Prometheus (2012)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
He certainly didn't.

I'm more pumped for our weekly live watch than before. And Aliens is my all time favorite in the franchise.
This has has me so stoked I want to watch the Alien vs. Predator films too. Yeah, I said it.
I think an LD is about the only way I'd watch either of the AVP films again. At least there'd be others around to make fun of the movies with me. :lol:

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I think an LD is about the only way I'd watch either of the AVP films again. At least there'd be others around to make fun of the movies with me. :lol:
TBF I vowed never to watch them again but here I am wanting to again! And that would tons of fun, tearing them apart! :lol:

I mainly want watch them to pick up the continuity and see if it matches with Prometheus, I'm hoping Ridley doesn't poke too many holes.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
“Prometheusâ€￾ is not a a prequel and more

The June 8 premiere of “Prometheusâ€￾ is without a doubt one of the most hyped and anticipated film releases of the year. The movie held a panel at WonderCon in Anaheim Saturday, and debuted a new trailer while director Ridley Scott, writer Damon Lindelof and stars Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron set the record straight on some of the mystery surrounding the alleged “Alienâ€￾ prequel.

IFC participated in a press conference with Lindelof, Scott and Fassbender following the panel to get the facts straight on the upcoming project. While a range of topics were discussed (which you can read below), the most interesting response of the event came after we asked Lindelof whether potential sequels to “Prometheusâ€￾ would end up resulting in alien “Alienâ€￾ or set the series on its own unique path.

“Prometheusâ€￾ isn’t a prequel because it doesn’t end when “Alienâ€￾ begins
“This word ‘prequel’ was on the table. It was the elephant in the room and had to be discussed,â€￾ Lindelof said of the process of making “Prometheus.â€￾ “If there were a sequel to this movie that we’re working on — that eventually became ‘Prometheus’ — it would not be ‘Alien.’ Normally, that’s the definition of a prequel is it precedes the other movies.â€￾

He added, “This movie, hopefully, will contextualize the original ‘Alien’ so that when you watch it again, maybe you know a little bit more, but you don’t fuck around with that movie. It has to stand on its own. It’s a classic. But if we’re fortunate enough to do a sequel to ‘Prometheus,’ it will actually, I think, tangentalize even further away from the original ‘Alien.’â€￾

But have no fear, Ridley Scott fans, because Lindelof promised, “he’s given us the movie that I think we all want to see.â€￾

There are a lot of complexities to Fassbender’s android character
The biggest news out of the “Prometheusâ€￾ panel is that Fassbender plays an android named David. Instead of being treated like an equal, David is “a butler,â€￾ “a housekeeper,â€￾ a “maintenance manâ€￾ and “everythingâ€￾ servant-like for the humans aboard Prometheus, according to Scott. It’s also worth noting that Fassbender is awake for the two and a half years that the rest of the ship’s crew is in cryostatis, so he matures differently over that period of time.

“What does he do to amuse himself? And the idea that there was something of a little boy there, that he has to sort of rely on his imagination — imagination’s a very human trait — in order to keep himself occupied. The fact that he’s curious and how far will that curiosity go?â€￾ Fassbender teased. “He’s sort of used and sort of abused. And so, how does that make him feel, if robots can feel? But you’re always playing. You don’t want to sort of make a direct definite choice, you’re playing with the ambiguity that this robot’s starting to develop human personality.â€￾

Scott added, “There’s a great scene where [Logan Marshall-Green's character Charlie] Holloway, who is actually a bit of a bitch occasionally, says to him, ‘Hey, you, boy, with me.’ Like real cheeky. But then he says to you [Fassbender], ‘Why are you wearing one of our suits? You don’t need to breathe.’ And it ends up with you saying, ‘Not too close, I hope.’ Referring to being, ‘Ah, we’re making you guys just like us.’ The android retorts with a great sense of humor, ‘Not too close, I hope.’ You don’t know whether who’s insulting who there. So that’s when his turnabout starts to occur.â€￾Damon Lindelof wanted to create Ridley Scott’s vision of “Prometheusâ€￾
“It would have been really difficult to do a straight up ‘Alien’ sequel or ‘Alien’ prequel because you’re beholden to so many of the things that came before it, so to be able to shed that stuff and, you know, this is Ridley’s idea, so from a screenwriting standpoint, for me, it was really just all about getting a clear sense of what was the movie that he wanted to make.â€￾

A lot of thought went into the technology in the film
“We think about everything down to the shoelaces. There was even a big argument about the globular helmets. I was certain I wanted the fully spherical glass helmet,â€￾ Scott said. “I’m in 2083 and I’m going to space, why would I design a helmet that has blind spots when what I want is a globular helmet, a 360, and glass by then will be as light as this [lifts up a water bottle] and you won’t be able to break it with a bullet.â€￾

Damon Lindelof is impressed with the fans for staying invested in “Prometheusâ€￾
“I’ve been astonished by the patience of the fan base in terms of how little we’re telling them about the movie. There does seem to be we’re doing this dance together as filmmakers where people want to know more about it and we say, ‘Do you really want to know?’ and they say, ‘No no no no no! We don’t. We actually, we just want to go into the movie not knowing if there’s a bomb under the table or not or when it’s going to go off,’â€￾ Lindelof explained. “Ridley has always had a tremendous amount of faith in the audience’s intelligence and he directs in a way and tells stories in a way that you come up to them as opposed to it talks down to you, and I feel like ‘Prometheus’ is a proud member of that thing he does so well.â€￾

It’s hard to judge a score by its cover
“The score is, again, always a challenge. Every element you put in, you’re always trying to find something else and before it’s done, it’s not written, everything’s abstract,â€￾ Scott said. “You don’t really know what you’re going to get until you’re actually in Abbey Road — which is where I did all the music, in the Beatles place — and you start to hear it then and then you really notice it when you start putting it onto the film. So everything’s trial and error, and you’re always looking at finding something more.â€￾

Ridley Scott explains his two favorite horror films
The two projects that Scott said he “never got overâ€￾ were “Texas Chainsaw Massacreâ€￾ and the first “Exorcistâ€￾ film. He laments the fact that there have been “90,000 clones of those ideas.â€￾

This movie has so much potential. Cant wait to see it.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I am so excited for this movie. It is in my list of going to the theater to see movies.

I liked the first AVP movie. The second one sucked though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
BIG NEWS.....

From Collider.com

During my on-camera interview with Scott we talked about how much fun he had making Prometheus and his desire to do the sequel, the difficulty in tackling serious issues when a movie costs so much, what will be on the eventual Blu-ray/DVD, director’s cuts, and more. In addition, Scott talks about a possible scene from the Blade Runner sequel and reveals the Prometheus Blu-ray might have 20 to 30 minutes of deleted scenes and describes one of them.
20-30 extra minutes? I think I just jizzed.

There's also been a lot of early talk for the sequel, as it appears Scott always intended to make two films. YES YES YES!!!

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
BIG NEWS.....

20-30 extra minutes? I think I just jizzed.

There's also been a lot of early talk for the sequel, as it appears Scott always intended to make two films. YES YES YES!!!
Normally I'd be all for a sequel but I'm going to hold my reservations about it until I know more about it.

Thirty extra minutes in the cut and another thirty in deleted is definitely jizz worth.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Normally I'd be all for a sequel but I'm going to hold my reservations about it until I know more about it.
The following can be gleaned from Scott's interview with Collider...

From what we’ve gathered here, the follow-up will most definitely center on Elizabeth and David traveling to where the Engineers came from. We’ll most likely see Elizabeth try to answer the question of why humanity’s maker felt Earth deserved destruction, but Scott makes it clear that the Engineers are not nice people and this “Paradise” is not all rainbows and happiness. The director seems high on tackling issues of religion and that may or may not play a role in the explanation for humanity’s fate, but it’s a bit too early to start waxing poetic on what the themes of this possible sequel might be.
As long as Scott's making it, I'm down, but he better hurry up because he's already 76 years old! I'm pretty sure I have the engineer's reasoning behind why they wanted to do what they were planning to do to us down, so I really want to see if I'm right.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The following can be gleaned from Scott's interview with Collider...

As long as Scott's making it, I'm down, but he better hurry up because he's already 76 years old! I'm pretty sure I have the engineer's reasoning behind why they wanted to do what they were planning to do to us down, so I really want to see if I'm right.

My reservations are about where the Alien prequel comes into play. I loved Prometheus as is and will love the sequel as described above. But at some point we need to be on LV-426 with a XenoQueen.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
My reservations are about where the Alien prequel comes into play. I loved Prometheus as is and will love the sequel as described above. But at some point we need to be on LV-426 with a XenoQueen.

It's possible that LV-426 is the engineer's home world, though I doubt it given that it seems just like LV-223 in design. My guess is that they'd go the route of Elizabeth and David finding the home world and then having to pursue another engineer which causes them to sacrifice themselves to take it out in orbit around LV-426, leading to the ship and potentially the beacon from Alien.

How they get to the Queen is a different problem, as its clear to me that there needs to be an evolutionary period between these two films (given the ending of Prometheus).

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
It's possible that LV-426 is the engineer's home world, though I doubt it given that it seems just like LV-223 in design. My guess is that they'd go the route of Elizabeth and David finding the home world and then having to pursue another engineer which causes them to sacrifice themselves to take it out in orbit around LV-426, leading to the ship and potentially the beacon from Alien.

How they get to the Queen is a different problem, as its clear to me that there needs to be an evolutionary period between these two films (given the ending of Prometheus).

Agreed. I don't mind a long story to get there and keep it as different from Alien in the mean time as long as we get there eventually. I've just heard interviews that scared me into thinking he was going to throw away the Alien set up completely.

Yeah, it's clear the birthed species is an ancestor species and not quite the one we're familiar with. It's pretty cool when you think about how much DNA breeding went into creating the "perfect organism".

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Agreed. I don't mind a long story to get there and keep as different from Alien in the mean time as long as we get there eventually. I've just heard interviews that scared me into thinking he was going to throw away the Alien set up completely.

I'd be scared if I didn't trust Scott so much. It's pretty well known that he's hated all the Alien sequels (except MAYBE Cameron's but that's not even a definite) and so views his original as the one true version of that film. It would make sense for him to make two films that led into that one, creating a nice trilogy of sorts.

Also, I figured I should spoiler this for those who haven't seen it yet but...

Did it seem pretty obvious to you that the being that attacked the engineer in the lifepod was a giant facehugger? It was very similar in design once it flopped down on him. Obviously that particular creature would evolve to become smaller, so they'll have to do that. As for the Alien at the end, I just thought of something else. They really don't have to do much for its evolution, since it was birthed from an engineer, so it would stand to reason that it would look different than the ones that birth from humans. Does that make sense?

EDIT: Actually, it should be almost the same as the one's that come out of us given that we share the same DNA with the engineers, though they are bigger than us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I'd be scared if I didn't trust Scott so much. It's pretty well known that he's hated all the Alien sequels (except MAYBE Cameron's but that's not even a definite) and so views his original as the one true version of that film. It would make sense for him to make two films that led into that one, creating a nice trilogy of sorts.
That's more or less what I was referring to in that it scares me because he's not a fan of the sequels.

But after seeing how amazing Prometheus was, I think I'll hold out hope.

Also, I figured I should spoiler this for those who haven't seen it yet but...

Did it seem pretty obvious to you that the being that attacked the engineer in the lifepod was a giant facehugger? It was very similar in design once it flopped down on him. Obviously that particular creature would evolve to become smaller, so they'll have to do that. As for the Alien at the end, I just thought of something else. They really don't have to do much for its evolution, since it was birthed from an engineer, so it would stand to reason that it would look different than the ones that birth from humans. Does that make sense?

EDIT: Actually, it should be almost the same as the one's that come out of us given that we share the same DNA with the engineers, though they are bigger than us.
It did seem obvious to be a facehugger. I was marking out quite a bit once a saw it; especially when the mouth tentacle came out!!!

Actually I agree with your original assessment, I think it still has some more evolving before we see the creature we're familiar with and I do think it coming from an engineer, even if we share DNA, has something to do with it. Even if not by much.

I just can't wait until we see the QUEEN!!!

It's definitely a prequel. I'd say that based on this clip with Guy Pearce as Peter Weyland...

[video=youtube;hUxdAWrsag8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUxdAWrsag8[/video]
BTW why wasn't this in the film DAMMIT!!! :lol:

Cyrus Riddle

Reaction score
I've heard so much about this movie, and apparently it's good considering Fuji and Heel both changed their names, avatars, and sigs. Guess I have no choice but to check it out now, I need to pay more attention to the theaters apparently.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I've heard so much about this movie, and apparently it's good considering Fuji and Heel both changed their names, avatars, and sigs. Guess I have no choice but to check it out now, I need to pay more attention to the theaters apparently.

If you go, make sure to spend the extra and see it in 3D (or preferably IMAX 3D if there's a theatre near you with it) because its incredible. Considering I hate 3D, that's pretty high praise.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I've heard nothing but bad about the movie, so I am going to wait until it comes out on Blu Ray.