The Dark Knight Rises

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Oh damn, I forgot Spoiler... How could I forget Stephanie Brown, forgive me oh great one for forgetting her. Considering Spoiler was only really relevant in Wardrums to Warcrimes.

Then She becomes Batgirl. Jeez, what a waste of Cassandra Cain, Batgirl hasn't really been important since No Mansland, or there just about.

My sincerest apologises for not being an absolute comic book nerd. /endsarcasm

But saying Bane sucks in generals, is dumb, especially from someone stuck up Fat Comic Book guy's ass, Bane is to Batman to what Doomsday is to Superman and seeing as you read Marvel or even aware of a lot of majority of Marvel villains, you clearly are easy to please, seriously who thinks Marvels has any good villains or plots? Marvel is saved by Beast & Gambit alone.

Last edited:

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
You get mad at people for not knowing thier comics, and now you have a problem with someone that actually does, and apparently knows alot more than you do, but Im the stuck up asshole right? And Bane is a rip-off of Rhino, who can lose his powers, to think he is on par with Doomsday would be like saying Avalanche is equal to Apocalypse.

If you think Marvel has no good plots, you should see what Rick Remender has done for Uncanny X-Force, Venom, & The Secret Avengers, and soon to be Uncanny Avengers & Captain America. He is the best writter in the big 2 at the moment, with Jeff Lemire a close second. And if you want to point out that one company is better than another, you are looking at the wrong guy, as you would have a better chance of selling an indy only wrestling fan onto TNA & WWE. IDW & Image both are responsible for my favorite books every month with TMNT, The Crow, Spawn, Haunt, & The Walking Dead. Marvel & DC do not stand up to what the indies are capable of simply due to the creators owning the rights to thier stories, that doesnt make the stories any less apealing, just less violent & shocking.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
You get mad at people for not knowing thier comics, and now you have a problem with someone that actually does, and apparently knows alot more than you do, but Im the stuck up asshole right? And Bane is a rip-off of Rhino, who can lose his powers, to think he is on par with Doomsday would be like saying Avalanche is equal to Apocalypse.

I was being relatively sarcastic, considering Stephanie Brown skipped my mind, hense the mega sarcasm my reaction (seeing as Wardrums was my first proper graphic novel). Bane/Doomsday were both incredibly relevant to their respective superhero's comics, Bane - Knightfall & Doomsday - The Death of Superman. You hate Bane even though Rhino is way more gimmicky than Bane, Bane clearly has the tactical prowess over majority of Villains - ala the entire Knightfall arc, literally forcing Batman to clear up every single Villain, wearing B-Man down to the ground. Doomsday was smash and grab fist fight with Superman but both are equal match for their opponents.

If you think Marvel has no good plots, you should see what Rick Remender has done for Uncanny X-Force, Venom, & The Secret Avengers, and soon to be Uncanny Avengers & Captain America. He is the best writter in the big 2 at the moment, with Jeff Lemire a close second. And if you want to point out that one company is better than another, you are looking at the wrong guy, as you would have a better chance of selling an indy only wrestling fan onto TNA & WWE. IDW & Image both are responsible for my favorite books every month with TMNT, The Crow, Spawn, Haunt, & The Walking Dead. Marvel & DC do not stand up to what the indies are capable of simply due to the creators owning the rights to thier stories, that doesnt make the stories any less apealing, just less violent & shocking.

For every good Marvel plot, I've seen five or six worse, they drag out, they aren't excitable, it's like trying to say TNA 2010 was booked better than WWE 2011 as an example but as for IDW, didn't they go bust? Fuck it, but IDW hang onto their brilliant Transformers stuff and that's what I originally collected, Transformers comics.

Spawn I got something like 6 graphic novels, and I while I love it, I don't go out of my way to get another set of Spawn books.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Its just the stigma around having half assed goons get super powers, Imagine the venom syrum was given to a guy built like Brock Lesnar? I just dont get giving it to someone so lame in the beginning. They pulled it with Captain America, Hulk, and countless villains in both universes. When I look at Bane and only think of the Batman universe, I still see a watered down Killer Croc. The Dark Knight story that started the New52 was awesome, and thought the new Bane might have places to go with new found syrums, but if all it takes is throwing a batarang and cutting a tube its still going to be same ol' same ol'.

IDW is doing pretty well, TMNT, Crow, Transformers, & GI Joe all sell rather well at my lcbs, and I have been hearing good things about the new Ghostbusters story. As for Spawn, its one of those I have the first 75 issues from way back when, and read upto Al killing himself. When the 200th issue came out I decided to get back into it, and have been buying issues Im missing at conventions & sales as I come across them. If you ever get a chance look for the McFarlane/Millar Spawn & Batman crossover, it ties in with Millars TDK Returns & Strikes Back cannon(which has been getting placed into Morrisons stories, as Batman Inc. showed an upstart Mutant gang).

Same point about the plots could be said for DC, Rotworld is looking amazing, and the build up in Animal Man & Swamp Thing is some of the best writting in DC at the moment, but Night of the Owls was such a clusterfuck. Outside of the 5 Batman stories, Animal Man, & Swamp Thing, the only other DC I even care about reading are Deathstroke, Grifter, Suicide Squad, Red Hood & The Outlaws, & Voodoo.

Marvel has some good stories too, outside of the Remender books I mentioned, there is Wolverine And The X-Men, & Uncanny X-Men, Gambit(which is only issue #1, but looking promising), Scarlet Spider(Kaine Parker, a psychotic Spider-Man clone), and I am looking forward to The New X-Men(the first class in the present time), and Uncanny Avengers(a team of X-Men & Avengers). My friend was enjoying The Defenders, but its getting cancelled.

There is a reason I buy comics from a variety of publishers, all of them have something to offer, Dynamite has Red Sonja & Army of Darkness, Dark Horse has the very popular Conan books, but they all also have garbage that wouldnt interest me.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
The thing I found about Marvel, this is back when Transformers was Marvel, 1992 or something, around that time; was their attractiveness and storylines I remember reading was pretty much pony... The best Marvel storyline I read is where Grimlock becomes leader after Prime's death after the battle of Cyberton (vague remembrance, I need to check my Grimlock Best of) after that, seeing the lack of creavity of the majority of Marvel villains is terrible. Sure, Venom, Magneto and a few others are worthy but you mentioned earlier about Harvey Two Face, The Riddler, Joker, Clayface, Killer Croc already size up to Marvel's good stuff.

Night of Owls, from what I've heard is the Dollmaker is another interesting villain, albeit almost every Batman MO of being criminally insane but you talk about Bane being half-assed when he doesn't follow the typical Batman MO, he matches Batman in the mental side of everything and the venom was cool but dumb, Bane could clearly of been as tough if he was just Brock Lesnar tanked.

I have no idea what you'd call my Spawn collection because it's not a Graphic Novel Arc as like "Death of Superman" or "Knightfall" etc. etc. but it's like issue 1 to 6... Then issue 7 to 12, that kinda deal.

Back over to IDW, I can't see how they are independent, while they do some of the best stuff around, they have all the big 80s/90s cartoons in their writing archives.

Over here where I am, I don't have the pleasure of getting the comic books easily... I think Knightfall (ultimate edition) cost me close to $35 dollars, the comic books alone (Idea the latest Batman one) was $7 when I checked today, so I buy the shit which I know which will be well done.

But the point is, whenever I've picked up a Marvel comic, I've been sorely disappointed. Batman I always found incredibly interesting because of his premise compared to the "average superhero" lacking almost any form of Superpower but instead has other options. Transformers was pretty much shocking over Marvel, then when I picked up some of the IDW Transformers comics blew me away with their art & storylines. I just wished they continued that Beast Wars arc and picked up from where Megatron lands on Cybertron and battles Big Convoy.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
When it comes to comics, no matter how well you sell, or what licences you own, if you are not Marvel or DC you are Indy. That is the best way to explain it, The Walking Dead has outsold everything, but its an Image book.

Marvel had some really good storylines in the 90's, with Maximum Carnage, Age of Apocalypse/Legion Quest, and Onslaught, and admittedly I was more of a Marvel Zombie back in those days(I only bought Marvel books, and Spawn, because McFarlane was my favorite Spidey artist), around the time the Onslaught story ended was when I stopped reading until I found out about The Walking Dead(issue #48). I only recently started reading DC stories, starting with Crisis on Infinate Earths, Infinate Crisis, & Final Crisis, then moving on to the Batman: Black Hand through Batman: Battle for the Cowl, which got me reading Blackest Night. Thanks to my comic shop selling used graphics, I have been able to obtain The Dark Knight Returns & Strikes Back, Superman: Red Sons, Batman: Death in the Family, and Death of Superman, I am now looking for Funeral for a Friend.

Night of the Owls is about this secret society called the Court of Owls, that has had roots in Gotham since before Jonah Hex was running around. They resurrect all of their former assassins to attack the most notible names in Gotham(including Victor Friese, who has the luxury of having Jason Todd rescue him). You find out that Haly's Circus was a breeding ground for their assassins, and that Dick Grayson was intended to be a Talon(assassin), that his grandfather was a Talon, and that Bruce Wayne has a brother that is also a Talon. The big payoff was watching Batman suckerpunch Nightwing, and you later found out that was to unlodge something that was put in his tooth by the Court. Capullo's artwork is amazing, but thats the only possitive I found to that story. The Dollmaker was the first arc of Detective Comics in the New52, and in October they debut the new Joker(who has a Leatherface look to him), after Dollmaker removed the Jokers face in Detective #1.

About the Marvel villains, I bet if you found out a bit more about some of the B-Listers, you wouldnt have such a problem. Taskmaster & Arcade are a couple of my personal favorites, Taskmaster simply has an Idetic Memory(he can learn your combat style in seconds just by him fighting you), and Arcade is alot like if you combined Joker & Riddler, and uses games as death traps. Magneto is my favorite former villain, as the sympathy for him was made very clear, but now it seems like he & Xavier will be forced to team up to bring down the Pheonix powered Cyclops(he better hope that this does not induce the resurection of Onslaught), Jack O'Lantern has been overly amuzing in the latest Venom run, and gives Flash Thompson a unique arch-rival. Mr Sinister in Uncanny X-Men has been the best I have ever seen the character. Marvel's biggest problem is that thier best villains would probably never even see a movie, but I could say the same about DC, as Zsasz will probably only ever just be briefly shown in Batman Begins.

The only Transformers book I picked up was The Death of Optimus Prime, and that was because the cover was just a picture of the old metal Optimus toy. Basically Optimus retires, and reverts back to his Dax name. I am pretty sure the story is still running cannon to Generation 1. The story wound up leading into 2 new Transformers books, so I never continued after buying 5 Batman books, 4 X-Men books, and everything else, I just couldnt get into another multi-arch story.