Smackdown's head writer job in jeopardy

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Nodq.com

- Many within WWE have speculated that Michael Hayes' role as the head writer of SmackDown is in jeopardy. His right hand man Chris DeJoseph was recently let go and the program has garnered dismal ratings since moving to Syfy.

In recent years, non-main event talent preferred SmackDown to RAW because there was more room for career growth. Currently, WWE's Friday night brand features veterans garnering most of the spotlight with only a few exceptions.

One WWE source said that while Hayes received much praise for pushing younger talent, his focus is generally on the veterans. Writers who have worked under him are the real reason young talent are showcased on SmackDown.
Smackdown is really just a week to week thing of a whole lot of just stuff going on and then the Kane/Edge feud. Show has really no direction which is depressing to see as that was the show that really helped pushed new main eventers and younger stars. So whatever change they got to make I'm all for.

Chuck Norris

Reaction score
Smackdown has been very dull as of late. The same exact things happen between Edge and Kane. Edge taunts Bearer to Kane, Kane tries to get him, and he fails. It's been happening for a month now.

Not to mention no fresh feuds are happening, with Mysterio and del Rio already being stale as shit. I'm telling you, if Punk was still around, it'd be ten times better.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
If Punk was on SmackDown!, they'd just be wasting him too like they've done for the last year. I guess they're fucking stupid and don't know what to do with him if they don't have a drug addict around for him to play off of. They probably wouldn't have the common sense to keep him on television either during an injury, unlike Raw. Punk is on the A show with the A talent now, thank God.

I hope Hayes gets fired.

Nitemare

Reaction score
Hayes hasn't had a fresh idea since Badstreet. Smackdown is going the same direction as Raw....straight down the toilet.

Honestly speaking, the whole "brand" thing needs to end. It restricts match ups and feuds. For example, I'd love to see Edge/Morrison or Orton/Del Rio or Shamus/Taker - just something different. You can only see Cena/Orton so many damned times....

Chuck Norris

Reaction score
You can only see Cena/Orton so many damned times....

And you can only fit a certain amount of people on one show until half of them are forced to be cut because there's simply no room.

Why do you think they made the brand extension in the first place? To make money, yeah, and because there was no way they could showcase every wrestler on one show, and that's still the reason they have them today.

Hiplopâ„¢

Reaction score
i wouldnt ever wish someone to lose their job around christmas, but if it helps smackdown, im fine with it.

Nitemare

Reaction score
ROFL @ hiplop

Chuck Norris, the Bloody one...they could cut the dead weight and axe the guys that no one gives three rat shits about in the first place and slim down the rosters and between two shows they COULD fit it all in, but its more about the money for Vinnie Mac...always has been. His ratings suffer but his bank account gets bigger. It is what it is.

SAL

Reaction score
If they end the brand thing, you'll get a few fresh feuds, sure, but you'll also have two shows being dominated by the same few big names. The point was to give more opportunities for guys to become big stars, and I think it's working in that regard. They move people from show to show often enough that we aren't really missing out on any dream feuds.

Nitemare

Reaction score
While you're right, I guess I'm just sick of the branding. It also pissed my 7 year old daughter off when we went to Raw and she didn't get to see Edge, lol.

Baller

Reaction score
How can they fire Hayes? Who isnt excited about Kofi vs Ziggler XXV. They need more talent over there, RAW's roster has way more people, and Smackdown has three feuds. World title feud, IC feud and a feud of two people in the main event but not in the world title match. Fucking stale already. Good riddance Hayes

Chuck Norris

Reaction score
ROFL @ hiplop

Chuck Norris, the Bloody one...they could cut the dead weight and axe the guys that no one gives three rat shits about in the first place and slim down the rosters and between two shows they COULD fit it all in, but its more about the money for Vinnie Mac...always has been. His ratings suffer but his bank account gets bigger. It is what it is.

The people "nobody gives a rat shit about" are the future of the company. I think they would want them to be pushed to their full potential.

The Nicker

Reaction score
I didn't read any of the comments above but can someone tell me something really noteable that Michael Hayes has done in his entire career?

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
ROFL @ hiplop

Two rosters mean less travel. Guys don't work like they used to when there was no split. Plus more guys get TV time.

As for the ratings, SD's viewership (not rating but total number of viewers) is on par with Nitro's when at the end of their run, and Raw's viewership has consistently been the highest since 01 (4.5 million when they used to average 4.8 back then).

As for Hayes, SD needs the change as I don't get the feeling he can just turn it on so to speak like the Raw writer (BG) does every time he feels like it. Don't get me wrong, Raw can have lazy booking/writing but they can crank it up at any time.

The Nicker

Reaction score
I think a lot of the bad ratings are the fact that it's on Syfy, and it's so late at night, and it's a taping. Honestly, it's an unfair disadvantage that McMahon can take of, but he doesn't want to do that. I can guarantee you that next weeks' live edition of WWE Smackdown is gonna' have a huge ratings increase. No one is gonna' waste their time watching wrestling on a Friday night unless they are younger than 14, or don't have a job and an active social life. ESPECIALLY when we already know the results.