TT.Tiger tamer

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

yeah, it's not about word limits, it's about no limits! and it's impossible for me to write to a standard, it makes things too contrived.

Alex Shelley shall save the X-Division. :yes:

I have a spot or two in mind when I start writing some matches, but the rest of it just comes as I write. I generally try to stick to some psychology, otherwise the match looks stupid.

The Leviathan

Reaction score
What you see when you read my matches is how they've flowed from my brain. I type it as I visualize it. I think that works better because it allows more creative freedom because you're not pigeonholed into going down one path.

I agree, the match will be awesome if you managed to visualize or imagine it in your mind while typing it. I also try to visualize some promos but nah, I still suck! :p

The Rated R CMStar

I try watching some matches of the wrestlers in questions, look at some of the spots they usually do and see if they can come into play with the general idea I have for the match.

y2j__legend

Reaction score
Another question, does anyone have an amount of words which equals a minute. I know that me and a few others such as PARA have the 200 words per minute rule, what do other people do?

THE Renegade Diesel

Reaction score
Never heard of any other ratio's, but I think thats all a crock of bs. If you have someone who recapps every aspect from the beads of sweat on their face, to the miscalculated steps, obviously it will take them a lot more to write a few lock transitions, and a finisher being countered than someone who just gets to the point.

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

I know that me and a few others such as PARA have the 200 words per minute rule, what do other people do?

I hate words:minute ratios with a passion. Half the time in a match it's one person waiting on their opponent to get up. How are you supposed to write that other than "wrestler A waiting on wrestler B to get up"? Besides it's really hard to tell how long a series of spots would take in real life. I could write something that would be like 200 words and it would only be like 30 seconds if it's light heavyweight action or something. Payperview matches should be longer than weekly matches because you want to convey that people are trying harder to win. And ditto on the match psychology TBKB. That's something I always try to include. I try to have everything that happens in a match make sense (unless it's a comedy spot). As far as promos go some are easier to write than others since they just speak normally (Generico is really easy since all he says is Ole!). The only thing that can help promos is to watch the wrestlers.

Evil Austin

I don't have the ammount of word per minute rule when I write - I don't put at the end of a match also "Winner John Cena at 10.20" I don't see a point in it. I just write until I feel it is time to end it that's about it.

seX-Power

I put the time of the match at the end, but it really doesn't mean anything to me. I just put the times in before I write the matches as then it gives me an idea of how much I will write, and if the competitors will go all out or not.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
I have a weird writing style. Its kinda like a mix of a flowing from my mind like others have said, and have a set standard like others have also said. Mostly, I flow from my brain and if its a quick squash match, one paragraph. If its an average match, two to three paragraphs. Main Event type match, 3+ paragraphs depending on match flow. I'm not going to push myself to write 5+ pages per PPV match just to make it seem more meaningful. I understand my style aint very popular or effective for interesting reading, but if I try and push myself to the standards of others, I burn out within 3 shows. Its all about having fun anyway, with or without positive feedbacks.

THE Renegade Diesel

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on feuding a federation with an actual promotion (hence ROH, TNA, WWE).

seX-Power

^ If it's TNA or ROH or something other than WWE then i'd be happy as it would be fresh. Maybe you could pretend the Monday Night Wars went in WCW's favor and start a war with WCW?

Meh, it's a possibility, but interbrand storylines are always interesting.

Evil Austin

You know I was actually thinking of doing ECW 'classic' vs. TNA at one point in time. I actually had like a backstory on how it came back. which a few of you may have read from another 'unmentionable' place. But that never worked out.

Moonlight Drive

K, I know this should probably be in 'Show your Talent'. But noone ever visits that thread and I actually want some opinions on this. Besides it's not really about 'showing my talent'

Yeah, so this is a promo I'm halfway through for a BTB I'm working on with another member. I've tried a more descriptive style, I was wondering whether that improved the promo or just made it drag on.

----

Break the Walls Down’ plays over the PA system as Y2J, Chris Jericho, steps out onto the stage. Jericho moves down the ramp with the saunter and sneer we’ve all come to expect as he enters the ring, wearing one of his usual lavish suits. The crowd begin to rain heat upon the former World Champion, ,who snarls slightly as he moves the microphone up to his lips.

Jericho: I see that the fans here are just as hypocritical and ignorant as every other group of wrestling fans.

This remark causes the crowd to unleash more boos and hisses directed at Y2J, but he just sneers with contempt and begins to speak again.

Jericho: Looks like this time some of your idiocy as rubbed off on me, here I am, thinking that there was a possibility that not all wrestling fans were blind, mindless sheep, but I was wrong.

The crowd boo but do not bother Jericho, as he chuckles before continuing.

Jericho: But berating and exposing the fans as the scum they are is not the reason I am out here tonight. This company right now does not have a champion, and that is not an image that should be sustained. The fools and hypocrites off this company such as John Cena, Shawn Michaels and The Rock should walk to the back of the line…

The crowd pop huge at the mention of some of their favourite stars, infuriating Jericho as he continues with a predominant growl in his tone

Jericho: And Paul Heyman should present the championship to the only man deserving of it in this company, actually in fact, in any wrestling company, the greatest professional wrestler of all time, Chris Jericho!

The crowd launch heat like a battalion of archers upon Y2J, before beginning a thunderous ‘You Suck’ chant. Jericho glares at the crowd before chuckling calmly and speaking into the microphone yet again

Jericho: When will you learn your opinion’s do not matter! You can chant all you want, it does not and will never change the fact that-

‘Sexy Boy’ plays over the loud speakers as the fans erupt with appreciation for the legendary Heart Break Kid. Jericho’s reaction is far less pleasant as he glares down towards the stage, Shawn Michaels strutting out with a cheeky grin on his face as Jericho looks furious in the ring. Michaels already has a microphone with him and begins to speak

HBK: Jericho, looks like a little bit of your idiocy has rubbed off on me. You see, I actually though, that Chris Jericho might actually might not be such a pompous fool in WAW, but oh how wrong I was. You’re still whining, demanding and chucking tantrums like a 2 year old. But it’s risen to a whole new level, now you’re claiming to be the greatest wrestler of all time? Jericho, you step into the ring with The Icon, The Showstopper, The Main Event, The Heartbreak Kid, Shawn Michaels, and I will prove to the world that the only thing you are is the worlds greatest liar.

Y2J walks around the ring angrily as the crowd cheer, before stopping at the ring ropes and leaning on them with one arm towards Shawn, laughing low in his throat and speaking again

Jericho: Shawn, when will you learn that you’re past it. You had your time in the spotlight, back in 1996. But your legacy is forever tarnished now you try to come and steal the shine away from true superstars like me. I am going to be the WAW Champion, and there is nothing you can do about it. I’m never going to wrestle you again!

Heat surrounds Chris like an oven as the proverbial ball is thrown back to the Showstopper, who begins to speak.

HBK: Why is that Chris? Is it because you think you can beat me, or you don’t want to find out you can’t?

Y2J’s facial expression turns from joy to rage as Michaels smiles at Jericho.

Jericho: You know what Shawn? I accept!

The fans throughout the arena pop huge as Shawn removes his shirt and walks down to the ring, Y2J beginning to take off his jacket and unbutton his shirt. Before the two can fight however, ’Voices’ plays throughout the arena, signalling the entry of the Legend Killer. Sure enough, Randy Orton steps out onto the ramp and begins his slow walk to the ring, his stern, calculated stare unchanged as he enters the squared circle and retrieves a microphone. Y2J and HBK remove their eyes from one another and look at Randy.

Orton: Well isn’t this cute. The old enemies get it on more time for championship gold. Please, both of you, it’s about time you both left for good. The One Man Dynasty is about to begin, and by the time it’s over, both of you will be forgotten relics only remembered by the ones who are old enough to remember your greatest triumphs. This is the Age of Orton. Jericho, Michaels, that belt is mine. If either of you disagree, I’d be glad to kick your heads in and climb over your bodies.

Randy drops the mic as each man stands poised to strike in the ring, each one waiting for another to make the first move.

TO BE CONTINUED...

----

Thoughts?

seX-Power

^ It didn't make the promo drag on but it didn't make it any better imo. The descriptions of crowd reaction aren't really necessary and could be saved for PPVs.