Should The IC & US Title Be Unified?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
20131218_ICUSTitles_LIGHT_HOMEPAGE.jpg

We know, we know. You’ve barely gotten used to calling Randy Orton the WWE World Heavyweight Champion, and already WWE.com is stirring the pot with more merger talk. But we can’t help but wonder:

Should the United States and Intercontinental Titles be unified?

With WWE’s recent streamlining of the title picture — in addition to the new WWE World Heavyweight Title, both the Divas Title and the WWE Tag Team Championships became the sole representatives of their divisions in 2010 — the Intercontinental and United States Championships remain the only mirror titles in WWE.

Is it time for one championship to rule them all? We weighed the pros and cons, and spoke with both Intercontinental Champion Big E Langston and United States Champion Dean Ambrose to get their opinions.

WWE.COM: Let’s get right to it: Do you think the United States Title and the Intercontinental Title should be unified?

BIG E LANGSTON: I’d be open to it. If it strengthens the legitimacy of both titles, then I’m all for it.

DEAN AMBROSE: It’d be a good thing as long as they made one good looking championship for me to haul around, because I’d definitely be the one holding it.

WWE.COM: So you think a new title should be created to replace the two championships?

AMBROSE: Instead of me lugging around both titles, yeah.

LANGSTON: I wouldn’t say so. I think the Intercontinental Title has so much prestige that I would hate for it to go away. If anything, I think it could absorb the U.S. Title.

AMBROSE: The Intercontinental Title has always been referred to as the “workhorse title,” because it was defended more frequently and more feverishly. Right now, I look at the United States Championship that way. I’ve defended that thing on four continents and more countries than I can remember. I take a lot of pride in that.

LANGSTON: The Intercontinental Championship should always be around in WWE. It’s very historic, and I don’t think we should lose that history.

AMBROSE: Something with a definitive ending. Maybe a Steel Cage Match, so that there would be no interference and no excuses. There would be no question marks coming out of it. He would know I was the Unified Champion, and there wouldn’t be a question about it.

WWE.COM: You both see it being something brutal.

AMBROSE: A lot of people don’t know this, but I’m the king of hardcore here in WWE. I’d be willing to put it all on the line and make sure we have a winner. Whatever kind of match there is, I’d be the one standing on the hill, with no question marks and no excuses.

WWE.COM: Is there a downside to unifying the titles?

AMBROSE: On the one hand, you’d have fewer titles for people to go for. On the other, it would be a prize that people would definitely want to come after. Nobody wants to come after my United States Title, because everyone has fallen so short and felt the hammer come down from The Shield afterward. It’s a very dangerous proposition to come after my title, so maybe having the championships unified would offer a little more prize money for people to want to go after.

LANGSTON: I can’t remark on how people would feel positively or negatively, but it would definitely bring more attention to the titles.

WWE.COM: It sounds like you’re both prepared for an eventual champion vs. champion showdown.

LANGSTON: I’d welcome the challenge.

AMBROSE: I feel that what I’ve given and sacrificed for the U.S. Title, I’d be willing to put that on the line as a pride thing. It’s just as good as the Intercontinental Title. That’s something I’d be willing to prove.
I was actually going to put up a thread on this today and it seems as though the WWE beat me to the punch which isn't all that bad. Personally I would have Big E unify them at WrestleMania and give him a pretty big moment leading into a very strong 2014 for him dominating the midcard division. It's a bit of a shame really that Reigns isn't the US Champion and then you could have your two future main eventers battling it out to unify them.​

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I'm a big fan of the less titles = more prestige theory (mainly because it's fact, not theory), so I'd like this. They'd have to get some shit going with the midcard title then if it was the case.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Feel like I've been pitching this for years

Oh wait....I have.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I don't see the need. Especially when most of the proponents of this want a light heavyweight (meaningless as weight class is irrelevant) or a Cruiserweight title instead. You've always had three titles, a diva and a tag. Why change that? I'd be all for the hardcore subbing out one of these but that's not happening. Problem is the titles are meaning less. Give one a gimmick US can only be swapped on us soil or some shit. or make one the belt that says this guy is on his way to the next level. While the other belt is like a good job rookie we see you going places.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
WWF only had TWO singles titles until 97. It worked that long, that stupid European title was made to stop Bulldogs bitching and that lame ass Lightweight title never meant a single solitary fuck in the history of midcard titles.

Light Heavyweight tournament from 97 is proof that WWE fans never cared for cruiserweight styled action and always preferred the walk n talk style.

But thats beside the point, TWO singles titles means you actually have atleast 10 people going for either title anmd you can rotate that shit around to make the title pictures look fresh. Fuck the US title, it should die with that World title.

Too many titles dillute the belts. Thats why the IC title hasn't meant shit since WM17.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
I would love for this to happen. I don't really see a need for two mid card titles, now that the shows are unified.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I think they will introduce a CW and/or hardcore belt again. I don't agree with it but I see it happening once these are unified as network exclusive type things.

I would love a us and IC consolidation match though, I've supported that since the first one back in 01

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Hardcore title was nothing but a joke and public shitting on ECW fans. And CW just stalls any push for smaller guys, anyone think Rey gets his title run if that title wasn't dormant during that time?

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
STOP CONSIDERING! JUST GET IT DONE!

Merge them, make it just the Intercontinental Championship. Make the IC a belt that earns you a title shot... so everytime (do it rarely) someone wins the IC title, they get a shot at the next PPV. If they win, you vacate the IC title (again, do this rarely). If they lose, someone else gets WWE Title feud while the IC holder starts defending against others who are trying to get their catapult to the main event. This ONLY works when the IC RARELY changes hands though, and when you have real main eventers gunning for it, and when they rarely win the match for the WWE title (so you can maybe once every 1 1/2 - 2 years hold a tournament at a PPV to crown a new IC champ).

Hell, you can even sub out them getting a shot at the title for them to get a shot at the champion on RAW where if they win, they get a shot at the title at the next PPV.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Hardcore title was nothing but a joke and public shitting on ECW fans. And CW just stalls any push for smaller guys, anyone think Rey gets his title run if that title wasn't dormant during that time?
I didn't say I like it, but I do think they introduce another belt back. They need something for their exclusive wrestling show and they have a bunch of guys, so I can see them doing that to get some people reactions.

I personally am a fan of the main roster having the 4 belts and the NXT belts only.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Just have the nxt it's own exclusive show.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
The way that TV rights article was written and things I've read made it seem like it was being shopped for TV along with the other core programs as Hulu could lose its rights. If it's not being shopped for TV, I would like to see it get treated in just that role. Give them 30 more mins. Do a special In your House/SNME type program love from full sail to get guys exposure every other month or so.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I think when bringing up how only having one midcard title worked before you have to keep in mind that the rosters back then is like damn near half of what it is now in terms of size. That said I wouldn't mind it happening for the fact that they are making more use of the tag division so some of the guys who would just be floating around can now just tag.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I think when bringing up how only having one midcard title worked before you have to keep in mind that the rosters back then is like damn near half of what it is now in terms of size. That said I wouldn't mind it happening for the fact that they are making more use of the tag division so some of the guys who would just be floating around can now just tag.

But two obviously isn't working so why not trying something different you know? Simple philosophy but I stand by it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
But two obviously isn't working so why not trying something different you know? Simple philosophy but I stand by it.
I agree with that and actually forgot to put that point that it isn't working in my post. Just was pointing out why they have kept 2 titles instead of having just one midcard belt.