Road To FIFA: World Cup 2014 Brazil

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Messi winning player of the tournament too, lol Fifa.
Shouldn't it have gone to the old guy who got the most goals ever?

Trying to justify Messi greatness, even though he never won anything.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Shouldn't it have gone to the old guy who got the most goals ever?

Trying to justify Messi greatness, even though he never won anything.

He only scored two goals in this tournament. The best attacker for Germany in this World Cup was Muller who bagged 5 goals and 3 assists. I definitely would have given the player of the tournament to him, or James Rodriguez who was also fantastic.

And Messi has won A LOT, just not at international level. For Argentina he's essentially expected to carry the whole team on his back, no matter how good the team is as a whole. I wouldn't blame him for any of the short comings of that team.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
He only scored two goals in this tournament. The best attacker for Germany in this World Cup was Muller who bagged 5 goals and 3 assists. I definitely would have given the player of the tournament to him, or James Rodriguez who was also fantastic.

And Messi has won A LOT, just not at international level. For Argentina he's essentially expected to carry the whole team on his back, no matter how good the team is as a whole. I wouldn't blame him for any of the short comings of that team.
Success defines greatness.

Messi has none outside of individual awards

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Success defines greatness.

Messi has none outside of individual awards

Huh? Yeah he has. He's won the Spanish league 6 times, Spanish cup 2 times, European cup 3 times, and the club world cup 2 times. He's been hugely successful.

Reactions: Dale

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The fuck are those? That ain't a world Cup.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Ok, you're just trolling me now, aren't you? You have to be.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Ok, you're just trolling me now, aren't you? You have to be.
What really matters? A World Cup or a league trophy, where the league consists of billions of dirt league teams full of nobodies? A gold medal in Olympics means more than some dirt league trophy for other fringe sports.

A World Cup is the biggest trophy there is.....The real Ronaldo has his, Klose now has his......c'mon man....real trophies > placement ribbons

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
What really matters? A World Cup or a league trophy, where the league consists of billions of dirt league teams full of nobodies? A gold medal in Olympics means more than some dirt league trophy for other fringe sports.

A World Cup is the biggest trophy there is.....The real Ronaldo has his, Klose now has his......c'mon man....real trophies > placement ribbons

I think you're underestimating just how important club football is. It's really, really big... there's simply no denying it.

There's a reason why players retire from international football first, because club football is ultimately more important. Granted, the World Cup is the biggest trophy there is, but it's still a tournament that only comes around every 4 years. It's not the only important thing in football. If it was it wouldn't be the biggest sport in the world.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Messi winning player of the tournament was a joke as he only produced against the lesser sides. I would have given Tim Howard player of the tournament ahead of him. No question Messi is a great player but until he does it at a world cup he can't be talked about in the same league as the likes of Maradona or Pale.

Well done to the Germans, a victory for Football and a worthy goal to cap a great tournament.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I think you're underestimating just how important club football is. It's really, really big... there's simply no denying it.

There's a reason why players retire from international football first, because club football is ultimately more important. Granted, the World Cup is the biggest trophy there is, but it's still a tournament that only comes around every 4 years. It's not the only important thing in football. If it was it wouldn't be the biggest sport in the world.
Pretty much this really. I don't know how I can explain it really but the best I can come out with is that winning the World Cup would be the cherry on the top for some of the modern day greats but it should be in no way to used to determine their legacy.

Guys like Ronaldo & Messi who have these ridiculous personal stats, achievements and honors aren't not gonna be considered as all time greats because they haven't got a WC on their CV.