UFC 128: Shogun VS Jones

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dante Cross

Reaction score
isnt Faber from WEC? Is this the PPV where WEC begins to merge with UFC...or has it already happened?

Ben

Reaction score
They already merged a few months back, UFC has a 135 and 145 weight classes now with titles for both, most of the WEC guys have and will be getting fight over the next few shows.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
merge happened ages ago Dante.

i'm an epic Faber mark so i'll be backing my boy to get the W.

also the main event is enough to have you sporting a semi. Trying to keep my expectations low but i'm HYPED for it.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I can see it being Akiyama & Cro Cop's last UFC fights.

Prelims look great, btw.

Ben

Reaction score
Whole card looks awesome tbh, this trough 130 has the potential to be some of the best cards on PPV that they've ever put on.

WAR Jones and Faber. Need to do Faber/Torres next and then through him against Cruz for the title.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
They won't blow their load on Faber/Torres just yet.

I agree that the whole card looks great. I want to see every fight.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Fucking hope Bones wins, but can see Shogun pummelling his skinny legs until he drops.

bobd418

Reaction score
I will go with Jones to win. He is skinny for sure but is gutsy as well.

Ben

Reaction score
Jones said he would fight Rashad if he wins this fight and the UFC wanted him to. This is coming off a interview Rashad did the other day where he said he wouldn't move up or down in weight with a Jones win.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeah, his coach practically told him hes a dumbass, moving down means he has Nate Marquardt and possibly GSP in his division, and moving up he has Carwin, all teammates and legit contenders that he would have to face at some point.

The only thing is that a Jones v Evans fight would turn out like Quarry/Starnes, they are best friends so would be backing away from each other the whole fight.

LLCoolJoel

Reaction score
We all know that Jones shouldn't have had this fight.... Destiny has placed him in front of Shogun but let's be honest just because he doesn't deserve the fight, doesn't mean he isn't ...ready for it.

Jones is a very capable fighter who is a legitimate threat to Shogun. Chances are I have already said this but I will say it again.

Jones is a fighter that you can't emulate in training. He is an unorthodox striker that is effective, 84.5 reach...... Yes I said that an 84.5 inch reach. Yes Shogun has more fights over bigger name. But people are too willing to forget that over the past 4 years Shogun has only fought 5 times..... So using his experience is a useless point, one of those he lost by submission as the virtually unbackable (predicted) winner against Forrest Griffin, one he lost to Lyoto Machida his only good win in the UFC was a KO over Lyoto with his 2 other "wins" against over the hill fighters in Mark Coleman and Chuck Liddell.

I see this as a perfect storyline for an "upset", which is why I believe that Jon Jones can beat Rua and convincingly.

Jones by TKO third round.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
what are you on son? 5 times in 4 years means his lifetime of fighting experience doesn't matter? what?

he should've got the decision first Lyoto fight, fucked him up 2ndfight, Griffin and Coleman fights he was coming off a huge injury layoff and Liddell was still considered a threat when Shogun faced him. It promises to be a brilliant fight and while i'm on the BONES JONES wagon there are so many people sleeping on Shogun. Primarily b/c they have never watched PRIDE and have no idea about him as a fighter besides what they've seen in the octagon.

LLCoolJoel

Reaction score
what are you on son? 5 times in 4 years means his lifetime of fighting experience doesn't matter? what?

It means nil in this game, fight time is a proper method for building cardio, who cares about having a resting heart rate of 42..... I can assure you that it won't be that low when Jones is on top of him. So having all of his fights means nothing when you think of the time off he has had over the years.... including the year he just had off.

he should've got the decision first Lyoto fight

This is a fight is a fight that could have gone either way so the decision was always going to be "controversial". He got the fight coming off of 2 wins that shouldn't have mattered. He shouldn't even have been a challenger yet.

Griffin and Coleman fights he was coming off a huge injury layoff

Every fighter comes into a fight injured, if they don't they simply haven't trained hard enough. Ask any fighter and they would tell you the same.

Besides the point barely getting past a fighter who was as broken down as Mark Coleman it took him to the limit and was 44 years old and it took Shogun until the very last 30 seconds to put him away.

Liddell was still considered a threat when Shogun faced him.

He had one fight after this and retired. He was on a massive slide since UFC beating Tito Ortiz the second time. Coming off the KTFO of the century aswell. He wasn't considered a threat.

It promises to be a brilliant fight and while I'm on the BONES JONES wagon there are so many people sleeping on Shogun. Primarily b/c they have never watched PRIDE and have no idea about him as a fighter besides what they've seen in the octagon.

If someone disagrees with you does that automatically make them a noob to MMA? People are sleeping on him because Jon Jones is a serious threat regardless of the fight records. He is as dangerous as a fighter can be.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
1) disregarding a lifetime of experience in the fight game is absolutely asinine
2) regardless of the controversy, it was still a bloody good performance
3) injury layoff =/= coming into the fight injured. huge difference.
4) people were still saying that the Evans fight was a fluke. hindsight is 20/20, at the time it was still a big fight and one that Liddell wasn't being counted out of.
5) Not what i said. Judging by that response you have never watched PRIDE. Thus you haven't seen a large body of Shogun's fights. Thats all i said, thats all that was implied. So settle down and relax :)

LLCoolJoel

Reaction score
1) disregarding a lifetime of experience in the fight game is absolutely asinine

Not when you can't count the Soccer kick and head stomp KO's for anything in the UFC because under the Unified Rules those are both highly illegal. Discounting the long lay offs he has had within the last 4 years...... how can you compare a fighter who isn't/cant be the same fighter he was?

2) regardless of the controversy, it was still a bloody good performance

On both sides and I won't disagree there. I was just saying that it was a good close fight that wouldn't have annoyed me with either decision.

3) injury layoff =/= coming into the fight injured. huge difference.

Not really if anything you should be injury free besides the bruises of training in the harsh environment. Coming into a fight injured is worse because you know you shouldn't be fighting but your pride won't allow you to pull out unless it is dire.

4) People were still saying that the Evans fight was a fluke.

I don't remember many people besides those fans who couldn't let the Chuck of old go. It was shown that after the Quinton Jackson KO he wasn't the same. You can see it in the Jardine fight...... his reaction speed slowed down. In the Wanderlei fight his hands were less potent and you could see in the Rua and Franklin fights (I will not count the Rashad fight because that was a home run of a KO) that his chin was gone.

Hindsight is 20/20, at the time it was still a big fight and one that Liddell wasn't being counted out of.

It was a big fight because he is a big name Chuck Liddell is synonymous with MMA and he wasn't counted out because he had the "punchers chance".

5) Not what i said. Judging by that response you have never watched PRIDE.

Thus you haven't seen a large body of Shogun's fights. Thats all i said, thats all that was implied.

Of course I haven't I have only seen 1 UFC PPV it just happened to be Shogun vs Machida.:rolleyes:

So settle down and relax :)

I am relaxed, I think me and you are going to enjoy some good debates.