Should WWE take a post-Wrestlemania break?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
People have been speculating about WWE benefiting from having an "off-season" for years, but I think there's more negatives than positives to it.

If they took a three month break, they would lose a lot of revenue (house shows, TV shows, ads, PPV gate and buy rate) in that time. I'm sure WWE wouldn't be willing to give that up. The positive is that the writers would have some time to cool off and prepare a more elaborate plan for how things happen the next nine months of shows when the guys return from 'off-season.' But even then, it happening after Wrestlemania? That seems about the worst time for a 'cool off period.' What about when Austin won his first WWF Title? Or turned heel? Or when Cena and Batista won their first belts? Or if Undertaker ever lost the streak? Or a number of other events.

I've also read that they would lose a lot of regular TV viewers because viewers are typically 'creatures of habit.' Not sure if this is the most persuasive reasoning, though. There have been other TV shows that have been put in a different time slot where ratings have taken a slight hit, but there's also shows that haven't. People also said that when Smackdown moved to the shitty Friday night time slot (supposed to be the worst night for all TV shows) in September 2005, that it was gonna be the death knell for their ratings, but as I recall, the ratings remained mostly the same. Nobody has even brought it up since then that it would be wise to move back to Thursday. (I have personally said it should move to Tuesday, but only because I want it to be live, and it never will on a regular basis unless it's on Tuesday, the day it's taped.)

I think at best, maybe they could limit their number of house shows week to week, or at least every now and then. In the 80's, there was a time when guys used to work nine shows a week (two house shows on Saturday and Sunday), where they would work a show in the afternoon and then fly to another town and work it that night. People eventually complained about being physically and mentally burned out and they reworked the schedule accordingly. Otherwise, I think it'll just have to be put down to being a tough business.

Mizfit

Jobber
Reaction score
I say no because if they wanted to do that, don't you think they would have started that a long time ago?

Anaxamander

Jobber
Reaction score
In two words: hell no.

Think about it for one second. You want WWE to take off may, June, and July. Aka, three months of the year where they don't have to compete with football. They dont have to compete with fall tv shows. The country is starved for original programming in the summer.

This is one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Yea if they were going to go on break it should be from like October until the beginning of January

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Anaxamander said:
In two words: hell no.

Think about it for one second. You want WWE to take off may, June, and July. Aka, three months of the year where they don't have to compete with football. They dont have to compete with fall tv shows. The country is starved for original programming in the summer.

This is one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while.

Yeah, start a flame war with your first post.

In theory that makes sense, but ratings and PPV buys are down in that span. mostly because of complete creative apathy. WWE knows it's a dead period for wrestling, look at the Over the Limit, No Way Out, MITB era last year. Never seen less interest in the product from either the fans or Creative.

Dolph's, avoiding the NFL is a great shout.

RoyalRaven

Fooqy Booqy Biggest Gamer Winner!
Banned
Reaction score
They won't stop, it means they'd make less money :p!

Jonathan

Champion
Reaction score
2012 MOTY was Undertaker vs Triple H at Mania, hands down.

And no, they shouldn't take a break. Post-Mania is some of the best stuff..

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Jonathan said:

And no, they shouldn't take a break. Post-Mania is some of the best stuff..

Bryan vs Punk was better, plus if you want a true match of the year you need to venture away from just the WWE.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Everyone could use a break including the fans, but in the end it'll not happen.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Jonathan said:

lol no. Boring spot fest that dragged on and had an obvious outcome. YAWNS ON YAWNS ON YAWNS

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
MOTY for WWE last year really depends on what you want.

Do you like chaos in your matches? Ryback and Hell No vs the Shield was MOTY
Do you like in-ring psychology and storytelling? Taker vs HHH was MOTY
Do you like great technical wrestling and don't care about story? Punk vs Bryan at OTL was MOTY
Do you like hardcore spotfests? Punk vs Jericho was MOTY
Do you like a match building to a big mark-out moment? Watch TNA :dawg:

Can't say Cena/Brock is the MOTY since it ruined both characters, even if it did have us marking our tits off until the finish.

Reactions: THG? and Crayo
Reaction score
Get rid of superstars, main event, and put back in place the brand split of Raw and SD which would hopefully make SD bearable!
Sick of seeing the same people fight 4 times a week