Something far more important than Nash and Booker...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
From F4W

Reports are the biggest non-WWE draw of the past five years in pro wrestling signs WWE deal

Mistico of CMLL, who led Arena Mexico to one of its biggest boom periods in history, was reported by Super Luchas magazine today as signing with WWE.

Mistico had been unhappy with CMLL of late. The promotion had fallen greatly in the last six months and was no longer catering to him as they had over the past five years. He had secret talks of late with both WWE and AAA. WWE had made plays for him in the past. Still, this is a risky move given his size, and that the WWE mentality is the belief Luchadores don't know how to work. On the flip side, WWE is more popular in Mexico than anywhere else, and they recognize Rey Mysterio won't be around forever and feel the need for someone in that role.

Mistico is one of the bigger drawing cards in pro wrestling history. Based on headlining the most shows that drew more than 10,000 fans, Mistico was the biggest drawing card in wrestling overall three different years, and in the last six years, he was always either first or tied for first among non-WWE performers, and is the only Luchador in history to win the Wrestling Observer's Wrestler of the Year Award, winning in 2006.

This is HUGE news. Mistico is the SHIT and the heir apparent to Mysterio. Good lord, sweet Jesus, let this happen @ Mania. Just seems the WWE is going with a global approach more now than ever with Sheamus, Barrett, Del Rio, Misterio and now Mistico being big focal points. Well presumably Mistico since they figure he the one to take Rey's spot.

Reaction score
Mistico has drawn more money than the two of them combined in the past 12 years and brings more of the WWE's largest constituency of viewers with him. Doesn't matter if he speaks english, he can get over on ability alone and I think it's part of the WWE's global plans moreso than to cater to American fans.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Not to mention, we have to deal with Khali and ADR's ring-announcer... that's plenty of non-English right there.

ahorrig

Reaction score
It will be refreshing to have a high-flyer other than rey, evan or morrison.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
This is the WWE that we're talking about here, Dragon wasn't able to make it on ability alone and he was a great wrestler.

Reaction score
If chinamen made up as large a portion of the WWE viewership as mexicans do, WWE would have tried harder with Ultimo. Mistico is far more popular than Ultimo ever was hands down.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
If chinamen made up as large a portion of the WWE viewership as mexicans do, WWE would have tried harder with Ultimo. Mistico is far more popular than Ultimo ever was hands down.

This is true. Didn't really take that into consideration.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
I guess this is pretty big seeing as how he's one of Mexicos top stars. But I dont know if he'll be all that special out here.. maybe when Mysterio retires he can take his spot.

Veritas

Reaction score
F4W reported that Mystico is being sent to FCW and that he needs to learn English.

I personally think his not speaking the language is going to be a major problem. I understand what you're saying about him being a major draw Enzo but I don't think that's going to be enough for him. He can speak Spanish and he can appeal to the Latino/Mexican demos but, it's still WWE, and he's going to have to be able to do that while, more importantly, also appealing to the WWE's primary audience - Americans. Especially if he wants to get any real shots at headlining or being a key player.

And even if he is able to appeal to Americans strictly on his wrestling ability, who's to say that appeal is going to translate to Vince? History has shown a TON of guys who've gotten over big with the audience but, for whatever reason, Vince doesn't see them as a star and they never get to their chance. Mystico's language barrier may or may not be a problem but, if Vince THINKS it's a problem then guess what - it'll be a problem.

If he can learn English well enough and do it quickly (he's a highly paid guy and there's going to be alot of pressure to get him onto the main roster), then yeah he's probably going to be given and chance and do well with it. But if he doesn't, I don't think he'll even be given the chance to get over to the level of, someday, replacing Mysterio.

If they truly want to replace Mysterio, I wonder if they'll take Mystico's hood? I know they can't use the name or the same mask, but I wonder if he'll get a new mask and similar gimmick or if he'll be the typical FCW Johnny Nobody?

Reaction score
He's keeping the mask. No doubt. He will probably keep the name too, it will probably be spelled terribly like Mystyko or something like that. He doesn't have to learn the language that well, Andre could barely speak it and he was the biggest world wide draw ever. Again, I dont think the E is looking strictly at the American core audience anymore, Khali is amazingly over in Punjab town, the E has a track record of having Canadian stars and now they are pushing Europeans in Barrett, Sheamus and have plans for Bastitwo. They don't have to be main event fixtures, just relevant enough for their ethnic groups to care and put money into the WWE coffers.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
This is a great thing for the WWE. Like previously stated the WWE really needs to find a replacement for Rey-Rey after he hangs 'em up in a few years. A huge portion (compared to other minorities) of the WWE's audience is the mexican market, and that's a major factor in why the WWE has pushed Rey so hard since his debut back in the summer of 2002. I also think that a potential Mistico/Rey feud can draw huge numbers south of the border. As far as I know Mistico is like the Hogan of Mexico. The WWE seems to be broadening their cultural horizons with Barrett Sheamus, Del Rio and now Mistico.

Montana

Reaction score
Huge signing, however there are no guarantee's his popularity will cross over with the american fans, or if creative will have anything for him. Look what happened to Kaval.