Should The IC & US Title Be Unified?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I disagree, one title is defended and the other has been jewelry. Get rid of one of them and then you actually have a division where the top five are guys who would be relatively over enough to have people give a shit about that title and the rest are guys you can switch around jockeying for position and hopefully make their way up the way it used to be.

10 guys going for a title and feuding their way there is better than 4-5 guys rotating title matches like it has been the past 2 years.

Reactions: Chris
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
The thing about one IC title and one US title if they kept both is they need to define the divisons.

WWEWHC - Orton, Cena, Batista, Brock, Trips, Taker, Rock, Punk, Bryan, Kane
IC - Langston, Sheamus, ADR, RVD, Jericho, Mysterio, Show, Henry, Reigns, Wyatt
US - Ambrose, Miz, Kofi, Fandango, Sandow, Wade, Dolph, Rollins, Sin Cara, Christian

I think all 3 belts can be sustainable with proper set divisions, but that they can't have two equivalent belts. Instead of unifying them, I'd be all for a show of champion vs champion with pride on the line, and then them just defining the divisions and who is chasing each belt.

The way I set it up sees the top of the card look like the top of a card, and is what the undisputed title needs for a year or so. The IC title is filled with former world champs thanks to the WHC debacle after edge retired, but it adds so much credibility at least when you used those fluffed resumes to put over Wyatt, reigns, and Langston vs those guys. The last division is youth filled, but it has 3 former world champs in Miz, Dolph, and Christian. That's what I would do, along with still keeping the tag division a focus

I man who are wee kidding? If one gets scrapped some Cruiserweight title will pop up, so just say fuck it and create a sustainable division

What would be wrong with a cruiser division? At least with that, guys like Rey, Hornswoggle, and Torrito could have believable matches. But joking aside: You can easily define a cruiser division. What would be the difference between the US and IC divisions? I personally would like to see the Hardcore division brought back minus the 24/7 rule.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Personally don't ever want to see the Hardcore division coming back. it was used for comedy which killed the gimmick, and ruined the finishes of the mainevernt.

WM2000 had a match where 32 guys hitting eachother in the head for 15 minutes, then that triangle ladder match, then Rock has to sell a charishot from Vince McMahon.....you gotta protect your mainevent.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
What would be wrong with a cruiser division? At least with that, guys like Rey, Hornswoggle, and Torrito could have believable matches. But joking aside: You can easily define a cruiser division. What would be the difference between the US and IC divisions? I personally would like to see the Hardcore division brought back minus the 24/7 rule.
The problem wi a cruiser division is that most fall out the weight limit. A TV title that's defended every week with a 10min time limit is acceptable as it include the lower tier guys

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
MEH! I still say two singles title, a tag title, and a women's title.

The guys that aren't competing for the two singles titles can make up the tag division and of course you're going to have your feuds that don't involve titles at all to keep some guys busy. The rest make up your jobbers.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
MEH! I still say two singles title, a tag title, and a women's title.
The guys that aren't competing for the two singles titles can make up the tag division and of course you're going to have your feuds that don't involve titles at all to keep some guys busy. The rest make up your jobbers.

This! Seriously fucking This!

We say belts don't mean shit, what do people suggest? Different belts.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I don't particularly want a different belt, hell I'd be happy with just the big 4 like when the power trip and bod were feuding. I'm just saying I doubt they retire the us title and don't replace it.

I would be perfectly fine with the WWEWHC, IC, Tag, Divas and NXT belts

I just got this sinking feeling that they will make some kind of belt and at least use it as the focus of Superstars, be it CWs or a basic tv like title which ecw had when it was relaunched.

Last edited:

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
You don't NEED divisions for the US/IC titles......

You have your obvious main event guys, who also have feuds that run deep outside of the title. If you want to keep Cena from getting a title shot every single month, you put him in a feud with Punk/Bryan/Batista/Orton away from the belt. Hell, you even interject those guys into the scenario I'm about to suggest...

You get rid of the US Championship, and just keep the IC Title, with the IC Title guaranteeing you a future WWE Championship match. You'll have guys fighting to be the #1 contender, and every once in a while, so many guys will think they deserve a shot at it, and you can have the two losers of a triple threat, or three losers of a fatal 4-way, enter into feuds with each other. This would be key if you have, say, Dolph, who you want to be IC Champ for a few months to get a WWE Championship match (does NOT have to win the WWE Championship match). He can luck out in a Fatal 4-Way as, say, Cena and Punk are too focused on each other and Dolph gets a cheap rollup win over whoever the other jabroni in the match is. Then you have Cena/Punk clearly entering into a feud with each other and Dolph gets to go on a fun little run for a few months.

If you REALLY want to make it interesting so that it isn't so easy for a guy to just get the IC Title and get a shot, maybe you can make it a stipulation that the IC Champion has to defend his title successfully on 3 consecutive PPV's (the obvious duration w/ a rematch clause and then 2 months focus on another contender while others are still trying to get their shot or work in the tag division).

The whole point of this is to redeem the midcard title, redeem the main event title, and force creative to come up with storylines (in the Punk/Cena scenario I mentioned above, for example) and everyone on the roster will have to step their game up. It will obviously introduce more focus on the tag division, and you have Mondays and Fridays* full of wrestling and guys getting ring-time in order to step forward. Having EVERYONE fighting for the IC Title is the way you make it worth something, and it automatically validates the WWE Championship in the process.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
One of the few good things Russo did when he was booker in the WWF was make sure everyone had an angle going. Jobbers had feuds with other jobbers on the C shows instead of just random matches, Boss Man was eating Al Snow's dog, etc. You don't need titles for guys to have feuds.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Thought this over and wouldn't mind a scenario where anyone who has won them can challenge for the titles alongside the two champions in the chamber. Miz, Kofi, Ambrose, Big E, Jericho, and RVD? I mean we all know they will likely be back so why not use their name value for the midcard titles importance.

Hell ideally I would do two chambers for each title and then unify them at mania, but they might want to break up the shield there.

My chamber matches if they were separate would be
Big E v RVD v Y2J v Mysterio v Miz v Kofi
Ambrose v Dolph v Sheamus v Big show v Cesaro v Swagger

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
One of the few good things Russo did when he was booker in the WWF was make sure everyone had an angle going. Jobbers had feuds with other jobbers on the C shows instead of just random matches, Boss Man was eating Al Snow's dog, etc. You don't need titles for guys to have feuds.

That's true, but they had a much smaller roster then. This was always bound to happen since WCW and ECW went under.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
That's true, but they had a much smaller roster then. This was always bound to happen since WCW and ECW went under.

More guys = more prestige for the titles. They also have more airtime weekly than they did in '98 too.

BreakTheWalls

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels2
For the life of me, I will never understand why WWE has never utilized a contender ranking system for any of their championships. Have they? Do I not know what I'm talking about? Regardless, I say they should definitely unify the titles. Use that match as the launchpad for a newly invigorated mid-card. There's no need for two mid-card titled when they're barely even using one of 'em.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Power 20th

Reactions: SAIYANS

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
For the life of me, I will never understand why WWE has never utilized a contender ranking system for any of their championships. Have they? Do I not know what I'm talking about? Regardless, I say they should definitely unify the titles. Use that match as the launchpad for a newly invigorated mid-card. There's no need for two mid-card titled when they're barely even using one of 'em.

Because it doesn't work in predetermined sports. Hell, it barely works in regular sports. WWE relies too much on who gets hot at the time even if they haven't got many wins lately, especially with the midcard titles. There's been many cases where people have won them in their first match and that wouldn't work if there was a ranking system. TNA tried it a few years ago and that failed like crazy within two weeks.

And @deezy, it was the Power 25 and it never was used for any actually rankings or anything. I wish WWE would plug it on shows and stuff though, talk about what people were ranked and stuff.