TNA Blew Their Load to Quickly

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xtremebadass

Reaction score
Look at it. Tonight on iMPACT! they put on two dream matches for fans Jeff Hardy vs. RVD and RVD vs. AJ Styles.

Does anyone else see a problem with that? Both matches were made the same night. No advertisement. No feud. No nothing. I really think they spoiled those two matches, two matches that most fans were looking forward to seeing down the road. They didn't just spoil one, the managed to spoil BOTH in ONE NIGHT.

I am still happy RVD won, it's sad it happened under those circumstances.

Reaction score
I'm watching this AJ/RVD match and man does it suck. Sorry to the AJ and RVD lovers, but this match is slow, boring and lackluster. AJ is trying his best, but RVD is slow, botchy and just a shell. Aww and now he's the champ? Bad business in the sense that they could have sold some PPVs, but somewhat smart since they knew Raw would be fairly soft with the travel problems. They'll get that 1.1 they've been looking for. I honestly would have put the belt on Hardy and had RVD face him again at a PPV.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
I'm watching this AJ/RVD match and man does it suck. Sorry to the AJ and RVD lovers, but this match is slow, boring and lackluster. AJ is trying his best, but RVD is slow, botchy and just a shell.

What did you expect? RVD isn't worth shit anymore. It's so obvious that he doesn't care, even in his walkup promo backstage, he was unenthusiastic as all getout. I'm pretty sure that the only reason they picked him over Jeff was because of his legal deal. Either way it was so dumb to take the title off AJ at this point. It was a crap on AJ and especially The Pope. I strongly disagree with this decision 1 day after LD. But like you said they'll get that 1 rating they want.

I predict Anderson is getting that title from RVD at Slammiversary in the King of the Mountain.

Reaction score
This just reeks bad of WCW. First two huge matches with no advertisement, then a title change that can only be defended as a way to boost ratings. RVD isn't a guy to carry a company, no matter how many internet fans think so. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get caught (yet again) by some cop with drugs on his person and taken to jail.

Reaction score
I was going to say exactly everything you said about it crapping on Pope and AJ but honestly, AJ sucks as champ, but it is almost burial of the Pope. Now I'm watching Swagger/Taker on Raw and it is smoking TNA's main event, and that's not even bias, it's just a better match.

Reaction score
I was going to say exactly everything you said about it crapping on Pope and AJ but honestly, AJ sucks as champ, but it is almost burial of the Pope. Now I'm watching Swagger/Taker on Raw and it is smoking TNA's main event, and that's not even bias, it's just a better match.

There really was no reason to not give the belt to Pope last night. Instead they give it away with no buildup, on free TV no less. Reminds me of when Hogan dropped the belt to Goldberg. Rather the build it up for PPV, they gave it away for free, losing millions of dollars in the process. Then again it's not surprising when you consider who's running the ship.

As for Swagger/Taker, there was no reason for Taker to go over clean. He doesn't need it considering he just fucking retired HBK. Have the match end in a DQ or something. Burying your world champion six days before a PPV makes no sense, and watch, Swagger will more then likely retain at the PPV (like Rey Rey's run back in 06).

btman

Reaction score
There really was no reason to not give the belt to Pope last night. Instead they give it away with no buildup, on free TV no less. Reminds me of when Hogan dropped the belt to Goldberg. Rather the build it up for PPV, they gave it away for free, losing millions of dollars in the process. Then again it's not surprising when you consider who's running the ship.

As for Swagger/Taker, there was no reason for Taker to go over clean. He doesn't need it considering he just fucking retired HBK. Have the match end in a DQ or something. Burying your world champion six days before a PPV makes no sense, and watch, Swagger will more then likely retain at the PPV (like Rey Rey's run back in 06).

I have to disagree with one thing. I'm GLAD it happened on free TV. Sure PPV's = Money. But until they get some actual fanbase, no fan who's been watching for a couple weeks is going to buy a PPV. TNA is going to keep giving
freebies on TV until they get up to a 2.0 at least, then start really pushing buildup towards PPV's.

Reaction score
I have to disagree with one thing. I'm GLAD it happened on free TV. Sure PPV's = Money. But until they get some actual fanbase, no fan who's been watching for a couple weeks is going to buy a PPV. TNA is going to keep giving
freebies on TV until they get up to a 2.0 at least, then start really pushing buildup towards PPV's.

I can see where you're coming from, but the problem with doing this is fans will end up questioning why they should buy a PPV since the world title changes hands on free TV. I know, the E does it, but they rarely do it. Sure they give away title matches a lot, but changes are different. I only bring this up because this is how in started in WCW, making a quick title change to try and bump the ratings for the following week. They ended up not being able to stop doing it. If that happens, then what's the point of buying anything at all, ya know?

Kizza

Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet, but if it's happened randomly, then TNA have done it obviously for the shock factor.

Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet, but if it's happened randomly, then TNA have done it obviously for the shock factor.

They had an unannounced number one contenders match with RVD winning at the end of the night. Would have been great if either match had been hyped. Hell they could have at least said AJ would be defending the belt, something to get the fucking word out there.

This Guy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Overall the show wasn't bad. But yeah I think its silly. I was okay with everything in the opening segment. Hogan putting all 3 guys over and asking Hardy & RVD just how bad do you want it. Booking Hardy vs. RVD, okay. I wouldn't say that was a blown thing because we've seen it before. But yeah give the fans RVD vs. Hardy as your main event at the end of the show to keep the viewers. And making it a #1 contenders match was fine too.

Where it became a problem was that they not only made the World Title match the same night they already had the title change. The Title match should have been for the PPV, and they could have had a fantastic build till then. Then yeah if RVD wins great. They basically did an angle that could have been booked long term in one night. And could have been ended on PPV where they could have possibly gotten there highest buy rate ever for a PPV. If TNA wants to know why they aren't gaining ground, this is a prime example as why.

seX-Power

Reaction score
Even as a big RVD fan, I have to question the booking here. Why they didn't choose Hardy is beyond me, and if there was some kind of legal issue there, why not give the title to the Pope last night?

But at least my GM Pool gets another huge boost.

Axis

Reaction score

If that's the logic that they're going with, then they should have built a feud between the two, built up RVD's title shot, and then advertised the match a few weeks in advanced.

However, that's obviously not the logic their going with, otherwise they would drop their PPV market until they built up a good enough fan base. Maybe if they put on quality television they wouldn't have a problem selling PPVs.

xtremebadass

Reaction score

TNA relies on the shock factor too often. Every single week they announce some huge match up or announce a mystery or returning superstar. TNA thinks they blow the fans' minds time and time again when they really aren't.

I can't speak for anyone else, but from my perspective I get sick and tired of Mike Tenay and Taz saying "Who is the mystery partner?" "What a shocker of a main event Hulk Hogan just announced!" "Who could Eric Bischoff be talking to on the phone!??"

A surprise here or there is cool, but back to back non-stop surprises just gets lame after awhile.