The 80's Rock, Bro! The Definitive Best Songs of the 80's WWEF Competition Series: 1980

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
The 80's were a pretty rad time to be alive. Or at least, so I'm told and so I've imagined. I was born in 1990, so what the fuck do I know?

We had the movies, the video games, the awesome fashion... but perhaps the most defining part of 80's pop culture, the one thing that sorta ties all of that together, is the music. Music played a big part of all of those mediums, and even to this day, nothing transports a person mentally to the 80's quite like the nostalgia of those drum machines, killer guitars, and oh-so-sweet synths.

Maybe you're into it for the sappy hair metal ballads. Or maybe you're a fan of new-wave. But whatever the case, I believe we can all agree that the 80s provided some sick tunes for all of us to enjoy. What nobody seems to be able to agree on, however, is just what song was THE best. Which is what brings us here today, ladies and gents. Within this thread, we shall definitively decide what the most timeless songs of the 80's were, beginning with the year that started it all: 1980 baybeeeeee. It will be a long, grueling process, but together, we shall decide the greatest songs of each year.

So here's how it will work. Each day, a different group of 3 songs shall be posted (and I will tag everyone who is participating). The 3 songs will be chosen from the top 96 songs of the given year according to the Billboard year-end charts. This may lead to the list not being as all-inclusive as we'd all like, but for our purposes here, it makes things as simple as possible. Otherwise, everyone would just go full hipster mode and pick some obscure song that no-one's ever heard of and stick with it to the end. The Billboard charts are the easiest way to make this thing as fair as possible. Anyway, you may pick your favorite song of each group of 3 and post it, and of course you may debate and discuss with the other members as well. Please just be sure to make it clear on what your final vote will be. The results shall be tallied, the OP (this one, right here!) will be updated, and the newest group shall be posted every day by me, probably about 8AM in, uh, Central time in America. Or whatever time that may be for you. Idk, the point is, you'll have about 24 hours to vote on each group, so that should be plenty of time for everyone. And of course, once all the opening round groups have been voted on, it'll be a single elimination, seeded bracket tournament with the top 32 songs (undecided at the moment whether that round will be 1v1 or 4-Ways).

Any questions? Suggestions? Comments? Feel free to post em all below! And without further ado, let's get this thing started!

Last edited:
Reactions: bullyballmm

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
1980 Qualifying Round: Match 1

white crow

The Serbian Butcher
Hotshot
Reaction score
Words are no tool to describe how awesome this song truly is

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Current Tally:
Call Me-1
Longer-0
She's Out of My Life-1

Good to have you aboard the 80's express, Soli! Hopefully you don't get up and leave before 1986, cuz this train ain't stoppin' til we get to 1990 ;) I'll go ahead and add you to the taglist.

Also, I've been debating as to whether or not to vote in this myself, and I've come to the conclusion that there's no reason I shouldn't. I was considering only voting to be a tiebreaker, but I feel like if it comes down to a tie, there's enough active people in this place that getting a breaker shouldn't be too hard. I will sit out this round, but I shall start voting on tomorrow's group.

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
@white crow if you want to compete, we are voting on the songs that Jeffry picks from the Billboard top 96 that year (Americanophile much @Jeffry Fucking Mason ? lol I kid I kid)

My vote is for Call Me, since I've never even heard the other 2 before today.

Also great way to set up this series, Jeff ?

Reactions: Jeffry Mason

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
*Looks Around*

No comment.

Do you think there should be wildcard round featuring the favourite song of members for that particular year (that don't appear on the Billboard top 96)? I think that could be good, because let's face it - pop, pop rock and techno will mainly feature in this competition series if we are just going off of the billboards...

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Do you think there should be wildcard round featuring the favourite song of members for that particular year (that don't appear on the Billboard top 96)? I think that could be good, because let's face it - pop, pop rock and techno will mainly feature in this competition series if we are just going off of the billboards...
:idk3:

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Make your own thread if you think this competition isn't well structured.

bullyballmm

babeball
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Making in a reply in which you don't say anything is still saying something. Inaction is a type of action and all that jazz

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
1980 Qualifying Round: Match 2

And with a final tally of 2 votes, "Call Me" by Blondie has qualified for round 2.

As for today... as much as I love Pink Floyd, I think it is only right to give my vote this round to Kenny Rogers. Kenny was such an amazing storyteller, and Coward is probably one of the best.

@baseballmm @Grievous II If y'all have any suggestions on how to make the list more all-inclusive without making this take even longer than the super long amount of time it's already gonna take, I'm all ears. But let me know soon before we get too deep into this thing.

Reactions: bullyballmm