TNA Might Quit the PPV Business

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xtremebadass

Reaction score
NoDQ.com > TNA > TNA surprise rumor, Tommy Dreamer update
Posted by Corbin Nordhoff on 06/14/2010 at 01:41 PM

- According to PWInsider.com, there is a rumor (and clearly just a rumor at this point) regarding Dixie Carter's big surprise for TNA. The speculation now is that TNA would be dropping their PPVs in favor of monthly live specials on Spike TV. Once again, this is only a rumor and has NOT been confirmed.

- Tommy Dreamer is booked to appear on television for both Impact tapings this week. If he hasn't signed a contract yet, it appears that he will do so in the near future.

Well if they figure they can't get people to pay for their shit, they might as well build a better audience for free.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
If this is true, how is that desperate? If they aren't getting the ppv numbers they want, why continue losing money on them?

Reaction score
What mainstream wrestling promotion hasn't had PPVs? By dropping the only outlet where you can showcase the upper tier matches and championship matches, just to resort to see it for free on TV. Desperate.

Montana

Reaction score
I heard TNA was moving impact to the road. Not really sure what the big surprise was. Lord knows i wouldn't call dreamer a big surprise.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
Lets see, get rid of some ppvs and have the specials or whatever they talking about for free to build up their fan base (which I'm pretty sure will have ppv quality matches) or keep ppvs, lose money, put them selves in a deeper hole eventually leading to bankruptcy. Decisions decisions.

Reaction score
get rid of some ppvs and have the specials or whatever they talking about for free to build up their fan base
Yes, they should absolutely get rid of one of the only things TNA garners money from. And to build up their fan base well, they had 8 years of doing that.

or keep ppvs, lose money, put them selves in a deeper hole eventually leading to bankruptcy.
Or they could eliminate the main reason why they are in a big of a hole, and get rid of some of the lackluster talent that got lucrative contracts.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
It's tough to make money now though. Without PPVs, it's basically they're just hanging on till Spike cuts the cord.

Reaction score
Yes, they should absolutely get rid of one of the only things TNA garners money from. And to build up their fan base well, they had 8 years of doing that.

Or they could eliminate the main reason why they are in a big of a hole, and get rid of some of the lackluster talent that got lucrative contracts.

You don't know what you are talking about. TNA doesn't make much, if any money off their PPV's. Do you know how much it costs to run live TV? And to pay the PPV providers? They ain't turning a profit when about 7,000 people are paying for the product. TNA makes most of it's meager profits over seas where some networks are paying higher licensing fees for TNA product compared to WWE product. Here at home they don't make much of anything.

And second, TNA doesn't pay ANY of the lucrative contracts. Spike does. They can barely afford to pay their Knockouts $250 per appearance, you think they are paying Hogan, Sting, Angle, Hardy, etc? NOPE. Spike does because they desperately want wrestling on their station. Panda puts so little into TNA that it's not even funny. But Spike wont foot the bill for them to travel, hence the shows always airing from the Impact Zone and house shows being few and far between.

Kizza

Reaction score
Wait, dropping events is a big surprise worth hyping? What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Travis40

Reaction score
I don't think this should be surprising in the least bit. TNA had been struggling to get buys, so this isn't unexpected at all.

Double J

Reaction score
What mainstream wrestling promotion hasn't had PPVs? By dropping the only outlet where you can showcase the upper tier matches and championship matches, just to resort to see it for free on TV. Desperate.

Hell how is it any different than before? They've been showing upper tier matches on iMpact for months now while doing normal matches on PPVs. Hardy vs RVD; RVD vs Styles; RVD vs Hardy vs Styles all big matches that people always wanted to see that could of been used to draw numbers at a ppv but they showed them live without any hype to them.

Reaction score
TNA doesn't make much, if any money off their PPV's. Do you know how much it costs to run live TV? And to pay the PPV providers? They ain't turning a profit when about 7,000 people are paying for the product. TNA makes most of it's meager profits over seas where some networks are paying higher licensing fees for TNA product compared to WWE product. Here at home they don't make much of anything.
It doesn't really matter. If 7,000 people order the product, then that's still a profit regardless. How many people do you think actually buy the merchandise and DVDs?

And second, TNA doesn't pay ANY of the lucrative contracts. Spike does. They can barely afford to pay their Knockouts $250 per appearance, you think they are paying Hogan, Sting, Angle, Hardy, etc? NOPE. Spike does because they desperately want wrestling on their station.
I honestly did not know that. I thought that since they work for TNA than TNA would be paying them. And since they have the head honcho UFC on there, they could care less about TNA.

Hell how is it any different than before? They've been showing upper tier matches on iMpact for months now while doing normal matches on PPVs. Hardy vs RVD; RVD vs Styles; RVD vs Hardy vs Styles all big matches that people always wanted to see that could of been used to draw numbers at a ppv but they showed them live without any hype to them
Ask yourself this: Damn this is a great match. PPV worthy even. Why couldn't they keep this for PPV instead of showing it for free on TV? This is a problem. TNA SHOULD NOT have to show these matches on TV, when all in all they could put these matches on PPV and garner more PPV buys. They do this so they can gather more of a fanbase, they had 8 years to gather a fanbase before Hogan and Bischoff.

Kizza

Reaction score
Actually, I highly doubt they'd run a profit from PPV buys. The set up costs, arena hire, promotion for the event, etc etc. They'd probably be lucky to break even.

Airfixx

Reaction score
I hope they're keeping their eye on the prize and not considering dropping their plan to go 3D too. :shifty:

No PPVs, fuck all shows outside of the TV studio, virtually no promotion to save money... Is it me or are TNA just a couple of steps away from having to kayfaybe the very notion that they are a wrestling fed/company period?

It's like a fictional TV show ABOUT a wrestling company rather tham actually being a typically functioning one.

Haven't watched Impact in a long while..... Is Hogan even appearing from week to week?

I find it hard not to imagine him making minimal appearances and purely 'getting paid' at this point. Surely him & Bish don't still think they can compete with Vince given the 'vehicle' they're 'driving'.