then that would be fucking ideal. It would be the feud that pushes Barrett to the next level and Taker could put him over like no one else can. But could Taker go back on the road every night from Vengeance til Mania? Maybe in our wildest dreams but in reality no it cant happen. He can probably come back for a short feud with Barrett, then rest up til Mania, but if the WWE doesnt build anyone up ALOT by then, well I guess Takers best option would be to sit this year out.