• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ROH Results Thread

Montana

Maybe i'm nit-picking here, but theres lots of holes in the booking imo. I'm not talking about the time limit draw, cause i thought that was actually pretty good.

- The Jacobs/Black/Aries storyline. GREAT match at Rising Above. Probably one of my favorites matches in history, with all the drama you could ask for in a match. But now, they've had Jacobs turn on black, and help out Aries in about 3 shows???

- SnS vs Albright, Strong, Stevens (5 on 5) main event of the PPV. This is what gets me. You put Sweet n Sour in the main, and CHRIS HERO, the leader of SNS isn't even around. I don't believe Go shoizaki has signed on for the event yet, which would almost mean Adam Pearce would have to wrestle, just to have some SnS guys on the team. He's been gone for months. Also you put this midcard fued as center stage, and the guy they should be pushing, roderick strong is taking a backseat to brent albright.

I like some of the ideas Pearce is trying to bring in, however i don't see ideas delivering as well as they should. From a storyline perspective, he really hasn't done anything yet. He basically running with Gabe's ideas. Except the Jerry Lynn for World Champ thing.

Soulpower

^^^ I see what you mean. The whole thing with Aries/Jacobs still reeks of Gabe, but pretty much everything else seems to be orchestrated by Pearce. I am annoyed at Strong taking a backseat to Brent, but I guess that's due to Pearce a fan of Albright's (And the fact that Pearce had the best matches of his LIFE against Brent).

Lynn's "redemption" story with him talking about the old days is 100% Pearce. Again, other than the Aries/Jacobs.... thing (Don't even know what to call it) everything else seems to be Pearce's doing.

And I have to say it, the run-ins in the main event look like something out of ECW, as does the on the fly booking that took place at the show. Like I said, I'm liking the change so far.

AND WOULD THEY HURRY UP AND BRING NANA BACK FULL-TIME?

Montana

I guess part of the problem, I THINK is Pearce is putting on his shows like it was for television. Which is OK. But i think to expect the fans to pay 20$ for one of these shows, isn't really fair. If you cut the shows by 30 minutes, thats less product for your money. It would be one thing if they added 30 minutes of segments/promos/other stuff. Maybe i'll make a big post of all the changes i've seen. Or Pro's/Con's of Pearce.

I just think some of the value has been lost. But its still early.

On side note, i watched 75% of Rising Above, and so far, its my Favorite ROH ppv. I should have a review coming soon.

I guess part of the problem, I THINK is Pearce is putting on his shows like it was for television. Which is OK. But i think to expect the fans to pay 20$ for one of these shows, isn't really fair. If you cut the shows by 30 minutes, thats less product for your money. It would be one thing if they added 30 minutes of segments/promos/other stuff. Maybe i'll make a big post of all the changes i've seen. Or Pro's/Con's of Pearce.

I just think some of the value has been lost. But its still early.

On side note, i watched 75% of Rising Above, and so far, its my Favorite ROH ppv. I should have a review coming soon.

yeah, I don't really like the shows being more like TV now. The main events seem great, but the rest of the show is nothing too special. It's nice to build up for the bigger shows, but they won't be worth paying the DVD price.

this weekend's shows looked OK. I'd be looking forward to the main event matches, but the undercard matches aren't really matches that really interest me.

thoughts about the Edison show:
we mustve missed the Bobby Dempsey match,it definitely wasnt the last pre-show match.when we got there and the Payne tag match was about to be introduced.wouldve liked to see Bobby wrestle,oh well.

Albright vs. Rhett was ok,back and forth,Rhett heeling it up and then getting throw around at the end. 4 way was eh. Necro was really the excretory matters last night with his soft,weak ass punches,him and Delirious were going at each other outside during the beginning while Wayne and Denney half assed it in the ring. Delirious looked the best of the four. necro had his Hogan moment when he poses and gestures for the fans while his music plays and he didnt even win the match.

Aries interview had the usual point,the fans didnt appreciate him and all his sacrifices,these things usually hold some truth. It was cool to see Jay Briscoe get the W,id like to see him with a singles push while Mark is out but the match was average with Aries and JJ not doing much of anything moves wise.lumberjack match had a lot of action and a pack of jobber lumberjacks who were rapid. Sweeney tries to interfere Albright runs him off ref is distracted,illegal use of chair,finish.

Redwood vs. Escobar was another match that was just there,Grizzly was mixing it up a little bit,Escobar didnt do anything .

lots of good back and forth with Dragon and JL,I can see another match or two at least from these guys. good match,worth the trip.

ME was very good with lots of action and stiff stuff outside the ring plus Nigel was working Blacks arm to set up his submission finisher. the crowd was really into the match and yes Tyler is really over. that said Tyler and Dragon being sugary sweet babyfaces doesnt work for me. I was excited during the ME,the action was great but i couldnt help but roll my eyes when the flood gates opened and all the TALENT from the locker room came out. their was a small TNA chant heard during this time. it was just excess. I was waiting for Jarrett and his guitar to make his way out. I think Aries comments earlier about using his title shot at a "B" show plus Dragon getting on the mic during the mass run in and telling guys hey this isnt ROH lets get to the back so they can decide this match on their own,nobody listened so he joins in,well those two instances to me seem like shots to the critics who dont like the new direction of the company. also ive been to two out of the last three shows and both times wrestlers called out to Carey for something on the mic,do we need another owner in the spotlight? I also wasnt happy with Tyler getting a 5 minute rest period outside the ring early in the match when Nigel was kicking his ass too hard and Black maybe not being able to continue. Black lays around,help comes from the back,refs start helping Tyler to the back,Tyler gets his second wind and amazingly gets back to the ring. how about a count ref? it was a passable show in person but its not one id buy on DVD and that's where the money is

Motor City Madness 2009

RESULTS

Preshow

1) Ernie Osiris defeats Ninja Pink

2) Kenny King defeats "Sugarfoot" Alex Payne

3) Irish Airborne vs. Grizzly Redwood & Alex Ridge ends with a Bison Smith run in, wiping out all four.

Main Show

1) Bryan Danielson defeats Rhett Titus with Cattle Mutilation. Mostly a comedy bout with Dragon playing to the crowd a lot.

2) Austin Aries defeats Silas Young with the Last Chancery. Match was fine, nothing special. Before the match Aries cut a promo telling off the fans, and taking a shot at Silas' newborn and his wife. During Aries' entrance no one knew who it was due to the music. Aries yelled through Young's entire entrance.

~Return date: June 26th, 2009

3) Brodie Lee vs. Necro Butcher ends in a double count out. Most of the match was spent outside the ring, and they brawled in to the crowd afterward. Brodie jumped Necro during his entrance.

~Delirious and Jimmy are out. Jimmy calls out Strong and Stevens.

4) Roderick Strong & Erick Stevens defeat Jimmy Jacobs & Delirious with a Big Boot/Spinebuster combo. Decent match, but the crowd is still semi-deadish. Jimmy physically threatened Delirious after the match but they eventually left together.

~INTERMISSION~

5) Claudio Castagnoli defeats Brent Albright via disqualification. SNS Inc. came out to watch the match from the ramp. Albright locked Claudio in the Crowbar, and when Claudio got to the ropes Albright refused to release the hold, instead choosing to keep it in and yell at Sweeney. Match was a very good until the finish.

6) Tyler Black and Jerry Lynn wrestle to a twenty minute draw. The match was absolutely awesome. Crowds wants five more minutes ... but they aren't going to get it.

7) Nigel McGuinness defeats Jay Briscoe with the Jawbreaker in a solid match. Lots of jawing with the crowd.

8) ROH World Tag Team Championships: Kevin Steen & El Generico defeat Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards to retain the Championships in a good main. After the match Steen cuts a promo saying Steenerico are holding those belts for a good long while.

-----

Sounded like a show that was average, nothing doesn't look too amazing. Black vs Lynn probably was the MOTN, because everything else seemed average or just "good". I don't really like Lynn and how he's been looking so amazing against Dragon and now Black.

Montana

1) Bryan Danielson defeats Rhett Titus
- Titus should not be in the ring with Dragon. This match went too long. 2.75

2) Austin Aries defeats Silas Young
- Aries is trying so hard to be hated, and he's just a better face. His wrestling style as a heel puts you to sleep. 2.5

3) Brodie Lee vs. Necro Butcher ends in a double count
- Ehh, decent brawl...wasn't really a match.

4) Roderick Strong & Erick Stevens defeat Jimmy Jacobs & Delirious

Solid match, 3.0

5) Claudio Castagnoli defeats Brent Albright via disqualification.

Decent, till another poor finish. 2.75

6) Tyler Black and Jerry Lynn wrestle to a twenty minute draw.
Very good match, nothing great. 3.5-3.75

7) Nigel McGuinness defeats Jay Briscoe
- WEAK, Nigel got like one lariat in. This match was over right when it started to get good. 3.25

8) ROH World Tag Team Championships: Kevin Steen & El Generico defeat Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards

3.75 pretty good, nothing out of this world. What you would expect from these guys in a main event spot.

Overall the show was weak. The crowd was DEAD, and the wrestlers were playing to crowd the whole time. THe problem was the wrestlers weren't doing ANY wrestling to get the crowd into the show. There was a million headlocks and armbars. There's a lack of nearfalls in the undercard matches now. I'd say ROH needs to go back to the basics, and soon. You didn't leave with that normal ROH feeling.

( I'd probably say the main event was MOTYN, but if Lynn/Black got 5 more minutes, than that could have been)

Soulpower

There's a lack of nearfalls in the undercard matches now.

That's the way it should be. There's no need to have a million kickouts in the first match.

I don't care if there's a lack of nearfalls in the first couple of matches. What's missing on most of the newer ROH cards is excitement. The first couple of matches look like they kill the crowd from the beginning with a slower match. And that looks like it hurts the whole feeling of the show. If they had more exciting matches or segments in the beginning, that would probably get the fans into the show early. Something like a spot match, or a fast paced match that's under 10 minutes. It doesn't seem like a big thing to change at all.

Montana

There's a lack of nearfalls in the undercard matches now.

That's the way it should be. There's no need to have a million kickouts in the first match.

That's what truthslayer said to me on the ROH board. I agree there shouldn't be a milllion nearfalls either. BUT there wasn't ANY nearfalls till like the 6th match in!!! The fans were flat out dead, and all the wrestlers did was say "come on" Dragon / Titus went about 15 minutes and had probably about 3-4 botches. Some of the fans were actually wanted to see the match end, not so dragon could win, just because it got boring.

I agree with Headfirst. ROH has pretty much eliminated the spotfest, highflying fun match. Which hurts the variety of the shows. No real excitment. Necro or Brodie punched sinclair, that was one of the most memorable moments. There wasn't anything really memorable on this show. But look at the match ratings, that pretty much says it all.

Soulpower

ROH Caged Collision results:

Preshow

~Haven't heard from ninja yet, so I'm going through a back up for the moment.

1) Tag match, missed the names.

2) Egotistico Fantastico defeats Deryck St. Holmes with a backslide.

~Return Date: April 25th, 2009.

Main Show

~Ninja is there.

1) "Sugarfoot" Alex Payne defeats Silas Young & Kenny King with a hurricanrana on Young. King looked absolutely great in the match while Young and Payne were sloppy and unimpressive.

2) Claudio Castagnoli defeats Kevin Steen with a Ricola Bomb following a Larry Sweeney distraction.

3) Grizzly Redwood defeats Rhett Titus with a roll up.

4) Jerry Lynn & Necro Butcher defeat Brodie Lee & Delirious when Lynn pins Delirious with a cradle piledriver. Necro put Brodie through a table on the floor.

~After the match Daizee accidentally spikes Delirious in the face while trying to hit Jimmy. Crowd didn't seem to care much.

~INTERMISSION~

~Before the Money In The Bank Tag Match can happen, Dragon takes the mic and everyone agrees that this is now a 4 way match.

5) Tyler Black defeats Austin Aries, Jimmy Jacobs, and Bryan Danielson to secure a title match when and where ever he sees fit. Bison Smith interfered in the match taking out Danielson with a powerbomb on the floor. Black rolled up Jacobs after he accidentally speared Aries.

6) ROH World Championship: Nigel McGuinness defeats El Generico to retain the Title. Generico tapped to the London Dungeon. On par with their previous matches.

~Tyler is out to CASH IN!

7) ROH World Championship: Tyler Black & Nigel McGuinness ... never gets to begin. Aries and Jacobs jump Black before the bell. Necro and Lynn make the save, and Nigel hauls ass through the crowd.

8) STEEL CAGE WARFARE

a) Davey Richards and Roderick Strong kick things off.
b) Tank Toland is out at #2 for SNS Inc.
c) Ace Steel in at #2 for Team Albright.
d) Eddie Edwards in at #3 for SNS Inc.
e) Jay Briscoe in at #3 for Team Albright.
f) Jay is jumped before he can get in by a double team. Appears out of it.
g) Bobby Dempsey in at #4 for SNS Inc.
h) Erick Stevens in at #4 for Team Albright
i) PEARCE is in at #5 for SNS Inc.
j) Albright in as the final man.

-Roddy is totally busted open. Jay still not in the match.
-Jay is back in. SNS Inc. have been tossed from the ring, and now it's a momentary 5 on 1 on Pearce.
-Jay Briscoe is alone with Bobby in the cage, but dives out rather than attack him.

Brent Albright defeats Adam Pearce to win the Steel Cage War.

After the match Sweeney gets in Bobby's face and slaps him. Dempsey finally snaps. He tears Sweeney's shirt off and "beats the s***" out of him. HUGE Dempsey chants echoing through the building. Dempsey leaves Larry a bloody mess following a Death Valley Driver.

Montana

Here's the problem i've had with the booking of this PPV. The Sweet and Sour team! #1 the leader of SnS isn't there Chris Hero. The #2 guy in Go shoizaki isn't there. Which leaves the main event team of Richards, Edwards, Dempsey, Toland, and Pearce. That's 3 wrestlers who haven't wrestled in like 6 months. WTF were they thinking?

The booking of the undercard is just...weird. Doesn't have the ppv feel or continuity.

I don't think Go will be coming back, FB seemed like the end of his run for the year in America. And I think it was mentioned in the video wire, Hero's in Japan being awesome. I think it was way too early for the Steel Cage to happen, they could've waited a little bit longer to set up the mystery guys and Sweeney and Dempsey. They also could've added Claudio, with the hint of Sweeney's interference or waited for Hero to return. The last two Steel Cage matches really haven't felt majorly hyped at all, IMO.

After reading the results, I could tell that this show was stronger than the last run of shows in january. Right now, it looks like ROH is only bringing out the big matches and moments for the hot cities like Chicago, NYC and Philly. That really sucks because there is one great show every month or two, but the shows in between probably would be skippable on DVD.

And it's about time that Dempsey turned. It's been what, two years? And how many chances ROH could've pulled the trigger.

EDIT - Major LOLz at the ROH uber marks that refuse to accept any form of criticism of the product at all. Pretty funny stuff.

Soulpower

RESULTS

Preshow

1) Alex Payne defeats Wes Eskimo with a rana.

2) The British Lions defeat The Heartbreak Express with a clothesline/sunset flip combo.

Main Show

1) Brad Attitude defeats Sean Osbourne with a variation of an inverted side slam.

2) Bison Smith annihilates Sal Rinauro for the entire match, ends it with an Iron Claw Chokeslam.

3) Roderick Strong, Erick Stevens, & BOBBY DEMPSEY defeat Kenny King, Chasyn Rance, & Rhett Titus when Dempsey hit Rance with his Death Valley Driver.

4) Austin Aries defeats The Necro Butcher with a kick/brainbuster combo. Jacobs distracted the ref and Delirious hit a chair shot to set the pin up.

5) Bryan Danielson & Jerry Lynn defeat Jimmy Jacobs & Delirious in a really fun match when Jacobs tapped to Cattle Mutilation.

~INTERMISSION~

6) Nigel McGuinness defeats Brent Albright by rolling out of The Crowbar and grabbing the tights. Great, hard hitting match.

7) Kevin Steen & El Generico defeat The Dark City Fight Club in a highly entertaining, very competitive match with the brainbuster/package piledriver combo. "More DCFC in ROH please."

8) Tyler Black defeats Davey Richards with the corner powerbomb & superkick. Great main event to end the night on.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

6) Nigel McGuinness defeats Brent Albright by rolling out of The Crowbar and grabbing the tights.
That's a change. :shifty:

Show looks alright, though some things on it bothered me, the main event mainly. I absolutely love Davey, but Davey vs Tyler should definitely not go on last. It just doesn't seem right. I'm sure they had a quality match, but it shouldn't really be the end to the show.

I also don't like Bison SMith. :n: