Punk isn't a full babyface yet, maybe a tweener?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

BaraaKhalaf92

Champion
Reaction score
Okay...During the Punk/Heyman promo on Monday, Punk was so emotional in a way that I have never seen him before, nut what distracted me the most was that he obviously isn't a babyface as many think he is, at least not yet.
That was especially proven when he said to Paul that "he is not like them *while pointing at the crowd* and that he doesn't have to lie to him". That was clearly an act that a babyface wouldn't do.

So is Punk a Tweener now?
Or is he still turning and the turn isn't complete yet?

Discuss.

Roi

Champion
Reaction score
Same as Ziggler I guess

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Baraa the booking in WWE has shifted since Payback. Faces are less cookie cutter and more logical at this point. Punk can both be a babyface and take a little jab at the crowd. Just because a face has some edge to his character doesn't mean he is a tweener.

Varus

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I love what he is doing right now. Call me crazy but I thought he was quite boring as a heel. We also get way better matches out of him when he's a face.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Baraa the booking in WWE has shifted since Payback. Faces are less cookie cutter and more logical at this point. Punk can both be a babyface and take a little jab at the crowd. Just because a face has some edge to his character doesn't mean he is a tweener.

They'll probably go ahead and ruin this now and have Punk & Ziggler team up against ADR and some other generic heel and have Punk/Ziggler smile after winning and hug. God dammit Dolph's.

But yeah I agree. Let's hope this continues.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I just hear people throw around the term tweener way too often. Punk is not a tweener, DB is not a tweener, Orton is not a tweener. Those are faces.

The one tweener I recognize in wrestling right now is Aries. He can get boo'd and cheered equally in the same promo. He can wrestle a heel, work as the face and get cheered. He can wrestle a face, work as the heel and get boo'd. He is dat dude

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Not sure what Dolph is. A face who attacks Y2J? A heel who attacks ADR?

He's a babyface bro. He was justified in the audience's eyes to attack ADR because of ADR targeting his concussion to win that match. He was justified in attacking Y2J because Y2J hit him with a codebreaker the week before. In a vacuum those attacks may be heelish, but Ziggler is responding logically, and that doesn't change his status as a face.

A tweener gets boos and cheers. Ziggler just gets cheers.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Tweener isn't about what reactions they get, it's about what actions they do. You have babyfaces who are good, heels who are bad, and tweeners who are a bit of both. Cena gets boo'd and cheered and isn't a tweener.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Tweener isn't about what reactions they get, it's about what actions they do. You have babyfaces who are good, heels who are bad, and tweeners who are a bit of both. Cena gets boo'd and cheered and isn't a tweener.

Somewhat true, it is more about the reactions they are going after. You say it is about the actions they do, but there will always be babyfaces who do things typically viewed as 'heel actions'

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
The whole tweener concept is just trying to sound intelligent imo, you're either a protagonist or an antagonist. It's not about morality rather your role in the story. You can be a good guy with questionable morals but you're still a good guy (Austin) or you're a bad guy who's being reasonable you're still the villain of the piece.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Tweener is certainly a mix of reactions from the crowd as well as the actions of the individual and the way WWE books them in terms of who they feud with, but I would also still consider everyone either a face or a heel. As mentioned, it's possible to exhibit almost entirely heel actions, but as long as you're cheered and as long as you are booked predominantly against other heels, you're pretty much a baby face. Steve Austin being the biggest example. A guy they wanted to shape into the biggest heel in WWF but his popularity just kept growing and they were forced to book him as a face (i.e against other heels.) But they hardly changed his character a bit. He wouldn't insult the audience or anything as he sometimes would previously, but he wouldn't go out of his way not to attack the other fan favorites they cheered for either.

As for the topic, Punk said: "...for the first time in your life, I want you to tell me the truth because I'm not them. And don't lie to me and don't try manipulate me like you lie and manipulate to everybody else, this is me standing here! And I can take it."

All he meant was that the fans are merely fans and spectators and they don't know Heyman personally like the way he does, so Punk wants Heyman to be straight with him rather than lie to him and jerk him around like he does everyone else. Punk didn't really insult the crowd or talk down to them.

PainINClmc

Jobber
Reaction score
I think he's kinda the Stone Cold style face. I chalk that up to his wolverine style mutton chops. I hope that he kinda goes the renegade route and some how begins leading the shield. Though, that is just my opinion.

Dat Kid1

King of smurf Style
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I wouldn't say faces like it was the majority. Ziggler, Bryan and Punk are really the only ones who come to mind. The majority of faces are still very cookie cutter