Question Series I: WWE Hall of Fame

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
So, for no apparent I've gotten the idea to create a thread series where I can just ask the forum members a series of questions on a particular topic. This week's topic is the WWE Hall of Fame (Y'know, with the debut of the Pulse Hall of Fame and all). I would love for all you folks to jump in on this and start getting some activity going on in the section. So I'll just post questions here and you can copy and paste them into your response and fill in your answers, please.

ALSO, in case you're wondering why this isn't in the WWE section, I want all the Question Series to be based in one forum, and since the Classic & General is the most broad forum, I figured I'd base them all here. This one in particular pertains almost entirely to WWE, but the ones in the future will cover a broader spectrum, so bear with me.

1. How big of an honor do you consider the WWE Hall of Fame?

2. Does it ruin the Hall of Fame's prestige to induct non-WWE competitors, those like Abdullah The Butcher and Nick Bockwinkel, or is it only fair?

3. Thoughts on celebrity inductees?

4. Who goes in next year, in your opinion?

5. Do you believe Chris Benoit has earned a spot in the Hall of Fame?

6. Do you think there's a reason Randy Savage never got posthemously inducted, while even lesser stars such as Mike Graham and Peter Maivia got in the year of their deaths?

--------------

Just copy these questions and answer. I'll post a response if I can get one or two replies. Thanks to all who partake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage

Considering McMahon's limo driver is in, I don't see it as that big of an honour. That's coming from an outsider's perspective. I'm sure the wrestlers consider it an honour.

2. Does it ruin the Hall of Fame's prestige to induct non-WWE competitors, those like Abdullah The
Butcher and Nick Bockwinkel, or is it only fair?

Not really, once again, if McMahon's limo driver is in, pretty much anyone can get in.

Celebrities have been a part of WWE culture since Vince McMahon went national, so I see no issue with them having their own wing.

The only one I could see for sure would be Lawrence Taylor in the celebrity wing (if WWE is cool with his past transgressions) since he's a former Giant. Outside of that I'd like to see Rick Rude, Jake Roberts and Bam Bam Bigelow (he was from New Jersey after all) get in. I'd really like to see Savage go in as well.

Yes I do, but he'll never be inducted.

6. Do you think there's a reason Eddie Guerrero or Randy Savage never got posthemously inducted, while even lesser stars such as Mike Graham and Peter Maivia got in the year of their deaths?

Eddie Guerrero was inducted at the HoF show in 2006, which was less than a year after his death. Not sure what the deal is with Savage, but I do not believe it has anything to do with bad blood between he and Vince.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Obviously any sort of recognition from your peers is an honour, but let's face it it's also mostly a publicity stunt. Those on good terms with Vince and are available WM weekend are most likely to get in, for example Edge gets in now because he's a recognisable star who can sell tickets (since, y'know this is actually a show too, they still need to make money).

2. Does it ruin the Hall of Fame's prestige to induct non-WWE competitors, those like Abdullah The Butcher and Nick Bockwinkel, or is it only fair?
No, they wrestled, they have as much right as anyone else to be recognised by WWE for their efforts in the industry.

Again, mostly a publicity thing.

No idea, could be anyone. Maybe Foley since they're in the area and he's back in WWE's good books.

Yes, and let's leave it at that.

6. Do you think there's a reason Randy Savage never got posthemously inducted, while even lesser stars such as Mike Graham and Peter Maivia got in the year of their deaths?
Maivia was purely a ploy to get an appearance out of the Rock. Clearly Macho's death as not enough to clear the issue between him and Vince. Besides, it's been said that Savage won't go in without the rest of his family and maybe WWE don't see that as being worth the hassle.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
For a wrestler I like to think it's a huge honor and it's one way to confirm that you'll be remembered all throughout time.

Eh. If you're going to induct Drew Carey, you may as well throw Abby and others in. Plus, guys like Abby and Nick as I have mentioned were part of the reason wrestling became so popular leading up to the 80's, when Vince decided it was time to go national. Abby got the Puerto Ricans and others invested, and Nick was a huge draw for AWA. When WWF went national, fans of those sorts turned to WWF. So yeah, no harm done.

Ok in some cases. I don't think a one-off appearance should land you a spot in the Hall of Fame, whether it be at WrestleMania or not. Someone like Cyndi Lauper deserves an induction because she launced WWE to new heights, but when Snooki goes in for her one WrestleMania appearance, I'll quite likely be pissed.

Realistically speaking, we could see Giant Baba as the foreign induction, maybe Rene Goulet, The Valiant Brothers, and the main attraction of Mick Foley.

Yeah. He won't go in, as mentioned before, but if we're looking at his career in retrospect, he deserves his spot.

Mike Graham was a fluke. Peter Maivia is a respectable figure and it got Rock coming back around. If the rumor is true about Savage wanting to get the rest of his family in, I'd say go for it. Leapin' Lanny was a wrestler and manager for the WWF and Angelo Poffo was a fairly successful promoter. It'd only be a proper show of respect...

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score

Not an honor at all. The WWE HoF is an absolute joke. I may have taken it more seriously if they didn't include random celebrities or Koko B. Ware, as well as certain people making it in before much more deserving stars. Basically, if you are on Vince's shit list, you have less of a chance getting in, regardless of how much you deserve it. The HoF shouldn't be about who Vince likes more, it should be about the impact a wrestler has had.

Yes. It's the WWE HALL OF FAME. I have no idea why they thought of inducting non-WWE wrestlers, it makes no sense.

Awful, unless they had something big to do with wrestling, like Cyndi Lauper. She helped bring together rock and wrestling. I would say that is deserving, not shit like Drew Carey, who has fuck all to do with anything in wrestling.

Jake the Snake
Miss Elizabeth
Macho Man
Undertaker

Absolutely. He is one of the best tech wrestlers to ever grace the business, and this is coming from someone who was never a fan. The HoF is about what someone did IN the ring, not OUTSIDE of it. Inducting him does not mean people agree with what happened but society is full of idiots who can't understand this.

No doubt in my mind that Vince still had a small grudge over the whole Randy/Stephanie 'rumours'. It seems like Vince has put at least some of that grudge aside to allow Macho Man to be included in games but perhaps that small amount of inner anger is keeping Randy out of the HoF.

If Randy ever gets in, I think it is only right if he goes in with Miss Elizabeth. It wouldn't be the same if they went in any other way.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
if I were a wrestler I would be greatly honored...it's the highest profile HoF they have...

No because the E owns the rights to most all of the other promotions tapes and such at this point anyway..if they wanna honor others that paved the way why the fuck not..negro leaguers are in the baseball hall of fame...CBA in the NBA this is the same

they are fine...it's always been hand in hand with WWF anyway...some of the ones they pick are luke warm at best...but it is what it is

Savage and the Poffos w/Elizabeth, Bam Bam, The New Age Outlaws, Paul Heyman

in the Child killing hall of fame yes

with the alleged bad blood I think Vince might be holding off a year so it doesnt seem like he is just doing it cuz Savage died

Sabretooth

Reaction score
1. How big an honor do you consider the wwe Hall of Fame.

I'm sure the wrestlers consider it a great honor because of everything they achieved in their careers. They gave their bodies for 20 years and they are now being rewarded by the fans and their peers.

2. Does it ruin the Hall of Fame's prestige to induct non-wwe competitors, those like Abdullah the Butcher and Nick Bockwinkel, or is it only fair.

It does not ruin the prestige. Just because they havnt competed in wwe doesn't mean they don't deserve to go in. Just because it's called the wwe hall of fame its really to honor all wrestlers. Ricky Steamboat doesn't really deserve to go in based on his wwf/wwe career. So it doesn't take away the prestige.

Don't really care. They dedicated one night of their lives to wwe so why not.

4. Who goes in the next year?

The Rock, The Undertaker, Randy Macho Man and his family, Rick Rude, Mick Foley

5. Do you believe that Chris Benoit has earned a spot in the HOF?

This really isn't a good question. If you base it on his wrestling career than absolutely. But if you include what he did to his family than no not at all. He should burn in hell.

6. Do you think there's a reason Randy Savage never got posthemously inducted but lesser stars such as mike Graham and Peter maivia got in the year after they died?

Randy said he didn't want to be inducted unless his whole family got inducted. But since they never really did much in the wrestling business, wwe has been deciding for years whether to agree to his terms or not. Now that he's dead, he may never be inducted.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
6. Do you think there's a reason Randy Savage never got posthemously inducted but lesser stars such as mike Graham and Peter maivia got in the year after they died?

Randy said he didn't want to be inducted unless his whole family got inducted. But since they never really did much in the wrestling business, wwe has been deciding for years whether to agree to his terms or not. Now that he's dead, he may never be inducted.

That last part is very debatable. That's like saying the Malenko family never did anything for the business. Boris was an awesome manager and promoter, Dean had his glory, and Joe.... well.... he was around to witness it all. The Poffos and The Malenkos are far from being Harts or Von Erichs, but did their fair share for the business, and if Abdullah The Butcher can get in for his limited amount of fame, so can The Poffo family. Especially considering Lanny and Randy both competed in the WWE.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Not to mention Angelo Poffo ran ICW for years, which was one of the stronger territorial promotions. To say the Poffo family didn't do much in the wrestling business is pure ignorance.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Doing a few things here and there doesn't mean you should be in the HoF

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Doing a few things here and there doesn't mean you should be in the HoF

Running an entire promotion that fed talent to the WWF can hardly be construed as "a few things here and there" dude. And aside from Angelo, Randy's brother Lanny was a longtime wrestler and manager. Again, to say that the family isn't worthy of induction is being ignorant. They did more than enough to merit inclusion in the HoF but then again why the hell should I care about the HoF anyways?

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Lanny did nothing in WWF except job

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
(cough cough) by countout (cough cough)

Spare me your pitiful attempts at sarcasm, the fact remains that I refuted your statement about him only ever jobbing. Besides, how many people can claim a win over Hogan in any form from 1984 to 1990?