TNA Suing WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
TNA hasn't done this with all the wee guys they hire? I'm sure they tell them when a buddy's deal is up so they can make a bid, and even get in the their ear through their friend with promises

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
What kind of business points could TNA possibly have that could even remotely harm WWE revenue. John Cena takes shits more amazing for revenue than TNA has business plans.

Reactions: 1 person

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
So WWE notify TNA that one of their former employees has hold of confidential data and let TNA know that they have fired him and in return TNA sue WWE? If WWE wanted to use this information then why would they have bothered letting TNA know that they had this information? Can't see TNA getting anything out of WWE, WWE's lawyers will be able to show that they fired the guy and notified TNA about the breach, can't really do anything more than that.

As for WWE apparently using this data to sign guys, specifically Ric Flair, I mean seriously come on. Flair did work for WWE for many, many years and they would have all his details already plus Flair has many good friends in WWE so they would have known when his contract with TNA expired. As others have said, TNA and WWE wrestlers do have friends in each company and would talk about contracts and it can easily feed back to Vince to let him know when wrestlers are free to sign.

PY.

Reaction score
According to the suit, WWE is now using that information to poach wrestlers from TNA.

That part made me laugh.. I guess trying to cash a check and it being denied has nothing to do with it.. TNA is just pathetic anymore.

scottcs88

Reaction score
This actually makes sense now. Think of it. TNA Goes live and in the same day wwe announce they were going three hours. WWE must of known tna was planning on going live because it takes months to plan something like this. Matt morgan Alex Shelly and flair leaving? Yea flair was planning on leaving and Morgan stated that he was thinking of leaving but he was still negotiating with tna . WWE knew how much he was making and decided to give him a little more, prob not a lot but still enough to lure him away.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
This actually makes sense now. Think of it. TNA Goes live and in the same day wwe announce they were going three hours. WWE must of known tna was planning on going live because it takes months to plan something like this. Matt morgan Alex Shelly and flair leaving? Yea flair was planning on leaving and Morgan stated that he was thinking of leaving but he was still negotiating with tna . WWE knew how much he was making and decided to give him a little more, prob not a lot but still enough to lure him away.
Erm, I don't really see how any of that makes sense to be brutally honest. How does TNA going Live on a Thursday affect WWE in anyway on a Monday? In regards to Flair, HHH could have just asked Flair at the HOF about his contract situation given how tight they are with each other, they wouldn't some mole to leak his contract details. There's been nothing at all about WWE approaching Matt Morgan either, that's just all guesswork given what Matt has said recently and the apparent situation with him using up old his scheduled dates and his contract coming to an end imminently. With Shelley, his contract has actually expired and he's expressed an interest in going to Japan so even if WWE does approach him, they're perfectly within their rights to do so.

For TNA's sake, I hope they have something better to go on because those few things you just mentioned seem like nothing but guess work and assumptions.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
WWE only needs to counter sue them into oblivion.

WWE already has them by the balls with copyright infringement.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I wonder if this will cause WWE to actually try to go after TNA. They did the nice thing by notifying them when one of their ex-employees was trying to give them documents that he shouldn't have had and now TNA are suing them for doing the right thing. WWE could decide that rather than helping TNA they should do all they can to destroy the company by taking their wrestlers and taking their advertisers.

If I was in charge of WWE I would be tempted to take Smackdown back to where it belongs, Thursday nights. That was the original night for Smackdown and it was only moved there because UPN was trying to kill off the show and didn't want the contract anymore. WWE never wanted it on Fridays since that is a night when a lot of their key audience doesn't watch television. On Thursday nights Smackdown would easily rate more than 3.0 but since it moved to Fridays it dropped to early 2.0s or less. Take it back to Thursday and run it opposite Impact, still tape Smackdown don't bother running it live. On Thursday Smackdown will get better ratings so they should move it.

scottcs88

Reaction score
Do you guys hear how stupid both of you sound? I am sorry but think Logical here. How could wwe sue tna for copy right infringement. what has tna copy them on? and how could wwe take away there sponsors? they cant .I love how people think wwe are innocent in all this and trying to defend them because they kiss vince's ass. Vince has been known to do this sort of thing. He has done this in the past. The fact remains vince prob sent the mole in to tna to try to raid some of the talent .. TNA Has a strong case and will def win . WWE will try to settle so they wont lose much.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Wow. You might want to re-read what you wrote and then re-read the news articles. Do you really believe that Vince sent a mole to TNA after re-reading the news articles? If so I feel a bit sorry for you.

What are WWE guilty of? Notifying TNA that a guy that worked for TNA is dishonest and stole information from them? How is that a crime and how can TNA feel good about suing WWE for doing an honest thing especially since WWE also fired the guy? TNA has an incredibly weak case against WWE, but a strong case against the guy that stole documents from them. The guy that used to work for them that stole info is in a lot of trouble and will be punished accordingly but the case against WWE will get thrown out of court.

It is actually pretty easy to take away sponsors, WWE can contact them and ask them if they want to advertise with the number one wrestling company in the world. If WWE wanted to actually compete then they could very easily do it and it was a mistake for TNA to include WWE in this lawsuit.

scottcs88

Reaction score
Actually, it's pretty hard to do especially if they have contracts with the spon. WWE cant do anything until the contract runs out and yes I do. Vince done it to Eric in wcw years ago. and eric done it to vince .Vince is known for something like this. From what I read it took wwe three weeks to report him? Why? Why did it take three weeks when day one of it happening they should of told tna? because they needed time to review and make copies of the documents and too make themselves look good.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I know that sponsors have contracts but they simply wait until it expires.

My comment about re-reading was how you claimed he was a mole. From all reports it seems like he worked for TNA and then on his way out took some info that he thought might make him popular with WWE whereas in fact it got him fired. No indication what so ever that he was planted in TNA for three years before they took him back, if he was a mole why wait three whole years before getting him out of TNA? It makes no sense at all, I am not a believer in crazy conspiracy theories and this seems incredibly far fetched. It might have made more sense if TNA was a threat to WWE and beating them in the ratings but TNA are still tiny compared to WWE so aren't a threat.

First we don't know if WWE actually waited three weeks before notifying TNA, I can't find any mention of when the writer was fired to compare with when WWE contacted TNA. If they did wait a bit then I would make the assumption that they were talking to their lawyers about how to go about contacting TNA and if/how they should go about it.

Reading the quotes from the lawsuit TNA have made a couple of mistakes by overstating the damage. Here is the quote I am referring to;
“In order to injure TNA and gain a competitive advantage, WWE intentionally interfered with TNA’s contractual relationship with Ric Flair and maliciously used the trade secrets and confidential information provided by Wittenstein to approach Ric Flair,”

Ric Flair worked for WWE for a very long time and his best friend is one of the top executives in WWE (HHH). Friends do discuss contract situations and there is nothing illegal about friends discussing work. If TNA had listed someone like a Bobby Roode or a James Storm, someone that has never worked for WWE and wouldn't have any big connections there then I would give this claim more credibility. Choosing Flair for the lawsuit was a big mistake. Plus TNA claiming that WWE managed to gain a competitive advantage and injure TNA by talking to Flair is laughable. Flair is rarely used by TNA and isn't a highly pushed star. Again if it was Roode/Storm/Aries then I might believe a little bit of it but since they chose Flair I don't believe a word of it.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Do you guys hear how stupid both of you sound? I am sorry but think Logical here.
I responded to your 'Think Logical' rubbish but you seemed to ignore it all :hm:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I could use countless examples of TNA using WWE copyrighted material on their shows, but I'll just go with the fact that Flair and Hogan were using WWE HOF rings on Impact and PPVs.

Do you know why Vince was able to buy WCW so cheap? Because he had WCW by the balls for trashing the womens title on a Nitro. TNA has used WWE copyrighted material for most of their run.

And whats the deal with them using Hogans WWE entrance for the Brooke Hogan promos? Jerry McDivit would eat this company for lunch.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Full Details on TNA Lawsuit vs. WWE - TNA Alleges Brian Wittenstein Emailed WWE Complete TNA Roster Contract Information, Wittenstein Claims WWE Requested the Information and More

A look at the lawsuit TNA filed last week against World Wrestling Entertainment and Brian Wittenstein provides deeper insight into exactly what confidential materials TNA alleges that Wittenstein provided to WWE, why they are suing WWE as well as Wittenstein and why the company feels WWE tampered with Ric Flair's TNA deal.

In the 37 page lawsuit filing obtained by PWInsider.com, TNA stated that Wittenstein signed a Severance Agreement with the company in August 2011 (which means that unlike what he claimed to PWInsider, Wittenstein was let go by TNA) where he agreed to a severance package in exchange for returning any company materials and not disclosing confidential TNA information. TNA included a copy of Wittenstein's Severance Agreement in the filing, blacking out only the amount he was paid by the company as severance.

In violation of the Severance Agreement, Wittenstein then allegedly "downloaded and took TNA's confidential, trade secret and proprietary information after leaving his employment with TNA." The lawsuit noted that Wittenstein, in his position as Talent Relations Coordinator, had access to TNA's computer network and proprietary information.

TNA's lawsuit admitted that the company TNA is "uncertain of the full breadth of Wittenstein's "theft and at minimum, the company believes he took documents including "copies of TNA's policies and procedures, a spreadsheet contained personal and confidential information regarding TNA's wrestling talent and staff, a spreadsheet containing the terms of TNA's contracts "with its prospective, present and past wrestling talent", a spreadsheet containing "confidential information regarding activity, payment and royalty reports" for TNA talents, a draft contract between TNA and one of its wrestlers, an executed contract between TNA and one of its wrestlers and a draft promotional agreement between TNA and a licensee.

TNA noted that their Severance Agreement with Wittenstein allowed him to go work for WWE or any other competitor as long as he "complied with his obligations" not to use TNA's material or information.

Instead, Wittenstein sent a memorandum to WWE "summarizing TNA's contracts with its wrestling talent." TNA's filing included an excerpt of Wittenstein's email, where he wrote, "Attached, please find a contract status and terms chart for the TNA Wrestling roster. I combined a bunch of different documents I had from there to put it all in one concise spreadsheet that should capture all the relevant information you would be interested in. Here are a few notes for you regarding the TNA deals."

So, TNA is alleging that every piece of important material relating to their roster's contracts were handed over to their primary competitor, which explains the Unfair Competition aspect of their lawsuit. They believe WWE knows all of their contractual details when it comes to talent and can make moves to out-maneuver TNA when necessary with that information.

Wittenstein's supervisor (possibly Michael Hayes, as he was working as Hayes' assistant, according to PWInsider sources) turned the material over to WWE's legal department. Wittenstein was terminated by WWE in April, having worked there for three months as a "Live Event Booking Assistant", according to his LinkedIn.com profile.

TNA was unaware of the issue until 5/7, when WWE's Vice President of Legal/Business Affairs Scott Amann contacted TNA's General Counsel Creede Williams, informing the company that Wittenstein had divulged TNA information to WWE without WWE's solicitation of the information and they had terminated Wittenstein for that breach. The filing noted that Amann forwarded a copy of TNA's information, which TNA has received in "both hard and electronic form".

TNA alleged in the suit that WWE was in possession of the material for three weeks before contacting them and that when questioned, Amann "did not explain the reason(s) for the delay". In their filing, TNA noted that they contacted Wittenstein, who admitted the disclosure of the information and "represented to TNA that he did so at the request of WWE." TNA believes that WWE "solicited and/or inducted" Wittenstein to provide them with TNA's confidential information and has "unclean hands" in the matter.

The lawsuit filing also claimed that TNA "has reason to believe" that WWE is using the information to "solicit or induce TNA's current wrestling talent to end their contractual relationships with TNA." TNA noted that on 5/9, Ric Flair, described as under exclusive contract to TNA, "attempted to terminate his contractual relationship with TNA" and "made statements" that led TNA to believe he was planning to join WWE. The company noted that Flair's timing to WWE's admission to TNA that they were in possession of TNA's confidential information is "highly suspect" and that Flair was in breach of his TNA deal by not showing for events, including the Sacrifice PPV.

In a later filing, TNA requested two hour depositions with Flair, John Laurinaitis and Paul Levesque (HHH) in regard to the case. The lawsuit makes no reference to Flair appearing at Wrestlemania and the WWE Hall of Fame earlier this year, so that appearance, which TNA signed off on after negotiating with WWE, is not in question in any way, shape or form at this time.

There are no other TNA talents specifically named as being allegedly tampered with by WWE. Obviously, there have been and will be again cases of talent signed to one company sending feelers out and even having secret meetings with other companies.

TNA put up a $30,000 bond to prevent WWE and Wittenstein from using, damaging or copying any confidential material they may have in their possession and the court has demanded all materials be returned prior to a 6/11 hearing on the case in Nashville. TNA filed the lawsuit in Nashville as Wittenstein worked in their corporate offices and agreed when he signed his severance agreement that any issues would be heard in court in TN. Since WWE does business in the State, TNA has stated they have filed the suit there and WWE would be under TN jurisdiction as well.

TNA is suing for interference with existing contracts, conversion, breach of contract, civil conspiracy, unfair competition, and violation of the Tennessee Uniform Trade Secrets Act. They are also suing Wittenstein for breach of duty of loyalty. TNA is seeking reimbursement of payments made to Wittenstein as part of their Severance Agreement as well as it's attorney fees and expenses in bring forth the lawsuit.

They are also seeking a court order to permanently enjoin WWE and Wittenstein from ever disclosing, using or maintaining TNA's confidential material. An injunction was issued demanding that WWE and Wittenstein each return whatever confidential material Wittenstein retained from his time working for TNA. They were specifically instructed not to "destroy" any of the material.

TNA is claiming a civil conspiracy in their lawsuit as WWE and Wittenstein "conspired and agreed" to share confidential, trade secret and proprietary information Wittenstein "wrongfully took" from TNA. They stated that WWE would use and "did use" that information "to solicit and induce TNA's wrestling talent to breach their contracts with TNA and enter into contracts with WWE."

TNA noted that due to Wittenstein and WWE's "misappropriation and/or threatened misappropriation of TNA's trade secrets, TNA will suffer damages, as well as immediate and irreparable harm. TNA has no adequate remedy at law." The lawsuit noted that "money damages cannot adequately compensate TNA, even if Defendants could respond by paying money damage."

The filing noted that TNA was "damaged in an amount in excess of the court's minimal jurisdictional limits" and that the conduct of WWE and Wittenstein "entitles TNA to an award of exemplary damages in an amount in excess of this Court's minimal jurisdictional limit."

Neither WWE nor Wittenstein have officially responded to the court as of this writing.
Obviously that's what the court is there for, but it seems like there's alot of stuff that's need to be actually proved in actual physical form because all that there seems to be so far is just allegations. Wittenstein needs actual proof that WWE requested all that info and that he didn't hand it over voluntarily. Again, TNA needs actual evidence that WWE was using the information to either tap up the talent or have them try and break their contracts with TNA because so far it just seems like they're making assumptions due to WWE actually having the information to be able to do so. Will be interesting to see what actual evidence TNA has, if any at all.