Shogun possibly one win away from Jon Jones rematch

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

gashface

Reaction score
But this years not out yet so I don't people can pass judegement, plus all the events this year are much closer to home so of course it seems worse. I havn't watched WWE since late 2003/2004 properly, so I can't really pass judgement.. but whenever I've seen it since it just looks awful. Midgets? Really bad gimmicks.. Boogeyman anyone? And just no real depth to the characters.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
RIO DE JANEIRO – Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua had much reason to celebrate his UFC 134 win over Forrest Griffin.

The victory served as revenge for a 2007 loss to Griffin and helped keep Rua relevant in the UFC's 205-pound title picture.

But Rua (20-5 MMA, 4-3 UFC) said the celebration will be only mild. Satisfaction will come only when current champ Jon Jones (13-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) has been defeated.

"I've only had five losses," Rua said in his native Portuguese. "I've managed to avenge all of them except Jon Jones and [Renato 'Babalu' Sobral]. 'Babalu' is my friend, and he's on my team, so I wouldn't think of doing that. The only guy left then is Jon Jones."

Jones, of course, destroyed Rua in a March 2011 contest while stealing the belt from the Brazilian before he could register even one successful title defense. The one-sided beatdown left some wondering whether Rua's best days were behind him.

But fighting in his native Brazil for the first time in eight years, Rua looked in vintage form and needed fewer than two minutes to dispose of Griffin at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena. The rowdy Brazilian crowd was cheering and chanting loudly throughout, and Rua said he appreciated the vocal backing.

"For sure they were screaming, but I found it all very motivating," Rua said. "It gives you more energy, more motivation. So we were happy that the crowd was supporting me.

"We find motivation from many different sources. So I find motivation from my family, my friends, my country. But my motivation currently is the UFC and fighting in the UFC. It was very special to do so in my country."

What comes next for Rua is still uncertain. Jones defends his belt in next month against Quinton "Rampage" Jackson in UFC 135's main event. Fellow ex-champ Rashad Evans is coming off a convincing win over Tito Ortiz. That leaves a lot of options for Rua, who UFC president Dana White said now belongs in future championship discussions.

"[That] was a big win for him," White said. "The guy just lost the title to Jon Jones, who many people believe – I've got Jon Jones ranked No. 3 pound-for-pound in the world. (He) beats Forrest Griffin, who's one of the top light heavyweights in the world. It put 'Shogun' right back in the title hunt."

Rua said he believes it will take one more win before he gets a shot at revenge. With a positive result, he may be right. And when it's time, Rua insists he'll be prepared.

"Jones is a very [skilled] guy, at the top of the division," Rua said. "He's a guy who deserves a lot of respect, because he fights well."

For more on UFC 134, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.