Retirement age? And is wwe in trouble with upcoming retirements?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

What does everyone think? Obviously there will be guys like Flair and Michaels, who will just continue to wrestle until they are dinosaurs, but Im talking on average... What's a good age for a wrestler to retire?
I thought of this, because I actually saw Batista's age today:( And I realised, he may not have much time left (hes turning 40 in a few months)...

-So anyways, ya, whats a normal age for a top guy to retire?
-And also, do you think wwe is in trouble when the likes of Batista, HBK, and HHH (who are all oldasses now) retire?

Evil Austin

yes I do believe wwe is in trouble once that happens it will be TNA"s time to shine.. but the main thing that would save the WWE right now is to push other wrestlers up to HHH / HBK / Batista level (just so you know all of them are around the 40's)... and once they go there won't be much in the main event level.. so as of now if it were up to me work on pushing others to there level like..

MVP
Rey (also not young anymore)
Jericho (also not young anymore, like rey has been in wwe, wcw, ecw)
Umaga
Kennedy

and a few others which I can't think of as I type this up...

eggthief

Reaction score
Theres only 3 years between umaga and hhh, how does this make hhh old and umaga young? anyway

Well 40-50 seems okay for me, I mean they earned enough to live in peace for the rest of their lifes and when u are at that age your body might be more prone to injuries and stuff.

-And also, do you think wwe is in trouble when the likes of Batista, HBK, and HHH (who are all oldasses now) retire?

Well I dont know how successfull their kids focus that they seem to be having the last couple of years is. If yes, then they can easily live on people like mysterio, jeff and cena and further degrade the product for me. If not, then they're screwed.

Btw, why would michaels go on till hes nothing more than a skeleton with skin on it like flair? didnt it took a lot of convincing by the E and hhh during his last "time off" to let him continue because he wanted to spend more time with his family?

kingovkings

Reaction score
I think that the time to retire is when there body is trashed they are not cutting in the ring, mic, promos, etc, and if they have no chemistry with the fans. Its hard to put and age on it but as long as they can still put on wicked matches and the crowd goes home happy then fine. If they cant and the crowd isn't into them then that's the time to quit.

C4

There shouldn't be any particular age when the wrestlers should retire, they should step down when the fans are tired of them and most importantly, when they feel that they are tired of themselves...

The next decade is probably going to be crucial for the wrestling industry, we're going to see the retirement of Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Booker T, The Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Tommy Dreamer, one or maybe both of the Hardy Boys, Kurt Angle and so on... every wrestling promotion needs to develop future superstars quicker than ever before, I honestly see nothing developing in the next two or three years in WWE except Orton/Cena mainly because of the Drugs and the wellness policy.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Yes, hopefully HBK retires soon, rather than going the Flair route and just embarassing both himself and anyone watching and trying to convince friends that wrestling is a cool thing to watch.

Imo, age has nothing to do with retiring in professional wrestling. It's all about how long you can continue doing what you're doing at a main event level. If you can still wrestle for a 15 minute stretch and at the end of it all be able to Jacknife anyone weighing under 300 pounds, do it. If you can still run around the ring, leaping to the top turnbuckle and flowing into a missile dropkick, hitting springboard moonsaults, do it. If all you can do is slap your opponent's chest for the entire damn match, get into a time machine, go back a decade, and get the hell out of the ring.

Not that i'm referencing anyone. :shifty:

chessarmy

I would say the normal age is late 40's early 50's, and I don't think WWE will be in trouble if any main eventer retires. Sure, it will be a huge loss, but WWE will create new stars. Lets face it, WWE can take a garbage can and turn it into a main eventer, and I think that once HHH/Taker/HBK/Batista retire, WWE will find a way to make new stars or elevate some wrestlers to take their place

adrenalinegg

Reaction score
If you think it in other way this could be good for the WWE. When guys like Triple H, HBK or even Batista retire, don´t have anything against these guys but i really belive the WWE and specially the creative team is gonna be refreshed. Yes it could take a long time before heat rises again to the Federation level, but even now these guys only generate small amounts of heat compared to the Federation times.

Superstars like Kennedy, Cm Punk, MVP, and even Y2J and Edge are gonna be the new face of the WWE.

The Rated R CMStar

WWE will have no problem at all. Wasnt this discused as well back in 2003, when Austin, Rock and Hogan left? And WWE quickly answered back with bringing back Big Show to the main event and making Kurt Angle red hot, and I dont even have to mention Evolution and Brock Lesnar.

Now, even if HHH leaves, last time HHH will do is put Randy Orton totally over. He has done it slowly and partially, but before he goes, he will give him a Batista push. Speaking of Randy, he's not even in his 30s, and is already one credible, big main eventer.

Same goes for Edge. He is 34 years old. Counting injuries, give him 5 years more. Rey is 33, he will give the WWE 2 years more(too many injuries). I find it funny you talk about MVP being young, he is as old as Edge and Rey and even more than others.

Jeff Hardy, is 30, and unless he screws again, he will stay in the WWE. John Cena, the most important of them all, has 30 years old. CM Punk is arguably already, with 2 years in the WWE, a uppermidcard jobber. It will only take WWE a big feud to make him a main eventer. Thing the E has shown to do well, they can make a people red hot with just one feud, or ask Ken Kennedy with his feud with Taker, and how it only took that to make him a title contender.

MikeRaw

WWE will have no problem at all. Wasnt this discused as well back in 2003, when Austin, Rock and Hogan left? And WWE quickly answered back with bringing back Big Show to the main event and making Kurt Angle red hot, and I dont even have to mention Evolution and Brock Lesnar.

Now, even if HHH leaves, last time HHH will do is put Randy Orton totally over. He has done it slowly and partially, but before he goes, he will give him a Batista push. Speaking of Randy, he's not even in his 30s, and is already one credible, big main eventer.

Same goes for Edge. He is 34 years old. Counting injuries, give him 5 years more. Rey is 33, he will give the WWE 2 years more(too many injuries). I find it funny you talk about MVP being young, he is as old as Edge and Rey and even more than others.

Jeff Hardy, is 30, and unless he screws again, he will stay in the WWE. John Cena, the most important of them all, has 30 years old. CM Punk is arguably already, with 2 years in the WWE, a uppermidcard jobber. It will only take WWE a big feud to make him a main eventer. Thing the E has shown to do well, they can make a people red hot with just one feud, or ask Ken Kennedy with his feud with Taker, and how it only took that to make him a title contender.

Whered I ever say MVP was young? lol... And MVP also isnt the future of the wwe, lol.
Anyways, I agree with you that new stars were made in 2003. But that doesnt mean it will happen again for sure. Back then, they used temporary main eventers after all the big guys left, and then made stars out of Cena, Orton, Batista and a few others...

Right now, we dont know if wwe can make the same stars or not. Possibly with Punk , Ted Dibiase, and a few others, but theres no guaranteeing. But anyways, wwe will always (IMO) manage to make new stars.
Just keep in mind, when I make these types of threads, it isnt me stating that wwe is running out of stars, or will run out of stars, etc, I just make an intro paragraph, and then pose the questions.
The Q was (as you know) will they be in trouble when some big guys leave... That doesnt mean I think they will be, it was just the question for people to answer.

The Rated R CMStar

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about DX 3:16, who also lists Umaga(35) and Y2J(37) as young guys.

CenaMark54

No they are not in trouble at all and its quite possible things could get better when the old guard retires.

Number one, the top face is John Cena and the top heel is Randy Orton. Both relatively young guys.

Number two, someone unexpected will almost always step up when given a time to shine. Back when the WWE was cutting lose all the vets, including Hogan in the mid 90's everyone thought the WWE was dead. The came Stunning Steve Austin and Rocky Maivia.

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

I think that there should be no set age, just rather when they look like they have had enough. I think that HBK should probably go out at next year's WM, or possibly after they give him one last title run, as he has run his course. HHH and Btaista could both probably hang around for another 3+ years, so I don't see a mass exodus happening any time soon.

Definitely not. As CenaMark said, you have to remember Orton and Cena are still young. They will still have Edge, and by the time that HHH retires, I think Christian Cage will have returned to WWE. Then you look at MVP, and his younger brother VIP, who WWE will probably sign by then, and you just see charisma. WWE is in good enough shape now for their future, unless everyone decides to leave (and by everyone I mean Orton, Cena, Edge), which we know is extremely unlikely.

Qwake

yes I do believe wwe is in trouble once that happens it will be TNA"s time to shine.. but the main thing that would save the WWE right now is to push other wrestlers up to HHH / HBK / Batista level (just so you know all of them are around the 40's)... and once they go there won't be much in the main event level.. so as of now if it were up to me work on pushing others to there level like..
MVP
Rey (also not young anymore)
Jericho (also not young anymore, like rey has been in wwe, wcw, ecw)

Umaga
Kennedy

and a few others which I can't think of as I type this up...

^ wtf!

Are you seriously saying that Y2J and Rey Mysterio arent up to main event level and are young :smh

Y2J = first ever undisputed champ and an 8 time IC champ

Rey = Royal Rumble winner and a WHC

they are both def at that level and are both pretty old and I think they could be retiring soon enough...

I think that an average retirement age should be 40 - 45, if your body can still last then you can just keep going (like nature boy) or your body may consistently get hurt and you could retire early(like rey should). :p

Marvel26

Reaction score
There are a few people coming up to wrestling retirement age. Udertaker, HBK, HHH, Kane, Batista. But they won't all retire at once. I think that there won't be two of these guys retire in the same year. They will at least leave a year between retirements so they can have all the limelight!

I think WWE needs to start prepping the younger generation for the step up. Use the guys who are at retireing age to put them over!