TNA Financial Problems?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
What would I do? Easy, anybody over 40. I'm going to cut your head off, hey I respect what you did for the business but gtfo, this is a young mans company from now on. They tried using familiar names, guess what it didn't work. Maybe it's time to actually make the company an actual alternative, showcase shit WWE isn't doing like more emphasis on weight classes, hire some nobodies to kill themselves in gimmick matches to pop the shows sporadically. Make the show as ADHD as possible, why? Because the hardcore wrestling fan seem to cater towards this, so why not just find that niche fan who boners for shit like DragonGate and think junior heavyweights were actual draws and think Lucha Libre doesn't look phony as fuck. Would it be a show I'd watch? Not really, but you actually offer an alternative to what the major leagues are doing, you will actually find yourself an audience.

Thats pretty much the exact same thing Heyman said when TNA were trying to sign him, and it really strikes me as stupid and short sighted.

Sure, smarks always say "put over the young talent", but what if the young guys are plain trash and their old guys are better? Would you rather see Crimson than Bully Ray?

If a guy is entertaining, push them regardless of age. Mark Henry took like, 15 years to get truly over.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
What would I do? Easy, anybody over 40. I'm going to cut your head off, hey I respect what you did for the business but gtfo, this is a young mans company from now on. They tried using familiar names, guess what it didn't work. Maybe it's time to actually make the company an actual alternative, showcase shit WWE isn't doing like more emphasis on weight classes, hire some nobodies to kill themselves in gimmick matches to pop the shows sporadically. Make the show as ADHD as possible, why? Because the hardcore wrestling fan seem to cater towards this, so why not just find that niche fan who boners for shit like DragonGate and think junior heavyweights were actual draws and think Lucha Libre doesn't look phony as fuck. Would it be a show I'd watch? Not really, but you actually offer an alternative to what the major leagues are doing, you will actually find yourself an audience.
And you believe that would be more successful than what TNA is doing right now? To me, that just sounds like the actual circuit and not an actual alternative you were suggesting they should be.

The age thing aswell is daft too like Cork mentioned, judge them by their merits and not their age.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Are you one of those TNA Apologists? TNA just started taking their show on the road this year. International exposure is great, as a supplement but it isn't doing shit for their main US market. They went 2 hours what? 5-6 years ago now? It clearly hasn't helped.

You can do everything in the world to try to promote a bag of shit, but it's still a bag of shit. Until they improve the product, they aren't going to be making a dent in the market. TNA is in PRIME territory being based in the South to move around the southeast and south and get their brand out there. But the product is still nonsensical garbage.

TNA has a LOT of talent in their stable, but they don't fucking use it because whoever is booking this shit is an idiot. No one gives a shit that the X division title has to be defended in Three Way dances (Is that still going on? It's been a couple months. Would be the longest, unbroken storyline in TNA history. Trufax.) No one gave a shit about the MEM the 1st time, let alone now. Aces and 8s? Awful.

I've watched a LOT of promotions in my life: WWF/E, WCW, NWA, Smoky Mountain, GWF, USWA, WCCW, etc etc, and I've NEVER seen as pisspoor booking as I've seen in TNA... Consistently. I know the TNA fans on the boards assume that I (and anyone else) who says shit about TNA is just hating, but it REALLY IS that damn bad.

I hope they really are bleeding out. Cut some costs, cut the roster and go back to doing what TNA can do really well: Put on great matches and let the fans they gain figure out who's getting pushed and what storylines to develop Television and PPVs around. Is this a hard concept?

:kofi:

One of the great posts maybe ever on this forum agree with it all.

They need to get back to some of the stuff they were doing well in the early years of the promotion while to being more aggressive with the promotion of the product.

Its not such a age thing with those guys Dale just that they reflect a ex-WWE/WCW/ECW statement which is something TNA should move away from instead of being a bad cover version they should come up with their own material.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
ts not such a age thing with those guys Dale just that they reflect a ex-WWE/WCW/ECW statement which is something TNA should move away from instead of being a bad cover version they should come up with their own material.
Why should it matter what company they used to work for? Just like the age deal, if they have something to offer the company then that's all that should matter.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Why should it matter what company they used to work for? Just like the age deal, if they have something to offer the company then that's all that should matter.

Because its the image thing. TNA need to say they are at the fore front of cutting edge new talent or fresh matches and feuds. When the fans see the likes of Angle or Flair on the show they just think that those guys made it big in other promotions and will always be known as WWE or WCW guys. Then when you have someone who didn't make it such as Anderson or Morgan they see them as guys who weren't good enough to make it in the big leagues so why should they take them serous in TNA?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Thats pretty much the exact same thing Heyman said when TNA were trying to sign him, and it really strikes me as stupid and short sighted.

Sure, smarks always say "put over the young talent", but what if the young guys are plain trash and their old guys are better? Would you rather see Crimson than Bully Ray?

If a guy is entertaining, push them regardless of age. Mark Henry took like, 15 years to get truly over.

You know why Heyman said it? Because it would get them attention to the smark crowd, there isn't going to be enough casual fans interested in another wrestling show, but there are enough smarks to actually make a go with it for a different company, it is just up to them to cater to their wants, you can make a Crimson look like a fucking monster like Taz was in ECW, you can hide weakness and amplify the positives. It's not very hard, the smarks are the easiest people to work. I'm not saying, it's something I would watch, but I'm confident that it would work.

Weez

Reaction score

I disagree. It took the WWE 15 years to push the guy like the Top Monster Heel he was born to be. When they did, it was fucking money. I said it around the time Mae Young was giving birth to a hand. "Why in the fuck isn't this guy beating the shit out of everyone?"

I also don't think the Crimson/Bully Ray comparison is fair. Bubba Ray reinvented himself in the last few years and has turned into a beast. Good for him. He's not relying on his past to keep him over.

I'd rather watch Crimson than Sting in a Suit with a Soul Patch any day.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
People over 40 are still essential to keep around. TNA has done a better job recently of pushing younger talent. Aries is one that comes to mind. Sabin is getting featured more lately. Magnus is going to be on the top in a little bit. Roode was brilliant. Storm is good.

The over 40 guys they're using are still highly entertaining. Angle never disappoints and is a really good addition. Even Sting has his place. He shouldn't be in the ring, but I don't mind hearing his promos. Bully Ray is a brand new man now, and had he reinvented himself like this when he was in WWE it would have been money.

Its the people like Nash, Steiner, Nasty Boys, Ric Flair, ect. that were the old guys getting too much TV time but they've all left or been fired. What TNA really needs now is a big, and I mean BIG change in the back with booking, and creative. Then they could start to build up

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Aries isn't young, and it shouldn't matter what these guys can do to reinvent themselves. They are more expensive than a guy you can promote yourself from a young age and use them for alonger time. If I was running TNA, I would think saving money and bringing the company into the black would be a fucking priority, this is a business afterall. Go reinvent yourself somewhere else, I'll take the kid from OVW who I could mold into a star, there are also no egos and shit about characters with rookies, they are still marks and will do whatever you want them to. I would also think eliminating the political environment would also be a priority.

Someone asked me how I would fix TNA, tell old guys to fuck off and make money somewhere else, it's belt tightening time here. Give me a handful of kids and watch me rebuild with them for less money. Rinse,wash,repeat every five years. WWE can get them when they're old. I'm a small indy league, know your place, and try make a profit the best way you can.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Aries isn't young, and it shouldn't matter what these guys can do to reinvent themselves. They are more expensive than a guy you can promote yourself from a young age and use them for alonger time. If I was running TNA, I would think saving money and bringing the company into the black would be a fucking priority, this is a business afterall. Go reinvent yourself somewhere else, I'll take the kid from OVW who I could mold into a star, there are also no egos and shit about characters with rookies, they are still marks and will do whatever you want them to. I would also think eliminating the political environment would also be a priority.

Someone asked me how I would fix TNA, tell old guys to fuck off and make money somewhere else, it's belt tightening time here. Give me a handful of kids and watch me rebuild with them for less money. Rinse,wash,repeat every five years. WWE can get them when they're old. I'm a small indy league, know your place, and try make a profit the best way you can.

But they can compete, brother. :hogan:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
People over 40 are still essential to keep around. TNA has done a better job recently of pushing younger talent. Aries is one that comes to mind. Sabin is getting featured more lately. Magnus is going to be on the top in a little bit. Roode was brilliant. Storm is good.

The over 40 guys they're using are still highly entertaining. Angle never disappoints and is a really good addition. Even Sting has his place. He shouldn't be in the ring, but I don't mind hearing his promos. Bully Ray is a brand new man now, and had he reinvented himself like this when he was in WWE it would have been money.

Its the people like Nash, Steiner, Nasty Boys, Ric Flair, ect. that were the old guys getting too much TV time but they've all left or been fired. What TNA really needs now is a big, and I mean BIG change in the back with booking, and creative. Then they could start to build up

Most of this sounds fair, the main problem is more with the booking than the talent. Still think they have kept someone like Sting around too long, and Angle has been relied on too much to carry the company.

Last edited:

CGS

Reaction score

Telling all the old guys to fuck off is just as stupid as keeping a bunch of old guys on the roster and book the show right around everyone's role. Like others have said what if the young guys are pretty weak in every area? Are you gonna still push them to the moon while a good older guy who would get over with the fans and produce great matches just sits on the sidelines? Thats a horrible business move in itself.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Telling all the old guys to fuck off is just as stupid as keeping a bunch of old guys on the roster and book the show right around everyone's role. Like others have said what if the young guys are pretty weak in every area? Are you gonna still push them to the moon while a good older guy who would get over with the fans and produce great matches just sits on the sidelines? Thats a horrible business move in itself.

It is still up to the booker to hide those weak areas a guy might have and accentuate what they do right. Gabe Sapolsky did that shit with his limited rosters and turned a decent profit for ROH with nothing but young guys, everyone who boner'd for CM Punk, Joe, Arie...etc. Didn't realize how fucking green they were, they didn't wrestle matches with psychology, they just chained moves together and sold like shit. It doesn't take much to hide weakness of performers with gimmicks and shortcuts.

Also, THEY WORK CHEAP. I'm trying to turn a profit here, I don't need a veteran,

CGS

Reaction score
But what your suggesting wouldn't really push TNA any further at all from their current stage. If anything it makes them digress. Sure they wouldn't have the financial issues but without ANY big names they also lose that exposure and with a bunch of young guys they basically just become another Indy promotion for guys to use to get into the big leagues (Basically WWE and WWE alone with your idea). As a whole shunning out all the old guys hurts TNA in the long run.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Hiring all those big names haven't done anything for TNA's exposure, the ratings have been the same pretty much the whole SPike run, so saying these big names bring in people is just false. Spike TV is the main draw here, people know where it is and I doubt keeping big names will change anything. Why can't I just reboot the company and bring it in a new direction? The current format isn't working, all it does is bleed TNA of funds if anything.

Going younger is a viable option, because a wrestling alternative is what I'm offering, how the fuck am I supposed to be an alternative if I keep around familiar faces from a bigger company? It just makes me my show look second rate. But if I handpick new guys I can build from the ground up, it means this is the only place you can see these guys who are just going to hit their primes, not a bunch of fucks who are past it and don't really care about my product.

I find it odd, that a person suggesting making my own stars instead of using old guys is met with nitpicking.