So was it a mistake to bring JR back

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
No question in my mind Jim Ross is the finest commentator in Wrestling history and he had a wonderful run of about twenty years from the time he started in Mid-South to about 2000 or 2001 as WWF lead annoncer, but facing facts his annonceing style had become dated, he did make too many mistakes and the once great broadcast team of him and the King by about 2003 had become stale. Now fans and critics a like pointed this out for years before WWE made the changes, and it did seem like Jim Ross with the exception of the odd appearence had stepped down from the booth for good.

For me they need to make Michael Cole the new Jim Ross or they need to find the new Jim Ross for real. I see this as a step backwards, sure the fans are happy now because he hasn't been doing it for awhile and is a legend, but as soon the novity factor wears off again, they will be calling for someone to fill his boots again. Also isn't this supposed to the start of a new era under HHH, it kind of feels like 1999 all over again to me.

What do you think.
Will J.R. roll back the years and earn his place as the voice of WWE
If not who would you like to see take his place and who do you see as the ideally broadcast team on raw.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Nobody was asking for anybody to take over for J.R ever. He is the best, and there will be no one better.

Cole has been more preoccupied putting himself over and burying certain talent to ever be an enjoyable commentator anymore. And look at their commentator roster so far, Josh Matthews is doing ok, but he isn't ready for primetime, who else, Todd Grisham? He's on the Todd Pettengill level of douchebaggery. Who else? That guy from Superstars?

There isn't anybody who can fill the shoes of J.R. Not until WWE start looking for someone who doesn't look like they are auditioning for Access Hollywood. Still nothing but a bunch of frosted tipped fgts right now.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Wow Deezy, I thought you would remember the great MATT STRIKER!! I have missed Striker since he got the boot for being too much of a fan boy ( it was probably because that prick Lawler got him off it). It's funny that Striker gets in trouble for being too much of a fan like saying I am marking out to Booker T's return to Smackdown or saying holy shit to Nash's return. But Lawler brings up Cena in about every match on Raw but he doesn't get heat. Striker was the man, his voice may get a little too annoying but the guy was so entertaining. He would bring back old school WWE information all the time and bring a few jokes in. Striker was top notch and on my all time list of great commentators with JR, JBL, Paul Heyman, Joey Styles, and hell he may be getting heat but Booker T is so funny also who could forget CM PUNK as commentator.

JR is the best hands down, Michael Cole couldn't hold a candle. I didn't mind Cole's heel turn until he got all arrogant and feuded with Lawler. He was so annoying and it got so out of hand. Cole isn't bad but still never will he ever be "the voice of the WWE".

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Matt Striker is a colour commentator. Same as JBL, Taz, Booker and Paul Heyman.

I was talking about the play by play man. I wish they would use Joey Styles, but they don't for some stupid reason. Because he doens't try to sell stories, but sell the in-ring action, because god forbid we can't look at the matches like an actual sport. This is why I loved WCWs commentary teams, they would put over the wrestlers, Bobby would crack jokes, Tony Schivone would ask strategy questions and Dusty would jumble to language trying to answer Tony.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Very good point, I forgot about play by play. But I think Striker would do well with the play by play, he actually knows the moves compared to Cole. Striker would call moves I had no idea bout. Styles is another guy that is amazing.

Seak

Reaction score
Saying JR made too many mistakes is ridiculous. The guy just came back after not calling full time for a long while. It takes time to get back into the swing of things. He's an amazing announcer, and right now they really need a good announcer. Cole is busy trying to get his character over so he's taking so much focus off of the action and King is playing a face when he really shines playing the heel side of the team. Striker is good, but sometimes he annoys me when he tries getting too smarky. Styles is one of my favorite announcers, but it's obvious WWE doesn't want him anywhere near an announce table. So right now bringing back a man who is still well known by fans, and considered by MANY to be the best voice of the WWE is a great decision.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
JR is WWE. Well he was fantastic in the NWA/WCW, most fans know him as the voice as WWE and he still has a classic style calling the matches. He does screw up from time to time but it's not that bad. Cole annoys the hell out of me but at least he's not Don West. Styles was excellent but I don't see a comeback and he seems happy doing what he does. Matthews has potential.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
For now I think that it is the right move. Until WWE can find someone to replace him then he should remain. Cole looked on track to do that but his heel gimmick became too much for just the announce booth and he hasn't returned to his previous announcing style. I like Matthews on Smackdown and think that he is long term prospect for WWE. I can't really think of another play-by-play announcer that WWE has used recently that has been very good other than Styles but he won't be back. Todd Grisham puts on a weird voice when commentating and is almost comical, when he is serious he is okay but too often he goes over the top. I don't know who commentates in FCW but maybe they should aim to train someone up through there and then Superstars.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Saying JR made too many mistakes is ridiculous. The guy just came back after not calling full time for a long while. It takes time to get back into the swing of things. He's an amazing announcer, and right now they really need a good announcer. Cole is busy trying to get his character over so he's taking so much focus off of the action and King is playing a face when he really shines playing the heel side of the team. Striker is good, but sometimes he annoys me when he tries getting too smarky. Styles is one of my favorite announcers, but it's obvious WWE doesn't want him anywhere near an announce table. So right now bringing back a man who is still well known by fans, and considered by MANY to be the best voice of the WWE is a great decision.

I was not talking about him now, I was talking about Ross in the past like when he got Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit confused at Backlash 2000, when you can make such a basic error as that you know things are starting to go downhill. And I just feel over the years his style has become too clitched and he has resorted too often to catch phases and shouting. He is still a decent commentator, but I just feel it is time to move on, nothing wrong with that, everyone has a sell by date. Ross still has a lot to offer elsewhere in WWE.

But lets just say that Lawler is the problem, so my question now is who would you have as JR's partner. The Ross/King duo has out stayed its welcome in 2011, it is time for Ross to get a new sidekick who should it be.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
If Lawler was the one to go then I wouldn't mind Striker being given a shot again. Or if Foley wants to put up with Vince screaming in his ear again then have Foley and JR calling RAW each week.

Lucky

Reaction score
Meh, people have been bitching that they need to bring back JR for about 2 years now. Now he's been back full-time for not even a full week yet and there's already people questioning whether bringing him back was smart again or not.

If it helps keep Cole's mouth shut, no, it was one hell of a move.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
JR used to be great yes. I've always thought that if they brought him back it should be temporary because he does mess up to much as the years have gotten on. Not to mention what happens if he gets an attack. They should stick someone else in the seat and stick with it If they don't beleive that man is already on their payroll higher someone else. I hear Tony Schiavone is working at an opposing radio station about 70 miles from me I'll go see if he needs a job or hell do a American Idol type show to replace JR have JR King Cole judge the damn thing.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
JR used to be great yes. I've always thought that if they brought him back it should be temporary because he does mess up to much as the years have gotten on. Not to mention what happens if he gets an attack. They should stick someone else in the seat and stick with it If they don't beleive that man is already on their payroll higher someone else. I hear Tony Schiavone is working at an opposing radio station about 70 miles from me I'll go see if he needs a job or hell do a American Idol type show to replace JR have JR King Cole judge the damn thing.

:D I would watch that.

Tonight on RAW it was bad with the three of them. Cole and Lawler were trying to talk over the top of the other, Cole directed insults at JR and JR tried to call the action but it didn't work with the three of them.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Meh, people have been bitching that they need to bring back JR for about 2 years now. Now he's been back full-time for not even a full week yet and there's already people questioning whether bringing him back was smart again or not.If it helps keep Cole's mouth shut, no, it was one hell of a move.

Yes Lucky, but I wasn't one of the people bitching for them to bring JR back, so there fore it makes sense that I should question if it is the right move.

Don't get why Cole was on Raw this week, I expected with Ross back, he would take over as lead annoncer once again, and that Cole would remain on SD. Agree with Troy that the three of them didn't work, a JR/Cole feud doesn't interest me.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
After a dodgy first week, the three man team has been much better the last two weeks. The most expendable of the three is Lawler, he has been dead weight for years, although I guess bouncing off Cole and JR he his weaknesses are more hidden, but they need to get rid of him.

Cole is fine when he is playing the outspoken/cocky heel, as long as he doesn't become over bearing, and him and Ross need to stop fighting over the smallest of things. Ross is still a good commentor, even if I still think he is past his best and WWE needs to be looking for fresh blood.