The Wing Kong Exchange (feat. Inferno)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Re: The Wing Kong Exchange

Event Horizon. I totally forgot about that movie. You find the movies that I like and just review them. Great movie and good review.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Event Horizon. I totally forgot about that movie. You find the movies that I like and just review them. Great movie and good review.

Thanks buddy, that's my game. I couldn't believe I'd actually stuck to my guns and not watched it until the other day. It was definitely entertaining and now that I have the Blu Ray I'll probably be watching it again soon.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Thanks buddy, that's my game. I couldn't believe I'd actually stuck to my guns and not watched it until the other day. It was definitely entertaining and now that I have the Blu Ray I'll probably be watching it again soon.

Bastard. Ok you can watch. Just ship it to me in that little red envelope.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Bastard. Ok you can watch. Just ship it to me in that little red envelope.

No, I got it for free. I think my friend at the distributors threw it in when I ordered some other movies from him. Which ones you ask? Well one of them will be reviewed in here shortly.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

I know which ones. :)

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I know which ones. :)

Listen here smarty pants. Oh well looking forward to the reviews

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Cliffhanger

l_11456_0106582_14ba0419.jpg

After a horrible climbing accident takes the life of his friend's girlfriend, mountain ranger Gabe Walker takes a leave of absence. He returns a year later and quickly finds himself caught up in a rescue mission. Unfortunately for him, these individuals are not victims, they are thieves who lost three cases containing 100 million dollars during a mid-air heist. They plan to use a guide to lead them to the cases and then dispose of him, and Gabe will stop at nothing to see that their plan does not succeed.

CH1.jpg

Cliffhanger, released in 1993, is one of those action films that I can watch any time. It has a great combination of likeable heroes, dastardly villains, spectacular set pieces and thrilling moments. It's also blessed with a better than average story and a superb directorial effort. While its not always mentioned among star Sylvester Stallone's most well known pictures, it is nevertheless one that I'll always remember him for. Sometimes everything just sort of comes together and a great movie forms from the smallest of ideas, as was the case here. Coming out at a time when action films such as Terminator 2, Point Break and Hard Target were among the most popular at the cinema, Cliffhanger managed to create a somewhat unique environment and therefore stands out among the crowd. Is it the best action movie ever made? Nope, not even close, but its got a lot going for it and once it kicks into gear it doesn't let up until its conclusion, which is really all you can ask for out of an action film. Definitely one of Stallone's best, Cliffhanger will have you holding on tight while enjoying the roller coaster ride that it provides.

CH2.jpg

"Hey don't fa......never mind."

Directed by Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2) and written by Michael France (who would go on to write GoldenEye and the Thomas Jane Punisher film) along with Sylvester Stallone, Cliffhanger has something to offer even the most discerning action film fan. Harlin's direction is, for the most part, solid, and he manages to keep the film moving forward at a nice, brisk pace. He's also able to take time to step back and examine the interpersonal relationships between not only the heroes but also the villains, which is a welcome change from the standard action film. Too often characters in these movies end up as bland, cookie cutter types that don't really serve much purpose other than to kill or be killed. Harlin's direction, along with France and Stallone's screenplay, really serve to highlight the characters well. Even though some of them aren't on-screen for long, I know a little about each, and that serves to make them more important than they would be normally. The actors chosen to play the roles also manage to do excellent work and though this film is clearly a vehicle for Stallone, its nice to see some others getting an opportunity to shine as well.

CH3.jpg

"Run Sylvester Run"

Sylvester Stallone is his usual awesome self and here he brings some real pathos to his character courtesy of the exposition at the beginning. This is a man who is harbouring serious guilt issues, and for good reason too. It's nice to see Stallone stretch the acting muscles because the man has always been underrated when it comes to his actual ability. He's not just a pack of muscles, he's got a heart as well, and it shows here. He's paired well with Michael Rooker, another great actor who never really seems to get his due. They work great together, and also with Ralph Waite, as kindly old pilot Frank and Janine Turner as Stallone's love interest, Jessie. I really enjoyed the scene between Stallone and Rooker where they bring up the past incident and Rooker loses it on Stallone, as he should. I've always liked Rooker but I gained a new respect for his acting ability after watching this film. Fuji Favourite Max Perlich also pops up as a base jumper which automatically gives the film an extra half point because I love the guy. The villains are all quite good, particularly Leon and Caroline Goodall, but two of them manage to steal the thunder from the rest in each and every scene.

CH4.jpg

"Third Rock from the Sun my ass."

John Lithgow is not like Stallone and Rooker. The man is legitimately lauded for his acting talents and for good reason, he totally owns. The guy can make any character a good one, regardless of its limitations, so when he gets a chance to play a strong one he's that much better. The character of Eric Qualen is one of the great action villains, and that's mostly due to Lithgow's dynamic portrayal. He is instantly convincing and completely charismatic, so much so that I actually found myself rooting for him from time to time. Of course he's utterly despicable, but also quite intelligent, which makes him a perfect antagonist for Stallone and Rooker. Along with Lithgow, Rex Linn is dynamite as Agent Travers. Most people know Linn from his extended run on CSI: Miami, but trust me, the man is so much more than that simple policeman character. Travers is deplorable scum and you can't wait to see him get his comeuppance, but at the same time you can't help but enjoy his constant uttering of thewords "Goddamn it!" or "F*ck". In fact, Linn says them in such funny ways that I wanted to find a clip to share with you. Well guess what, someone must have been thinking the same as me, because here is EVERY occurrence of him saying them in the entire film!

[video=youtube;FbiontrNGQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbiontrNGQk&feature=player_embedded#![/video]​

That is just awesome, as is Linn, and I'd highly recommend watching the film for him and Lithgow alone. However, its also the action that brings out the fans, and this film has plenty. There's an awesome fight in a cave between Stallone and Leon, a nice base jumping sequence, a shootout on an airplane, a mid-air money heist that goes awry, a sweet bridge explosion and so much more. In fact, I'm amazed that Harlin found time to tell the story between all of that stuff, but remarkably he did. Ultimately, the film is about redemption and forgiveness. Even though its purely an action piece, its nice to see that those themes were covered so well and capped off at the end. Sometimes the action film can also be used to tell a subtle story like that and this is certainly one of those times. While most people will view it as just mindless entertainment, there really is a little depth here, which definitely makes it better than many of its contemporaries. Cliffhanger wouldn't be your standard Best Picture fare, that much is certain, but its capability to entertain is near limitless and it does offer a little more than just boom, bang, biff, pow and any other words used in the old Batman show's fight sequences!

CH6.jpg

"Just do it woman, its better than listening to you nag!"

Cliffhanger was shot on a budget of $65 million and ended up grossing over $255 million at the box office, good enough for tenth overall for 1993. In a year with Jurassic Park, The Fugitive and The Firm all being released, those are solid numbers. I'm also glad the studio decided not to go ahead and do a sequel, as I can't imagine it being any good. The film has a self-contained story and as such should only have ever been a one-shot deal. Luckily it was and we have it to watch over and over again, especially in nice, shiny Blu Ray. A quick point to that, I'd like to thank Troy for recommending I buy this because it was definitely worth it. I'll never doubt you buddy, not that I ever did before but still. Anyhow, Cliffhanger is certainly worth checking out if you haven't seen it before, so I'd advise you to do so immediately. 8/10.

CH5.jpg

"Next time, another plane crash leads to a simple plan."

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Cliffhanger is great, in fact just watched it recently too. Lithgow is so great as a bad guy. Stallone did well with this moral crisis from letting the chick fall and cant face what is happening to come back and make the save was great. I loved when he put the gps tracker ont he bunny and made the snowman with the money on fire. Great review.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it. Definitely a great action film.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

A Simple Plan

l_43119_0120324_cde17b56.jpg

Two brothers and a friend find $4 million in the cockpit of a downed plane. The pilot is dead. No one is looking for the money. To keep it, all they have to do is wait. Unfortunately for them, events begin to spiral out of their control, they soon learn that they can't trust each other and even worse, cops start showing up asking questions about the plane. The plan sounded simple enough, but they will soon find out that nothing is as simple as it seems.

ASP1.jpg

A Simple Plan, released in 1998, is an excellent example of a slow burn film done properly. With top notch acting, a great story and some truly chilling observations about people's greed, it is a poignant piece that deserves a wider audience. While the director had not previously been known for showing restraint in his films, it really comes through here and the end result is a modern classic. Sometimes less is more, and many young filmmakers would do well to remember that. You don't always need explosions, special effects or violence to make a film work, a well told story can be just as effective. Perhaps the most chilling thing about this film is how ultimately realistic the scenario presented in it is. It's an unfortunate truth that the basic element of greed plays a major part in the decision making process for most people in this day and age. A Simple Plan shows us that of all the deadly sins, greed can be the most destructive, a lesson that many of us would do well to learn.

ASP6.jpg

"Never a good sign."

Directed by Sam Raimi (who was previously known for over the top horror films such as The Evil Dead) and written by Scott B. Smith, who adapted his own novel, A Simple Plan is just that, simple, yet that also makes it highly effective. Raimi's pacing is extremely deliberate, turning the film into an almost sterile experience while still allowing all the facets of it to be explored. His usage of lighting and the decision to shoot the film in a mostly white environment reminds me of the film Fargo, and indeed some of the major themes here are akin to that one as well. Smith's screenplay is excellent, full of great dialogue and rich with diverse characters the seem to jump off the screen regardless of how mundane they appear on the surface. It also sticks very close to his source material and this is one of those rare films that is at least as good as the book was. Smith was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay which was well deserved to be sure. However, the story is only as good as the actors cast to tell it, and in this case none disappoint.

ASP3.jpg

"Game over man, its game over."

Bill Paxton is yet another of those completely underrated actors that always seems to fly under people's radar. Here he really brings a lot to the table in the lead and certainly anchors the film properly. He does the "man at odds with himself" thing very well and its a credit to his skills as an actor. Bridget Fonda has a nice turn as his wife, a woman who seems to be hiding dark intentions of her own beneath her friendly exterior. Brent Briscoe also lends some nice support as the third man who finds the money and has a great scene right before he meets his demise. However, the true standout here is Billy Bob Thornton (in an Oscar-nominated role) as Paxton's slightly handicapped brother Jacob. Quite simply put, Thornton is the man you need to see this film for, as his subtly nuanced performance is brilliant. There is one scene in particular where he attempts to con Briscoe's character into changing his story that shows he's a lot smarter than he sometimes lets on. It initially seems out of place but by the end of it you realize just how desperate finding this money has made him, and how its changed him for the worse. I've long been a fan of Thornton's work and I consider this to be his single best performance as an actor, so again, its well worth seeking out if you're a fan of his and have yet to see it.

ASP2.jpg

"Just keep away from the yellow snow."

More than anything else, this is a film that shows Sam Raimi's true talents as a director. He easily weaves this complex morality play and shows the poise of a true professional. While I loved his previous forays into the horror genre, I often wondered if he was capable of rising above them and creating a truly great piece. Evidence that he was is overwhelming in the case of A Simple Plan and I'm very happy that its a film he chose to make. After seeing him flounder around with Spiderman 3 and the dreadful Drag Me To Hell, its nice to be able to remember that the man is capable of doing great things when given the chance. Along with him, cinematographer Alar Kivilo deserves a lot of the credit, as he creates a series of beautiful shot compositions like the one seen above. It's important to remember that since the film takes place in a winter setting, the scenery would need to be highlighted, and Kivilo's work makes this scenery a character unto itself. Clearly Raimi and Kivilo complemented each other well and though they have not worked together since I hope that they will again one day.

ASP4.jpg

"Can you believe I was boning Angelina Jolie when I looked like this?"

Even though it has the word "simple" in its title, A Simple Plan is anything but a simple film. Instead it challenges its viewers to act as casual observers and lets them pass their own judgements on the characters. It never attempts to sway your opinion of them either but rather paints its portraits and then says "you decide how to feel", which is very refreshing. While its sad to see the characters begin their inevitable dark descent, you never get the feeling that they are inherently bad people. In fact, though they may do evil and callous things due to their greed, they are still likeable, which is very unique. Raimi gives these characters ample time to develop and by the end of the film you will have some sort of judgement to pass on them, but again its completely left up to you to decide how to pass it. I believe that the best films are those that allow their audience to be reliable witnesses and to determine their own feelings about them at the end. Unfortunately there aren't many films like that these days, so its nice to have a gem like A Simple Plan to fall back on when you're craving intelligent and cerebral entertainment.

ASP7.jpg

"I hope Billy Bob didn't roofie my drink again."

A Simple Plan was shot on a budget of $17 million and earned just over $16 million at the box office, though to be fair, challenging films like this normally don't make a lot of money. Rather they rely on critical acclaim and word of mouth to get people to watch them, which is why I am praising it as highly as I am. It's not a film for everyone and sometimes it can seem like a daunting task to get through, but those that do will be greatly enriched for the experience and may just learn a little something about themselves as well. At the end of the day, its important to remember that we're all human and all subject to the same fears and desires that the characters in this film are. Perhaps its a metaphor on how we could choose to live our lives instead of how we should choose to live them. Regardless, A Simple Plan is not simple, in fact, its overly complex, but then again so is life, and that's something all of us can understand. 8.5/10.

ASP5.jpg

"Think this is desolate? Wait until next time when we go to Tasmania."

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

Great review for a great movie. It just looked so good on Blu Ray. The story was one of Stallone's best movies, it just wasn't blow em up, kill em all kind of movie. He showed great acting range which isn't rare for him, but rare in the fact that he doesn't get to do it a lot. This is definitely one of his most underrated movies. The rest of what I would say you already covered with Rooker and Lithgow and the rest of the cast. The score is just right as well. It had its faults, but it was good enough the rest of the way around that they were overshadowed. And how does anyone not love Max Perlich? Of course, honestly, every time I see him in a movie I think of Yabbo from Gleaming The Cube. Loved him in that movie and pretty much everything he does.

I've watched it 4 times since getting it on Blu Ray.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

And how does anyone not love Max Perlich? Of course, honestly, every time I see him in a movie I think of Yabbo from Gleaming The Cube. Loved him in that movie and pretty much everything he does.

I've watched it 4 times since getting it on Blu Ray.

Yabbo is so awesome I think I might watch Gleaming the Cube this afternoon. Also because Christian Slater is dreamy. Thanks for the comments buddy and yeah, it looks amazing on Blu Ray.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

The Hunter

l_1703148_fbe7116e.jpg

A hunter is hired by a biotech company to go to Tasmania and follow up on two sightings of the Tasmanian Tiger. His orders are to recover tissue and organ samples and to report back once he has them, as the company is convinced the reports are reliable. He befriends the children of the woman he is lodging with, and helps reduce her dependency on medication, caused by her husband having been lost some eight months earlier in the same region that the hunter is searching. Soon he begins to think he's being followed and is alarmed to discover the woman's husband felt the same thing before he disappeared.

TH1.jpg

The Hunter is a very low key film, though that doesn't prevent it from becoming unique and compelling cinema. It tells an original and intriguing story that is multi-faceted in its depth. Certainly free of the standard Hollywood archetypes of the day, its an analytical piece that demands the attention of its viewer. What it provides in return is a stimulating character study and a simple yet touching tale of one man's emotional journey. While he may be a hunter, the real question is what he is truly hunting, an animal or something more, something personal? In the end it becomes a perfect escape for the viewer and also provides some food for thought. In a world populated with sequels and reboots, it is truly original and very rewarding. If there's anything else you could ask for out of a film, I'm not sure what it is.

TH3.jpg

"Wake up Willem, its time to hunt."

Directed by Daniel Nettheim and written by Alice Addison from an original screenplay by Wain Fimeri, the film is actually based on a novel by Julia Leigh, an acclaimed Australian novelist and filmmaker. Nettheim's pacing is beyond deliberate, but it really works with this film. Its meant to unfold over its runtime as opposed to just giving away all its secrets immediately. I'd love to read the novel on which it was based, as I can imagine it would be a very well-written piece. Even though there isn't a lot of dialogue, what's spoken is important and must be listened to carefully to understand the essence of the story. Nettheim understands this and so gives ample opportunity for the tale to develop gradually, which in turn gives the viewer enough time to soak it all in. His work here is excellent and though this is the first film he's made in over 10 years, its a sign that perhaps more great things are to come from him. However, even with the technical merits, this is a film driven by performance, and in that it has one of the best I've seen in recent memory.

TH4.jpg

"Maybe I can get Berenger before he gets me."

The Hunter is very much a one-man show, and thankfully that one man is Willem Dafoe. It is very much his film, as is to be expected, and to his credit he pulls off the role very well. Even though he doesn't say a whole lot one understands the level of depth to his character, which is conveyed easily enough through his subtle gestures and facial expressions. He spends a great deal of time in this film acting without speaking and he's one of the few who can pull it off properly. Frances O'Connor is good in support and she is also very attractive once she's awoken from her drug-induced slumber. She plays her role well and easily conveys the gamut of emotions she's going through without having to say a lot. Sam Neill is serviceable in a supporting role but doesn't get a lot of opportunity to shine while the two child actors, Morgana Davies and Finn Woodlock are both well cast in their small but important roles. However, as I say, its Dafoe's performance that holds the film together and allows it to rise above the mundane to become something both gripping and fascinating.

TH2.jpg

"The most beautiful places hold the darkest secrets."

Outside of Dafoe's powerhouse performance, the other star of this film is Tasmania itself, and the scenery it holds. It provides a thrilling and beautiful backdrop to the events taking place and is truly a breathtaking sight to behold. The cinematography from Robert Humphreys is excellent and this is indeed a film that is shot to perfection. His reliance on natural lighting and meticulous framing serves the film well and really allows it to transport the viewer to its locale. The soundtrack is fitting as well, consisting of nice minimal, ambient music that highlights the slow pace of the events occurring on screen. There's also an excellent usage of the song "I'm on Fire" by Bruce Springsteen which plays very well in its scene, almost like a music video. The lyrics of the song perfectly echo what's happening in the shot and I'd rather not give it away as the film has yet to be released in the US and I don't want to spoil it for anyone. If you like films that allow you the opportunity to think while looking at great scenery and listening to very laid back music, this is definitely the film for you.

TH5.jpg

"Hey little girl is your daddy home....."

There's a lot to love about this film, from the humorous elements such as Dafoe casually slamming a door in a child's face to another scene where he's joined by the two children in a bathtub and his hilarious facial expression upon realizing their mother may not take it so well. There's also a lot of touching moments between Dafoe and the children which leads you to believe that his character is looking for a lot more than just another animal. This is a man who wants to leave the life he's chosen for himself but is unable to do so until he closes off all his loose ends. The wonderful silence prevalent throughout is something that a lot of viewers may take for granted, but it allows us to truly examine the film for what it is, and that's something that not many films can claim. It ultimately succeeds because of Dafoe's performance and the lush setting the film takes place in, but that doesn't take anything away from the heart and soul it brings to the table as well. The Hunter may be slow and deliberate, guaranteeing not everyone will enjoy it, but those who give it a chance should find themselves happy they did so.

TH7.jpg

"Don't worry, its not a real Tasmanian Tiger, they're extinct you know."

The Hunter has not been released in the US yet so I don't have any box office information on it but I'm going to go out on a limb and say its not going to do huge business. It's just not the type of film that the American audiences are going to go out to see en masse. That's not a knock on them mind you, just an understanding of what appeals to them. However, that also doesn't mean you shouldn't do your best to check The Hunter out, because while it may be slow paced, it definitely has its merits. It may not be the best film I've seen, but Dafoe's performance ranks up there with his absolute finest and any fans of the man would do well to seek this film out simply for that reason. 7/10.

TH6.jpg

"Goodbye my friends, until we meet again."

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8

I have yet to see the Hunter so I will hold off on the review. I don't really want to be spoiled in anyway even though you don't ever really put spoilers in.