Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Richards puts on great matches when he's with great guys, average matches with everyone else. (Been a few exceptions to that.) I'm not trying to say he didn't have a good year in '09, but overall and into the future...in the ROH thread I mentioned that guys like Erick Stevens and Brent Albright are good guys to have around, but ultimately aren't on the same level as the top workers. I think he's like that, while everywhere I see it seems like he's among the top 5 indy guys in NA at least. I just think he's not special.

But yeah, i'll concede he had a hot year. Personally, the KENTA match and the Ladder War were in my top 10. (But Edwards kind of made that match for me). Danielson match is up there. So sorry for jumping the gun on that, I thought you meant #1 overall.

Plus, Davey's too much of a prick. >_>

Welll i would say he was #1 last year. I would tend to agree the better his opponent is, the better his match will be, BUT you can't wrestle a student into a 4 star match. Just look at his mid card matches thought in ROH. Stuff like Davey vs. Claudio. That was a 4 star match of the night. Then how could i forget the American Wolves vs. STrong/Kenta. That was 4.25-4.5 stars and again match of the night. The fact is, he's normally in bigger matches, and doesn't wrestle the lower card guys. As far as his 09 work, in PWG i can't speak for but his ROH work is enough to put him at #1 in my book. Plus his DGUSA stuff was also great. RIchards/Shingo was another 4.5 star match. I haven't watched a ton of WWE/TNA in 09 but from reports no one is really putting on a bunch of great matches one after another.

Sorry to keep dragging this on, but i'm not sure if its fair to consider him a mid-level guy at this point. Or in the same league as Albright/Stevens. TO be fair, Richards has yet to be in the spotlight. Maybe he could fall off, once his given a solo-main event push. I guess you could consider him a mid level guy, but he's still putting on awesome matches.

Also too my opinion could be a little swayed by seeing him live, a lot in 2009 in some BIG matches. I saw Aries vs. Richards live, which is probably one of the greatest matches i've seen live. American Wolves vs. Strong/Kenta which is probably the best tag match i've seen live. THen Wolves vs. Steenerico, which was solid.

Hometown Kid

Nah, it's no problem, Monty. Talking about wrestling's what we're here for, right? But anyway, you make some valid points (except I wouldn't really consider the Strong/KENTA tag a midcard match.) But yeah, I was kinda rough on him but I still think he can make a few tweaks and get right up there and have no choice to give him props. But yeah, my opinion doesn't change much, even though in essence you're spot on by saying he doesn't work with lesser workers very often. Personally in 2009 I had him ranked 4th in NA behind Roddy, El Generico and Kevin Steen. (KENTA's 5th, and he was only around like 3 months. Just awesome.)

I think that's one thing this PWG title reign can help sway on, because almost all of their guys are green to working main events, plus the company can probably bring in the Young Bucks or someone from TNA, and if he's able to slow one of those guys down and adapt to someone like that, I think everyone will be proud of something like that.

Hometown Kid

Also, I can't imagine him repeating his 2009 in ROH. There's no AmDrag, no KENTA, and if he does get his expected Main event push, he'll likely be against Tyler Black for awhile, who i've been even more down on than Davey, even back to the AOTF days.

Also, something i've been wondering, how is Davey even in PWG? I remember reading somewhere that his ROH contract was exclusive. Are PWG and ROH sister companies or is the contract set up that way?

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

I don't know. I knew he had to more or less stop working for Dragon Gate USA because of his ROH contract but that may have something to do with Gabe Sapolsky.

Montana

I def. agree Davey isn't having a 2010 like his 2009, but should have a solid year i'd imagine. He's already had some good matches with Generico and Eddie Edwards, from what i've heard. I do think Roddy has a great year as well. I'm a big fan of steenerico, but I still think Richards is the top guy.

It will be interesting to see how he will do with the belt in ROH if he gets it. Personally i wouldn't have put the belt on the black, and would have had Strong or Richards beat Aries. Richards has never really been in a headline storyline like fued as well. Still a lot of ??? about the completeness of Richards, but at this point, ROH needs someone to get the fans talking, and its not Tyler Black.

Chuck Taylor's Grenade

Question-Do you think they took too long to pull the trigger on giving the belt to Black?

Montana

I'd say yes. They put the belt on Jerry Lynn for nothing. I liked the Aries reign, but seemed like they just did it to have a good personality as heel champ for TV. Probably would have made more sense to have Black beat Nigel....and have Black drop it to Richards/Strong right now.

Montana

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's Titannica takes place Saturday, April 10, 2010!
By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

Titanni, CA - By now, you may have heard that Davey Richards become the new Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion at As The Worm Turns, but if you hadn't already, you just did. It's true, you can look it up on our Results page. Or on Wikipedia. That's never wrong. ("I guess the capital of Ziarre really is 'Yourmother!'") But what you may not already know is that on Saturday, April 10, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla returns to American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA, for our next live event, Titannica! With the World Championship Title picture turned on its ear, and The Young Bucks on the verge of making World Tag Team Championship history, the eyes of the world… of independent wrestling fans in Southern California (and in isolated pockets of various regions, both nationally and internationally) will be on Reseda, CA, and Titannica on April 10, 2010!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
Davey Richards (Champion) vs. Roderick Strong (Challenger)

-- At As The Worm Turns in February, Davey Richards shocked the world… of independent wrestling fans, etc., by defeating then-Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion Kenny Omega. The shocking thing wasn't the fact that Richards won the title; his meteoric rise in the professional wrestling world, with Pro Wrestling Guerrilla serving as the epicenter, is well known. No, what was shocking was that Kenny Omega lost the World Championship in his first title defense. In 2009, Omega, much like Richards did in 2006, defied the odds by winning the Battle of Los Angeles, and many fans predicted great things for the newly crowned World Champion.

Omega came in to As The Worm Turns full of optimism, a full slate of title contenders awaited him after that night, he just needed to make it through Davey Richards. Omega had defeated Richards before (at Ninety-Nine), and he knew it would take everything in his power to defeat Richards again, but Omega would not be fighting at 100% capacity. Though he would never admit it, Kenny Omega was depleted after a rigorous touring schedule in Japan and a grueling series of flight from Japan to Canada, then to Los Angeles, and Davey Richards took full advantage of that fact. This allowed Davey Richards to not only avenge his 2009 loss to Omega, but to also become the new Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion. With one old score settled, Davey Richards already knew who he wanted as his first challenger: the man that defeated him at Threemendous II, Roderick Strong.

Roderick Strong has been in the upper echelon of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla since very nearly his first appearance in 2005, and is a tremendous competitor that seems to bring out the best in every opponent he faces. However, Roderick's success in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla has been limited almost exclusively to the Tag Team division, with multiple World Tag Team Championship Title reigns and two DDT4 tournament wins. That is not to say that Roderick Strong is not a capable single competitor, quite the contrary, in fact. Roderick Strong has challenged for the World Championship on numerous occasions, he has competed in four of the five Battle of Los Angeles tournaments, even making it to the finals in 2007 and 2009, but the title has always been just out of reach for him. At Titannica, Roderick Strong will face what could be the biggest single match of his Pro Wrestling Guerrilla career when he challenges Davey Richards for the World Championship. Davey is a man that Roderick has proven he is capable of defeating, but the World Championship is a title that has proven problematic for Roderick to obtain. Will Roderick Strong become just another footnote in the record books, or will he make history by becoming the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion, and making the second consecutive champion lose on their first title defense?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Match
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Champions) vs. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe - Challengers)

-- With The Young Bucks tying Davey Richards & Super Dragon's record for successful title defenses at As The Worm Turns, the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Board of Directors felt that if the Bucks were going to break such an important record, it wasn't going to be easy for them. But finding just the right team was proving tough. Davey Richards now has the responsibilities of a World Champion, and Super Dragon hasn't been heard from in years. The Bucks' oldest rivals, The Cutler Brothers, have gone 2-2 in their last four matches and just aren't "there" yet. But the idea of the Cutlers as potential challengers gave the Board of Directors a bit of inspiration. What if The Young Bucks were to defend the titles against another set of brothers, though a pair that were diametric opposites of The Young Bucks? What if they were to defend the titles against The Briscoe Brothers?

Jay and Mark Briscoe's history with Pro Wrestling Guerrilla has been tumultuous to say the least. After a series of unfortunate events and personal missteps, it seemed as if fans in Southern California had seen the last of the disagreeable Delawareans, but that is not the case. At Titannica, the unpredictable Briscoe Brothers will make their return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla in order to challenge The Young Bucks for the World Tag Team Championship. While The Young Bucks are slick and refined, the Briscoes are rough and tumble. While The Young Bucks love going to church and spending time with their families, the Briscoes love shooting guns and playing with their dogs. While The Young Bucks love having all their teeth, the Briscoes are pretty ok with having most of theirs. While The Young Bucks love being Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Champions, the Briscoes love beating the crap out of guys like The Young Bucks.

Singles Match
El Generico vs. "Intrepid Traveler" Paul London

-- When two good-natured heart of gold-types such as El Generico and Paul London are forced to square off in the professional wrestling world, it can sometimes be difficult for the two competitors to find the proper motivation. Obviously, there is always the vague notion of fame and championships when it comes to wrestling, but sometimes that's just not enough to make a sweet guy like Paul London want to hurt a honeybee like El Generico, or vice versa. It's one of the many difficulties that the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Board of Directors faces when putting together shows, but it is one difficulty that the Board is prepared to deal with. By now, many fans know that the plight of orphans in his native Tijuana is a cause that is very close to El Generico, but few fans realize that Paul London is a champion of the downtrodden children, as well. But where El Generico concerns himself with children in Northwestern Mexico, Paul London's concerns are galactic in scope: he is worried about space orphans.

While Paul London can certainly appreciate El Generico's efforts in rebuilding Los Angelitos de El Generico, London's dreams rest in the cosmos, where he hopes to build an orphanage in geosynchronous obit with the moon as a first strike against coming plague of space orphan-ism. Sensing that these causes are very close to both men's hearts, the Board of Directors has set aside a sum of money (up to $100,000. UP TO.) which will be donated to the construction efforts of the winner's facility. Now, both Paul London and El Generico have something equally important to fight for at Titannica, with only their pride to lose. The terrestrial and space orphans, on the other hand, stand to lose a potentially bright future, and will be forced to resign themselves to sleeping in gutters, or stowing away on interstellar cargo freighters for the rest of their days.

Tag Team Match
The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) vs. Johnny Goodtime & Jerome "LTP" Robinson

-- With the 2010 DDT4 tournament looming on the horizon, this match is of vital importance to both teams. While their record in multi-man matches is spotty recently, The Cutler Brothers have not lost a 2-on-2 tag team match since their loss to The Young Bucks in the opening round of 2009's DDT4. A victory over Johnny Goodtime and Jerome "LTP" Robinson would be a tremendous boost for Brandon and Dustin Cutler, who want nothing more than a shot at whichever pair of brothers leaves Titannica with the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship titles.

Goodtime and LTP, on the other hand, are looking at this year's DDT4 as their chance to leave their mark on the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla tag team division. A win over a powerhouse duo like The Cutler Brothers could not only potentially derail the Cutler's chances at making it in to the tournament, but it could also guarantee Goodtime and LTP a spot. From there, they would only be one night and three matches away from becoming the new Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Champions.

Singles Match
Joey Ryan vs. Christina Von Eerie

Singles Match
Brandon Gatson vs. Ryan Taylor

Singles Match
Brandon Bonham vs. Malachi "CK" Jackson

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's Titannica takes place Saturday, April 10, 2010, at 8:00 PM at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335. Front Row tickets are $25, and General Admission tickets are $20. Online tickets orders are subject to the PayPal Service Charge (2.9% + $0.30). Tickets purchased in advance allow for priority admittance to the venue, along with guaranteed event seating. Online tickets sales for this event will end on April 7, 2010 at 11:59PM. Any remaining tickets will be available for purchase at the door. Video recording devices are not permitted. Card subject to change.

NOW maybe we will see new tag champs.

Montana

Reaction score
Big show tonight....will the Young Bucks lose the straps to the Briscoe Brothers? Will the Briscoe Brothers even show up?

Montana

Reaction score
1. Brandon Bonham d. Malachi Jackson.

2. Brandon Gatson d. Ryan Taylor.

3. The Cutlers d. Johnny Goodtime and LTP via Tombstone Piledriver.

4. Paul London d. El Generico.

5. Joey Ryan d. Christina Von Eerie

6. Davey Richards d. Roderick Strong

7. Young Bucks d. The Briscoes

(WTF the Bucks win again!!)

Reaction score
I just watched this show yesterday and its a really good show that will probably get no press. PWG's undercard guys are wrestlers to look out for in the future, especially Gatson.

Montana

Reaction score
I'm not too big on Gatson. Could just be his whole look/gimmick. Big Show coming up July 30th.

Scott Lost Retirement Match
"The Professional" Scott Lost vs. Scorpio Sky
Davey Richards
(Champion) vs. Chris Hero (Challenger)
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Match
¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London - Champions)
vs.
Motor City Machine Guns (Chris Sabin & Alx Shelley - Challengers)
Singles Match
"American Dragon" Bryan Danielson vs. Roderick Strong
Tag Team Guerrilla Warfare Match
The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler)
vs.
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
Singles Match
Brandon Bonham
vs. Brian Cage
Six-Person Tag Team Match
Brandon Gatson
, Johnny Goodtime & Candice LeRae
vs.
Malachi "CK" Jackson, Ryan Taylor & Akira Tozawa

Reaction score
Cutlers vs. Bucks is the match I'm most looking foward to on this card. The matches the Bucks have had in PWG have been so epic, must see stuff.

Montana

Reaction score
Updated card due to shelly's injury.

Six-Person Tag Team Match
Brandon Gatson, Johnny Goodtime, & Candice LeRae vs. "Pretty" Peter Avalon, Malachi "CK" Jackson, & Ryan Taylor

Singles Match
Brandon Bonham vs. Brian Cage

Singles Match
Chris Sabin vs. Akira Tozawa

Bryan Danielson Return Match

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Three Way Guerrilla Warfare Match
¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London - Champions) vs. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler - Challengers) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Challengers)

Davey Richards (Champion) vs. Chris Hero (Challenger)

Scott Lost Retirement Match

Montana

Reaction score
This show looks pretty bad ass. I'm gonna have to check this one out.

1. Six-Person Tag Team Match
Brandon Gatson, Johnny Goodtime, & Candice LeRae vs. "Pretty" Peter Avalon, Malachi "CK" Jackson, & Ryan Taylor

- Candice got the pin with a moonsault. Fast paced opener with lots of dives.

2. Singles Match
Brandon Bonham vs. Brian Cage

- Bonham won with a Canadian destroyer. Crowd chanted "that was awesome" and "please come back" at cage

3. Singles Match
Chris Sabin vs. Akira Tozawa

- Tozawa pinned TNA's Sabin with a German suplex. Finish looked botched.

4. Scott Lost Retirement Match

- Crazy match with lots of high spots. Highlight was belly to belly suplex from inside the ring to outside. "this is wrestling" chants

Tons of nearfalls. Lost kept kicking out of Scorpio's finisher until finally a kick to the head ended it for Lost. Standing ovation after.

5. Bryan Danielson Return Match

- Danielson out to final countdown. Crowd threw in ties. He teased using one on ref. "cena got his fucking head kicked in" chants.

Strong used tie in Bryan and got huge pop. "you are fired!" chants. Bryan then used tied for even bigger pop. "you are hired!" chants

Bryan won with leg choke submission. He cut a promo afterwards. "I can't use that language, I am a PG wrestler. I am sometimes embarrassed to be a sports entertainer, but I am always proud to be a wrestler!" Bryan then put over the fans of PWG.

6. Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
Davey Richards (Champion) vs. Chris Hero (Challenger)

- Lots of near falls. Got really hot at the end. Davey retains with ankle lock with grapevine.

7. Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Three Way Guerrilla Warfare Match
¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London - Champions) vs. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler - Challengers) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Challengers)

- Chair shots, garbage cans, rakes, suplex through table with tacks.

London did moonsault to guys on outside and Generico did brainbustaaaa for the win!