TNA Financial Problems?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
That's because nobody wanted to watch Jarrett take out the entire main event with a chair. Honestly happened on the fist weekly PPV I ever watched.

Also, cared more about Johnny Cross. Who I think had one more match with the company after I started watching.

Not to mention the fact that Jarrett would beat everybody with a guitar. I thought Jerell Clarks 720 or whatever it was called was cool too. Amazing Red and Triple X were also the reason I shelled out money to watch TNA, certainly wasn't for Planet Jarrett.

But they weren't poised for stardom, and TNA was nothing mroe than a place for Jarrett to be a champion because the WWF didn't want nothing to do with him.

You can't say TNA has been a success, they signed Angle and Hardy when they were the hottest thing in wrestling and couldn't raise ratings or gain any recognition. Bad booking and awful management is to blame.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
A comapny that hasn't turned a profit since comeing to Spike is a money pit, production costs exceeding PPV buys makes it a money pit. A company that doesn't fire talent unless it's Scott Steiner makes them a money pit. The only reason TNA is still around these days is solely because of SpikeTV, which itself is having problems. Viacom is a quarter loss away from rebranding the channel, which makes TNA useless and Panda Energy looking for something else to use as a tax write-off. The place is run by morons and booked by morons.

Name one sucessful thing TNA has ever done.

TNA apologists are living in some fantasy world.

They were reported to have turned a profit around 2009 time.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
They were reported to have turned a profit around 2009 time.

You are right about 2009. Found a quote from Mick Foley from an interview in 2011 about TNA's profitability;

Josh Stewart of ESPN recently interviewed Mick Foley, here are some highlights from the interview:
Foley on TNA's profitability: "I was never close enough to know anything more than you guys in the media would know. I do think they had a really profitable year in 2009, and then I heard they may have overspent. But Bob Carter said something very prophetic to Dusty Rhodes when I asked Dusty about the status of the company. He said, 'Until I close the doors, it's not a loss, it's an investment.' So, I'm glad they're around, I really wish them the very best, it was a very good place for me to go for a few years. I didn't see eye-to-eye with them on a lot of things, but I certainly enjoyed most of my time there."

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Putting money into worthless things does not make that money "an investment".

I could put my savings into a start up who make underwater hairdryers, that would not be an investment. Putting money in a wrestling company who are bush league in every way is not an investment.

Ryan

Reaction score
I agree with everyone saying they need to cut veterans. In the 90s, before the Attitude Era, WWE was losing money hand over fist and they released big names like Bret Hart and started pushing younger guys like The Rock and Austin and even Foley who had never gotten serious exposure elsewhere and look at what happened. Who are the names that come to mind when you mention wrestling? The Rock and Austin, among others of course. TNA can build something if they let go of the past or they can go the way of WCW when they just wouldn't let the nWo die and fold.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I agree with everyone saying they need to cut veterans. In the 90s, before the Attitude Era, WWE was losing money hand over fist and they released big names like Bret Hart and started pushing younger guys like The Rock and Austin and even Foley who had never gotten serious exposure elsewhere and look at what happened. Who are the names that come to mind when you mention wrestling? The Rock and Austin, among others of course. TNA can build something if they let go of the past or they can go the way of WCW when they just wouldn't let the nWo die and fold.

Think they need to restrict the older guys is all, the likes of Angle, Christian and Sting at the time seemed like worth while signings I think those guys have made a difference in the companies profile, but the likes of Steiner, Flair and Nash did nothing for them.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I like how you say Bret Hart was released, funny how things are remembered, WWF basically fluked out with Austin, he was never going to be anything other than a good mechanic, and screwing Bret Hart was the biggest fluke of them all, this wasn't some sort of design to make Vince a heel, it was just shit he thought had to be done and it turned out to be the best thing for his company. That and HBK breaking his back, if he was still healthy and around after WM 14, whose to say his prima donna attitude wouldn't have put the breaks on ole Stone Cold and Rock(who Trips/HBK were not warm to at the time).

TNA needs some flukes, they also need to do an entire overhaul of their front office, creative team and agents. That company is lackdaisical in their work ethics, and TNA is used by most as a way to get a check because their boss is a mark. This industry needs a healthy TNA or any other newbie company, it's just better for business.

Ryan

Reaction score
Bret Hart was released. He signed a huge contract back in 96 but when WWE hit financial troubles, McMahon gave him the go ahead to look elsewhere and he did and WCW signed him. I mean, look, I'm not saying WWE were visionaries in their approach, their hand was forced, but they still had veteran talent they could've pushed.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Bret Hart was released. He signed a huge contract back in 96 but when WWE hit financial troubles, McMahon gave him the go ahead to look elsewhere and he did and WCW signed him. I mean, look, I'm not saying WWE were visionaries in their approach, their hand was forced, but they still had veteran talent they could've pushed.

Fair enough.

I just think you're expecting something from a company with a terrible track record on what you propose, I mean I've seen this type of "how to fix TNA" opinions since I've been online, hell I've wrote a few myself, but it just looks like they are always stuck in neutral and don't do anything to get their product out there for more people to tune in. They've constantly said they are climbing the mountain, but haven't had any buzz whatsoever, their product viewership hasn't increased and PPV buys are downright embarassing. This is a show is a car revving its tires but have the brakes on and just spinning their wheels, eventually the engine will bust.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Tell me how you would fix TNA as i'm intrigued and don't believe i've ever read any of your previous ones

CGS

Reaction score
Fair enough.

I just think you're expecting something from a company with a terrible track record on what you propose, I mean I've seen this type of "how to fix TNA" opinions since I've been online, hell I've wrote a few myself, but it just looks like they are always stuck in neutral and don't do anything to get their product out there for more people to tune in. They've constantly said they are climbing the mountain, but haven't had any buzz whatsoever, their product viewership hasn't increased and PPV buys are downright embarassing. This is a show is a car revving its tires but have the brakes on and just spinning their wheels, eventually the engine will bust.

Problem your forgetting though is that wrestling itself just isn't really a big thing anymore and for the casual fan you can get everything you need from WWE anyway. TNA have done a bunch of stuff to try and get their product out there in the last few years, Leaving the impact zone and go on the road, doing International shows, Extending to an extra hour, signing more and more huge WWE names and even making a stupid attempt to re-create the monday night wars. Just a case of nothing working, again due to wrestling not really being popular again, It's just much harder to appeal to the casual fan right about now.

Weez

Reaction score
Problem your forgetting though is that wrestling itself just isn't really a big thing anymore and for the casual fan you can get everything you need from WWE anyway. TNA have done a bunch of stuff to try and get their product out there in the last few years, Leaving the impact zone and go on the road, doing International shows, Extending to an extra hour, signing more and more huge WWE names and even making a stupid attempt to re-create the monday night wars. Just a case of nothing working, again due to wrestling not really being popular again, It's just much harder to appeal to the casual fan right about now.

Are you one of those TNA Apologists? TNA just started taking their show on the road this year. International exposure is great, as a supplement but it isn't doing shit for their main US market. They went 2 hours what? 5-6 years ago now? It clearly hasn't helped.

You can do everything in the world to try to promote a bag of shit, but it's still a bag of shit. Until they improve the product, they aren't going to be making a dent in the market. TNA is in PRIME territory being based in the South to move around the southeast and south and get their brand out there. But the product is still nonsensical garbage.

TNA has a LOT of talent in their stable, but they don't fucking use it because whoever is booking this shit is an idiot. No one gives a shit that the X division title has to be defended in Three Way dances (Is that still going on? It's been a couple months. Would be the longest, unbroken storyline in TNA history. Trufax.) No one gave a shit about the MEM the 1st time, let alone now. Aces and 8s? Awful.

I've watched a LOT of promotions in my life: WWF/E, WCW, NWA, Smoky Mountain, GWF, USWA, WCCW, etc etc, and I've NEVER seen as pisspoor booking as I've seen in TNA... Consistently. I know the TNA fans on the boards assume that I (and anyone else) who says shit about TNA is just hating, but it REALLY IS that damn bad.

I hope they really are bleeding out. Cut some costs, cut the roster and go back to doing what TNA can do really well: Put on great matches and let the fans they gain figure out who's getting pushed and what storylines to develop Television and PPVs around. Is this a hard concept?

:kofi:

CGS

Reaction score
I'm far from a TNA apologist. Hell Im barely a TNA fan :lol:

All I was saying is that TNA has made attempts to try and branch out. Have they gone about it the right way? In some cases yes, like moving on the road and trying to get a bit more international exposure. It's not like they just stick in the Impact zone when in the US. In other cases such as trying to recreate the money night wars and expanding show times it really hasn't helped them much, but at least they are trying

The biggest issue with TNA is just that by 09 or so they had basically become a WCW 2.0. Signing old WWE guys, pushing them to the moon while having the younger guys stool in the lower ranks and who was the guy booking it all? Oh yeah Vince fucking Russo. I'd agree they do need to fix the booking of things first though, Firing Russo was a good step towards that, Although Lagana isn't the best upgrade in the world. although i don't think the booking is THAT bad. or hasn't been that bad from what i've seen in the past year or so.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Tell me how you would fix TNA as i'm intrigued and don't believe i've ever read any of your previous ones

What would I do? Easy, anybody over 40. I'm going to cut your head off, hey I respect what you did for the business but gtfo, this is a young mans company from now on. They tried using familiar names, guess what it didn't work. Maybe it's time to actually make the company an actual alternative, showcase shit WWE isn't doing like more emphasis on weight classes, hire some nobodies to kill themselves in gimmick matches to pop the shows sporadically. Make the show as ADHD as possible, why? Because the hardcore wrestling fan seem to cater towards this, so why not just find that niche fan who boners for shit like DragonGate and think junior heavyweights were actual draws and think Lucha Libre doesn't look phony as fuck. Would it be a show I'd watch? Not really, but you actually offer an alternative to what the major leagues are doing, you will actually find yourself an audience.