• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Official MMA (See: UFC) Thread

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
This was my first time watching an actual UFC show but the two fights couldn't be any more different. Looked like Holly was trying to keep her distance and use her reach advantage, Miesha knew she had to get more aggressive in round 5 or lose the decision, so she found an opportunity and pounced... then Conor and Nate just went out there and wailed on each other lol. No defense.

Winner of this fight was one thing though: Weed. How else does Nate Diaz have the power to no-sell that much blood?

Weed beats power

Weed beats speed

• Haha
Reactions: Snowman1

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Weed beats Irish people.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
I'm still laughing at people drawing wide conclusions on Conor based on fighting 25 lbs above his weight class. Just silly
He fought a LW and didn't cut to be fair, Nate coming in at 169 probably means he didn't cut too much also. I agree you can't pull much from the fight, the only thing which stood out is that he struggled to fight against a longer reach but is there anyone at FW who can exploit it?

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
He fought a LW and didn't cut to be fair, Nate coming in at 169 probably means he didn't cut too much also. I agree you can't pull much from the fight, the only thing which stood out is that he struggled to fight against a longer reach but is there anyone at FW who can exploit it?
I don't think he struggled against the reach. How many HARD shots did he hit Nate with early? His problem was he started hunting the KO and ignoring Nate's granite chin. He should have worked the body more as he said he would, not to mention his used no movement, he was just standing in front of Nate with his hands down confident he could eat his shots. Like I said, big mistake, he wasn't at 145 anymore so you can't just rely on your chin. That is Conor's main flaw, overconfidence in his chin and he fights with his hands down. Had he used more movement and mixed it up more instead of loading up huge lefts I still think he picks Nate apart.

He emptied the gas can loading up huge shot after huge shot, many weren't connecting but a lot of them were. Nate ate them to his credit and wore Conor down.

This is why I love Conor though:

I stormed in and put it all on the line. I took a shot and missed.
I will never apologize for taking a shot.
Shit happens.
I'll take this loss like a man. I will not shy away from it. I will not change who I am. If another champion goes up 2 weights let me know.
If your tired of me talking money, take a nap.
I'll still be here when you wake up with the highest PPV and the gate. Still talking multi 7's.
Thank you to the true support and fuck the hate that came out of the woodwork. I love it all. Its still steak for breakfast.
I've been here many times in my life in some form or another. I'll eat it all and come back stronger.
Aldo you are a pussy. Dos anjos you are a pussy.
When the history books are written, I showed up. You showed up on Twitter.
To the fans! Never ever shy away from challenges. Never run from adversity. Face yourself head on.
Nate I will see you again.

Reactions: seabs

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Stealing this post shamelessly from Sherdog because it sums up what I've been feeling all day and Im too lazy to bang it out myself:

Yes I'm a nuthugger, yes I'm butthurt, yes Conor is one of my favorites, but that doesnt mean I cant have a realistic and balanced opinion on Conor and his skills. I was confident that Mendes would beat him, I gave him a 50/50 shot against Aldo, I laughed at the ridiculous 170 and fighting Lawler talks, and I think that RDA would have destroyed him had they fought and will destroy him if they fight somewhere in the future.

Having said all that..........I think Conor screwed himself out of a win here. He was going all out looking for that first round KO and in doing that he blew his wad. He came out in the second round with some energy left but quickly depleted that by throwing reckless spinning shit and wild haymakers. After a while he looked gassed, had no bounce in his step, stopped slipping punches, had zero head movement, and his punches had no pop behind them anymore. He didnt even try to dodge punches and just let Nate tee off on him. This is where Nate started taking over and eventually landed the 1-2 that rocked him.. No disrespect to Nate, but he was getting dominated in the first round with counters and combinations. The tide starting shifting the moment Conor basically tired himself out by using Nate's face as a punching bag.

I think that with a more patient approach Conor could take a rematch pretty comfortably. He should have let the (T)KO come naturally without chasing it like a madman, using his speed advantage, timing that left and darting in and out of Nate's range, working the body more, and hell just throwing punches for the sake of scoring poins. Throwing all power punches against a Diaz brother doesnt work, those guys will just take it until their opponent gasses and swarm them with volume. The way that Conor handled Siver or Holloway is a perfect example of him not forcing the KO. He should have been landing clean punches that would eventually either lead to a finish or decision victory.

Reactions: Green Jesus

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
You're so much better when you're not talking in snarky, lazy-ass sound bites. Still not confident It would be this smooth ride, but yeah, I can see what you mean.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I should just stay offline when I'm in the mood, but I was reading all over the Internet a bunch of bullshit about Conor and I sort of just projected all of that onto you. You didn't say anything egregious, but the "glad we won't hear about Conor anymore!" just made it seem very dismissive of someone who any MMA fan should be thankful to have around. MMA fans bug the shit out of me in general, I truly find them to be the worst. Not saying this is you, but so many of them come off as fucking losers who see someone finding success so they just root against them and when they inevitably fall, MMA is probably the toughest game I've seen to stay on top of for long, they live vicariously through the victor and act like they themselves beat someone up in the cage. It is offputting as fuck. I see so many idiots talking shit about Conor today and for what? Being a fucking warrior and doing what nobody else in the company would be willing to do. He has the old school mentality sorely lacking in today's MMA.

It is what it is. As a shameless fanboy hopefully he can still defend his 145 lb belt and work his way back into discussion for a shot at the LW belt as well eventually. I still wouldn't put it past the guy as long as he learns from the Nate fight. I still think he has the ability.

Reactions: Green Jesus

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
No worries.

I actually do like conor and hope he continues to do his thing. I'm just glad the most delusional super-fans got to see him failing at least once. Conor is a beast, but jesus fucking fuck, some people take *everything* he says as gospel, even the stuff he says as hyperbole or as obvious fight-building.

I admit I cheered the fuck against him, but now that I got that out of my system I will actually appreciate him more.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
What a night that was. I only watched the double header main event, but both fights ended up being pretty much the polar opposite of what I (and most everyone else) expected them to be. Happy for Miesha that she finally won the title (especially being behind on points and managing to pull out the win at the last moment), but it kind of sours the excitement of a Rousey/Holm rematch knowing Holm has been beaten. Would still be big because Ronda would be facing her conqueror, but eh...

Dana White already made Rousey/Tate III for the belt at an upcoming UFC event. How funny would it be if Rousey came back and lost again, this time to a girl she's already beaten twice before... :george:

As far as Conor McGregor goes, I don't dislike him, I like him somewhat, but I never believed he was great as his rapid fanboys made him out to be (there's even a huge thread over at BoxingScene.com calling him the greatest of all time for goodness sake), and for that alone, it was great seeing him put down and tapped out.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
UFC Boston - Conor McGregor: The Puncher's Path - They say that power corrupts . . .

This is a pretty interesting article which has re-surfaced over the past few days showing McGregor's style change, it was posted around the Siver fight and with hindsight it's a great read.

Off topic, but what they said about the Foreman/Ali fight at the beginning of the article annoyed me. The myth of Ali's Rope-A-Dope tactic is hugely exaggerated and misleading, people are under the impression that all he did was lay on the ropes and allow himself to get beat on until Foreman exhausted himself beyond capability, but in reality it was only part of what he did (and even then, he was covering up in a turtle shell-like defense to block as many punches - especially to the head - as possible.) Watch the first four rounds, Ali was ducking and dodging and slipping punches as much as possible and making Big George eat many of his own. Foreman already had a swollen eye by the end of the fourth...

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Off topic, but what they said about the Foreman/Ali fight at the beginning of the article annoyed me. The myth of Ali's Rope-A-Dope tactic is hugely exaggerated and misleading, people are under the impression that all he did was lay on the ropes and allow himself to get beat on until Foreman exhausted himself beyond capability, but in reality it was only part of what he did (and even then, he was covering up in a turtle shell-like defense to block as many punches - especially to the head - as possible.) Watch the first four rounds, Ali was ducking and dodging and slipping punches as much as possible and making Big George eat many of his own. Foreman already had a swollen eye by the end of the fourth...
Yeah, especially the first round Ali hit a ton of right hand leads.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
One thing which is annoying me is people talking about Conor bulking up to Welterweight since he had a huge cut to Feather and weighed in at 168 he can't have added that much mass. Here he said he walked around at a lean 165lbs Prospect Conor McGregor on Being a Three-Division UFC Champ when he debuted, if he was cutting a lot to make 170 why drop down the extra lbs?

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
CSIrhWZ.jpg

I'm enjoying these shitposts abit too much.