Total Nonstop Action by Tig

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Tig

Reaction score
TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
by
TIG

IekJ-aETB0TZDICgnsB1-xWuvBqdGkD6yEZnihjXw76qL79RMSr1Wd6OpdTfhANmYujUuF2H6FwqI9Wyb-tg5icfPkSkTZLNLtlAkmIvZomcELjoUYNyh6Tb7Sclo8ZyzMaTMnvAWChMUWT42L4SQqc

Well, I guess I should begin with a brief introduction: I’m Tig, I came over with the e-fed from Wrestling Clique, and though that particular facet of creative writing holds my primary interest, I’ve always been interested in booking projects. Anyone who has ever followed my BTB career will be able to attest to the fact that despite years upon years of trying to get a project to stick successfully, I have never had that one project that I can hang my hat on and say, “I’m happy with that.”. I’m hoping this will be my first and only project here on Wrestling Smarks.

My wrestling fandom began at the onset of the Attitude Era and continued until roughly 2004. Following a five-year absence from wrestling, I randomly stumbled across RAW in late 2009 and nostalgic interest saw me follow along for a couple of months before ultimately deciding I wasn’t very into it and that I didn’t really want to invest any more time following it. That was until I came across TNA. For whatever reason, I was gripped by this cool promotion boasting old favourites and new stars (to me) complete with a six-sided ring. I am an unabashed TNA mark, so much so that my first username on Wrestling Clique was “Irish TNA Mark”. Though I followed the “Hogan years” with a rabid fascination, I have always wondered what could have become of my favourite promotion if a different route was taken. This is somewhat of a passion project as I attempt to rekindle the spark I once had for professional wrestling through this medium, as I have long since stopped consuming any wrestling product in recent years.

The key thing you need to know about this project is that it follows a timeline where Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff did not sign for TNA, instead creative control was granted to Paul Heyman. I am aware of Heyman’s proposed plans for TNA had he been given the book of the company at this time, and while there are some decisions made with that in mind, I ultimately book my own alternative history. The start date of this project is following Bound for Glory 2009 and the layout will be as follows; each cycle will contain: 1) a recap of what has has happened in the cycle so far, 2) results of the big event or PPV that takes place in the cycle and 3) a world-building, supplementary piece that was published during the cycle. The roster will be updated in a post after every cycle but the opening post contains the information as it was at the onset of the project and will not change.

Want to take this opportunity just to thank the numerous people from the FWA discord that I have ran ideas by for this project, and though he will never see this, Big Papa from WC, whose WCW projects are of huge inspiration to this. Finally, I’d like to thank any person who even takes the time to click on the link and glance at the opening post, hopefully I can provide some entertainment in this fantastic BTB section.

XemGjLJJWoVimDq49YEU7WGD7o1UX8EHxXWuDea-HX_GgBTRHu3xdmhVrErZoPUtazWsmS4jZw0q7GpmGSG-rjWJ_WZ8KYd4V1Yad7Ei7wKpCN8MkkcHHja9NVitt9eyYNmYBL5Cg1w1oTLq3vZ282A

On-Screen Personnel
Andrew Thomas - Match Official
Christy Hemme - Ring Announcer (iMPACT)
David Penzer - Ring Announcer (Xplosion)
D’Lo Brown - Road Agent
Dixie Carter - President
Don West - Color Commentator (Xplosion)
Earl Hebner - Senior Match Official
Jeremy Borash - Backstage Interviewer (iMPACT)
Kip James - Road Agent
Lauren Brooke - Backstage Interviewer (Xplosion)
Mark Johnson - Match Official
Mike Tenay - PxP Commentator (Xplosion & iMPACT)
Pat Kenney - Road Agent
Paul Heyman - Head of Creative/Official Matchmaker
Scott D’Amore - Road Agent
SoCal Val - Ring Attendant
Taz - Color Commentator

NazMvpBIyFsKhkFNbav-DoibYvwgEleCn8Ofm3heasffLrEX_wdaaChF4MrXY8Zia4H-MEYvLxOECZ-y1dEsXduyVJzZyvSRbIBHtkLtuI0VOos2Y7UADxjJLOnax2G2PK93o8CkD7j0qXhZ0gAWw7Y

Male Roster
Abyss
AJ Styles © World Heavyweight Champion
Alex Shelley
Amazing Red © X-Division Champion
Bobby Lashley
Booker T
Brother Devon
Brother Ray
Brutus Magnus © Tag Team Champion
Chris Sabin
Cody Deaner
Consequences Creed
D’Angelo Dinero
Daniels
Doug Williams © Tag Team Champion
Eric Young © Legends Champion
Hernandez
Homicide
James Storm
Jay Lethal
Jeff Jarrett
Jesse Neal
Jethro Holliday
Kevin Nash
Kiyoshi
Kurt Angle
Matt Morgan
Mick Foley
Rhino
Rob Terry
Robert Roode
Samoa Joe
Scott Steiner
Shark Boy
Sheik Abdul Bashir
Stevie Richards
Sting
Suicide

Knockout Roster
Alissa Flash
Awesome Kong
Daffney
Hamada
Lacey von Erich
Madison Rayne
ODB © Knockouts Champion
Sarita © Knockouts Tag Team Champion
Tara
Taylor Wilde © Knockouts Tag Team Champion
Traci Brooks
Velvet Sky

-8hmgJEJbIgq6AqzIryTIOorEKQOzLv9QgvPX9qG1kE8d-64fxJwwZuuu0oTUC67bAuc5_lVoyAjboUxXTRkqRdSv-oNvNPHfVmnwYQramT7egcwPXP3OOHwnYATWm_I0-RTipU6lZ8HF5BueP4bT1s

British Invasion - Brutus Magnus, Doug Williams & Rob Terry
Beer Money - James Storm & Robert Roode
Lethal Consequences - Consequences Creed & Jay Lethal
Motor City Machine Guns - Alex Shelley & Chirs Sabin
Team 3D - Brother Devon & Brother Ray
The Beautiful People - Lacey von Erich, Madison Rayne & Velvet Sky
Kevin Nash & Eric Young
Sarita & Taylor Wilde

ic0a8Kbct56VZW1ja1Lu667eW3XKvXIo-vq4pUK44VqY5dYZ98-AihIOepF_4MqJR1t7GkBDQgmoir_-3VkgEw_zKZicJqrNkpJFNkusJq9zJqcE062nYGi4ZVz9jM0usHUU6WyLZaiVs8rNOGuZNsg

TNA World Heavyweight Champion
AJ Styles | Won at No Surrender | September 20, 2009 - Present

TNA X-Division Champion
Amazing Red | Won at iMPACT | October 5, 2009 - Present

TNA Legends Champion
Eric Young | Won at Bound for Glory | October 18, 2009 - Present

TNA World Tag Team Champions
British Invasion | Won at No Surrender | October 18, 2009 - Present

TNA Knockouts Champion
ODB | Won at No Surrender | September 20, 2009 - Present

TNA Knockouts Tag Team Champions
Sarita & Taylor Wilde | Won at No Surrender | September 20, 2009 - Present

4TJlun04XzjEde72xZyIEaBOsC_WqIUhkAWRoaivfvykYcZ5p5dnv8nq_-wepw5V1UP6SGPATvw2gZoDjIRDfr-m-83zQENrNEVAHlLC8_dvViJykyGMwyDQaDbUcIbBz1SIqsgTO-geCdC_8svNd9k

CYCLE 1 (November/December ‘09)
New Year’s Eve: Impact | Recap
New Year’s Eve: Impact | Results
PWInsider: SpikeTV Championship Tournament
End of Cycle Update

CYCLE 2 (January ‘10)

8-Card Stud | Recap
YouTube: The Hardway Debut Show
8-Card Stud | Results
End of Cycle Update

Last edited:

Dubble J

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
Welcome back to the BTB world, Tig. Can't wait to see what you do with TNA!

Deco90

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
Interesting time period for TNA Wrestling this, with a good mix of talent on the roster.

Good luck, Tig! :)

Reactions: Tig

Stojy

Reaction score
Awesome to have you back, TIG. I've always enjoyed your previous stuff, so I'm here for your take on TNA. Good luck mate, and push Kevin Nash :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: Tig

Tig

Reaction score

iG9img__J10z_aYPH2qonQudi0JziVOunv-P-inxf_wbdrD8WLcklLU9JQ33CYSBvwKZmvvG4AT-9rcItMnOj4sJdjnyv4RpfIoq3z2wZdLBljVX5C6sAnawCudYvTnyRcBjX8adIRSLFjl36rG1dKI

Taking a month off television - directly following your biggest Pay-Per-View of the year - does not require much of an explanation in terms of why this is a bad business decision, yet that was exactly what Paul Heyman’s very first order of business was, having taken creative control of the company the night after Bound for Glory. Spike TV representatives were understandably annoyed by the decision but they were placated by the promise of an improved overall product, the rights to air Bound for Glory during the down month, a championship in their namesake, and bi-monthly specials that would ping a higher rating. That might seem a lot to unpack, but Heyman’s promises to the network were - in his mind at least - easily deliverable, and if it gave him the time needed to put together his team and get across his philosophy and ideas at large to the roster, it was a small price to pay.

If you asked the woman herself, Dixie Carter would likely say something to the effect of Paul Heyman jumping at the chance to take charge of TNA Wrestling, but the reality of it is that Heyman had a number of stipulations that he wanted met before signing on the line. Chiefly, that while he respected Dixie as the majority owner and main financial backer of the company, he wanted complete creative control over wrestling proceedings. This was included but not limited to: iMPACT’s touring schedule, their PPV schedule, signing and firings of on-air talent, and of course, the creative direction of the company. With the last minute fallthrough of the Hulk Hogan/Eric Bischoff deal, Dixie readily complied with the stipulations and granted Heyman permission to run wrestling operations as he saw fit. Heyman was quick to assemble his creative team of long-standing employee and backstage interviewer Jeremy Borash, old friend and commentator Taz, WCW legend Kevin Nash, and perhaps TNA’s biggest name in Sting. Borash and Taz maintained their current on-screen roles and Nash and Sting were to remain as active competitors on the TNA roster - for now - in addition to their new duties as part of the creative team.

Though uneager to blackout iMPACT for the month following Bound For Glory, it had quickly been decided that the new team needed a few weeks to revamp in their vision, and it was a small short-term hit in lieu of the greater good. In total, four weeks worth of television were “missed” before iMPACT returned live on Spike TV on November 18th; but that wasn’t to say there was
nothing being aired during this period. A Bound for Glory repeat took up two weeks worth of programming, a “Best of TNA on Spike TV” took up the third, and a special broadcast took up the fourth week. This special broadcast featured Heyman, Borash, and Taz being interviewed and chatting about the future direction of the company. They spoke at length about their aim being for the TNA roster to be a young, vibrant, multicultural mix of dynamic stars from across the globe and announced a working affiliation with numerous North American and European independent promotions as well as strengthening their working relationship with Mexico’s AAA and Japan’s NJPW. Heyman had promised a raft of new signings over the coming months to improve their roster but actually announced five new roster members during the broadcast as a direct result of their new and existing partnerships; the team of Bad Intentions (Karl Anderson and Giant Bernard) and junior heavyweight Prince Devitt from NJPW and Marco Corleone from AAA would now appear in both TNA and their home promotions while highly-rated UK export Nigel McGuinness would be signing a full-time contract with TNA. The latter three names would all compete in a 16-man tournament to crown the first ever Spike TV Television Champion while Bad Intentions were set to debut on New Year’s Eve: Impact - the first of TNA’s live three-hour television specials.

The concept of live, three-hour television specials was a brainstorm of Jeremy Borash, who had suggested to Paul Heyman that while delivering 12 PPVs a year was feasible, they were really struggling to make the majority of their PPV’s stand out and attract the attention and buy-rates that they wanted. He suggested running bi-monthly PPVs in addition to bi-monthly “TV Specials” as a way to be able to focus on heavily promoting their bigger PPVs whilst still having the “TV Specials” to be able to host big matches, championship matches and feud deciders in the - what can be rather long - eight week or so gap between PPVs. It had the added benefit of being likely to pop a rating for Spike TV and the potential to bleed into the next few weeks worth of iMPACTs as well. Heyman preferred the new model than running the same old monthly PPVs and believed that the longer time between them would allow him to build up bigger feuds, matches, and stars. It was Kevin Nash that pinpointed the December 31st edition of iMPACT as the ideal time to run their first special: New Year’s Eve: Impact.

A significant point of concern for the new TNA Creative Team was the contract status of an indisputable legend in Mick Foley. Though some of the older “stars” contracts had been retained, Heyman and co. were not afforded the same opportunity when it came to Mick Foley. Foley’s contract was set to expire on New Years Eve of the current year and it seemed that Foley had no intention of resigning with the company - in either an in-ring or backstage capacity. Heyman considered Foley to still have some draw power and massive potential upside in a creative/training role but Foley was content to become a free agent and not be tied down to a contract. Rather than just allow Foley to sit on the sideline and run down his contract, Heyman decided to put him to use in the little time that he was
guaranteed to have his services.

Such was Heyman’s transparency around the situation that on the first official iMPACT of his tenure, Foley would cut a promo surrounding his contract status and the potential of retiring from in-ring competition. On the same show a hungry, calculating, young hardcore competitor by the name of Jon Moxley made his debut. The ex-Combat Zone Wrestling star talked about his love of violence and how fighting is ingrained in him, he even name dropped Foley as his inspiration growing up and cheekily referenced the earlier Foley segment suggesting that if one dies, another is born. Before the end of the first show, Paul Heyman gave a state of address regarding him taking creative control. He informed viewers of the retirement of the TNA Legends Championship, the addition of the TNA SpikeTV Championship and the 16-man tournament to crown the inaugural champion, and ended with a personal plea to Mick Foley to discuss his future with him man to man the following week. The following week on iMPACT, Heyman asked Foley to consider giving the fans one final match so as to not end 2009 on a bum note. Foley promised nothing other than his consideration. In slightly related news, Jon Moxley was successful in his in-ring debut, overcoming Jesse Neal rather dominantly, putting him away with a double-underhook DDT. Prior to Foley and Heyman’s meeting, Foley ran into Moxley backstage where he complimented his DDT and gave him a trademark “bang bang”. Moxley followed this appearance up by felling Sheik Abdul Bashir in much the same manner, this time, he followed up the pinfall by doing his own “bang bang”. Foley was awaiting Moxley backstage, and Moxley asked him to stay on and wrestle long enough for him to climb the ranks to face him. Foley says it’s the prospect of facing guys like him that make him want to stay on but he needs to see what Heyman has planned for him and Moxley needs to focus on his own development. Foley says he knows Heyman’s not here tonight but he’ll give everyone the answer next week when he meets with Heyman in the ring.

Heyman’s TNA had seen some variety to their iMACT show openings - once had been an in-ring promo and twice a match proper opened up proceedings - but in the 4th edition of iMPACT, a new soon-to-be-regular opening was introduced: the cold opening. Jon Moxley cut a backstage promo about his hot start and wanting a step up in challenge on his way to Paul Heyman’s office, however, he found the office itself empty but gazed at what appeared to be a contract on the unoccupied desk of Paul Heyman. Heyman and Foley do a promo where Foley is propositioned for one last fight of 2009 before reconsidering his future in 2010. Heyman has a special opponent for Foley and it will main event the three-hour TV Special New Year’s Eve: Impact. After some convincing words from Heyman, Foley agrees to a big ovation. He made his way backstage with a roaming camera-man and Jeremy Borash following him, speculating as to who his opponent was going to be. Foley comes to a halt in the carpark as he sees Moxley laid out on the ground in a pool of blood to end iMPACT. We get an update that Moxley has suspected concussion as a result of the attack and after being in a comatose state for 48 hours, is showing signs of memory loss and is quite unresponsive. Paul Heyman cuts a promo wishing Moxley a speedy recovery but is interrupted by Foley who says he went to visit Moxley himself at the hospital. Foley shows some footage and in it, a bed-bound Moxley mutters something about “Abyss” before he fades out. Foley asks what’s going on and says he hasn’t seen Abyss since Bound For Glory and if he’s on the premises, Foley would know. Foley asks if Abyss is who he’s facing at New Year's Eve: Impact. Heyman swears that he would never book Foley in a singles match against Abyss … que Abyss appearing and chokeslamming Foley on the stage … but he would book him in a Monster’s Ball match against him! It’s official: Abyss vs Mick Foley in a Monster’s Ball in the main event of New Year's Eve: Impact.

In addition to the Foley/Abyss build, two other singles feuds were highlighted during November and December: cocky, arrogant newcomer Nigel McGuinness - signed from star US indy promotion RoH - ended up entangled with the hulking SuperMex, Hernandez, whilst a revitalised, freshly pushed Samoa Joe was on a collision course with ex-Main Event Mafia stablemate, Booker T. McGuinness was paraded around by Heyman and heralded as a major signing. Heyman announced that McGuinness would be making his iMPACT debut against “The Icon” Sting the following week. Hernandez conducted a backstage interview with Jeremy Borash where he pointed to his convincing victory over Jeff Jarrett the week prior, and insinuated that perhaps he should be receiving the opportunity that McGuinness is being granted. McGuinness hit back by stating in a pre-match promo that he is too big a deal to wank around in the tag team division for years (a shot at the majority of Hernandez's stint in TNA) and that his debut would live on in the memory of TNA fans for years to come. McGuinness shocked the world by cleanly beating Sting in the main event of iMPACT and then ensured their everlasting hate by locking in a submission on Sting after the match. Hernandez made the save and ran off McGuinness but McGuinness quickly returned the favour by clocking Herandez with brass knuckles during his bout with Matt Morgan the following week. McGuinness challenged Hernandez to a match on New Year’s Eve: Impact, which SuperMex was only too happy to accept. There was still time, however, for one last bit of conniving from McGuinness. After running into Hernandez backstage, McGuinness suggested that Herandez come meet him in the ring, as that’s where he conducts his business. Hernandez complied, and after McGuinness failed to come to the ring following SuperMex’s callout, Hernandez made his way backstage… where he was dutifully attacked by a waiting McGuinness.

There weren't as many twists and turns or physicality in getting to Joe/Booker at the same event, but it still ended up quite heated. Joe won 3 on the bounce via Coquina Clutch, and following his dismantling of Jeff Jarrett, Booker T gave a backstage interview calling Joe disrespectful and a bully. He challenges Joe to a match at New Year’s Eve: Impact but gets no further before Jeff Jarrett shows up following his loss, takes offence to the idea that he could be bullied or disrespected, and ends up facing off versus Booker T in a losing effort the following week. Joe hits the stage after the match to accept Booker’s challenge. The last show before New Year’s Eve: Impact featured a split screen interview between the two men; both showed tenacity and both hinted that a victory here would propel them towards a World Championship match.

The promise of strengthening international relations seemed to be genuine if the first few weeks of Heyman’s regime were anything to go by. Following a surprising defeat to Lethal Consequences, Team 3D were forced to watch as a still image of Bad Intentions signing TNA contracts alongside Paul Heyman was shown on the big screen to rapturous applause from the officials and fans in attendance. The following week, during Team 3D’s entrance, a Bad Intentions vignette was once again shown. Team 3D definitely had some added oomph to their presence when they took apart a local tag team and their post-match trash talk indicated that they weren’t happy about the impending arrival of Bad Intentions. For the third week in a row, a Bad Intentions hype package was being shown but it abruptly went to static before iMPACT cut backstage to see Team 3D tearing apart the production truck before being escorted out of the iMPACT Zone by security. They were fined and suspended from appearing in the iMPACT Zone the following week but that didn’t stop the most decorated tag team in wrestling phoning in via satellite, trashing Bad Intentions NJPW legacy, and challenging them to a match at New Year’s Eve: Impact. Footage courtesy of NJPW was aired on the iMPACT before NYI where Bad Intentions were taking part in a press conference following their “final match” in NJPW. They praised the company, put themselves over, and took shots at Team 3D before finally accepting their challenge for New Year’s Eve: Impact. Likewise, AAA export Marco Corleone was featured heavily as part of the SpikeTV Championship tournament, defeating Rob Terry, Prince Devitt (another NJPW export), and Kiyoshi (who’s run to the semi-final was probably the biggest shock of the beginning of the Heyman regime) to set up a final with TNA original, James Storm. The Cowboy saw off stiff competition on his own route to the final, besting Jesse Neal, tag partner Robert Roode, and Eric Young. The 16-man tournament received strong reviews from Pro Wrestling Insider* and was considered an early success story for Heyman’s TNA.

One of the perceived strengths of TNA had been their women’s division and the booking of it. The new creative team were confident that the previous output from the Knockouts division
had been above what other companies offered but still felt they could strengthen it and push it in a more serious and radical manner than anyone else in the North American wrestling-sphere. Jeremy Borash and Kevin Nash were tasked with scouting potential talent to add to the ranks (with a focus on potential tag teams) and though insider reports indicated they had ear-marked a few female talents, nothing had been set in stone ala the plentiful additions to the men’s division. That didn’t detract Heyman from building to a big show-piece match for the Knockouts division. With the expected additional eyes on the three-hour New Year’s Eve: Impact TV Special, Heyman wanted to send a message to the wrestling world that the best female talent was in TNA and that they wouldn’t shy away from showcasing their women in the same way that they showcase their men. TNA Knockouts Champion ODB was perceived as a strong character in the division and Hamada was considered amongst the most technically gifted, so it was no surprise that early into Heyman’s tenure, this was the match booked for New Year’s Eve: Impact. ODB defeated Knockouts Tag Team Champion Sarita on iMPACT and the following week Hamada defeated Sarita’s partner Taylor Wilde. Both matches received around ten minutes and both champion and challengers performances were praised. Xplosion - the one hour supplemental show to iMPACT - had mostly featured SpikeTV Championship tournament matches, Amazing Red X-Division Championship defences, and the occasional men’s tag team match (to put over Homicide’s new tag team with indy recruit Eddie Kingston) since Heyman took over but a mid-cycle main event seen the TNA Knockouts Tag Team Champions Sarita and Taylor Wilde overcome Hamada and ODB, a result which caused the champion and challenger to erupt into a full-on brawl around the arena, culminating with ODB delivering an unprotected chair shot to the head of Hamada, drawing blood. Despite the heavy chair shot being criticised online, the segment drew eyes to the feud and upcoming match and - perhaps more importantly for the future - to the Xplosion show. Heyman capitalised on the wrestling dirt-sheet frenzy surrounding the incident to announce that the TNA Knockouts Championship match between Hamada and ODB at NYI would be contested in six sides of steel. The incident also served to firmly place the previously aligned tweener characters of ODB and Hamada as heel and face respectively.

With so much going on, it would be easy to forgive someone for thinking the above was the extent of the main storylines in the opening few weeks of Heyman’s TNA, but then you remember: perhaps the two most important sets of championships in the company have yet to be mentioned. That’s because the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, the TNA World Tag Team Championships, and their challengers, found themselves intertwined on iMPACT. Heyman announced just
one match for his inaugural episode in charge of creative: the TNA World Heavyweight Champion in a non-title match against Bobby Lashley. The talent exchange as part of their international relations wasn’t all one way for TNA, immediately following this show, Bobby Lashley was sent to Japan on a three-month tour. With this in mind, it was no surprise that the reigning champion was booked to win after a back-and-forth match. Kurt Angle would make his presence felt at the close of the show by taking out AJ Styles with a post-match Olympic Slam and making his intentions of becoming the TNA World Heavyweight Champion known. Angle wasn’t the only roster member set on making their championship intentions clear as Lethal Consequences propositioned The British Invasion for a shot at their belts. The Tag Team Champions accept, but only on the condition that Lethal Injection can best The British Invasion in singles competition the following week. Lethal Injection did just that - with Williams and Magnus somehow managing to pin the blame on their enforcer Rob Terry - on the same show that AJ Styles and Kurt Angle agreed to a World Heavyweight Championship match. The show before the title match, AJ and Kurt had tune-up matches against Lethal Injection. The champion and the challenger both won their matches against the number one contenders to the Tag Team Championships, but not before Rob Terry - making amends for the previous week - got involved along the way. The championship match between Kurt Angle and AJ Styles was seen to be the first super big match of the Heyman tenure but the iMPACT main event barely eclipsed the ten-minute mark before getting thrown out as a brawl between The British Invasion and Lethal Consequences spilled out to the ring area. A furious AJ Styles and Kurt Angle shook their heads as iMPACT came to a close. Lethal Consequences were set to challenge The British Invasion for the Tag Team Championships on the final iMPACT before the three-hour special on New Year’s Eve, but AJ Styles and Kurt Angle extracted a measure of revenge by attacking both teams as soon as the opening bell rang. The onslaught broke into a riot which required multiple TNA security personnel to stop and with the madness somewhat subdued, Heyman announced that Lethal Injection would team with AJ Styles to face Kurt Angle and The British Invasion at New Year’s Eve: Impact.

The tone and - more importantly - the card for TNA’s first big show since Heyman’s takeover was set, and while many were pleased with the build and card itself, as well as the influx in new talent, not everybody was thrilled with Heyman’s appointment. Jethro Holliday, Cody Deaner, and Shark Boy were all granted their release with an appendix on their release statements indicating that there would be an overhaul and turnover of the roster over the coming few months.

*The PWI report covering the TNA SpikeTV Championship Tournament will be available to read prior to the next monthly update

+ Jon Moxley, Marco Corleone, Giant Bernard, Karl Anderson, Prince Devitt, Eddie Kingston, Nigel McGuinness

- Jethro Holliday, Cody Deaner, Shark Boy

======================================================

New Year’s Eve: Impact
December 31st, 2009

live from The iMPACT Zone
Orlando, Florida
MATCH ONE//
20 minute time limit
six-man tag match
AJ Styles & Lethal Consequences vs Kurt Angle & The British Invasion
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MATCH TWO//
20 minute time limit
singles match
Booker T vs Samoa Joe
MATCH THREE//
20 minute time limit
tag team match
Team 3D vs Bad Intentions
MATCH FOUR//
20 minute time limit
singles match
Hernandez vs Nigel McGuinness
MATCH FIVE//
30 minute time limit
six sides of steel match for the TNA Knockouts Championship
ODB © vs Hamada
MATCH SIX//
30 minute time limit
singles match for the TNA SpikeTV Championship
James Storm vs Marco Corleone
MAIN EVENT//
no time limit
monsters ball
Abyss vs Mick Foley

Editors note: this is the first update of the project. Hope you enjoyed. Next up will be the PPV results, and then an article on the SpikeTV Championship tournament will round out the first cycle! Thanks for all the support and well wishes thus far! Tig.

Last edited:

Mandalorian

E-Fed Staff Member
Reaction score
Good luck with this mate - if anyone can do this project justice it’s got to be the Irish TNA Mark, right?

Looking Glass

Reaction score

I love the eye-trick aesthetic, it feels quite NWA Power (which I meant as a compliment) and furthermore, I love this timeline (I'd say it's just a bit late of my personal favourite era, where TNA felt like a true, diverse alternative). Utilising Heyman as a new leader, always sparks hope and while is a risky business decision, I think that having the break gives an 'end of season' vibe to Bound For Glory.

I like that you've not gone down the rose-tinted revamp route either, with Spike TV understandably irritated by the effect Heyman's decision has had on the scheduling. I also enjoyed the attention to detail in explaining what TNA was doing to provide content in the meantime as they would have been contracted to provide content to some degree. Some impressive signings also, Devitt feels like a big get and I'm intrigued to see how you handle Giant Bernard, who while tainted in the modern day by the Lord Tensai gimmick, was really creating a name for himself in Japan (similarly for Jindrak/Corleone). Additionally, signing McGuiness is a great move and I'd be interested to see how you handle him compared to real-life - beating Sting is already a big way to introduce him.

Given that we have the TNT/TBS titles in AEW, the Spike TV Championship doesn't seem as jarring as it may have done otherwise. The Legends title always felt like it should've been an unofficial gimmick belt akin to the Million Dollar Championship rather than a legitimate secondary belt. The Spike TV Championship feels like a better option.

During this time, TNA had a pretty regular PPV schedule, so I look forward to seeing how the specials impact the overall product (no pun intended). I think it also stays true to the company having this revival take place around New Year's as TNA did always seem to make more of an effort to make a big deal of the holiday in comparison to other companies.

Interesting note on Foley, but I'm not devastated. You've retained Nash, Sting, etc. I think the Hogan/Bischoff era really swayed the company from having a diverse roster in favour of old-school, 'bankable' names). I'll reserve judgement on Moxley, I hope you go down the WWE route of legitimising his name rather than him just doing blood spots for ratings. Interesting to have this Foley/Moxley angle to mirror what could have been IRL. Although I must say that using Moxley to build towards an Abyss/Foley match seems a little bit of a misfire for me when we've seen this match done.

Part of me would have liked to have seen the project pick up from the first episode of the Heyman regime, just because there's a lot to digest here. Announcing the Spike TV Championship tournament and then going through the results within the same post makes me feel like I've lost out on some moments of character development - the shock factor of Kiyoshi doing so well, getting to know the character of Corleone before his match in the final leg of the tournament.

The women's division was a gift in TNA and should have been protected at all costs - I think this is just a bit late of the golden era of the Knockouts, but nice to see you push Hamada and also recognise that ODB was a big personality in the division. I'm not massively keen on stealing from Peter to give to Paul in the sense of pushing Hamada and ODB by defeating Wilde and Sarita (the tag division was also sparse, so making the champions look weak doesn't help the cause). However, I appreciate the detail that the matches are getting more time and recognition.

Lethal Consequences getting a push feels fresh, they never really felt like they had gotten the time or investment in the division. Whereas, I was a big fan of the British Invasion (Rob Terry, not so much). I'm curious as to why the brawl in the Lethal Consequences/British Invasion match resulted in AJ Styles teaming with LC but Angle teaming with Beer Money rather than the World Tag Team Champions (although from looking at the actual New Year's Eve: Impact, I think that was a typo!)

Overall, I enjoyed the prelude and can't wait to see things kick off. As mentioned, I love the timeline and background of the project, it makes sense to wipe away the memory of Bischoff and Hogan's reign and grow the product and I really enjoy some of the changes you've got lined up. I don't know whether the format will always be a monthly breakdown of important events or if you're writing full shows but I would just say to be mindful of how new talent is introduced if you're doing monthly recaps. Otherwise, a great start, I can't wait to read more.

One minor call out for me, which is more my OCD than anything. I get that you have a red and black colour scheme, but when you change the colour of the font from automatic to black, it makes it hard to read if you use the dark mode theme (as I do). It's not an immovable blocker as I can just change to light mode to read it or paste the content into a new text box but I thought I'd just flag it, in case you were unaware.

Tig

Reaction score
I love the eye-trick aesthetic, it feels quite NWA Power (which I meant as a compliment) and furthermore, I love this timeline (I'd say it's just a bit late of my personal favourite era, where TNA felt like a true, diverse alternative). Utilising Heyman as a new leader, always sparks hope and while is a risky business decision, I think that having the break gives an 'end of season' vibe to Bound For Glory.

I like that you've not gone down the rose-tinted revamp route either, with Spike TV understandably irritated by the effect Heyman's decision has had on the scheduling. I also enjoyed the attention to detail in explaining what TNA was doing to provide content in the meantime as they would have been contracted to provide content to some degree. Some impressive signings also, Devitt feels like a big get and I'm intrigued to see how you handle Giant Bernard, who while tainted in the modern day by the Lord Tensai gimmick, was really creating a name for himself in Japan (similarly for Jindrak/Corleone). Additionally, signing McGuiness is a great move and I'd be interested to see how you handle him compared to real-life - beating Sting is already a big way to introduce him.

Given that we have the TNT/TBS titles in AEW, the Spike TV Championship doesn't seem as jarring as it may have done otherwise. The Legends title always felt like it should've been an unofficial gimmick belt akin to the Million Dollar Championship rather than a legitimate secondary belt. The Spike TV Championship feels like a better option.

During this time, TNA had a pretty regular PPV schedule, so I look forward to seeing how the specials impact the overall product (no pun intended). I think it also stays true to the company having this revival take place around New Year's as TNA did always seem to make more of an effort to make a big deal of the holiday in comparison to other companies.

Interesting note on Foley, but I'm not devastated. You've retained Nash, Sting, etc. I think the Hogan/Bischoff era really swayed the company from having a diverse roster in favour of old-school, 'bankable' names). I'll reserve judgement on Moxley, I hope you go down the WWE route of legitimising his name rather than him just doing blood spots for ratings. Interesting to have this Foley/Moxley angle to mirror what could have been IRL. Although I must say that using Moxley to build towards an Abyss/Foley match seems a little bit of a misfire for me when we've seen this match done.

Part of me would have liked to have seen the project pick up from the first episode of the Heyman regime, just because there's a lot to digest here. Announcing the Spike TV Championship tournament and then going through the results within the same post makes me feel like I've lost out on some moments of character development - the shock factor of Kiyoshi doing so well, getting to know the character of Corleone before his match in the final leg of the tournament.

The women's division was a gift in TNA and should have been protected at all costs - I think this is just a bit late of the golden era of the Knockouts, but nice to see you push Hamada and also recognise that ODB was a big personality in the division. I'm not massively keen on stealing from Peter to give to Paul in the sense of pushing Hamada and ODB by defeating Wilde and Sarita (the tag division was also sparse, so making the champions look weak doesn't help the cause). However, I appreciate the detail that the matches are getting more time and recognition.

Lethal Consequences getting a push feels fresh, they never really felt like they had gotten the time or investment in the division. Whereas, I was a big fan of the British Invasion (Rob Terry, not so much). I'm curious as to why the brawl in the Lethal Consequences/British Invasion match resulted in AJ Styles teaming with LC but Angle teaming with Beer Money rather than the World Tag Team Champions (although from looking at the actual New Year's Eve: Impact, I think that was a typo!)

Overall, I enjoyed the prelude and can't wait to see things kick off. As mentioned, I love the timeline and background of the project, it makes sense to wipe away the memory of Bischoff and Hogan's reign and grow the product and I really enjoy some of the changes you've got lined up. I don't know whether the format will always be a monthly breakdown of important events or if you're writing full shows but I would just say to be mindful of how new talent is introduced if you're doing monthly recaps. Otherwise, a great start, I can't wait to read more.

One minor call out for me, which is more my OCD than anything. I get that you have a red and black colour scheme, but when you change the colour of the font from automatic to black, it makes it hard to read if you use the dark mode theme (as I do). It's not an immovable blocker as I can just change to light mode to read it or paste the content into a new text box but I thought I'd just flag it, in case you were unaware.

wow! Thanks a million for the in depth review was not expecting something like this. I guess I’ll start off by addressing something you said - this won’t be rose-tinted, rainbows and butterflies, everything is great, kind of booking. There’ll be some misfires for sure and I’ll note when angles matches aren’t “great” or well received too. For example, shoehorning Moxley into the Abyss/Foley build probably isn’t the best way to debut a new star, but hopefully that storyline pans out satisfactorily.

Good point on KO Tag Champs looking weak and there’s a story (in ring and out of ring) that I plan to tell over the next few months as I boost that division (admittedly a hard task for me).

oops. Typo lol. Thanks for pointing that out.

hoping this doesn’t turn you off but every monthly update will feature a recap in this form! I’m not one for match writing really and won’t be posting weekly shows but there is a planned update featuring a review of the SpikeTV Championship tournament which will hopefully give you some colour about Corleone and Kiyoshi!

Thanks so much for commenting!

Last edited:

Tig

Reaction score
nwXmNeUlvlJTp8GdOK8FbKQcsfxJA1nHKZfpOW6N9MsRfKXj7lrOoOJmHVx8p6Q6byLdgMTzICPOuLIeZjC5AY5v8_sS3e_aiv3WlIB4PezmEhq2cTDP37fcYxDhJRqFLsrjYxtXthav7M4RKiwV2dI
TNA New Year’s Eve Impact Results: Winners, Grades, Reaction and Highlights from December 31
=======================
Jean-Luc Glasser
JANUARY 01, 2010

Last night saw Total Nonstop Action’s first three-hour live television special under the Heyman regime take place in The iMPACT Zone and featured two championship matches, a Monster’s Ball match, and a host of other high-profile matches from the number two promotion in North America.

In addition to a MAJOR coup for Heyman for his male roster, the special saw not one, not two, but THREE new acts make their on-screen debut for the company at the special. Throw in a big show-closing angle - as well as some pretty big spots throughout the night - and it equalled a very exciting (though by no means perfect) start to the announced three-hour live specials that will feature under Heyman’s guidance.

The pre-announced matches for the show:

• AJ Styles & Lethal Consequences vs. Kurt Angle & The British Invasion
  • Booker T vs. Samoa Joe
  • Team 3D vs. Bad Intentions
  • Hernandez vs. Nigel McGuinness
  • Knockouts Championship: Hamada vs. ODB © in Six Sides of Steel
  • SpikeTV Championship: Marco Corleone vs. James Storm
  • Abyss vs. Mick Foley in Monster’s Ball
=======================
AJ Styles & Lethal Consequences vs. Kurt Angle & The British Invasion
There is an age-old adage in professional wrestling that you should start off your big events with a hot opener and this was certainly that. All six men stepped up to the plate and the fans were in a pumped-up mood by the time Jay Lethal pinned Brutus Magnus to bring a close to this high-octane, six-man tag.

The finish came after a flurry of dives to the outside indisposed Doug Williams and Kurt Angle, leaving a hapless Magnus exposed to a MontiFisto, Styles Clash, and finally a top-rope elbow drop from Lethal.

The fans were into the match and the finish, the result and method of victory very much pointing towards another Lethal Consequences Tag Team Championship match. Creed and Magnus worked hard to keep up with the rest of the workers, but Styles and Angle did carry a large portion of the match. Notably, Rob Terry was absent from ringside.

Result
AJ Styles & Lethal Consequences

Grade
A

Highlights
- AJ and Kurt got a long stretch against each other at the start, it nearly seemed like a singles match with amount of time they got.
- Styles nailed a flawless springboard inverted DDT and Kurt leapt onto the turnbuckle to throw AJ off the top with an overhead belly to belly.
- After each others finishers were avoided, they tagged out and a quick-paced tag match developed.
- Williams nailed Lethal with a NASTY Chaos Theory on the outside which popped the fans hard.
=======================
Paul Heyman Announces 8-Card Stud Tournament And Championship Match
Paul Heyman gave an address from behind his desk in his office. He announced that the next live three-hour TV Special would host the 8-Card Stud Tournament: a tournament to determine who would be the number one contender for the World Heavyweight Championship at the Against All Odds PPV - the first such event under Heyman. Additionally, he announced that Lethal Consequences would get a shot at The British Invasion’s Tag Team Championship, while AJ Styles would defend against Kurt Angle at the same event. The implication was that this was due to the opening match and how it panned out. Details were vague about the nature of the 8-Card Stud Tournament.

Grade
B
=======================
Booker T vs. Samoa Joe
This match received a fair bit of focus in the build-up but it fell rather flat aside from the hot finish. Neither men looked at their best, and it didn’t seem like a great mesh of styles but still proved a serviceable affair.

The flash finish of Joe choking out Booker T as he taunted following a spinaroonie makes for a cool clip but was really the only time the crowd came unglued - aside from Joe’s entrance. Still, the image of Joe wrapping his arms around Booker’s neck while senior official Earl Hebner frantically called for the bell really put over Joe’s Coquina Clutch and his general dangerous aura.

Neither man phoned it in but Booker in particular seemed gassed relatively early and that certainly didn’t help the clunky flow of the match. There were a few redeeming moments usually following the formula of Booker talking trash and then getting the taste slapped out of his mouth by Joe. Expect Joe to move on from this feud.

Result
Samoa Joe

Grade
C

Highlights
- The crowd was loud during Samoa Joe’s entrance with “Joe’s Gonna Kill You” chants dominating.
- Booker T looked fairly sloppy but his trash talking was on point, he constantly dissed Joe when on the attack and even channeled his inner-Scott Steiner by calling Joe “fat” multiple times.
- There was a cool sequence where Booker T nearly sent Joe out of the ring with a missile dropkick but when he went to repeat the feat a minute later, Joe coolly walked away in trademark style as Booker crashed and burned.
- The finish was rather abrupt in this match, Booker planted Joe with a crescent kick, and did a spinaroonie, but as he was posing following this, Joe viciously choked him out from behind.
=======================
Knockouts Tag Team Champions Meet Aussie Rules
The Knockouts Tag Team Champions - Sarita and Taylor Wilde - approached Heyman in his office about being left of the card, and the lack of potential challengers on the horizon for the future. Heyman rebutted that there was only a limited number of matches he could make for the live specials and pay-per-view events and that they would go to those who earned them. He mentioned the Hamada/ODB tandem defeating them and plugged the Six Sides of Steel championship match set for later that night. Sarita went off on a fiery rant but was interrupted by a debuting Tenille Dashwood and Jessie McKay. Dashwood trash-talked the duo, lamenting them for losing in tag action, claiming her and McKay had never lost a tag team match in Australia. McKay seemed overly flirty with Heyman, speaking about strengthening international relations. Sarita seemed to want to go there and then but Wilde calmed her down and the champs took their leave.

Grade
B
=======================
Bad Intentions vs. Team 3D
Admittedly, there could have been a lot more made of the most decorated tag team in wrestling history taking on the team that had dominated the tag division in NJPW but TNA seemed to be happy running a “Team 3D are pissed off by another teams fanfare” angle.

For anyone following the feud, it was clear that Bad Intentions would emerge victorious in this one as there seemed to be a lot of suggestions that they’d be pushed heavily on arrival. This proved to be true as they picked up a victory here, and it may have raised a few eyebrows as they did so quite handily.

That doesn’t paint the full picture here and TNA’s rosd agents must be given the benefit of the doubt as surely the match didn’t go as planned given what seemed to be a rather legitimate looking injury to Ray during the match. It may not have been the plan, but due to the nature of the match, it would seem wise to run this back again in a more evenly-matched contest.

Result
Bad Intentions

Grade
C+

Highlights
- The crowd were pretty into Bad Intentions, who fought as faces during the match.
- Team 3D hit their Wazzup but outside of that, the new tag team from Japan dominated - and for good reason.
- Karl Anderson hit a massive running single leg drop kick to knock Ray off the apron - Tenay dubbed it as the “Rocket Kick”. Ray landed on the guardrail and seemed to be indisposed for the rest of the match.
- The medical staff checked on Ray after the match, who seemed to be favouring his ribs. However, a quick chat with Devon resulted in Devon jumping on the mic to request a rematch with Bad Intentions.
=======================
New Knockout Emerges - Queen Of The Deathmatch
“Footage courtesy of IWA: MS” disclaimers located at the bottom of footage being shown of a blonde woman in a pink jumpsuit competing in hardcore matches hints at another working relationship for TNA, but more importantly, preceded the on-screen debut of Rachel Summerlyn. She came across as excitable, whimsical, and somewhat aloof in nature as she spoke about rainbows and her pet bunny, Sparx, over clips of her putting opponents through tables, falling off ladders, and landing in thumbtacks. She smiled at the camera and innocently said that the Knockouts should get ready for the “Queen of the Deathmatch”.

Grade
B
=======================
Hernandez vs. Nigel McGuinness
After his impressive debut victory against Sting, and a meaty feud with Hernandez, a lot of eyes were on rising star Nigel McGuinness on New Year’s Eve - and he certainly delivered. That’s not to say that SuperMex didn’t play his part; the staunch star delivered in spades in what was a great match.

In what was seeming like a real coming out party for both men, it was a little bit disappointing to not get a clean finish - though TNA fans certainly won’t be disappointed that there is more juice to run in this rivalry. While a disqualification victory is never a desired outcome, it was definitely done in a clever way. McGuinness was repeatedly warned for focusing on the left eye of Hernandez and it eventually cost him as a blatant eye-poke on the outside drew the disqualification from official “Slick” Mark Johnson.

The fans frustrations were audibly heard but they didn’t last long as SuperMex exploded, brawling with McGuinness up the ramp and Border Tossing him off the stage to a large pop. While it may have been preferable to see someone go over here - probably McGuinness given the hype around his opening weeks as a TNA performer - both men looked strong and left the fans wanting more. Must be considered a hit.

Result
Hernandez

Grade
B+

Highlights
- McGuinness flipped Hernandez the bird as soon as the opening bell rang, but was immediately taken off guard by a huge shoulder tackle which sent him stiffly into a turnbuckle.
- McGuinness countered an attempted powerbomb by jabbing his thumb into the eye of Hernandez.
- McGuinness used a rarely seen tactic; he focused on the eye of his opponent. He face-raked, directed all his strikes at that side of the face, and even ground Hernandez face against the ring rope.
- Hernandez hit a huge crossbody over the top rope to the outside which popped the crowd. Hernandez finally began to get on top which resulted in McGuinness once again resorting to the eye-poke and drawing a disqualification.
=======================
Knockouts Championship: ODB © vs. Hamada In Six Sides Of Steel
If people were wondering how hard Heyman would let the Knockouts go in this environment, the answer was a reasoning very. An ODB championship defense that will probably be remembered fondly for quite some time by existing fans and may have even turned some eyes toward the product.

Hamada seemed the obvious choice to care the workload of this particular match but the nature of it allowed ODB to shine throughout; as well as some big spots she was on point with her character work in her new alignment as a ruthless heel. There was no need to twice hit Hamada with her BAM finisher following Roxxi’s brass knuckle shot, yet she did so gleefully before pinning Hamada for the victory.

The fans seemed a little surprised at the return of Roxxi Laveaux. She had only been since in a one-off appearance since April 2009, and it had been published in various media that she was no longer a TNA talent. Following a top-rope superplex from Hamada that seen both Knockouts unmoving on the canvas, Roxxi sprinted down to the ring, scaled the structure and immediately clocked Hamada with the knucks. She roused ODB for the finish and stuck around to celebrate with her after. A great showcase for the Knockouts, though not so much for the integrity of the steel cage.

Result
ODB

Grade
B

Highlights
- Hamada backed ODB into the corner and machine-gun kicked her 20 times in a row to a large ovation and chant.
- Hamada was caught by a flapjack into the steel cage by ODB, resulting in a crimson mask for the challenger.
- There was an arguable misstep from Hamada; she scaled to the top of the scale and performed a moonsault from the top rather than escape and win the match. ODB got the knees up to ensure a painful landing.
- ODB smacked Hamada silly with a steel flask she had concealed in her bra but Hamada instantly responded with an enzurigi.
=======================
Major Star Announced Via Vignette
The first truly major US-based name to sign for TNA in the Heyam either was none other than Rob Van Dam. A vignette aired showing an unidentifiable man sitting in a cross-legged position at the base of a mountain before he is followed in a flash-forwarding scene climbing the mountain. The camera was always behind the man as he traversed the mountain path. It cut to the top of the mountain and you could see the silhouette of a man stretching and throwing a variety of kicks. The camera zoomed in as the man performed a jumping spinning kick in slow-motion, and when he landed, it was finally clear it was Rob Van Dam. The tagline was that he was debuting at the next edition of iMPACT. Loud R-V-D chants echoed around the arena after the vignette ended.

Grade
A+
=======================
SpikeTV Championship: Marco Corleone vs. James Storm
The SpikeTV Championship tournament was lauded as an overall success and the final match was one that lived up to the standard. Newcomer Corleone’s victory over James Storm in the final got ample time and the two put on quite a good match which had those in attendance heavily invested.

Corleone has been presented as a beast in his first few months with the company and while Storm is predominantly a tag team wrestler, TNA seemed set on making a point that he is just as dangerous in singles competition. The finishing sequence was great; Corleone ate a Last Call but managed to somehow stay upright and responded with a huge Knockout punch that sent the crowd crazy as it was clear Storm was out before he even hit the canvas and got covered.

A big deal was made of Storm explicitly instructing Roode to not get involved during the match. The championship was presented as a big deal with Kazuo Yamasaki, Konnan, and Kevin Nash at ringside to present the belt to the eventual winner. Both men looked extremely strong in this bout.

Result
Marco Corleone

Grade
B+

Highlights
- Marco Corleone performed three suplexes in a row without breaking the hold, on the third suplex he held Storm aloft for the count of 10.
- The crowd were firmly behind TNA original James Storm throughout with loud “Let’s Go Cowboy” chants led by his partner Robert Roode prevalent throughout.
- Despite Storm hitting some big moves, and Corleone showing off his athleticism, the crowd seemed most invested - with excitable commentary to boot - when the two got into a blow-for-blow punching match in the middle of the ring.
- James Storm hit the Last Call superkick but it only served to rock Corleone, not fell him. He certainly wobbled, but ultimately was able to keep himself upright with the assistance of the top rope. This was sold as a big moment by Taz.
=======================
El Intocable & Konnan With Jeremy Borash
Following his victory, the newly minted TNA SpikeTV Championship - a 15-poubd silver plated championship on a white strap adorned with jewels - was awarded to Marco Corleone by NJPW representative Kazuo Yamasaki, AAA representative Konnan, and TNA representative Kevin Nash. Jeremy Borash hit the ring to try and get an interview with the inaugural champion but Corleone refused to speak. Instead, Konnan took control of the interview by aggressively answering Jeremy’s questions; he declared that Corleone was the untouchable - El Intocable - and after waiting for years to get the call to return to US soil, he was taking out his pent-up aggression on anyone that crossed his path, as evidenced by his performances during the tournament. He said the SpikeTV Championship guaranteed his client would be on our television screen each and every week, and that Corleone was going to show the whole country what they’d been missing.

Grade
B+
=======================
Abyss vs. Mick Foley in Monster’s Ball
Clips were shown of Foley and Abyss in solitary confinement, without any food or light, for the 24 hours prior to this bout starting. A crazed looking Foley stumbling out on the ramp to a very large ovation seemed somewhat fitting in his final match.

Foley got brutalized for the majority of the match, and if it were a boxing match, the scorecard would be very lopsided in favour of The Monster. However, the biggest and most extreme spot was reserved for Foley - and he also took some nasty bumps before a Black Hole Slam on thumbtacks finally put him away.

Abyss was understandably given the lead in this match, and it’s clear to see Foley has really slowed in the ring. It seems an appropriate time to ring the bell on his in-ring career; though his performance here was pretty magnificent for a man in his condition. Creativity in the right spots, and a sheer willingness to put his body on the line combined to hit all the right notes in The Hardcore Legend’s swan song.

Result
Abyss

Grade
B-

Highlights
- Abyss chokeslammed Mick Foley on the ramp during his entrance.
- A bleeding Foley took five headshots with a kendo stick and was planted with a steel chair but kicked out at one to a rapturous ovation.
- Foley performed a double-handed bulldog on thumbtacks. Tacks pierced his shins and the exposed face of Abyss.
- Abyss rolled out of the way just in time to avoid a Mick Foley elbow drop from the top turnbuckle to the outside - Foley ended up putting himself through the commentary table.
- Foley broke a fluorescent light tube over the head of Abyss and later wrapped his hands in tape and glue before letting the broken shards stick to it. He then inflicted dozens of lacerations on Abyss by repeatedly pummelling him.
=======================
Mick Foley’s Final Address
Both men required medical attention following the match and neither seemed overly responsive. Loud “Foley” chants echoed around the arena and eventually the ovation roused the hardcore legend in what was his final outing as a TNA competitor. Barely able to stand on his own two feet, Foley delivered a passionate and intense promo about his career. He then put over TNA and stated that he could guarantee that Total Nonstop Action was going to the right place with Heyman at the helm. He said it was time to put an end to the rumours; it wasn’t his last match in TNA… it was his last match in professional wrestling, period. With the fans begging him to stay on, Foley looked tormented but decidedly sure on his decision. He said it was time for the future and… that’s as far as he got. A man in a ski mask jumped the guardrail and began pummeling an already exhausted and beaten Foley. The man set up a table and doused it in gasoline before setting fire to it, and putting Foley through the burning table. As security and (more) paramedics swarmed the ring amidst a cacophony of booing, the man pulled off the mask to reveal a frenzied Jon Moxley. This was the closing image of the first three-hour live TV special.

Grade
A+

Quick Results
AJ Styles & Lethal Consequences def Kurt Angle & The British Invasion
Samoa Joe def Booker T
Bad Intentions def Team 3D
Hernandez def Nigel McGuinness
ODB © def Hamada in Six Sides of Steel for Knockouts Championship
Marco Corleone def James Storm for SpikeTV Championship
Abyss def Mick Foley in Monster’s Ball

+ Rachel Summerlyn, Roxxi Laveuax, Jessie McKay, Tenille Dashwood and Rob Van Dam

Editors note: this is the type of way I hope to present the PPV/Live Special results each month, but may switch between different methods of publishing big event results. Hoping it's an easy, informative read. There won't be a heap of signings and debuts on every update - they become more sparse and infrequent as we progress through the cycles. Up next: The TNA SpikeTV Tournament review! Much love, Tig.

Last edited:

Tig

Reaction score
1684946891288.png

The TNA SpikeTV Championship Tournament
international talent lights up the 16-man tournament to crown the inaugural champion

The creation of the TNA SpikeTV Championship to replace the TNA Legends Championship raised a couple of eyebrows in the field of professional wrestling. The Legends Championship certainly wasn’t held in the highest of regard with its place in the company being predominately a question mark. Most people were unsure of what it stood for and what the point of its existence was. The SpikeTV Championship was firmly set apart as having its own unique place among the existing championships with a facet being that the championship had to be defended at least once a week on TNA programming AND that, unlike most championship belts, could change by way of disqualification or count-out. Perhaps the most interesting wrinkle to the championship was the star-chip system being implemented; after every successful defense of the championship, the holder would be given a small ruby star to be inserted around the silver-face plate of the belt. Upon collection of ten of these stars, the holder would be entitled to a match for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship on SpikeTV (specified as meaning iMPACT or Xplosion as opposed to PPV) programming.

The aim of the championship is to give viewers a championship match at least once a week without heavily detracting from the feuds surrounding the traditional belts which are still slated to be primarily defended on TV Specials and PPVs. A secondary reason was to try and draw more eyes to the supplemental Xplosion show. Paul Heyman announced the first-round bracket at the end of the first episode of iMPACT under his tenure with the scheduled date for each match also announced.

FIRST ROUND SCHEDULE
Jeff Jarrett Vs Robert Roode (Xplosion, Nov 21st)
Amazing Red Vs Rhino (Xplosion, Nov 21st))
Matt Morgan Vs Sheik Abdul Bashir (iMPACT, Nov 26th)
Marco Corleone Vs Rob Terry (Xplosion, Nov 28th)
Eric Young Vs Jethro Holliday (iMPACT, Dec 3rd)
Homicide Vs Prince Devitt (Xplosion, Dec 5th)
Kiyoshi Vs Daniels (iMPACT, Dec 10th)
Jesse Neal Vs James Storm (Xplosion, Dec 12th)

Two relatively big matches kicked off the tournament on Xplosion, with TNA legend Jeff Jarrett coming face to face with popular Beer Money tag team member Robert Roode, and current TNA X-Division Champion Amazing Red beginning his pursuit of becoming a double-champion against the widely-known Rhino. Both matches got roughly fifteen minutes and seemed a statement of intent for both Xplosion and the SpikeTV Championship. Robert Roode managed to pin Jeff Jarrett after a back-and-forth encounter with a Northern Lights Suplex and Amazing Red managed to weather a brutal onslaught against Rhino before a flurry of high-flying moves culminated in an Infrared and shock victory. In something that was to continue throughout the tournament, the winners of each match were interviewed in the ring directly after their victory. Roode oozed confidence and talked about wanting to prove he was not just a tag team wrestler while Red didn’t seem to at home on the microphone but still got the message across that he was intending on becoming a double-champion.

A fairly nondescript, extended squash match occurred on iMPACT with Matt Morgan running through his power-based move-set to easily overcome Sheik Abdul Bashir in the first round. Afterward, he said that he had his eye on a couple of other big guys in the tournament and was staking his claim as the alpha male on the roster. Fans had to tune into Xplosion to get their first glimpse of Marco Corleone and those who did would no doubt have been impressed by his sheer strength in a seven-minute match against Rob Terry. Terry, who is no weakling himself, couldn’t even get Corleone off his feet for the duration of the contest and fell victim to what was going to be presented as a rather deadly weapon in Corleone’s arsenal: The Knockout Punch. Corleone was the first to refuse to partake in a post-match interview.

Eric Young showed an aggressive vigor in his match against Jethro Holliday and despite the height and weight disadvantage, was the way more aggressive of the two men. He dropped him with not one, but two piledrivers, en-route to picking up the victory and in his post-match interview, went off on Heyman and the company declaring them wrong for stripping him of his TNA Legends Championship and forcing him to compete in a sixteen-man tournament to have a chance at obtaining the replacement championship. It was a surprising outburst that toed the line, something you wouldn’t have expected of a TNA Original and noted company man. In one of the best matches of the first round, Homicide put newcomer Prince Devitt through his paces but ultimately fell victim to a wicked Sling-Blade in a match that had the Xplosion crowd chanting for Devitt by the match's end. Devitt showed an unexpected assertiveness after the match saying that he was the Prince of Professional Wrestling but didn’t need any protection - if anybody stepped up to him, he’d take their head clean off.

If Eric Young’s outburst following his match was shocking, what happened between Kiyoshi and Daniels was absolutely astounding. Daniels was a heavy favorite to win the entire tournament and his first-round match against Kiyoshi was seen as nothing more than a formality but live on iMPACT, Kiyoshi unleashed a blood-thirsty side never seen previously and after a fantastic twenty-minute match, bit the head of Daniels until he drew blood and then took him down before tapping him out with a Crossface submission. The crowd was stunned into silence by the upset and even long-term interviewer Jeremy Borash was at a loss for words as Kiyoshi stood shouting in Japanese, with blood dripping down his chin. James Storm quite easily took care of Jesse Neal in the final first-round match but looked troubled when informed he would be facing his partner, Robert Roode, in the quarter-finals.

QUARTER-FINAL SCHEDULE
Robert Roode Vs James Storm (iMPACT, Dec 17th)
Kiyoshi Vs Matt Morgan (iMPACT, Dec 17th)
Eric Young Vs Amazing Red (Xplosion, Dec 19th)
Marco Corleone Vs Prince Devitt (Xplosion, Dec 19th)

The quarter-finals saw two double-headers take place on iMPACT and Xplosion. On the iMPACT side of things, there was a lot of interest in the clash between Beer Money team-mates Robert Roode and James Storm; a lot of fans were expecting that this would be the beginning of a Beer Money split, but the two shook hands before and after the twenty-minute war that saw James Storm emerge victorious. Roode stayed in the ring when Storm got on the microphone to announce he wasn’t stopping there after going through so much mentally by facing Roode and vowed to win the tournament. On their way to the back, both men were brutally attacked by a steel pipe-wielding Eric Young who had to be torn to the back by security. The other match on iMPACT saw Kiyoshi match up against Matt Morgan and despite his shock victory over Daniels in the first round, many saw this as a bridge too far for the Japanese star. Morgan rag-dolled Kiyoshi for large portions of the match but ended up with a broken nose by way of a flash palm strike by Kiyoshi and from there, Kiyoshi was able to dissect his larger opponent and eventually bring him to the ground in the same Crossface he had used to defeat Daniels. The big man didn’t tap but after a minute in the hold, passed out, and the match was awarded to Kiyoshi. Kiyoshi’s hands were covered in Morgan’s blood from the hold but that didn’t stop him from spreading the blood across his cheeks like warpaint and once again shock the wrestling world.

The Xplosion double-header was nearly changed to a one-match show with Heyman initially deciding to disqualify Young from the competition but the X-Division Champion, Amazing Red, protested heavily as he didn’t want a free pass to the semi-finals and wanted to teach Eric Young a lesson himself. Heyman okayed the match and after a strong showing for both men, Young emerged victorious following a piledriver. After the match, he shot on the decision to strip him of the title some more and also said he presumed he now has an X-Division Championship shot in the back pocket by virtue of beating Amazing Red. Two new imports put on arguably the match of the rounds when Marco Corleone and Prince Devitt faced off in the final quarter-final match. Devitt was more successful than Terry in getting the beast off his feet by way of his high-octane offense, but it was only ever temporary. Every time Corleone hit the mat, he bounced straight back up looking to attack once again. Devitt, to his credit, kicked out of a powerbomb AND a chokeslam, but when he was met with The Knockout Punch, his eyes rolled into the back of his head and Mark Johnson called for the bell before he even hit the canvas. Corleone again refused to take an interview after the match.

SEMI-FINAL SCHEDULE
Marco Corleone Vs Kiyoshi (iMPACT, Dec 24th)
Eric Young Vs James Storm (Xplosion, Dec 26th)

The two semi-finals were a very eclectic mix and likely nobody in the wrestling world called the four men involved as being the ones to reach this stage. First up was the unhinged, Japanese, madman against the Mexican import, the seemingly infallible Marco Corleone. Kiyoshi had already shocked the world twice and though he bit, elbowed, clawed, kicked, and even drew blood after a crazy crescent kick, he could not keep Corleone down. Despite taking a tonne of offense from the crazed Kiyoshi, Corleone barely ever looked like he was going to be down for the count. Even when he was covered in blood, and Kiyoshi looked to have the Crossface locked in, he merely stood up and slammed Kiyoshi on his back. Kiyoshi resorted to high-flying techniques but in one of the coolest spots in a long time, literally got punched out of mid-air with The Knockout Punch, giving Corleone his third straight knockout victory in the tournament. He didn’t even allow Borash to enter the ring to approach him for an interview, he simply left the ring with the unconscious Kiyoshi eagle spread in the middle of it, being attended to by EMTs.

The day after Christmas edition of Xplosion was the highly anticipated semi-final between Eric Young and James Storm. The whole hour was dedicated to the match and it had a really big-fight feel. Both men conducted sit-down interviews with Lauren Brooke prior to the match with Eric Young reiterating that Heyman had screwed him and that in retaliation, he was going to screw his tournament and all his other plans. In Storm’s interview, he talked about how he was closing in on the first singles championship of his career and while he somewhat understood where Young was coming from, he’d made the wrong move in trying to take his frustrations out on him. Storm said it would take more than Eric Young and a steel pipe to keep The Cowboy down just before Young stormed the interview set and began brawling with James Storm. Heyman arrived on the scene and announced in a late Christmas present to the Xplosion viewers, he was making this match a Falls Count Anywhere! The two brawled through the backstage area and then spent a ten-minute potion fighting in the ring before brawling back out into the crowd. Amidst the fans in attendance, James Storm hit Eric Young with a Last Call superkick which sent him hurtling down the flight of stairs in the crowd. Storm was loudly cheered as he pinned Young right there on the spot and ended the show by drinking beer with fans in the crowd.

THE FINAL
Marco Corleone Vs James Storm (New Years Impact, Dec 31st)

Without question, if you’ve been following the new Heyman-era of TNA at all, you’ll have borne witness to New Years Impact and likely seen Marco Corleone and James Storm do battle for the newly-minted TNA SpikeTV Championship in the penultimate match of the night. Despite overwhelming support for James Storm, Corleone always seemed slated to win this due to his insane knockout power and Storm’s rather trying path to the final. The match in question was pretty good and followed the story that had been set throughout the tournament of Corleone being notoriously difficult to get off his feet, and even harder to keep down. Storm tried with all his might but a fourth Knockout Punch in as many matches put Corleone’s TNA record at 4-0 by way of four knockouts and saw the SpikeTV Championship bestowed upon him. Interestingly, after the match, we finally got something from the Corleone camp - not from the man himself, he still had yet to speak - but via Konnan who aligned himself with Corleone as his manager and christened him “El Intocable”; a rather fitting moniker in hindsight as the tournament came to its conclusion.

While Corleone was obviously the big winner, a lot of other talent made a big impact, particularly the foreign talent within the company. The Irish competitor, Prince Devitt, turned a few heads with his in-ring ability and relative confidence on the microphone and Japanese-born Kiyoshi absolutely had a break-out tournament, awing TNA fans everywhere with his change in style and performances. Amazing Red had some good outings and Eric Young seems set to be a major feature going forward while Beer Money teammates Roode and Storm have certainly shown they’ll be able to fly the coop and compete in singles on their own two feet should that be the path they choose to take in the future. Really though, this was primarily about Corleone and the nature of his victories and how he’s been presented makes you think that this was merely an introduction to Corleone’s rise. It is hard to see at this juncture - though it is early - who will be able to beat him and it could easily be the case where he racks up ten star-chips in the next three months and gets a TNA World Heavyweight Championship match. In any case, the belt looks good on “El Intocable” and if the start of the TNA SpikeTV Championship’s inception is anything to go by, it should be in for a far healthier future than the ill-fated and frankly, unimportant, TNA Legends Championship.

Editor’s Note - Do not tell Eric Young we called the TNA Legends Championship “unimportant”

TNA SPIKETV TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS IN FULL
FIRST ROUND
Robert Roode def. Jeff Jarrett
Amazing Red def. Rhino
Matt Morgan def. Sheik Abdul Bashir
Marco Corleone def. Rob Terry
Eric Young def. Jethro Holliday
Prince Devitt def. Homicide
Kiyoshi def. Daniels
James Storm def. Jesse Neal

QUARTER-FINAL
James Storm def. Robert Roode
Kiyoshi def. Matt Morgan
Eric Young def. Amazing Red
Marco Corleone def. Prince Devitt

SEMI-FINAL
Marco Corleone def. Kiyoshi
James Storm def. Eric Young (falls count anywhere)

FINAL
Marco Corleone def. James Storm to become the inaugural TNA SpikeTV Champion

Authors note: SORRY!!! for the long delay, got really busy with E-Fed stuff/university stuff but schedule starting to clear with the latter so should have more time to crank out more frequent updates. The SpikeTV Championship write-up was the final update of the very first cycle in the project and I'm happy to have completed it! Up next should be the January 2010 recap and the build to the 8 Card Stud TV Special! Hope anybody checking out the project enjoys this update. Much luv, Tiggy x

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Legends Title: Great design, too many name changes, and poorly booked. Interesting idea!

Tig

Reaction score
Legends Title: Great design, too many name changes, and poorly booked. Interesting idea!
Yeah I really did like the design to be fair. I don’t intend for the SpikeTV Championship to continue its lineage or anything, it’s just a new championship. Hopefully it’s booked a bit better than the Legends Championship, eh?

Thanks for checking out, Rosie!

Reactions: Death By Looch

Tig

Reaction score
End of Cycle 1 Update.

XemGjLJJWoVimDq49YEU7WGD7o1UX8EHxXWuDea-HX_GgBTRHu3xdmhVrErZoPUtazWsmS4jZw0q7GpmGSG-rjWJ_WZ8KYd4V1Yad7Ei7wKpCN8MkkcHHja9NVitt9eyYNmYBL5Cg1w1oTLq3vZ282A

On-Screen Personnel
Andrew Thomas - Match Official
Christy Hemme - Ring Announcer (iMPACT)
David Penzer - Ring Announcer (Xplosion)
D’Lo Brown - Road Agent
Dixie Carter - President
Don West - Color Commentator (Xplosion)
Earl Hebner - Senior Match Official
Jeremy Borash - Backstage Interviewer (iMPACT)
Konnan - Manager of Marco Corleone
Kip James - Road Agent
Lauren Brooke - Backstage Interviewer (Xplosion)
Mark Johnson - Match Official
Mike Tenay - PxP Commentator (Xplosion & iMPACT)
Pat Kenney - Road Agent
Paul Heyman - Head of Creative/Official Matchmaker
Scott D’Amore - Road Agent
SoCal Val - Ring Attendant
Taz - Color Commentator

NazMvpBIyFsKhkFNbav-DoibYvwgEleCn8Ofm3heasffLrEX_wdaaChF4MrXY8Zia4H-MEYvLxOECZ-y1dEsXduyVJzZyvSRbIBHtkLtuI0VOos2Y7UADxjJLOnax2G2PK93o8CkD7j0qXhZ0gAWw7Y

Male Roster
Abyss
AJ Styles © World Heavyweight Champion
Alex Shelley
Amazing Red © X-Division Champion
Bobby Lashley
Booker T
Brother Devon
Brother Ray
Brutus Magnus © Tag Team Champion
Chris Sabin
Consequences Creed
D’Angelo Dinero
Daniels
Doug Williams © Tag Team Champion
Eddie Kingston
Eric Young
Giant Bernard
Hernandez
Homicide
James Storm
Jay Lethal
Jeff Jarrett
Jesse Neal
Jon Moxley
Karl Anderson
Kevin Nash
Kiyoshi
Kurt Angle
Marco Corleone © SpikeTV Champion
Matt Morgan
Mick Foley
Nigel McGuinness
Prince Devitt
Rhino
Rob Terry
Rob Van Dam
Robert Roode
Samoa Joe
Scott Steiner
Sheik Abdul Bashir
Stevie Richards
Sting
Suicide

Knockout Roster
Alissa Flash
Awesome Kong
Daffney
Hamada
Jessie McKay
Lacey von Erich
Madison Rayne
ODB © Knockouts Champion
Rachel Summerlyn
Roxxi Laveuax
Sarita © Knockouts Tag Team Champion
Tara
Taylor Wilde © Knockouts Tag Team Champion
Tenille Dashwood
Traci Brooks
Velvet Sky

-8hmgJEJbIgq6AqzIryTIOorEKQOzLv9QgvPX9qG1kE8d-64fxJwwZuuu0oTUC67bAuc5_lVoyAjboUxXTRkqRdSv-oNvNPHfVmnwYQramT7egcwPXP3OOHwnYATWm_I0-RTipU6lZ8HF5BueP4bT1s

Aussie Open - Jessie McKay & Tenille Dashwood
Bad Intentions - Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson
British Invasion - Brutus Magnus, Doug Williams & Rob Terry
Beer Money - James Storm & Robert Roode
Lethal Consequences - Consequences Creed & Jay Lethal
Motor City Machine Guns - Alex Shelley & Chirs Sabin
Team 3D - Brother Devon & Brother Ray
The Beautiful People - Lacey von Erich, Madison Rayne & Velvet Sky
Eddie Kingston & Homicide
Kevin Nash & Eric Young
Sarita & Taylor Wilde

ic0a8Kbct56VZW1ja1Lu667eW3XKvXIo-vq4pUK44VqY5dYZ98-AihIOepF_4MqJR1t7GkBDQgmoir_-3VkgEw_zKZicJqrNkpJFNkusJq9zJqcE062nYGi4ZVz9jM0usHUU6WyLZaiVs8rNOGuZNsg

TNA World Heavyweight Champion
AJ Styles | Won at No Surrender | September 20, 2009 - Present

TNA X-Division Champion
Amazing Red | Won at iMPACT | October 5, 2009 - Present

TNA SpikeTV Champion
Marco Corleone | Won at New Year’s Eve Impact | December 31, 2009 - Present

TNA World Tag Team Champions
British Invasion | Won at No Surrender | October 18, 2009 - Present

TNA Knockouts Champion
ODB | Won at No Surrender | September 20, 2009 - Present

TNA Knockouts Tag Team Champions
Sarita & Taylor Wilde | Won at No Surrender | September 20, 2009 - Present

TNA Legends Champion *DEFUNCT*
Eric Young | Won at Bound for Glory | October 18, 2009 - November 19, 2009

Last edited:

Tig

Reaction score
udghsVtLeZ2zERgtfuC7eFC1qVSAxbQiGpKDQ_hFk2uqt_rZdAK4HD6BLrz2MQmtuRvssEszxrEiq7zZQ57uNvF2x_GTvPztzO1D8-nXcrlhdGgaJ9H2ZTOd8jZyr6GIM1sXDi3prXfEVrZmny1z7Jw

A new year under a new regime for Total Nonstop Action and it heralded the start of what would end up being a noteworthy year in the company's history. SpikeTV executives were pleased with the initial direction the company had taken under Heyman, with the rating for the first live three-hour television special being deemed a success. In particular, the SpikeTV Championship tournament was well received by the network and this prompted a decision to book another tournament that would conclude at 8-Card Stud - the next live three-hour special that was slated to take place at the end of January. Paul Heyman also wanted to cast an eye towards the first PPV under his direction: the February extravaganza that was Against All Odds. Despite the plaudits from SpikeTV, it had been noted that they would have liked to see the World Heavyweight or World Tag Team Championships defended at the live three-hour edition of New Year’s Eve Impact. Heyman didn’t feel this was strictly necessary to equate to a good event, wanting to have the flexibility to be able to promote non-title matches as big draws to crowds and to use the top champions in other match settings on occasion. Still, he had two ready-made matches to run for both the World Heavyweight Championship and World Tag Team Championships and complied with the request by announcing that both championships would be defended at 8-Card Stard.

It may seem like Heyman returning to the well very quickly was a bad decision. Having another tournament so soon after the SpikeTV Championship may be seen as repetitive, but to Heyman’s credit, the 8-Card Stud tournament was presented as a higher profile tournament, one with an unrevealed twist, and the grand prize of being named the number one contender to the TNA World Heavyweight Championship with a guaranteed main event match at the Against All Odds Pay-Per-View. Additionally, it was announced that eight competitors would duke it out at 8-Card Stud to determine the winner and Kevin Nash championed just announcing the eight biggest stars not named AJ Styles or Kurt Angle as the contestants but Heyman was resolute in his vision that everything would have to be earned in TNA and put together eight qualifying matches to determine who would wrestle in the live-special. The qualifying matches were scheduled to take place during the three weeks of programming between New Year’s Eve Impact and 8-Card Stud. There was also a big announcement that TNA had partnered with YouTube to provide exclusive content and that before 8-Card Stud there was to be a web release titled “The Hardway” that was marketed as a “unique, uncut, uncensored hype-show” and was to be modeled after ECW’s Pulp Fiction promos.*

The qualifying campaign - dubbed as “Round One of the 8-Card Stud” - threw up a variety of storylines designed to help further existing feuds and develop angles for those involved. The initial first-round match to take place saw Samoa Joe continue his streak of dominance by viciously dismantling Eric Young. The convincing win was followed up by squashing Jesse Neal on Xplosion and then handily dispatching Booker T in a New Year’s Eve Impact rematch. Joe was beginning to regain a fierce reputation while Eric continued down the path of slamming Heyman, the company, and the treatment he had received since Heyman took over. The week after losing to Joe, Young once again cut a bitter promo about how he was being treated unfairly and was done dirty by being stripped of his TNA Legends Championship and being forced to enter a 16-man tournament to regain what was already his. At the behest of Konnan, Heyman agreed to give Eric Young a SpikeTV Championship match against Marco Corleone. “El Intocable” easily defeated Young, with commentary noting Eric was not at 100% following his match with Joe the week prior. Eric trotted out with taped-up ribs the following weeks and put forward the notion of a conspiracy against him. After a several-minute rant, iMPACT went to an unscheduled commercial break, cutting him off and leaving Eric a frustrated figure.

The rivalry between Nigel McGuinness and Hernandez teetered onwards, with the pacing suggesting that there are designs on a frantic build to a suspected Against All Odds match between the two. McGuinness booked his place at 8-Card Stud by submitting a game Stevie Richards and re-enacted his debut against Sting by leaving the submission locked in long after the bell rang. SuperMex made the save, getting a big pop when his music hit, but didn’t get his hands on McGuinness as the wily Englishman retreated into the crowd. McGuinness flipped off Hernandez and shouted that he was making it personal as Hernandez taunted from the ring. Prior to the Round One match between Hernandez and Sheik Abdul Bashir, McGuinness claimed in a backstage interview that Hernandez had upped the stakes of the rivalry by throwing him off the stage at New Year’s Eve Impact and interfering in his matches - conveniently forgetting he had attacked Hernandez on more than one occasion in the past. Despite McGuinness attempting to interfere in the match between Hernandez and Bashir, Hernandez emerged victorious. McGuinness vowed he’d have the final say in their feud, and he’d cost Hernandez more than he could ever imagine. SuperMex welcomed these claims and told McGuinness he knows where to find him.

Despite Jay Lethal and Consequences Creed holding singles victories over Doug Williams and Brutus Magnus respectively, AND being on the winning side of the six-man tag featuring Kurt Angle and AJ Styles at New Year’s Eve Impact, the World Tag Team Champions relentlessly taunted the duo as not being up to the mark in the build-up to their championship match at 8-Card Stud. The British tandem cited their inclusion in the 8-Card Stud tournament as proof of their superiority over their challengers. Having previously berated their enforcer, Rob Terry, for “costing” them the singles encounters against Lethal Consequences, Magnus and Williams decided to once again squarely pin the blame of the New Year’s Eve Impact loss on Rob Terry’s shoulders as he wasn’t present for the match. The British Invasion enforcer was ordered to make things right by 8-Card Stud but he fell victim to a roll-up not once, but twice, as firstly Jay Lethal on iMPACT and then Creed on Xplosion, caught the enforcer with the flash pin. Despite not verbally responding to British Invasions taunts, Lethal Consequences certainly made their response heard as they cost Williams and Magnus their Round One matches against Matt Morgan and Suicide; the challengers had their music play during pivotal moments in both matches causing distraction and costing Williams and Magnus their Round One match-ups. Lethal Consequences seemed to have all the momentum heading into the championship match but on the final Xplosion before the bout, Rob Terry was told if British Invasion didn’t retain the championships at 8-Card Stud he would be kicked out of the group - Terry immediately acted on this, taking out Lethal Consequences on the ramp as they were en-route to the ring to speak ahead of their championship match.

Beer Money are an immensely talented tag team, but it is fair to say that TNA were definitely experimenting with them in a singles capacity as both were announced for the 8-Card Stud tournament. Following strong performances from Storm and Roode in the SpikeTV Championship tournament both were held in high regard, with Storm’s run to the final being particularly praised. Both men hyped each other up and said they’d have each other's back throughout the tournament. They were faced with stiff tasks in the opening round with Storm set to face Rob Van Dam in his debut match, and Roode having to take on former multi-time World Heavyweight Champion, Jeff Jarrett. An interesting wrinkle to these match-ups was that RVD and Jarrett seemed to be somewhat engaging in a war of words. Jeff Jarrett slammed Paul Heyman for taking control of the company and pointed to the recruitment of RVD on a big-money contract and his instant inclusion in a tournament to determine the number one contender as “only the start of it”, with a wild declaration that Heyman would be playing favorites. Rob Van Dam laughed it off in typical RVD fashion and said that Jarrett needs to chill, he can moan about Heyman all he wants, but the simple fact is that Jarrett hadn’t won a match since Heyman took over. The trend continued as Bobby Roode managed to defeat Jarrett, and just to compound Jarrett’s fury, RVD came out on top of a scintillating iMPACT match against James Storm.

Arguably the biggest story coming out of New Year’s Eve Impact was that Jon Moxley attacked his idol, Mick Foley, following his retirement. The vicious attack which saw Moxley put Foley through a flaming table shocked the TNA fanbase but also drew the ire of Abyss - the man who had defeated Foley in his final match. Abyss was so irate at Moxley trying to steal his thunder that he challenged him to a Monster’s Ball. Moxley happily accepted and then defeated Abyss in a bloody Monster’s Ball - the first of its kind to be aired on Xplosion. Following this, Moxley issued a challenge for Foley to have one more match - against him. He said he deserved the right to have The Hardcore Legend pass the moniker to him and that he wouldn’t be competing until Foley accepted, he’d just sit in the back and collect a paycheque. This did prompt Heyman to make a call to Foley but Foley refused to bow to his demands. Heyman tried to sweeten Moxley by giving him a spot in the 8-Card Stud tournament but Moxley threw it back in his face by intentionally getting disqualified in his match with Daniels. Heyman retaliated by suspending Moxley without pay for thirty days.

While the field of the 8-Card Stud tournament boasted many top names, arguably the two biggest stars in the company were set to duke it out for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. AJ Styles’ defense against Kurt Angle had been announced by Paul Heyman at New Year’s Eve Impact and was met with widespread hype from fans. AJ Styles, however, wasn’t fully sold on the idea that Angle was the most credible threat on the roster nor did he feel Angle had particularly earned a shot at the title and he aired that thought as the two shared a ring for a contract signing on iMPACT. To say this touched a nerve with Angle would be an understatement; he nailed the champion with an Olympic Slam as he was busy signing the contract, and locked in an Ankle Lock for good measure. Before the night was out, however, AJ got his revenge by attacking Angle on the way to his car. Heyman implemented a “no-touch” condition prior to their meeting at 8-Card Stud and the following week Jeremy Borash hosted a sit-down interview where AJ Styles claimed he was the main event of TNA, Angle refuted the claim by declaring that he was the main event of wrestling and swore that he’d tap AJ out at 8-Card Stud. Borash revealed that the two would pick each other’s tune-up opponents for the go-home iMPACT. Angle called in a favor from an old friend, telling AJ he needed to be beating these bonafide main eventers before making any proclamations about himself. AJ put away “The Icon” Sting in a back-and-forth encounter. Angle seemed pleased when AJ announced Kiyoshi as his opponent but quickly had the smile wiped off his face when Kiyohi nearly knocked him out cold with a spinning heel kick as soon as the bell rang. The speed of the kick prompted Taz to declare “Like a flash of lightning, Kiyoshi has caught Kurt Angle cold here!”. Kiyoshi showed aggression and kept up the strong performances from the SpikeTV Championship but eventually got kept down just shy of the twenty-minute mark by Angle. Angle came out victorious, but Taz’s impromptu commentary led to Kiyoshi’s moniker of “The Lightning Flash” and helped along what was a very unexpected push for a man many people forgot was on the roster prior to Heyman’s arrival.

In Knockout action, the main rivalry waging on was between the champion ODB and the woman who came extremely close to dethroning her at New Year’s Eve Impact, Hamada. Roxxi revealed that she interfered in the match on behalf of ODB as ODB had personally gone to bat for her with Heyman and used her influence as the champion to get her job back. Hamada didn’t care for the reasons and stormed the ring looking for an immediate rematch with ODB for the Knockout’s Championship. ODB said she’d consider the request if Hamada could beat Roxxi, which she did on the following episode of iMPACT. ODB still wouldn’t grant Hamada a rematch and said if Hamada and a partner of her choosing could defeat them in a tag team match the following week, then she’d put her title on the line against Hamda at 8-Card Stud. ODB was so confident that nobody would want to team with Hamada, she offered that if Hamada won the tag match, then the title match could be in a match of her choosing. ODB would live to regret it as Hamada’s surprise partner was ODB’s Bound For Glory rival, Tara. Tara got a great reception and ODB and Roxxi ended up on the losing end of the match. Hamada popped the crowd by getting on the microphone after and announcing she wanted the championship on the line in Full Metal Mayhem. Worryingly for the whole division, Awesome Kong reappeared in her first appearances since Bound for Glory, squashing a couple of local enhancement talents over the course of a few weeks. Elsewhere in the division, Sarita and Taylor Wilde defended their championships against Madison Rayne and Velvet Sky of The Beautiful People and Aussie Open also defeated Rayne and Sky but in a quicker time - something they were keen to point out in backstage segments. Rachel Summerlyn had a winning debut on iMPACT as she beat Daffney in a plus ten-minute hardcore match which was well received.

Marco Corleone continued his gimmick of refusing to talk to anyone, with Konnan doing all the speaking for “El Intocable” but racked up three star-chips to insert in his SpikeTV Championship with defenses against Brother Devon (who was still waiting on Ray to return from injury to resume the feud with Bad Intentions), Eric Young, and Jesse Neal. Amazing Red defended his X-Divison Championship in two high-octane matches against eliminated 8-Card Stud participants, Sheik Abdul Bashir and Stevie Richards - marking a losing month for the two. In the tag team division, the team of Eddie Kingston and Homicide won back-to-back squash matches against local talent before surprising everyone by beating the Motor City Machine Guns. Heyman had promised future signings would be staggered after a big influx prior to the end of 2009, but vignettes began airing for “The American Dragon” Bryan Danielson. This move caused excitement, particularly in the Internet Wrestling Community. Perhaps also semi-noteworthy was that Cody Deaner, who had been released before New Year’s Eve Impact, had shown back up at broadcasts pleading for his job back.

The last twist of the cycle came on the Xplosion before 8-Card Stud where Heyman revealed that Round 2 would feature four singles matches, all with individual stipulations, and that the final of the tournament would be a four-way elimination match featuring the victors of these match-ups. Hernandez would come against Matt Morgan in a Tables match, Samoa Joe would face Suicide in a Texas Bull Rope match, Daniels would battle Nigel McGuinness in a Pure Rules match, and Rob Van Dam would fight Robert Roode in a First Blood match. With that big announcement, 8-Card Stud was fully set and the only remaining stop before the event was the YouTube exclusive “The Hardway” that was set to air in the days prior to 8-Card Stud.

*The YouTube exclusive “The Hardway” will be available to read prior to the 8-Card Stud results.

+Bryan Danielson

8-Card Stud
January 28th, 2010

live from The iMPACT Zone
Orlando, Florida
MATCH ONE//30 minute time limit
singles match for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship
AJ Styles © vs Kurt Angle