Taking a chance with Mania

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Uncle Saucey

Reaction score
I'm for giving the young guys a push, I'm sick of the same crap. Time for these old bastards to set up the next round of Superstars and give them the rub they earned.....

CMS

Reaction score
My point is, not that WWE should go with the same wrestlers combinations they have gone in the past (altough Cena vs Orton and Edge vs HHH is something I would like) because like I have said, their roster is practically filled with young guys and it is axiomatic they get a big match at Mania.

The thing is, I can already see people start the campaign of Alberto del Rio having to main event Mania for Smackdown, and while Edge vs Del Rio not only seems likely but really cool, if that doesn't happen, it wouldnt be "WWE sucks, they just book everything so bad". It would be you know, normal, considering Del Rio hasn;t been with the company that long.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I just don't see how more over Del Rio can get...He literally gets mad heat whether on SD or RAW.

CMS

Reaction score
I actually disagree about that. He gets heat, but it's not mad heat or something to rival let's say Wade Barret's heat.

Reaction score
if cena vs cm punk happens at mania along with Taker Vs Del Rio. out of the youth wrestlers Morrison, Bryan, Ziggler are the best atm. But i dont see the 3 in the main event picture at all.

If Miz is out of the championship scene for mania i'll be very happy.

Reaction score
I just don't see how more over Del Rio can get...He literally gets mad heat whether on SD or RAW.

mate there is more to wrestling than just getting heat. you need to produce that heat into $$$$$, be very consiant with it and be able to perform a show for the crowd and of course do great matches. it's something that alot of the youth in WWE Lacks in.

To me del rio is over. but he isnt fully over. to be be fully over you need to be heights of Piper 80's or in this age Edge 2006/2007 era

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
^I'm saying with the heat he gets now, it's time for him to be put in main event level matches and see if he can draw. Piper didn't do it overnight and neiither did Edge.

@CMS Keep in Mind, they pulled the trigger with Barett by putting him with Cena. Hell, he has a PPV win over Cena. Del Rio hasn't been pushed that far yet.

CMS

Reaction score
Nobody is denying Del Rio's next step needs to be a main event feud. All I am saying is please, let's not start the campaign of Del Rio main eventing Mania (which by all means can happen and I for one would enjoy the feud) and if it not happens, backlashing on WWE for not doing it.

Montana

Reaction score
I see your point CMS. I do have to agree with that, and not many rookies main event Mania.... Brock Lesnar...Yokozuna...SID....I think that's about it. I do feel Del Rio is ready for it, when WWE wants to pull the trigger. I just feel Del Rio is more of a rounded character than guys like Swagger, Barrett, and even some peoples favorite the Miz. Hell even more so than Shaemus. He can talk, he can wrestle, and he's tough. Del Rio's time will come, one way or another.

Kaedon

Reaction score
I can't believe what I'm hearing, you've seen Del Rio for a cup of coffee and you're ready to shove him into the WM main event? That's a fucking joke. His feud with Rey was passable at best, and produced no memorable moments at all. No promo that will be remembered and sure as shit there were NO MATCHES that are main event quality. [video=youtube;opP0FUgdsIQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opP0FUgdsIQ[/video]

if this is "mad heat" what do you call the heat Wade Barrett gets? Or the heat Cena gets in a smark city? Is it a lot of boos for a newer guy? Yeah; but that doesn't mean DICK. This guy is years away from main eventing Mania. The fact that you all think he's ready to even main event Smackdown with say Edge is laughable.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
You mean the Rated "Bore" Superstar? I swear if it wasn't for Rhodes and Del Rio, I wouldn't watch Smackdown for shit.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Thing is, there has to be a time for a new guy to come in. Yeah, Del Rio, Sheamus, Miz, whoever may not be able to carry anything but why not them? The only guy who's shown he's any semblance of being a true WM main eventer are Cena and 'Taker.

Trips? 25 proved he doesn't have what it takes anymore.
Orton? 25 proved he didn't have it to begin with.
Punk? LMAO. Hasn't proven anything. This Cena feud might propel him to that status though, but I doubt it. He has room to move up at least.

The other "main eventers" will are on SD so they won't even have the chance, but they're not capable either.

So why waste a spot against Cena/Taker on those guys? There's gonna be a time when they won't have 75% of the "main eventers" and a guy who's been in a WM main event will already have that cred to be a real star. I've always thought that the battle royal format should inspire a more random winner anyway, since the winner wouldn't have to go over anyone.

At this point it's 1 step down for 5 steps up in the future. :/

Axis

Reaction score
Thing is, there has to be a time for a new guy to come in. Yeah, Del Rio, Sheamus, Miz, whoever may not be able to carry anything but why not them? The only guy who's shown he's any semblance of being a true WM main eventer are Cena and 'Taker.

Trips? 25 proved he doesn't have what it takes anymore.
Orton? 25 proved he didn't have it to begin with.
Punk? LMAO. Hasn't proven anything. This Cena feud might propel him to that status though, but I doubt it. He has room to move up at least.

The other "main eventers" will are on SD so they won't even have the chance, but they're not capable either.

So why waste a spot against Cena/Taker on those guys? There's gonna be a time when they won't have 75% of the "main eventers" and a guy who's been in a WM main event will already have that cred to be a real star. I've always thought that the battle royal format should inspire a more random winner anyway, since the winner wouldn't have to go over anyone.

At this point it's 1 step down for 5 steps up in the future. :/

If you don't think that a HHH main event this year would draw, then I don't know what to say. One poor main event doesn't mean somebody can never go again, especially if it was 2 years ago. If that's the case, they should have concluded in 2005 that JBL couldn't go again and Cena never could, in 2002 that Triple H and Jericho shouldn't main event again, and certainly after last year that Edge and Jericho shouldn't main event. I agree that a face Orton match would probably not deliver, but I do believe that Cena could carry him to a good face vs face match.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
HHH ME would produce a minor bump in a buyrate, but with a young guy in down the line, putting him in such a position wouldn't be worth it in the long run with the amount of money they could make 1, 3, 5 years from now on a younger guy.

Every one of your matches except Trips/Jericho weren't main events at 'Mania so I don't know what you're on about. And that match would have been better had HHH not been fresh from injury and Jericho been made to be stronger, Jericho was the young guy at that time anyway, which is what they should try to do now, only not repeating their mistakes to make sure he can never be a true main eventer like with Jericho.

They're losing a lot of money at this point, so trying to get better draws at this point should be an absolute priority, Like I said in the first post, it really doesn't matter right now who they put in since it's pretty much stagnant, but 5 years from now who will stop the bleeding and actually make WWE money and ensure they don't drop below 500,000 buys for 'Mania?

Axis

Reaction score
"Main event" hasn't meant "final match on the card" in like eight years, and to argue as much is intellectually dishonest and a blatant attempt at using a stringent definition solely to try to bolster your otherwise weak argument. The rest of your post is nice, but not at all relevant to what my post was about. You posted that Triple H "proved he doesn't have what it takes anymore," which I rightly pointed out is absolutely asinine and lacks any substantive argument besides one match, which nobody denies was an off-night. It is not as if he has not had a good match since then. I am not a huge Triple H fan by any means, but I'm not dense enough to say that he can't get it done in big-time matches anymore.