The Wing Kong Exchange (feat. Inferno)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Re: The Wing Kong Exchange

I have yet to see the Hunter so I will hold off on the review. I don't really want to be spoiled in anyway even though you don't ever really put spoilers in.

Nope, I didn't put in any spoilers but you should still check it out. It's all over the webs right now so you shouldn't have trouble finding a copy. The thing is, I may actually go see it in the theatre when it comes out because I love the way the film looks and feel it would translate well to a big screen.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I have not seen this one yet. Read the review and it looks like it is a pretty decent flick. Will probably check this one out soon now.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Castiel

Reaction score

The past two reviews were great dude, I'd never heard of either until now so thanks they definitely sound like ones I want to give a watch.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Predator 2

l_100403_9e607ce8.jpg

Los Angeles, 1997. As a heatwave grips the city and a gang war forces residents to flee in terror a new type of evil makes its presence felt. Killing cops and bad guys alike, nobody can stop this Predator. Nobody except Lt. Mike Harrigan, a burnt out, on the edge cop who will stop at nothing to take out this beast that's destroying his city.

P21.jpg

1990's Predator 2 is one of those films that suffers by comparison, as it's predecessor is one of the greatest sci-action films of all time. It also suffers from the loss of the original's biggest star, Arnold Schwarzenegger, who chose not to return due to "creative differences" in regards to the direction the sequel was set to take. The story goes that Arnold didn't think the creature would work well in a city environment, so he went off to make Terminator 2 instead. In all fairness, that was a good decision on his part but another was the very idea he felt was poor. Indeed, placing the Predator inside a city allowed for multiple action sequences and a claustrophobic feeling. It also allowed the sequel to be fresh and not just a complete rehash of the original. Like Die Hard 2, it couldn't possibly hope to measure up to its predecessor, but it does craft an effective follow up while also setting the seeds for a future spin-off franchise. It's also one hell of a kick ass action flick and one that never fails to entertain its audience.

P25.jpg

"Quit hanging around, we've got a review to do."

Directed by Stephen Hopkins (who also did the extremely underrated Judgement Night as well as a whole bunch of episodes of 24) and written by Jim and John Thomas (the duo who had previously written the original film) the sequel is not a continuation of the original. Rather it attempts to provide the audience with a new and unique story and for the most part it works very well. Sure the standard plot devices of the original are still there, but the Thomas brothers manage to jazz things up on several occasions. In particular, they are very good at writing dialogue with an edge as well as gripping action sequences. Their screenplay here is at least on par with their work on the first, which we all know is near perfect. The film suffers a little from the pacing standpoint, as its clear that Stephen Hopkins is no John McTiernan. That being said, he manages to keep things together and coherent for the most part and since the concept of the film basically directs itself its hard to notice any major flaws unless you're looking for them closely. Thankfully, Hopkins really does know how to direct his actors, and he gets a bunch of good one's here.

P22.jpg

"That's it Gibson, I'm done with yo' racist ass!"

Danny Glover is cast as the lead, Mike Harrigan, and really manages to convince me he's a bad ass action star. This is interesting because while he had previously starred in Lethal Weapon he definitely did not have the kind of edge with that character that he has here. He's particularly good when delivering juicy monologues about the city being a jungle and while waxing poetic about rooftops and birds. He also has one moment where he says "F*CK YOURSELF" in perhaps the funniest way I've ever heard it uttered. Joining Glover here are Ruben "I'm actually a pop singer" Blades, Maria Conchita Alonso (who is most famous in my mind for uttering the now classic "there's nothing funny about a dickless moron with a battery up his ass" line from The Running Man) and Bill Paxton, who completes the trifecta here by being the first actor killed by a Terminator (original), a Xenomorph (Aliens) and a Yautja (nerdy Fuji knows their name) here. If only he had been a bad guy in a Robocop movie we would have had to make a new category of greatness for him. The great big man Kevin Peter Hall also returns as said Yautja, and once again lends a lot to the character itself. It's hard to understand the scope of what he brought to the role but if you look at the stiffness of Yautja characters in the newer films perhaps you will see. There's just something organic about his movements in the costume that have not been replicated by anyone since.

P23.jpg

"Someone get Bolivia on the phone."

Another thing this film has going for it is the key role played by Gary "Cocaine" Busey. He's that typical slimy secret agent man character that's popular in action films, but he really brings his special talents to the part. There's one scene where he's talking about the Yautja being "on safari" and he busts out the "lions and tigers and bears oh my" line from The Wizard of Oz. That alone is enough to qualify him for best performance in the film but his eventual death scene just puts him over the top. I mean its enough that he gets sawed in half by a really nasty looking disc weapon but his upper body doesn't even fall to the floor with the lower half! How is that possible you ask? I have no idea but I'm going with the old MPAA chopping block as the answer. There's just no way such a glaring oversight could have been missed, though to be fair it also provides one of the funniest moments in the film. Some more unintentional hilarity is provided by Adam Baldwin, who happens to be the least talented of his famous family. Yes, there's nothing quite like watching him stumble and bumble through simple dialogue like "you'll ruin everything" or "they're gone, they're all dead" while stuffing popcorn in your face. Anyway, enough of the bad (there really isn't that much anyway) and on with the good, but first a little message from El Scorpio...

[video=youtube;Z2k-YgKYG-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2k-YgKYG-E&feature=related[/video]​

That's one of the all time great cocaine snorts in film history for sure and it caps off a great opening action sequence where everything gets blown to hell before our friend the Yautja annihilates these poor bastards. Later on there's more awesome action in a Penthouse shootout and one hell of a wild scene on a subway. In fact, I consider the subway sequence to be the best in the film, its very atmospheric and really well shot. Outside of that the slaughterhouse sequence is great as is the long and drawn out final battle between Glover and the Yautja that culminates in a nice epilogue. One other thing that this film does is include a quick shot of a Xenomorph (Alien) skull in the Predator's trophy case. Once this was noticed, fanboys everywhere started drooling over the prospects of an Alien vs. Predator project. Amazingly enough, one was released that was so good that it defies words. Sadly that was a comic book, and when they finally got around to making the film(s) they pretty much bit the big one and destroyed both franchises (for now). Finally, there's one more moment in this film that's worth the price of admission, that being the slaughter of King Willie in the alley. It's great enough with his awesome "there's no stopping what can't be stopped" dialogue but to top it off he gets his head cut off and STILL MANAGES TO SCREAM!!! If that's not reason enough for you to go check this film out now then I really don't know what is. So while it isn't the original its certainly got more than enough to offer action fans the world over.

P26.jpg

"STELLLLAAAAAAA........"

Predator 2 was shot on a budget of $35 million (mostly for Busey's cocaine I'm sure) and earned over $57 million at the box office. While that's good enough money, the film did not meet the lofty expectations of the studio executives and so the Predator series went into hibernation for a long while. The blame cannot lie on this film however, as it is certainly worthy of attention. It's got ample kills, some great characters (check out Morton Downey Jr's super annoying Tony Pope) and Danny Glover kicking all kinds of ass even though he's wearing a pair of pants that look like two burlap sacks sewn together. How else can I say it? Go watch Predator 2 now, you'll definitely thank me for it later. 7.5/10.

P24.jpg

"Predator on a Gargoyle > Man on a Ledge"

Castiel

Reaction score

I agree, Glover really proves just how badass he is in this. While Lethal Weapon was an action movie it was focused on Mel Gibson being a badass and Glover being somewhat of a wet blanket, but obviously that isn't the case based on this! And yes Gary Busey was perfect as always, it was awesome for the classic bad guy agent character to get a twist of craziness which could've only been brought by Mr. Cocaine himself! Predator sometimes gets unwarranted hated, I'm glad you liked it dude, I thought it was really fun as well.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

I agree, Glover really proves just how badass he is in this. While Lethal Weapon was an action movie it was focused on Mel Gibson being a badass and Glover being somewhat of a wet blanket, but obviously that isn't the case based on this! And yes Gary Busey was perfect as always, it was awesome for the classic bad guy agent character to get a twist of craziness which could've only been brought by Mr. Cocaine himself! Predator sometimes gets unwarranted hated, I'm glad you liked it dude, I thought it was really fun as well.

I think the best thing to do is not to compare it to the original, but yes, its a really fun movie. Glad you liked the review.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

I think the sequel failed not having Arnold back in it. If they would have brought Dutch back and had the Predators coming for revenge it would have been more profitable and I think that they would have made more films. I don't think this movie was bad per say but I think people were wanting Arnold over Glover.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

I think the sequel failed not having Arnold back in it. If they would have brought Dutch back and had the Predators coming for revenge it would have been more profitable and I think that they would have made more films. I don't think this movie was bad per say but I think people were wanting Arnold over Glover.

To be fair, Glover did a great job taking over the reins from Arnold. I don't know if it would have worked as well in the city setting with him. The original Predator comic book series followed Dutch's brother dealing with Predator's in the city and eventually Dutch got involved as well. That would have been one hell of an awesome movie, but I'm happy with the way Predator 2 turned out.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

To be fair, Glover did a great job taking over the reins from Arnold. I don't know if it would have worked as well in the city setting with him. The original Predator comic book series followed Dutch's brother dealing with Predator's in the city and eventually Dutch got involved as well. That would have been one hell of an awesome movie, but I'm happy with the way Predator 2 turned out.

yeah the comics were epic, but I still think it was not what people were expecting when the sequel trailers came out without Arnold. I mean Part 2 was good and all but it still was not what people were expecting and so I believe that turned people off from it.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

On some levels I prefer this movie over the original. Though they are both great in their own right, there is something about this one that sticks with me more so than the original. Danny Glover was just awesome and a total 180 from his character in the Lethal Weapon movie.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

The Way

TWPoster.jpg

A father heads overseas to recover the body of his estranged son who died while traveling the El camino de Santiago, also known as the Way of St. James. Once there, he decides to have his son cremated and make the journey himself, intending to spread his ashes at key points along the way. While travelling, he meets three other pilgrims and together they discover many things about themselves and their reasons for making the walk.

TW1.jpg

The Way, much like the Camino de Santiago itself, is an intensely personal experience that will leave each viewer with their own feelings upon its completion. Powerful, emotionally challenging, at times uncomfortable and at times hilarious, the film manages to toy with its viewers feelings quite easily. For a "road film" it is definitely different than most, though that too makes it not only unique but also enriching. While it may not be a movie designed for everyone, and certainly slow paced enough to turn off a lot of the cellphone generation, it is nevertheless something that will sit with you long after its over. You don't choose a life, you live one. That one line, which not only graces the poster but the film itself, is a perfect way to sum up the emotions that The Way brings forth. I've seen a great many films in my time, and few have left as lasting an impact as The Way has, which may be the greatest praise I can give it.

TW3.jpg

"Father and son in more ways than one."

Written and directed by Emilio Estevez, its clear that his intention was to craft a deeply personal film that pulls at the heartstrings of its viewers. Estevez succeeds admirably and really proves that he is a great American filmmaker. His previous efforts such as Men at Work (completely underrated comedy) and Bobby (excellent drama) notwithstanding, this may very well be the film that opens the eyes of many to the talent he truly possesses. He writes a very minimal script, preferring to let the story unfold slowly over the course of the film rather than shove exposition down our throats. At the same time he paces the film so properly that even moments of uncomfortable or awkward silence seem extremely important and meaningful. Sometimes the most beautiful things in the world are the most mundane, and Estevez understands this well. He chooses his shots carefully, never lingering on any one piece of scenery long enough to make it lose its appeal. He also deftly manages the extremely strong cast and really allows each of his actors to shine.

TW4.jpg

"Kindred spirits at the edge of the world."

Martin Sheen (Emilio's real life father in case you didn't notice the family resemblance) is cast as the lead character and turns in one of his greatest performances. This is no small feat considering his previous work in films such as Apocalypse Now, The Dead Zone and the television series The West Wing. Here he conveys a strong sense of emotional turmoil, physical and spiritual loss and an understated frustration. This character has some serious depth and Sheen is perfect for the role. There's a moment at the beginning where he identifies the body of his son (played by Estevez) and its quite moving to watch him subtly break down. He anchors the film well and watching his own emotional journey from beginning to end is both compelling and rewarding. He is joined by excellent character actors such as Deborah Kara Unger (as an abused woman), Yorick van Wageningen (as a Dutch stoner) and James Nesbitt (as an Irish author). Each play their parts well and add a lot to the proceedings. Another excellent performance comes from Antonio Gil, in a small but crucial role as Ishmael, a gypsy who's son steals Sheen's backpack. Ishmael provides the turning point in Sheen's journey and their conversation is among the best in the film.

TW5.jpg

"I thought this was supposed to be a journey on foot."

Outside of the obviously strong acting, the film is a technically excellent as well. The musical score is full of wonderfully unique tunes that highlight the journey these people are taking and the inclusion of the Alanis Morissette song "Thank U" was a particularly nice touch. While I'm not a huge fan of the song itself, it certainly fits well in the context of the scene its included in and actually made me appreciate it for once. The cinematography by Juan Miguel Azpiroz is superb and a real highlight to be sure. It's almost as if the film is one long advertisement for the road taken during the El Camino de Santiago and if that's the case then it certainly works. While watching it I got the impression that Estevez was attempting to not only make a personal film but also one that would be an intensely positive experience. It's just such an intentionally persuasive piece that I imagine many who view it think about how they could find a few months to take off and make the pilgrimage themselves. While I knew of El Camino de Santiago before watching The Way, I never understood the true significance of it. Now that I do I find myself wondering when I'll be able to find the time to walk it myself, which shows that Estevez's efforts were not wasted, at least on me.

TW6.jpg

"Overcome with grief"

The Way is a film that on the surface feels quite simple. It's only once you watch it closely and allow it to overtake you that you realize its so much more than that. I would use the term "quiet epic" to define it, as it has all the feel of a sweeping masterpiece with none of the Hollywood cliches that affect those films. There is no need for big budget special effects, over the top action sequences, or even romantic interludes here, the story and the journey are more than enough. It's my belief that Estevez was attempting to make a film that would allow each individual viewer to experience their own version of El Camino de Santiago, albeit from their comfortable seats at home or in a movie theatre as opposed to the cobblestone roads that populate the true path. At the end of it, we come to the realization that the journey was in fact more important than the destination, an important lesson for all of us to learn. There's a wonderful moment just before the credits where Sheen speaks to the ghost of his son (who has been following him on the journey) and says "I don't have anything left to bring back" to which Estevez replies simply, "yes you do". The memories of the trip itself, which will stick with him for the rest of his life, are what Sheen has to cherish, much like the memories we have of Sheen's journey will stick with us. So if you're up for a little soul searching and a little self discovery, you can look no further than The Way, a film that truly has something to offer everyone.

TW7.jpg

"Spiritual journey accomplished."

The Way has grossed just over $14 million at the box office which doesn't surprise me. It had a very limited theatrical release, most likely due to the desire to get stupidity like The Vow and Big Miracle into as many theatres as possible. That's sad, but not surprising, as films like this aren't meant for mass public consumption. They should be though, as perhaps if they were the world would be a much better place. Hey, I can dream can't I? Regardless of its monetary take or its popularity, The Way is a piece I believe you should all watch at least once in your lives, so I hope you take the time to seek it out. It just may be one of the greatest journey's you ever take...and you don't even have to leave the comfort of your own home to do it. 8.5/10.

TW2.jpg

"Goodbye."

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I looked at this film a couple of times and wasn't to sure about it. I might have to watch it now. Good review Fuji man.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

I looked at this film a couple of times and wasn't to sure about it. I might have to watch it now. Good review Fuji man.

Thanks man, being that your in your 30's I can imagine you'll definitely get something out of it. That's not to say younger people won't either mind you. It really is a great film.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Yeah it looks good. There also another film out with I believe its michael douglas where he is a cia guy with Topher Grace hunting down a killer who turns out to be him. Have you seen that one yet or heard of it. For the love of god I can't remember the name of it but it looked good.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Yeah it looks good. There also another film out with I believe its michael douglas where he is a cia guy with Topher Grace hunting down a killer who turns out to be him. Have you seen that one yet or heard of it. For the love of god I can't remember the name of it but it looked good.

That's The Double, and its Richard Gere with Grace, not Douglas. I haven't seen it yet but I have a copy of it. I'll try and get to it shortly.