TNA Blew Their Load to Quickly

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
TNA relies on the shock factor too often. Every single week they announce some huge match up or announce a mystery or returning superstar. TNA thinks they blow the fans' minds time and time again when they really aren't.

I can't speak for anyone else, but from my perspective I get sick and tired of Mike Tenay and Taz saying "Who is the mystery partner?" "What a shocker of a main event Hulk Hogan just announced!" "Who could Eric Bischoff be talking to on the phone!??"

A surprise here or there is cool, but back to back non-stop surprises just gets lame after awhile.

Yeah I agree, it's WCW all over again. At least back then it was exciting, but with them signing just about anybody, I'm not really impressed.

TDamien

Reaction score
I thought last night's show was great. I don't know why some people have a problem with putting PPV quality matches on their show.

Those saying RVD was slow... well that's bound to happen after you had a match with a big name guy not even an hour before hand.

And no... giving RVD the title was not crapping on AJ and Pope. It's a matter of status and RVD is a bigger name than both of those guys combined. He was one of the main reasons for ECW's success and was a huge draw in WWE.
Right now, not enough people know who AJ and Pope are. If RVD can draw more viewers, that will change! Though this argument can be made... for that reason, why didn't they give the title to Hardy instead?
My guess is because RVD hasn't been around for a couple years and for that reason, it will draw interest of those that liked him in WWE. It's just a guess.

For those who feel TNA needs to put more time into their originals... that time will come. It's because of the Hogan signing that TNA is now a main stream name.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Overall the show wasn't bad. But yeah I think its silly. I was okay with everything in the opening segment. Hogan putting all 3 guys over and asking Hardy & RVD just how bad do you want it. Booking Hardy vs. RVD, okay. I wouldn't say that was a blown thing because we've seen it before. But yeah give the fans RVD vs. Hardy as your main event at the end of the show to keep the viewers. And making it a #1 contenders match was fine too.

Where it became a problem was that they not only made the World Title match the same night they already had the title change. The Title match should have been for the PPV, and they could have had a fantastic build till then. Then yeah if RVD wins great. They basically did an angle that could have been booked long term in one night. And could have been ended on PPV where they could have possibly gotten there highest buy rate ever for a PPV. If TNA wants to know why they aren't gaining ground, this is a prime example as why.

Pretty much this.

I honestly was suprised that TNA decided to give the strap to RVD rather then Hardy. I mean yes I know that Jeff is doing through his whole legal situation and everything and I am all for RVD winning the TNA title. I love AJ and everything but his run lasted a bit to long imo and he should have dropped it to Pope at Lockdown tbh.

TNA really dropped the ball, they could have either had RVD/AJ, Jeff/AJ or RVD/Jeff/AJ at a PPV. Instead they went and gave us AJ/RVD and Jeff/RVD on free tv. I am all for a title changing hands on free TV and everything but the title match should have alteast been postponed until next week. TNA doesn't draw huge ratings but I dare argue that a RVD/AJ title match with a week to advertise and everything could have been not only good for a rating but also the quality of the match I think would have been much better. RVD looked extremelt sluggish like somebody (I think it was Enzo) said. I am not sure if that's due to him not caring as much as he used to or due to the fact that the number one contenders match was not even an hour earlier.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Yeah, I ranted to Mike (CTG) after the show was over on how they waisted two PPV quality matches...the night after a PPV. Even if they gave us Jeff/RVD on Impact, at least build up a damn feud for AJ and RVD. AJ didn't even have a promo (I don't believe. I missed a good 30 min of TNA). Seriously, TNA, sooner or later, you won't be able to book every single Impact like a PPV just to reach a 1.0 (I don't know the ratings yet). If TNA had an Impact like this and RAW was a last minute SD thrown together show and they still blew in ratings, TNA has major problems

Reaction score
It seems to me that TNA's booking staff live and thrive on a week to week basis with absolutely no long term planning or goals. They throw things against the wall to see what sticks at the slightest whim and honestly, that's not the way to run a wrestling promotion, especially one you want to grow and gain followers.

I'm a fan of RVD and even I think him winning the way he did was a mistake. Sure, it creates the belief that anything can happen, but when that attitude saccurates your entire booking strategy, something's rotten in the state of Denmark. It feels like a hollow victory because it's coming out of left field with absolutely no story whatsoever. Here comes the new guy (sure he's a veteran, but in terms of this company he's new), less than a month in the promotion and he becomes the new champion.

Like others have mentioned, it not only cheapens the last 2-3 months of building up Dinero as a main event draw, but it also cheapens the established champion Styles as a creditable title holder.

People may love the spontaneity of the show right now, but if Impact continues on this trend, their fans are going to get burned out quick.

TDamien

Reaction score
Like others have mentioned, it not only cheapens the last 2-3 months of building up Dinero as a main event draw, but it also cheapens the established champion Styles as a creditable title holder.

They are still building up those guys and it will take time. There's a reason why they had Flair buddy up with AJ. Now there's a reason why RVD is champion. Star status creates new stars. No star status... no advancement.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
I sure hope they end up still making something out of Pope. I bet back in February when he won the 5 Card Stud Tournament that they wanted him to win at Lockdown, however that was before Jeff and Van Dam were on full time in TNA. So I see it as basically they kicked him aside much like they always used to. It's not like I am complaining. I know I complained how they booked Jeff Hardy not being in the main event right away so I am not going to complain that Pope didn't get his time to shine, but I really think they need to make it up to Pope.

I see RVD vs. Hardy for the belt at the next PPV. Before the PPV AJ will get his rematch and Pope will screw him out of it setting up Pope vs. AJ in a side feud.

Reaction score
They are still building up those guys and it will take time. There's a reason why they had Flair buddy up with AJ. Now there's a reason why RVD is champion. Star status creates new stars. No star status... no advancement.

Maybe. Time will tell, at least with Dinero. As for Styles, since the guy has been with the promotion pretty much since day 1, he shouldn't be taking a backseat to anyone.

As I seem to remember, star status lead people like Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho to leave WCW. What happens when TNA's "stars of tomorrow" decide to leave the promotion because they feel tomorrow will never come as long as the company keeps bringing in flavor of the month wrestlers?

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
I thought last night's show was great. I don't know why some people have a problem with putting PPV quality matches on their show.

There is no problem with it per say. TV Ratings are important, but its just like when Jericho & Taker finally faced eachother one on one for the first time and they put it on free tv. This was a match fans dreamed of. As is RVD vs. AJ. This a match that you book for the first time on PPV. People will pay big bucks to see it, because its a dream match. Giving it away on free tv, basically devalues it in the future. If at the next PPV the match is RVD vs. AJ in a rematch its not going to draw the same strong buy rate it would have should it have been there first ever meeting. If it was a rematch the other way with the first match being on PPV and the rematch on free tv, that makes more sense buisness wise.

TDamien

Reaction score
Maybe. Time will tell, at least with Dinero. As for Styles, since the guy has been with the promotion pretty much since day 1, he shouldn't be taking a backseat to anyone.

As I seem to remember, star status lead people like Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho to leave WCW. What happens when TNA's "stars of tomorrow" decide to leave the promotion because they feel tomorrow will never come as long as the company keeps bringing in flavor of the month wrestlers?

OK but who were Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho before WCW? NOBODY!!!

I agree that WCW should have given those guys title shots but how long was it till WWE gave them the title?
Chris Jericho - 2 years
Chris Benoit - 4 years
Eddie Guerrero - 4 years

WWE was not instant success for any of them.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
Chris Beniot almost won the title in 2000 against The Rock. Him and Jericho got main event pushes their first few years. Instant success doesn't mean you HAVE to have won a title your first year in the company.

Hit N Run

Reaction score
I thought it was okay, I think what annoyed me more was the fanfare, especially when Dixie was led to the ring by Hogan, and then other wrestlers came out.

I mean, yeah its RVD, but he's been with TNA a month, surely that would have been the reaction after long hard drawn out battle of several matches between him and AJ.

xtremebadass

Reaction score
I thought it was okay, I think what annoyed me more was the fanfare, especially when Dixie was led to the ring by Hogan, and then other wrestlers came out.

I mean, yeah its RVD, but he's been with TNA a month, surely that would have been the reaction after long hard drawn out battle of several matches between him and AJ.

THIS. Did RVD really deserve the confetti? Hogan? Dixie? The TNA roster coming out and celebrating with him? No.

He is not a big superstar in TNA yet. He was never in TNA before. RVD has been there for not even two months. Where is the justification of this momentous celebration?

Was AJ's reign really that heel-ish that this win was a huge landmark to an end of a villainous heel reign? No.

Random title change from a not so great heel champion to a not so worthy challenger with a unnecessary celebration at the end just sounds really lame to me, which is what it was.

Reaction score
OK but who were Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho before WCW? NOBODY!!!

I agree that WCW should have given those guys title shots but how long was it till WWE gave them the title?
Chris Jericho - 2 years
Chris Benoit - 4 years
Eddie Guerrero - 4 years

WWE was not instant success for any of them.

I'm not talking about them being given title shots cause Benoit had a title around the time he left. How about just being made to feel wanted? If I were working at TNA right now who had been there since 2003-2004 and seen all of the "veteran" wrestlers they've brought in while I got pushed to the side, I'd be pretty depressed, disappointed and wishing to seek employment elsewhere.

Dixie Carter even implied they don't care at the "all hands meeting" they aired on tv - if you don't like where we're heading, too bad, quit because we're not even gonna listen to your complaints/concerns. I'm para-phrasing of course.