Official NBA Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kaedon

Reaction score
Well so far Lebron and the ego crew are living up to their own hype, they've won NOT ONE title. Next year (or whenever the labor deal gets worked out) they'll get NOT two....

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Honestly, with the labor situation in the NFL and the pending labor issues with the NBA I'm almost to the point where I'm just like fuck pro sports as a whole. I mean, I love sports as much as anyone but it's hard to side with either the owners or the players when it's all over basically a few million dollars.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
So yeah, I pretty much called the entire playoffs to a T from the start besides the Thunder fluking a triple OT win against my boys.

Anyway, thoughts on the draft?

Watch out for the Lithuanian with the long name, he'll be one to watch when he debuts.

My top prospects here would be Jordan Hamilton, Kemba, as well as Jimmer in a weak college class. Jims would be a perfect fit coming off the bench, but would have to take trading Grevy, Xavier Henry, or even Mayo, which I doubt they'll do. Although a Mayo deal would help clear the cap for Gasol to sign.

Singler's overhyped, no way is he on Kemba or Jimmer's level yet, total potential pick.

Jimmer = Tim Tebow of this year's draft: Hated for no reason by ESPN and most fans, yet will still be a top round pick and will be a future beyond solid player in the league. (Although Jimmer probably will just be bench scorer and be around for 15 years, more like Wally Sczerbiak). >_>

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Realistically i'd say NY has a great chance to get him, but i'd look for Houston, or even Utah (If they wanna go for the BYU kid) to take him if nobody trades.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Honestly, with the labor situation in the NFL and the pending labor issues with the NBA I'm almost to the point where I'm just like fuck pro sports as a whole. I mean, I love sports as much as anyone but it's hard to side with either the owners or the players when it's all over basically a few million dollars.

Actually, the biggest issue for the NFL deal is how to split the $9 BILLION in annual revenue... where players/owners/Roger Goodell all feel they deserve all if it, meanwhile coaches, team front offices, trainers, referees, field crews, stadium workers... get absolutely nothing. Not to mention, if you give that money to all these other guys, the prices of concessions would drop considerably and actually be manageable. If I didn't need drinks to soothe my throat from the environment of a game, I'd never buy one for the price they cost. The NFL can go to Hell for all I'm concerned.

The NBA Lockout tho? If this hard cap goes through like everyone predicted, Chris Bosh's contract will be terminated like it was supposed to be after the season, after he played the second best basketball on his team in the playoffs, especially the Finals. That could be good for the Heat considering they can actually get some quality young depth, but they're in such a shitty state with these contracts, a hard cap could limit what they cover releasing Bosh anyways.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Derrick Williams will be the best player in this years draft. I watched him play a lot in college, he is a superstar waiting to happen. Him and Kevin Love can be a good 1-2 combo if they can get a good supporting cast around him. Kyrie Irving is IMO overrated, and won't ever live up to the #1 hype. The foreign dude the Wizards drafted I want to see play already, Jimmer and Tyreke Evans I dont see getting along for the long term being they both LOVE to shoot, but if they can coexist along with Cousins watch out; they could sneak into the playoffs if there is a next season.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
If next season doesn't happen the entire NBA's gonna be fucked for awhile and they know it. It's not like '99, the league's riding on a wave of popularity not seen since the MJ years, and jeopardising that would be crazy, both sides have too much money to lose for this, but if the owners do truly want to "break" the union...

Great pick by the Kings. I'd look out for the Bobcats next year, in a weak conference if their picks plan out they'll be looking at a top 5 position. Also LOVED the Rockets draft and mark my words, they got the steal of the draft in Chandler Parsons in the 2nd round. Kid's very skilled.

Enzo, what was up with your boy making all those trades? I get that they wanna get younger, but this might be a little quick to mess with the number 1 seed in such a way.

PS: Glad we (Grizzlies) didn't make any trades, even though Selby was a bum at Kansas, at least we've got future trade bait.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
The NBA lockout will be killer... More so than the NFL lockout, from what I've heard it's almost inevidable that there wont be a 2011-2012 season; which will damage the league and they wont ever be able to recover. Now, if the NFL also has a work stoppage hockey and soccer will become a lot more popular lol.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Nascar will still be bigger than Hockey and Soccer in the US.

The fan backlash that came from Colangelo picking the Lithuanian is HUGE! Everybody (and myself) wanted Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight but they decided to go with the 19 year old PF. Do I have a problem with the pick? Not really but he won't even play next year when Toronto needs help now. Plus we in Toronto are kinda tired of the European players, now if we picked Kemba Walker or another PG I would've been happy cause I can't stand Calderon.

P.S. I love these WWE Parody videos lol.

[yt]3QYrpvALxAY[/yt]

LOVE the run-ins

Reaction score
Enzo, what was up with your boy making all those trades? I get that they wanna get younger, but this might be a little quick to mess with the number 1 seed in such a way.

PS: Glad we (Grizzlies) didn't make any trades, even though Selby was a bum at Kansas, at least we've got future trade bait.

All ONE trade classifies as "all those trades"? It makes sense, trade a solid rotation player that is more of a 2 than a PG who will have to be over paid next season to keep him when there is a glut of talent at that spot in Anderson and Neal to plug into his minutes for the best defensive player in the draft. Kahwi Leonard addresses one of the biggest concerns for the Spurs, a SF that doubles as a 4 when teams go small and he can rebound and defend, something our only true SF can't do. Plus we get a couple of stash picks that could turn out to be solid contributors.Only thing that left me scratching my head was Corey Joseph at 29. It does make sense because they need a true PG to backup Tony, but I don't know if I like him, but never doubt the Spurs Front Office. They are hands down the best FO in the history of the League, maybe even sports altogether. Never having picked above 20th the past 14 years, these are some names they've picked from the bottom of the barrel, where usually 91% dont have any measurable success in the NBA; Gordan Gorachek, Luis Scola, Leandro Barbosa, John Salmons, Beno Udrih, and of course Tony Parker and probably the greatest steal of the draft ever, the second to last pick, Manu fucking Ginobili.

They didn't do anything bad, if anything, they probably had one of the three best drafts.

BTW, Grizz need to make a trade. Rudy Gay is the right piece to move, he had nothing to do with their late season surge or post season success. Guy is an overpaid chucker with little defensive skills. Trade him to Atlanta for Josh Smith, uses the change to resign Gasol and with what appears on paper to be the deepest front court , they are going deep, if not Finals. Conley needs to continue his growth, OJ Mayo needs a bounce back year and Zach Randolph needs to be the leader. Could easily happen.

SE76, what's the deal on Bosh's contract? I've never heard of it being terminated after 1 year. I know all three have ETO, but to terminate after 1 year for cap reasons is obvious collusion and I don't think that will happen. Miami looks strapped to these guys and will have to fix things with duct tape and super glue.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
SE76, what's the deal on Bosh's contract? I've never heard of it being terminated after 1 year. I know all three have ETO, but to terminate after 1 year for cap reasons is obvious collusion and I don't think that will happen. Miami looks strapped to these guys and will have to fix things with duct tape and super glue.

I'm not 100% sure exactly on the specifics but I haven't heard any legit sources backing it up, I will just take it as smoke and mirrors before it's on ESPN or Yahoo, personally I like Bosh. He played very well in the finals and throughout the playoffs. If any of the big three would/should be moved I would say LeBron should be the one to go, which obviously wont happen. Bosh isn't a #1 guy buy he can be one of the best #2s in the NBA, a Gasol to Wade's Kobe if you will. LeBron and Wade don't compliment each other because they are both the same kind of player who need the ball at all times; the only way I see the Miami 3 working to the fullest potential is to have Bosh play defense and rebound from the 4 spot and he'll get his point on mid-range jumpers and post ups, have LBJ run the point (however Chalmers is very solid as an assist PG) and keep Wade at the 2 (who needs to find that championship fire of a few years ago, 06 Wade wouldn't have let a 2-1 series lead, which should've been pushed to 3-1 lead, slip up like that).

The Heat didn't help themselves in the draft either. They needed a scrappy defender and a true center/post up scorer, they didn't get either. I'm not really sure what they can do with the cap situation as unclear as it is, they're gonna need a few things to fall to inprove significantly. However, getting Miller and Haslam healthy should help next season.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
1123424673.gif

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2

I'm not 100% sure exactly on the specifics but I haven't heard any legit sources backing it up, I will just take it as smoke and mirrors before it's on ESPN or Yahoo, personally I like Bosh. He played very well in the finals and throughout the playoffs. If any of the big three would/should be moved I would say LeBron should be the one to go, which obviously wont happen. Bosh isn't a #1 guy buy he can be one of the best #2s in the NBA, a Gasol to Wade's Kobe if you will. LeBron and Wade don't compliment each other because they are both the same kind of player who need the ball at all times; the only way I see the Miami 3 working to the fullest potential is to have Bosh play defense and rebound from the 4 spot and he'll get his point on mid-range jumpers and post ups, have LBJ run the point (however Chalmers is very solid as an assist PG) and keep Wade at the 2 (who needs to find that championship fire of a few years ago, 06 Wade wouldn't have let a 2-1 series lead, which should've been pushed to 3-1 lead, slip up like that).

Bosh received the largest contract of the 3 in case the salary cap issue happened and someone had to be cut. They were sure they'd have more success based on LeBron and Wade than with Bosh. It's not "collusion" in the sense you're getting at, Enzo. All team sports with caps do it. That win-now mindset takes over and you bring in someone you can afford short-term with the idea that if his contract gets in the way, it's time to cut him. All teams knew the NBA would be restructuring the cap after this last season... Miami took advantage of what was there while it was there hoping they had a big-3. The only "shady" shit is why they didn't structure the contracts based on actual league representation, giving Wade & Bron the highest contracts and Bosh the lowest of the 3. But it was smart of them to structure around the cap, because, let's be real... who takes a chance on Bosh when Bron can at least get you to the playoffs and Bosh had never done that himself?

The real problem is, all these playoff contenders just found a guy who can play cut-throat offense in the playoffs (even if his defense sucks) who don't have that presence already. Bosh will be a commodity based on that fact. I'm willing to bet Stern lets them get away with these 3 though....

sharkboy 3:16

Reaction score
Wow havent been on here in awhile. Anyways lol miami, I knew they wouldnt win, I have no idea why they kept going to LBJ when wade was clearly doing much better then him but they did and LBJ didnt perform, he was terrible in every 4th quarter. Well done to the mavs, Dirk finally gets a Championship which is awesome and made it an enjoyable final.

On to the draft, everybodys saying that its a weak draft but I really don't see how its a weak draft, there may not be any LBJs or Blake Griffins coming out of it but theres still a huge amount of talented players that can and I think will really help out all of the struggling teams, the Timberwolves get Williams and when I look at their team I can actually see them doing reasonably well this year, the Cavs get two good young players and in Irving and Thompson so I think next season theres gonna be alot of change due to these draft picks.

I think the Pistons had a really good draft, when they chose Brandon Knight ahead of the likes of Kemba and Jimmer I was kinda pissed after hearing so much about Kemba and Jimmer throughout the year, how good they were and whatnot but after seeing Knights Highlights im happy with the pick and cant wait to see him play. Really happy with getting Singler too, I dont know how he wasn't chosen till the 2nd round but it happened so all is good, those two will really help the Pistons next season especially if we dont resign Prince. New Owner and also looking for a new coach too so Detroits on there way.