• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Perhaps the Japanese have a stricter and more focused training regime?

Yeah...according to Dean Ambrose its a HUGE problem...but...
there are some performers that make it work...such as the Miz
and Alexa Bliss.
Like I said earlier on. The Japanese work with much smaller classes, so not only do you get much more attention from the trainer. But you also get a much more rigorous and focused training regiment.

Just listening to WOR and heard how there's a guy in New Japan having his second match that's doing better than guys do after 2 years in the PC...

I'd blame WWE's overscripting more than anything else, but there's gotta be more to that
TBF the guy Melty is talking about (Oka) wrestled Yuji Nagata and comes from a amateur wrestling background where he was considered one of the five best wrestlers under 30 in the country.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Perhaps the Japanese have a stricter and more focused training regime?

Yeah...according to Dean Ambrose its a HUGE problem...but...
there are some performers that make it work...such as the Miz
and Alexa Bliss.

WWE's matches are very thought-out. You've gotta work on making sure your finish gets pointed at the hard camera for the right shot, you've gotta remember how to slow down to take this picture-perfect moment, and do things that'll look cool in video package form. They clearly work a lot on that... There's some stuff like working underneath and knowing you can't do nearly as much as to save the crowd for the main event and make the main events feel bigger, they'll put the "handcuffs" on you to focus on a smaller array of moves that'll make them have a little more impact and resonate with the audience more while - hopefully - making the finish look BIG and marketable. In most matches they'll tell you to slow down and tell the basic shine-heat-comeback story which always works with newer or younger fans, then the main events of big move-kickout-big move-kickout feel as dramatic and heartstopping as we love. The WWE style feels overthought in this regard, but it's proven to work and produced many great matches (though if I watch one more fucking tag match...)

NJPW seems to have a much lighter leash on things, especially with guys like Nagata working a NEVER-style match (assuming Oka vs Nagata was) means there's a lot of just dudes beating the piss out of one another for your enjoyment. It feels like guys like the Killer Elite Squad, CJ Parker, and in reverse Gallows and Anderson clearly seem much more comfortable and confident in that environment and this feels like why

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Oka and Nagata worked a rookie vs veteran match. As in Oka got his shit in but got his ass kicked. Once he is done with his rookie period you better be ready for the new definition of overpushed tho.