Senseless Things Throughout Wrestling History

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
When Rick Flair was the black scorpion or whatever. Everyone knew it was him.

The thing is, he initially wasn't supposed to be. The Scorpion made numerous references to things that Flair couldn't possibly have known. Then the booking totally fell apart and they just made Flair the Scorpion. I honestly don't think there was ever a definitive end game for the Scorpion.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Show vs. Akebono was cool, I thought. It's just one of those things that you'll only see at WrestleMania, just like Mayweather vs. Big Show or Snooki, JoMo, and Trish teaming up. It gets people talking.

I'm going to go ahead and mention the end of the Royal Rumble in 1994. It wasn't a farfetched idiotic booking thing like a lot of the ones mentioned above, but it was such a cop out... you can't have two men win a Rumble! The reason people watch the damn thing to see who is the best of the best, who can survive and conquer everyone else, and when you get two winners, you just blow the big payoff meant for the eventual winner. This would then set up Hart and Yoko each having to wrestle two matches at the following WrestleMania. If it was me, I would have just let Luger win, let Yoko retain his title, and have Bret put over Owen, and then fight his way back into the mix post-WrestleMania.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
No Limit Army and the Kiss Demon SON!

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
That's a little better, Vips.

But since Booty reminded me... The Misfits In Action.

Fun. But did WCW really think that they needed such a faction when their promotion was already going down the drain? Shoulda got The Natural Born Thrillers/The Main Event to beat the hell out of them, put O'Haire at the top of the mountain and slapped the titles on Mark Jindrak and Shawn Stasiak. That's just my opinion though.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
what you didn't love G.I. Bro? or Major Gunns?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Hogan vs. Andre II at the Main Event.

Seriously, what a dickhead politician Hogan was. He wouldn't even return the job that Andre did for him at WM III. Instead we get twin referees, Andre not getting a clean win and Hogan standing alone in the ring after beating up poor Earl Hebner. They could have just had Andre pin hogan for real and ran the same angle with Tunney vacating the title but no, Hogan had to somehow end up on top.

Then at WM IV when Savage wins the belt after competing in four matches who's right there to celebrate? Fucking Hogan. Douche.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I liked both G.I. Bro and Major Gunns, as well as Gen. Hugh G. Rection, but who believed that they were going to be a saving grace in a failing WCW? I guess at that point though, Eric and Russo were prolly like "fuck it", but come on now guys...

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I'm dying to say Eric Young's gimmick just to piss everyone off.

But I'm gonna say santino eliminating Cody Rhodes and Wade Barrett last night at the chamber.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3

Seriously, what a dickhead politician Hogan was. He wouldn't even return the job that Andre did for him at WM III. Instead we get twin referees, Andre not getting a clean win and Hogan standing alone in the ring after beating up poor Earl Hebner. They could have just had Andre pin hogan for real and ran the same angle with Tunney vacating the title but no, Hogan had to somehow end up on top.

Then at WM IV when Savage wins the belt after competing in four matches who's right there to celebrate? Fucking Hogan. Douche.

People say the business was still dangerous back in the 80's... it's a wonder a bunch of WWF stars didn't gang up and jump Hogan after some show. I'm shocked he was able to actually forge friendships with guys like Savage, Warrior, Jimmy Hart, and others given how much of a jackass he was back then. Then again, most of his friends, like The Nasty Boys, Brutus Beefcake, and Warrior also had jackass-ish tendencies, so that may explain a few things.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I'm dying to say Eric Young's gimmick just to piss everyone off.

But I'm gonna say santino eliminating Cody Rhodes and Wade Barrett last night at the chamber.

There's nothing wrong with Eric Young's gimmick.

Santino pinning Rhodes and Barrett last night won't matter in the grand scheme of things and you were the one cheering for Santino to win so how could it have bothered you that much?

The EC said:
People say the business was still dangerous back in the 80's... it's a wonder a bunch of WWF stars didn't gang up and jump Hogan after some show. I'm shocked he was able to actually forge friendships with guys like Savage, Warrior, Jimmy Hart, and others given how much of a jackass he was back then. Then again, most of his friends, like The Nasty Boys, Brutus Beefcake, and Warrior also had jackass-ish tendencies, so that may explain a few things.

Being buddy buddy with Vince was the only thing that saved Hogan. Nobody would cross him because they knew doing so would also put them at odds with their boss.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Who said MIA were supposed to be the "saving grace"? I doubt they were ever intended to be.

Just something to get some guys over that were stuck doing nothing.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I wasn't cheering. I was kidding. If santino won I would have shot myself.

Another senseless thing was Earthquake squashing Damien. Did they expect people to believe that it was a real snake in there.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Who said MIA were supposed to be the "saving grace"? I doubt they were ever intended to be.

Just something to get some guys over that were stuck doing nothing.

That was I. But I didn't say that they were meant to, I was just saying that they simply weren't. When WCW was needing to make some real cash and pick up some steam again, they should have spent some more time creating stars that would pack their arenas, instead of comedic relief. They seemed useless, no matter how fun they could be at times.

Reaction score

While the whole twin refs plastic surgery angle was a little too over the top, I thought things were perfect. Having Andre just cleanly pin Hogan would have ruined the entire story they were going for. After four years of being champion, it was clear that no one could defeat Hogan for the belt. This only added to the frustration of Ted DiBiase since from the moment he stepped in the WWE some months earlier, he had been trying to secure the belt. He tried beating Hogan, that failed. He tried buying Hogan off, that failed. Since DiBiase couldn't just buy someone off to beat Hogan and give DiBiase the belt (Remember, no one could beat Hogan), having anyone else do the bidding would have failed too.

This is where DiBiase was really put over as the top heel. First, he buys off the one guy who came closest to beating Hogan - Andre. WM 3 showed us that that wouldn't have been enough, so DiBiase did more evil deeds. He went out and paid a guy to imposter referee, Dave Hebner. Even that wasn't enough so DiBiase made sure that Virgil and himself were at ringside to distract Hogan as often as they could.

It was vital to make the win as dirty as possible to add more and more heel heat to DiBiase. For the fans, all they'd remember is that Hogan was screwed over more than anyone else in history. Hogan had everything going against him and that no good bastard, DiBiase, weaseled his way into being WWE World Champion, not by earning it, but by buying it.

It's an amazing beginning of an angle, but the angle also failed since they didn't conclude it properly. Having Savage win the belt didn't make any sense at the time. The whole story was DiBiase buying the belt and Hogan having to chase after it until the fans got to see what they wanted the most - Hogan beating DiBiase to get back what was truly his. Instead, they just used the start of this angle to begin the awesome Savage/Hogan program.

Having Andre cleanly beat Hogan wouldn't have done anything of real significance.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a kayfabe joke or if you're talking about a legit backstage fight. Any WWE employee who was stupid enough to have an issue with Hogan is a mark. With Hogan on top, you were making far more money than without him. He may have been a dirty politician, but at least in the 80's, you wanted him to do that as it just meant your wallet was fatter and fatter.