Punk leaving WWE soon?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Flash

Reaction score
As one source pointed out, Punk has been something of an "Iron Man" for the company, working full-time on the road with the exception of his hip injury needing to be rehabbed last year. At the same time, despite delivering with whatever was handed to him creatively, Punk has watched as other talents developed since he debuted ended up pushed as bigger names and treated as more important than Punk, including Miz and Alberto Del Rio.

Not saying this because i'm anti-everything toward Punk but theres a reason for that, Miz and Del Rio are actually charismatic, they are actually entertaining in the ring which is something i feel that Punk lacks. They are more deserving of title opportunities and pushes over him. Punk had 3 title reigns that really amounted to nothing, the only thing memorable was the Jeff Hardy feud.

Now i'll just sit back and wait for someone like Pyro to rip me to shreds :side:

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
The guy should be at the stage now with the company where they realise he's a top tier talent and should be given time off like the others.
He isn't though. He is a poor mans Jericho and they let real one walk twice and return down the line. He busts his ass in that ring, can talk up a storm, but at the end of the day he is nothing more than a transitional champ or star of a brand in transition.

He is no go to guy and his ceiling isn't high like Cena's or Miz's when it comes to reaching an audience of more than wrestling fans. He doesn't appeal to a demographic like Rey and Del Rio. He isn't the guy who can be a monster at any time like a pissed off Kane or Big Show. He isn't the 3rd generation, relatively young and highly over pretty boy like Orton. He also isn't a guy who can appeal to the old fan, current fan, and new fan like Taker and HHH can.

His place is that of upper mid carder, but he will never be the man on the A brand. He will never be the big draw, merch pusher, headliner of events during an upswing, or guy who goes in and as a heel with a stacked deck and can seriously be thought of as prevailing versus the underdog face like a truly great heel will. He just has his limits; some of you might not like them but it is clear as day what they are.

I know that Mak, Pyro, Sal, and even you will want to say differently and call me out for it, but you can't really cite anything factual in his WWE run that says anything different from what I just posted. I'd bet you also can't tell me that you honestly believe, not want, but believe Punk is close to an equal with a chance of winning when put against Cena, Rey, Big Show, or Orton even with SES and Nexus as his stables. Miz, Orton, Dave, Edge, Taker, HHH, HBK, and those guys never didn't have a legit believable, not wishful, but believable chance to win in a big match environment as a heel; Punk however has always been the guy who they book to fall flat on his face with everything in his favor at every stage, in short a joke of a threat to the main guys.

And at the end of the day if you are Vince, you know he is too big for ROH and has had it way worse at TNA, so you don't kiss his ass. You just let it play out, how it plays it because while losing Punk hurts, he isn't a top tier level star to make a difference and you have lost far better and more important when it comes to the bottom line.

That is 100% Real Talk!

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Not even gonna get into that whole Punk is Jericho stuff again. And Mike I know you don't like Punk at all and I can respect that but even the biggest Punk hater could probably admit that the man is charismatic as fuck.

Punk really has been full stop for years now. Biggest break he had was when he cracked his skull and even then he came back sooner than he was supposed to. I see something being worked out in the end and even if he sign something soon I don't see him going anywhere else.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
Not saying this because i'm anti-everything toward Punk but theres a reason for that, Miz and Del Rio are actually charismatic, they are actually entertaining in the ring which is something i feel that Punk lacks. They are more deserving of title opportunities and pushes over him. Punk had 3 title reigns that really amounted to nothing, the only thing memorable was the Jeff Hardy feud.

Now i'll just sit back and wait for someone like Pyro to rip me to shreds :side:

God damn you're an idiot. I mean.....geez. I'm not even gonna tell you WHY you're wrong because you already know, I just can't believe that somebody on this planet could actually believe this shit.

SAL

Reaction score
He isn't though. He is a poor mans Jericho and they let real one walk twice and return down the line. He busts his ass in that ring, can talk up a storm, but at the end of the day he is nothing more than a transitional champ or star of a brand in transition.

He is no go to guy and his ceiling isn't high like Cena's or Miz's when it comes to reaching an audience of more than wrestling fans. He doesn't appeal to a demographic like Rey and Del Rio. He isn't the guy who can be a monster at any time like a pissed off Kane or Big Show. He isn't the 3rd generation, relatively young and highly over pretty boy like Orton. He also isn't a guy who can appeal to the old fan, current fan, and new fan like Taker and HHH can.

His place is that of upper mid carder, but he will never be the man on the A brand. He will never be the big draw, merch pusher, headliner of events during an upswing, or guy who goes in and as a heel with a stacked deck and can seriously be thought of as prevailing versus the underdog face like a truly great heel will. He just has his limits; some of you might not like them but it is clear as day what they are.

I know that Mak, Pyro, Sal, and even you will want to say differently and call me out for it, but you can't really cite anything factual in his WWE run that says anything different from what I just posted. I'd bet you also can't tell me that you honestly believe, not want, but believe Punk is close to an equal with a chance of winning when put against Cena, Rey, Big Show, or Orton even with SES and Nexus as his stables. Miz, Orton, Dave, Edge, Taker, HHH, HBK, and those guys never didn't have a legit believable, not wishful, but believable chance to win in a big match environment as a heel; Punk however has always been the guy who they book to fall flat on his face with everything in his favor at every stage, in short a joke of a threat to the main guys.

And at the end of the day if you are Vince, you know he is too big for ROH and has had it way worse at TNA, so you don't kiss his ass. You just let it play out, how it plays it because while losing Punk hurts, he isn't a top tier level star to make a difference and you have lost far better and more important when it comes to the bottom line.

That is 100% Real Talk!

STOP. STOP IT. SERIOUSLY. Stop talking about having a "legitimate chance to win a match." They're scripted. You seem to think that guys like Jericho and Punk are lower-tier talents than the other guys you mentioned. And you're clearly missing the fact that you think that because WWE HAS DECIDED THAT YOU SHOULD THINK THAT. Everyone you mentioned "looks good" or "is a star" because WWE deemed it be so. Name one thing HHH can do that Jericho or Punk can't. There isn't one. And don't say "control a crowd" or "draw in the casuals." He can do that because WWE goes out of its way to make him look good. He was interesting 5, 10 years ago, and now he's just there and he gets a pop because WWE props him up.

Punk and Jericho aren't on that level, you say. And I agree. But it has nothing to do with their level of talent and everything to do with WWE choosing to market them as niche guys. The reality of what you say is true, but you have the cause and effect backwards. And when you say something like "well, Punk can't realistically beat Orton," they could change your mind about that in 5 fucking minutes if they wanted to.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
I'd actually go as far as saying that Orton can't realistically beat Punk. Punk would have Orton crying on the ground in 3 minutes in a legit fight. You can tell it's fake when a glorified male stripper can dismantle anybody he wants.

AF.

Reaction score
Punk is finished and has been since he lost to Orton at Mania, lost to Mysterio last year and failed with the SES. I don't mind the bloke, considering he is a 3 time World Champion and when you look at him, the man has overachieved. WWE has given him everything. I don't feel sorry for the bloke at all, he's had a good career, hasn't had the chance to show everything he's got other than the Hardy feud.

Aside from the fact that the mans a great talent, he doesn't have much more to offer that he hasn't done already. He was pushed to the moon, got semi-over, had a nice run at the top and now it's time for the WWE to try other guys. Same shit has happened to Sheamus, Swagger, the best of their careers is sadly behind them at such an early stage.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
He might be going in July, as he's not advertised for a house show in Illinois:

Interesting to note, especially since it's in Illinois, that conspicuous by his absence in the advertised roster for the show is CM Punk, so it appears that if he does indeed leave the company, it will be by 7/30.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
If that's the case, I hope Punk gets "killed off" really well as opposed to just vanishing (or a slapjob punt to the head sort of thing like Jericho). It sucks that Punk's character isn't really doing anything lately, not since Wrestlemania (and even that fued with Orton was pretty flat and uninteresting).

AF.

Reaction score
Punk has overachieved in this business, he is definitely not the demographic WWE usually goes for, the fact that they have given him 3 World Titles should please him.

What's he gonna do when he leaves WWE? He seems like the type of guy who lives and breathes wrestling and WWE is the pinnacle company, there is nowhere else to go.

Of course, if he wants to do Indy stuff then good for him, but it'll be a massive mistake if he leaves.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Just seems like if he leaves WWE it is temp from being burnt out some. He is way too big for the indy's now as he has done everything there so I don't think it has anything to do with a push.

rhetts jetski

Reaction score
I'd rather him leave if he is burnt out on the schedule than stay and start resenting it, giving us sub standard performances. I think Punk is a lifer, he'll never go to TNA and even if he does do a few indy appearances; I think he'll always find his way back to the E.

Whatever happens, it'll be interesting to see how they write him off TV if it comes to that.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
An update, that's not even an update

- The latest word on CM Punk's WWE status is that he is still planning on taking a leave of absence. Those close to the situation say Punk feels like he hasn't been treated like a top guy. WWE officials are aware of how Punk is feeling.
You can tell they're trying to butter him up with a win over both Rey & Cena in the space of a month. Will be interesting to see if they have the nuts to put him over Rey on PPV though, which I highly doubt they will.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
If management knows Punk is preparing to take a leave of absence then no way is he going over Rey.