The better wrestler, CM Punk or Stone Cold Steve Austin?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who is the better proffesional wrestler?

• Stone Cold Steve Austin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CM Punk.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Punk has been a botch machine the last year or so. in ring is closer than most of you are leading on

overall it's not close however. Austin >>> Punk

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Dolph'sZiggler said:
Punk has been a botch machine the last year or so. in ring is closer than most of you are leading on

overall it's not close however. Austin >>> Punk

Punk's always been abit sloppy in ring imo. A great psychologist but his execution has always been off. I agree about it being closer then what alot are saying here however.

Ghoshlad1989

Jobber
Reaction score
in terms of in ring ability technically punk is better but austin promos and ability to excite a crowd and evoke reaction makes austin better imo. im a rock mark and for me austin goes down as G.O.A.T

JC4Life37

The Showoff
Reaction score
Crayo said:
I think most people agree Punk is a better ring worker. It'd be easier to compare them both if they were in the same era. Stone Cold had louder crowds and a bigger audience to entertain. Some people say Punk wouldn't last in the AE, I think he would of relished it personally.

Austin's in ring work may have declined but his neck was... complete crap

Austin facials (cringe) were top notch. Re-watch SummerSlam '01 vs Angle

Punk would be great in AE, but comparing him to Austin is like comparing Sting to Undertaker

They are alike, but one is a legit bad a** and the other contrives himself to be

I am not dissing Punk, he's great... he can't beat the original, that's all

Asskicker

Champion
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have the balls to say what any other person who wants to say CM Punk but is just saying SCSA because everyone else is and afraid they are going to get made fun of. I choose CM Punk because I never watched much of Stone Cold and when I did, he didn't give the full spark that people watching him back then felt from him. As a person watching the company now, CM Punk gives me the spark.

Thewindyfan said:
I have the balls to say what any other person who wants to say CM Punk but is just saying SCSA because everyone else is and afraid they are going to get made fun of. I choose CM Punk because I never watched much of Stone Cold and when I did, he didn't give the full spark that people watching him back then felt from him. As a person watching the company now, CM Punk gives me the spark.

I still like SCSA I just think CM Punk ftw though thats the message I'm getting through if you cannot understand what I really mean.

I still think SCSA promos are awesome.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Great post there @[Thewindyfan], I like users who're honest and don't mind disagreeing with the minority. CM Punk is like the current Austin for newer fans I think. Those who missed Austins period, Rock's period, are kidding themselves by liking them over current stars.

Reactions: Pocket1

Pocket1

Jobber
Reaction score
I always disliked these type of threads. There's no point in comparing people who wrestled in different era's. Especially when " the business " has changed so much and is totally different from the AE.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Pocket said:
I always disliked these type of threads. There's no point in comparing people who wrestled in different era's. Especially when " the business " has changed so much and is totally different from the AE.

We can compare their talent. The ability to work a mic, wrestle and demand attention etc.

JC4Life37

The Showoff
Reaction score
This is why YouTube is so great

CM Punk isn't even at his best... not even close.

Watch RoH Punk or SES Punk, at least. Austin and Punk are really nothing alike

I love Punk/Austin's desire to change wrestling for the better. It remains to be seen whether Punk can do the same

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
JC4Life37 said:
This is why YouTube is so great

CM Punk isn't even at his best... not even close.

Watch RoH Punk or SES Punk, at least. Austin and Punk are really nothing alike

I love Punk/Austin's desire to change wrestling for the better. It remains to be seen whether Punk can do the same

The Ring Of Honor incarnation of Punk specifically his character from Death to Dishonor until he lost the title holds some similarity to Austin actually. Both are rebelling against the authority figures. Punk to take the world title with him to the WWE and Austin's general actions.

JC4Life37

The Showoff
Reaction score
My recollection of Austin is different from others, b/c I basically hated the AE

The Austin I enjoyed was 95-97 including ECW

In other words, Austin wasn't rebelling.... he was just extremely bitter and it showed

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Austin.

He was a ruthless badass, and great storyteller and seller. Punk is good too, but Austin was better.

Reaction score
To me, any evaluation on punk/austin is way too premature in the here and now. In all honesty I'm not too big a fan of the current wrestling product as a whole, currently. There are a few bright spots, and cm is absolutely one of them. He's solid in all factors (ring ability, promos, drawing heat/cheers when needed).. But time will tell if he's on Austin's level.

You've got to consider.. Punk is still somewhat new in the main event spot. Austin in a sense sparked the attitude era, and wwf's eventual stomping of the wcw brand. Punk isn't even in the same breath as Austin, now. Eventually he may be. But the thought of him being there in this time is ridiculous. There are few superstars rated as the best of all time (ric flair, shawn michaels, undertaker, bret hart, hulk hogan, the rock, etc) and Austin is among them. CM has many, many, years to come. It's not fair to compare them yet.

In ring ability- goes to Punk as his background/style is much more of a wrestling caliber. Austin was much more of a brawler, but could pull wrestling maneuvers out of his bag when needed (remember his fued with benoit?) But that stone cold stunner cold come out of nowhere, and I've never heard a pop like it use to get..

Promo work - New era might give it to punk.. But Austin wins in my book. Austin always ad-libbed his work.. Not saying punk doesn't as well.. But Austin's ability to be neutral over the years, and make you forget you were watching a scripted wrestling program was something to marvel at.

Would I be for a match between the two? The set-up is perfect. But.. It may be a few years late... Austin is my favorite wrestler of all time (trailed closely by hbk) but I know how he's limited to what he can do in the ring now... And honestly his whole "sheriff austin/half-stunnering people gimmick wore thin for me.

Reactions: TheNova and Crayo

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
SweetChinStunner said:
To me, any evaluation on punk/austin is way too premature in the here and now. In all honesty I'm not too big a fan of the current wrestling product as a whole, currently. There are a few bright spots, and cm is absolutely one of them. He's solid in all factors (ring ability, promos, drawing heat/cheers when needed).. But time will tell if he's on Austin's level.

You've got to consider.. Punk is still somewhat new in the main event spot. Austin in a sense sparked the attitude era, and wwf's eventual stomping of the wcw brand. Punk isn't even in the same breath as Austin, now. Eventually he may be. But the thought of him being there in this time is ridiculous. There are few superstars rated as the best of all time (ric flair, shawn michaels, undertaker, bret hart, hulk hogan, the rock, etc) and Austin is among them. CM has many, many, years to come. It's not fair to compare them yet.

In ring ability- goes to Punk as his background/style is much more of a wrestling caliber. Austin was much more of a brawler, but could pull wrestling maneuvers out of his bag when needed (remember his fued with benoit?) But that stone cold stunner cold come out of nowhere, and I've never heard a pop like it use to get..

Promo work - New era might give it to punk.. But Austin wins in my book. Austin always ad-libbed his work.. Not saying punk doesn't as well.. But Austin's ability to be neutral over the years, and make you forget you were watching a scripted wrestling program was something to marvel at.

Would I be for a match between the two? The set-up is perfect. But.. It may be a few years late... Austin is my favorite wrestler of all time (trailed closely by hbk) but I know how he's limited to what he can do in the ring now... And honestly his whole "sheriff austin/half-stunnering people gimmick wore thin for me.

Really good first post. Liked.