• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Oscars 2014: Nominations

Fauche

That celebrity cluster-pic tweet was the highlight of the night. I love famous people.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Gravity has 5 Oscars already.

Such a shitty movie. But it's a shitty movie with amazing production value apparently.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
6 now. Including Best Director.

What a crock of shit.

Why don't you like it out of interest? Most of its awards were for tech stuff and even if the film did not quite work then I don't think many would argue that it failed on that level. Thought Bullock was excellent in it also.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Surprised Legion wanted Leto to win honestly because he played a gay guy that made it obvious that he was gay :adr:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Aids infested birdie, difficult slapping on some makeup and dress.

Every movie that was nominated I'll never watch, except American Hustle what a horrendous piece of shit that was.

Heisenberg

I think all the awards were ok. McConaughey was well deserved. Wouldn't of mind if Leo or Bale won though. I disagree with hair & makeup and best picture but a movie such as 12 years will win any year. Oscar bait.

Tapout

I think all the awards were ok. McConaughey was well deserved. Wouldn't of mind if Leo or Bale won though. I disagree with hair & makeup and best picture but a movie such as 12 years will win any year. Oscar bait.

I agree. I didn't see it as anything special but the moment I saw the movie I knew it was going to win. Those types of movies just win automatically.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Why don't you like it out of interest? Most of its awards were for tech stuff and even if the film did not quite work then I don't think many would argue that it failed on that level. Thought Bullock was excellent in it also.
I despised it because it was boring as hell. I get that most of the awards it won were production-oriented, so that part didn't surprise me. It was mainly the fact that it won Best Director that really aggravated me. The movie had a whopping total of 2 actors, and both of those actors play the same goddamned character in every movie they're in, so I really doubt the director did much. All a director does is coach actors, that's it. If there was an award for Best Director of Photography, I wouldn't have argued with Gravity winning that, but that's not even close to the same thing. Signs of a good director are when everyone, even the lesser-known actors, are great and convincing in a movie. That was Wolf of Wall Street in a nutshell. It's also the same reason I think Stanley Kubrick is the most overrated piece of shit of all time because his movies typically have 1 or 2 good actors, and even the famous ones were known to have shit performances from time to time. Gravity just didn't deserve that award imo. It was probably the least-deserving of that award of all the nominations. And after it's released on blu ray/dvd, it's going to be very misleading on the packaging when it flaunts the fact it won 7 Oscars. People are going to see that, watch it, and be extremely let down. Especially since they won't experience the movie in Imax or 3D which is how the movie was meant to be watched anyways. The praise it's getting now won't last.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
And for the record, I'm a total scifi junkie. I watch a lot of old scifi movies that would cure most people's insomnia, but this movie really just seemed like a rip-off of Apollo 13's "scenario" (can't really call it a "plot" since that was a true story, but you know what I mean). And frankly, the actors in Apollo 13 were far superior to Sandra Bullock and George Clololololooney. I was seriously hoping Sandra Bullock died in that movie because she was driving me so crazy with her finicky bullshit that she does in every movie she's in. Even in Crash, I SO wanted her husband to bitch slap her, or maybe that maid snaps and grabs a knife from the kitchen. Just can't stand her.

Speed was good though.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
First off all there was much more to Mcconaughy's performance than just the make-up and losing weight. The character transforms over the course of the film, and he has to convince as both sides and does so brilliantly. There is a lot of charasma and emotional depth to that performance for me. Personally I would have not gone with him for best actor, but I don't mind him winning it.

Heisenberg you are right in saying that 12 Years was classic Oscar bait, but only in the subject matter not in the film itself. Steve McQueen made a totally uncompromising and scary film which did justice to the real life trumor of the character. It was unlike any other film on Salvery, and was a masterpiece and deserved to win best picture.

WAL I agree that Gravity is overrated, but still for me it was unlike any other cinematic experience of last year, and a rare thing a good use of 3D. Steve McQueen should have got best director, but I have been a big Curaon fan for a long time and didn't mind him winning it.

Overall I thought this was one of the better years for the Oscars.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
@Hatred. Explain how 12 Years was oscar bait because slave movies have been done to death again please because that was hilarious when you couldn't name another slave movie besides Django.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Okay first thing I want to know is....Keith what's a trumor?
Secondly playing a homo isn't groundbreaking, it's an actor just screaming "Can I haz Ozkar nao? plz" Jared Leto getting an oscar just for losing weight shouldn't be the end all of this shit. You don't see action stars get nominations when they pack on pounds for roles and gain 30 lbs of muscle.

Also, all he did was lisp it up, no different than Jennifer Lawrence using that oh so hard to do jewey New Yawkah accents, I can sound like the Jerkey Boys too.....Oscar plz.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
@Hatred. Explain how 12 Years was oscar bait because slave movies have been done to death again please because that was hilarious when you couldn't name another slave movie besides Django.

Well there have been quite a few but not for awhile. Django wasn't really one just a Taratino film posing as one.

deezy I agree that to a degree Dallas Buyers was conventional Hollywood film, but what made it better to me was the subtle performances. Again it was Oscar bait, but to me the acting was great, and I respect that you feel different.