The Dark Knight Rises

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Imla

Banned
Reaction score
Batman was not a good movie . too dark . no good jokes . too long . nolan should make it like Avengers , awesome funny e.t.c.. It was okay not special .

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Zsasz has been featured in both Arkham games, and to be fair, the only reason people dont know who he is, is because he didnt get a big budget movie. They could have sold TDK on Two-Face(known mainly because of Batman Forever remember) and had Zsasz as the exact same character Joker played. Wouldnt have made a lick of difference to the audience who went in expecting Two-Face(just like Two-Face in TDK, nobody ever talks about how well he was potrayed). Wouldnt have to change the character at all, so it would have pleased the comic book geeks.

Which brings me to point #2. The comic book geeks are the reason these movies got made in the first place, if it wasnt for us sitting through the garbage of Howard the Duck, every Superman movie, and most importantly Blade & Spawn, superhero movies would have died off when Batman & Robin made it to home video. There is a reason they goto Comic Con. Then you have movies like Sin City, V for Vendetta, & Watchmen that acurately payed homage to the comic book, there has to be a reason they did that right?

Then there is the fact that Christian Bale has that monotone voice, I just cant buy any emotion from the guy, and his Bruce Wayne makes me think he wants to murder someone. Not the vibe the "most eligibile bachelor in Gotham" should be giving off. Keaton conveyed the playboy better than Bale(but not nearly as good as Val Kilmer). I just dont like Bale all that much, and honestly think Nolan should have went with Jake Gyllenhaal like he originally planned(just would have made some scenes in TDK really awkward).

Mr.Mayhem

Reaction score
Zsasz has been featured in both Arkham games, and to be fair, the only reason people dont know who he is, is because he didnt get a big budget movie. They could have sold TDK on Two-Face(known mainly because of Batman Forever remember) and had Zsasz as the exact same character Joker played. Wouldnt have made a lick of difference to the audience who went in expecting Two-Face(just like Two-Face in TDK, nobody ever talks about how well he was potrayed). Wouldnt have to change the character at all, so it would have pleased the comic book geeks.

Which brings me to point #2. The comic book geeks are the reason these movies got made in the first place, if it wasnt for us sitting through the garbage of Howard the Duck, every Superman movie, and most importantly Blade & Spawn, superhero movies would have died off when Batman & Robin made it to home video. There is a reason they goto Comic Con. Then you have movies like Sin City, V for Vendetta, & Watchmen that acurately payed homage to the comic book, there has to be a reason they did that right?

Then there is the fact that Christian Bale has that monotone voice, I just cant buy any emotion from the guy, and his Bruce Wayne makes me think he wants to murder someone. Not the vibe the "most eligibile bachelor in Gotham" should be giving off. Keaton conveyed the playboy better than Bale(but not nearly as good as Val Kilmer). I just dont like Bale all that much, and honestly think Nolan should have went with Jake Gyllenhaal like he originally planned(just would have made some sce
nes in TDK really awkward).

So you are saying that jake gyllenhaal would've played a better batman then Christian Bale !!!! Bale is an amazing actor , Gyllenhaal is noway near Bale . You are just being biased because your favourite character wasn't in batman or you are just trying to be a hipster and have a different opinion from masses .

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Have you ever seen Donnie Darko? one of the best movies I have ever seen. Sourcecode is another, both very original, and both Jake proved he has quite the range, unlike Christian Bale, whose Bruce Wayne reminded me way too much of American Psycho, and his monotone Batman voice is like a Monty Python running gag.

And having an opinion that varries from others make you hip these days? Back in my day is was listening to Heavy Metal, and having a car. I think you kids need to get out more.

AF.

Reaction score
Bale was pretty great as Bruce/Batman. You're literally the first person I've seen complain about Bale as Batman.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Bale is sufficient, but when you compare him to every other Batman, he cant even hold a candle to Adam West, and I can guarentee the only name that would always be worse is George Clooney.

And I find it kind of funny, amongst the comic book community, Bale is a joke. Everyone I talk to prefers Keaton. This forum is actually the first place I have ever seen someone defend him.

Reaction score
Critics have preferred Bale over Keaton too. Nolan's Batman films have been critically acclaimed and have been considered to be superior. :/

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Meh, I enjoy both the two Tim Burton films and all love all Three Nolan Films, what's the harm in it?

I collect the comic books and I liked the twist the Nolan films have, after seeing it last night, I can't decide on how I feel about the ending, in reality they set it up for a return with a new Batman in Robin o_o.

Tbh, only thing about the film which was perfect was Tom Hardy's version of Bane.

Mr.Mayhem

Reaction score
Have you ever seen Donnie Darko? one of the best movies I have ever seen. Sourcecode is another, both very original, and both Jake proved he has quite the range, unlike Christian Bale, whose Bruce Wayne reminded me way too much of American Psycho, and his monotone Batman voice is like a Monty Python running gag.

And having an opinion that varries from others make you hip these days? Back in my day is was listening to Heavy Metal, and having a car. I think you kids need to get out more.

Your hatred towards Christian bale is pointless . jake is a good actor but no way near bale . The way Bale transforms into the character he plays is amazing .
American phsyco , The Machinist , The Prestige , 3;10 to Yuma , The Fighter . Look all these (non batman) movies and see how he completely becomes the character he is potraying . Comparing Bale to some one like Jake Gyllenheel is ridiclious .

How the fuck does bruce wayne reminds you of american phsyco ???? lol . You are just a hater for no real reason . <_<

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Your hatred towards Christian bale is pointless . jake is a good actor but no way near bale . The way Bale transforms into the character he plays is amazing .
American phsyco , The Machinist , The Prestige , 3;10 to Yuma , The Fighter . Look all these (non batman) movies and see how he completely becomes the character he is potraying . Comparing Bale to some one like Jake Gyllenheel is ridiclious .

How the fuck does bruce wayne reminds you of american phsyco ???? lol . You are just a hater for no real reason . <_<

So, when are you going over to Japan to teach the kids English?

Anyways, both Jake and Christian are great actors in their own rights, both of whom have made iconic movies, or had iconic characters.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Again, just because I prefer one actor to another does not mean I hate them, I just do not enjoy them as much as someone else.

But what about Terminator Salvation? I noticed you didnt bring that movie up, and is a perfect example of the point I was trying to prove about Christian Bale. He showed no emotion as John Connor, and used his "Batman" voice the entire movie. That exact same monotone voice I had mentioned earlier, if he really got into his characters he would have researched the character more and known that Connor is always an emotional wreck, he has the weight of the entire human population on his back, instead he acted more like a machine than Arnie ever did.

And he looks creepy when Bruce Wayne is on screen, its just a vibe he gives off, it doesnt suit Bruce at all, its the kind of vibe I would expect someone like Ted Bundy to give off. It would be like casting Steve Buschemi as Comm. Gordon, I would get that same vibe from him in that role.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Bale is sufficient, but when you compare him to every other Batman, he cant even hold a candle to Adam West, and I can guarentee the only name that would always be worse is George Clooney.

And I find it kind of funny, amongst the comic book community, Bale is a joke. Everyone I talk to prefers Keaton. This forum is actually the first place I have ever seen someone defend him.

Where your point falls down is that the version of Batman which West played was in a completely different kind of Batman movie so while it worked on its own merits you can't really compare it with Bale's. Also are you saying that even Val Kilmer was a better Batman than Bale?

I liked Keaton as Batman but feel that the writing of those films just put him too much in the background.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
IDK, it was the 80s, you have to remember that.

Jack was a superb Joker, Ledger just licked his lips alot and taked in a whisper, Tom Hardy did that too, let's see him try keep that smile on an entire movie.I like both movies, but I'm not going to say Nolan did it better than Burton, mostly because I just think of the times they are in and put them in that perspective.

Burton had the innocence and greed of the 80s and Nolan has the cynicism and greed of the 2010s.

Can't agree with that Ledger was really sinster and had far more depth than Jack did as the Jorker, also I don't think Jorker is supposed to be a big tough guy, more a clever and slippery villian who plays mind games.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I am saying Val Kilmer is my favorite Bruce Wayne, his Batman fell a little short, but I completely bought him as Bruce. When I look at actors who have played the roles, only one did as good a job playing Batman & Bruce Wayne, and that was Keaton. The rest either work really well as Bruce, or really well as Batman, but not both. Or in the case of Clooney, he couldnt get either right.

And Bruce suffers from Multiple Personaity Disorder, Theres Zur-En Ar, a batshit crazy Batman in hobo rags, who talks to a FM radio. Matches Malone, Bruces Private Eye alter-ego, Batman(no explanation required), & Bruce, the millionaire playboy. All have to be played differently as all 4 have different natures & demenors.

I am shocked you knew there was a Adam West movie, very few people even realize that(making TDKR movie #8 for Batman), but the show was such a huge part of my childhood, and nearly everyone in my age group. It might be campy, corny, and seem budget in comparison to a movie made nearly 40 years later, but these were also made when comics had to be fun, any dark material in comics was left to the San Fransisco underground movement(such as any Robert Crumb books), and rarely seen the light of day. The show actually potrayed how Batman was in the comics at the time. And remembered he was a detective, which none of the more recent movies even play on, and the Nolan movies remind me more of James Bond, just with Bat-Gadgets from Lucius, instead of HMSS Gadgets from Q.

Finally, Batman should never have the majority of screen time, most of my favorite Batman stories revolve around the supporting cast trying their best, only for Batman to make the final save. He is a character that works best from the shadows, and blends best into the background of the stories. Everyone knows Batman will make his appearance, what we dont know right off the start of a comic, is who the villain really is. I would really like to see one of these 3 villain movies done right, "Someone is murdered with a green question mark near the body, following the clues, you find Ed Nigma who actually has a full alibi, and has been trying to turn over a new leaf, at the same time another murder occurs, with the same question mark, but this time Batman knows Ed is telling the truth, so he is forced to look for other clues, revealing animalistic attack marks, leading him to Man-Bat, Killer Croc, or even Penguin, after some searching on the Batcomputer, Bruce realizes that Penguin has been locked up in Arkham on constant survailance, Croc has not been seen within the city limits in over a year, and then goes after Kurt Langstrom for questioning, only to find out that the Man-Bat syrum has not even been replecated since their last encounter, leaving Bruce with no real leads, when a 3rd murder occurs, this time, same question mark, same wounds, but this time its a lead actor who is murdered, connecting the dots, the first victim was a casting agent, and the second was a producer, leading Batman right to the stories final Villain, CLAYFACE"