Poll: "Curse" Words

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Are "curse" words bad???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Mojo

Reaction score
Is there really a such thing as a curse word??? I mean the words:

fuck, shit, bitch, etc

have been beeped or silenced on TV.

My question is why are they such a big deal and why are they bad

Bradders

Reaction score
Curse words are made up words designed to hurt people, hasn't affected me.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I'm not going to weigh in on the stupidity of people who are offended by a single word, so I'll just go over the etymology of our favourite curse words.

Fuck:

Some evidence indicates that in some English-speaking locales it was considered acceptable as late as the 17th century meaning "to strike" or "to penetrate

The usually accepted first known occurrence is in code in a poem in a mixture of Latin and English composed some time before 1500. The poem, which satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, takes its title, "Flen flyys", from the first words of its opening line, "Flen, flyys, and freris" (= "Fleas, flies, and friars"). The line that contains fuck reads "Non sunt in coeli, quia gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk". Removing the substitution cipher[2] on the phrase "gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk" yields "non sunt in coeli, quia fvccant vvivys of heli", which translated means "they are not in heaven because they fuck wives of Ely" (fvccant is a fake Latin form).[3] The phrase was coded likely because it accused some Church personnel of misbehaving; it is uncertain to what extent the word "fuck" was considered acceptable at the time.

Shit:

Scholars trace the word back to Old Norse origin (skīta), and it is virtually certain that it was used in some form by preliterate Germanic tribes at the time of the Roman Empire. It was originally adopted into Old English as scitte, eventually morphing into Middle English schītte. The word may be further traced to Proto-Germanic *skit-, and ultimately to Proto-Indo-European *skheid-, ". Ancient Greek language had 'skor' (root 'skat-' from which modern Greek 'skatá'). The words 'skítur' (noun) and 'skíta' (verb), still exist in the Icelandic language today, and in other Scandinavian languages variations of 'skit' are also often used.

Piss:

Middle English pissen < Old French pissier < Vulgar Latin pissiāre, probably of echoic origin

Cunt:

Cunt derives from a Germanic word (Proto-Germanic *kunton), which appeared as kunta in Old Norse. The Proto-Germanic form itself is of uncertain origin.[1] In Middle English it appeared with many different spellings such as queynte, which did not always reflect the actual pronunciation of the word. There are cognates in most Germanic languages, such as the Swedish, Faroese and Old Norwegian kunta, Frisian kunte, Dutch kut, and German kott. While kont in Dutch refers to the buttocks, kut is considered far less offensive in Dutch speaking areas than cunt is in the English speaking world. The etymology of the Proto-Germanic term is disputed. It may have arisen by Grimm's law operating on the Proto-Indo-European root *gen/gon = "create, become" seen in gonads, genital, gamete, genetics, gene, or the Proto-Indo-European root *gwneH2/guneH2 = "woman" seen in gynaecology. Relationships to similar-sounding words such as the Latin cunnus (vulva), and its derivatives French con, Spanish coño, and Portuguese cona, have not been conclusively demonstrated. Other Latin words related to cunnus: cuneatus, wedge-shaped; cuneo v. fasten with a wedge; (figurative) to wedge in, squeeze in, leading to English words like cuneiform (wedge-shaped).

Tits:

From Old English titt. Compare teat.

PeepShow

^LMAO Monkey, nice finds.

I really dont see the problem either. Thats just my thoughts. I really dont have to go into detail, b/c wel, I just really dont care.....lol

Reaction score
Anyone who is actually offended by something such as a single word is an idiot in my opinion, who really needs to get some priorities straight. Overbearing censorship exemplifies outright stupidity in my opinion. This is why a lot of the world is in such a shitty state right now, people focus for years on mere words, and how they are "harmful", instead trying to fix the world's real problems.

Exxon

Reaction score
Well, I do agree curse words are just words...but there's a time and place for everything. Like, I wouldn't walk into a daycare and be like "Yo bitch, where's the motherfucking washroom at? I gotta take a fucking shit"

Wordlife

^lol.. theres nothin wrong with em, I just wish they didnt beep em out on tv... like fox or nbc and stuff... and especially south park haha

MikeRaw

Well its because people have designed them to be bad.
If fuck and cat were reversed,I would be sonsidered rude by saying "Cat you"
But considered cool for having a fuck(cat)
So basically,they are just words but peoplle gave them the meaning intending them to be bad..
But I dont find it offensive really....
So CAT YOU

Great One

It can be thrown into the same category as religion, as a matter of fact, religion is probably the main reason why they're so "bad". =(

The A-man

Reaction score
Well, the degree of curse words (or profanity), such as 'the F word' usually depends upon the views and morale of the indivduals as a single or whole. 'The F world' can mean the sexual act to some while it may mean nothing to anyone else.

Some people do believe that these kinds of terms do have a sense of taboo associated with them, are simply offensive by themselves, regardless of any context in which they are used; others will find profanities offensive mainly when used in a way deliberately to insult, but less offensive in other areas, such as a neutral exclamation.

Curse words may, and can, cause offence, regardless of use, if they have some religious meaning which may cause their use to offend those who follow a particular religion. The original meaning of the term was restricted to blasphemy, sacrilege or saying the Abrahamic god's name (or an identifier such as "Lord" or "God") in vain.

pastavirus

Reaction score
Not using curse words is a sign of respect and common decency.

I hate censorship though. If a swearword is in a script, It was there because the writer made a concious artistic decision to include it.

Dairydude

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of them (even though i swear like a sailor at times), but I do think they are overrated with regards to how bad they are.

When i have kids, ima raise them to not swear, just because it's better manners and sounds more polite.

The issue I have with swear words, is where do you draw the line?
Fuck, Shit, Piss, Dick etc. are commonplace these days, but what about words like Cunt, ******, Paki, Cracker (against a white person), Kype etc.
These are all just words yet people seem to enjoy taking great offense to them

Edit: Just noticed that the word N 1 G G E R got auto-censored.
So we can post some offensive words (cunt got through), and not others. A double standard seems to be in play here

the dark knight

I'm not going to weigh in on the stupidity of people who are offended by a single word, so I'll just go over the etymology of our favourite curse words.

Fuck:

Some evidence indicates that in some English-speaking locales it was considered acceptable as late as the 17th century meaning "to strike" or "to penetrate

The usually accepted first known occurrence is in code in a poem in a mixture of Latin and English composed some time before 1500. The poem, which satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, takes its title, "Flen flyys", from the first words of its opening line, "Flen, flyys, and freris" (= "Fleas, flies, and friars"). The line that contains fuck reads "Non sunt in coeli, quia gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk". Removing the substitution cipher[2] on the phrase "gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk" yields "non sunt in coeli, quia fvccant vvivys of heli", which translated means "they are not in heaven because they fuck wives of Ely" (fvccant is a fake Latin form).[3] The phrase was coded likely because it accused some Church personnel of misbehaving; it is uncertain to what extent the word "fuck" was considered acceptable at the time.

Shit:

Scholars trace the word back to Old Norse origin (skīta), and it is virtually certain that it was used in some form by preliterate Germanic tribes at the time of the Roman Empire. It was originally adopted into Old English as scitte, eventually morphing into Middle English schītte. The word may be further traced to Proto-Germanic *skit-, and ultimately to Proto-Indo-European *skheid-, ". Ancient Greek language had 'skor' (root 'skat-' from which modern Greek 'skatá'). The words 'skítur' (noun) and 'skíta' (verb), still exist in the Icelandic language today, and in other Scandinavian languages variations of 'skit' are also often used.

Piss:

Middle English pissen < Old French pissier < Vulgar Latin pissiāre, probably of echoic origin

Cunt:

Cunt derives from a Germanic word (Proto-Germanic *kunton), which appeared as kunta in Old Norse. The Proto-Germanic form itself is of uncertain origin.[1] In Middle English it appeared with many different spellings such as queynte, which did not always reflect the actual pronunciation of the word. There are cognates in most Germanic languages, such as the Swedish, Faroese and Old Norwegian kunta, Frisian kunte, Dutch kut, and German kott. While kont in Dutch refers to the buttocks, kut is considered far less offensive in Dutch speaking areas than cunt is in the English speaking world. The etymology of the Proto-Germanic term is disputed. It may have arisen by Grimm's law operating on the Proto-Indo-European root *gen/gon = "create, become" seen in gonads, genital, gamete, genetics, gene, or the Proto-Indo-European root *gwneH2/guneH2 = "woman" seen in gynaecology. Relationships to similar-sounding words such as the Latin cunnus (vulva), and its derivatives French con, Spanish coño, and Portuguese cona, have not been conclusively demonstrated. Other Latin words related to cunnus: cuneatus, wedge-shaped; cuneo v. fasten with a wedge; (figurative) to wedge in, squeeze in, leading to English words like cuneiform (wedge-shaped).

Tits:

From Old English titt. Compare teat.

if you were going by george carlin's heavy 7 then you missed cocksucker and motherfucker.

back on topic:

people who get offended with it are douchebags. they just pretend to be mature or "good" man. :gun_rifle: those people's balls.

however, i do believe that it has to be censored on TV sometimes. the word fuck cant insult someone. but, if a kid hears it, it could do something....bad images :nonono: lol.

also, women get offended by cussing. personally, i never really cared to cuss in public places and infront of women but i once had...nevermind. i just shut up when i see a woman now :blush: