Official Football Discussion Thread 2014/15

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
:eek:Really the Football season returned last week with the Championship, leagues one and two etc. Plus we have had the first round of the league cup during the week. But the slightly over hyped top flight does return tomorrow for another season of drama! Whatever club you support or league you follow then discuss it here.

A few predictions I think this might be Arsenal's year for the title, they have bought very well, and now have a far greater balance to their squad plus they have the no trophy in nine year monkey off their backs. Of course City will start favourites and Chelsea again look strong. The top four will be roughly the same with Liverpool and Man Utd doing battle over 4th.

As for the other end, well Villa are looking like they could be even more shit this season. There is just so much uncertainty at the club, Lambert looks out of his depth, and the new signings are hardly going to pull up any trees. I think we could be even closer to the trap door than last time, but Tony 'Bloody' Pulis did us a favour by leaving Palace last night, that could be a hammer blow for them. So while things look a bit bleak for Villa I think we might just scrap through with Burnley, Palace and Swansea my three to go down. We do need a few points on the board early as after the first three games we play last seasons top SIX all in a row WTF!

Lets get on with this thing:eek:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Burnley, Palace and Villa down.

Chelsea to win it, other 3 will be Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd in that order.

Liverpool wont get Europe at all.

Blackburn, Fulham and Cardiff come up.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
It's been a good summer for us, but I don't have any hopes of winning the league this season. Injuries could still be a problem this season, even with the addition of that new fitness coach from the German national team. The squad is very strong, but I'm just not going to get my hopes up that much.

My pick is Chelsea because 1) They've brought in some great players, filling in any of the roles that caused them problem last season, and 2) I don't know if Mourinho will even allow himself to go another season without winning the league.

I also think Man City will be a big threat. They're one of those teams that can looking unconvincing a lot of the time, but still end up winning most of their games. I see them being major contenders.

I'm refusing to play down the Van Gaal hope because I've learned to never count of Man Utd (apart from last season). They're definitely a bit of a wildcard this season, and I don't know if they've bought enough players, but they could still be dangerous this season.

Liverpool have brought in a lot of player, not sure if they're the right kind of players though. I see them finishing outside the top four.

Also, I think Villa should really be looking at Pulis as a replacement to Lambert, who I just don't rate as a manager. As things stand right now I see them going down this season unless they make some pretty big changes in the transfer window or in their management.

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The question mark I have over Chelsea is up front. Costa looks a good buy, but if he does struggle to adapt and has a poor first season, then they are left with 36 year Drogba and a very hit and miss Torres who has seen better days. Apart from that they are very strong.

Trouble with Villa at the moment is until we get the ownership sorted out then we can't really plan for the future, and if it drags on too long it could be too late.

I don't think Fulham will come back up. They have changed virtually a whole team who would have been good at this level and their manager is still adapting to English football. They are another one like Leeds who are going to be under massive pressure. Norwich, Derby and Wigan are my three to come up.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
But don't forget, Drogba is still one of the best strikers in Europe....apparently :banderas:

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Relieved with the win today, honestly wasn't expecting it to be that hard. Palace played very well, and we played pretty badly. A lot of people say the biggest of teams win games they don't play well in, so I guess that could apply for today.

I thought the only good players today were Chambers, Debuchy and Arteta. Cazorla had a howler, Alexis was poor (but mostly because he tried too hard, which isn't so bad at least), and Sanogo looked like a newborn giraffe every time he touched the ball. Hopefully we don't play this badly for another while.

Also, good to see Man Utd have continued their form from last season. I honestly thought they'd play a bit better than they did today, I guess it's already clear that they desperately need new players. I for one hope they never change though, because this post-Ferguson era has been highly entertaining.

Other highlights for today:

- McGeady's goal.
- The pitch invader taking a free kick during Spurs/West Ham.
- A bird shitting in Ashley Young's mouth.

Reactions: Keith and Aniking

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Thing to remember is that Utd have now lost that fear factor at home, so teams going there who can restrain them for the first twenty minutes will feel they can get something. I was more surprised from Swansea's point of view than Utd's as I expect them to struggle this season. Utd are a long way off being title contenders and right now I don't see them getting top four either.

Good opening win for Villa yesterday, and to get a clean sheet is a big bonus too. It was nice to see Weinmann get the goal as he had a poor season last time and needs to step up. Of course I am far from getting carried away, as I remember the opening result last year:D

We need to aim for at least four points from our next two matches now before we meet last seasons TOP SIX!:fp:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The question mark I have over Chelsea is up front. Costa looks a good buy, but if he does struggle to adapt and has a poor first season, then they are left with 36 year Drogba and a very hit and miss Torres who has seen better days. Apart from that they are very strong.

They have tons of goals elsewhere in Hazard, Schurrle, Willian, etc and in defence Ivanovic & Terry will prol get double figures between them.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^That is a fair point, but it does help if you have a 15-20 goals a season striker. One of the reasons they didn't win the title last season IMO was because of that. They will be there or there abouts.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Good weekend for me.

Even if it was a dire game and we looked poor up front and in creative areas I have got to be pleased with four points and two clear sheets from the opening two games. We have Orient in the cup tomorrow night so I think I would rest a few and give the likes of Given, Lowton, Cole and Bent games. If we beat Hull Sunday then that should set us up nicely for the tough run we have coming.

Sunderland/Man Utd was a interesting game. I think Sunderland might be alright this season, Poyet's doing a really good job there. As for Man Utd even with the Di Mara signing for crazy money! I still don't see them finishing in the top four (which will be the same just in a different order), and that a cup maybe their best chance of glory this season.

Also, good wins for my home town team Peterborough, my current local team Brighton, and my Mum's current home town team Morecambe who really are the form side in the Football league. They won't stay top of course this will give them a good base for the rest of the season.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Hope Welbeck proves that smug Dutch guy wrong. Of course Rooney and RVP are better, but that is partly because they are older and have more top flight experience. Welbeck is still only 23, and I think should be a good signing for Arsenal. He works hard, has pace, and is flexible in where he can play.

Good test for Villa tomorrow going to Liverpool. We've done pretty well there in recent seasons, and with them having a few injuries it could be a good time to play them. I have a feeling they may just edge it with a late "Super Mario" goal in a 2-1 win, but who knows.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Like I said, Chelsea to win League and Liverpool mid table at best, this is why I am this forums best and most knowledgable pundit.

Also I am annoyed MOTD gave Man City's 2nd goal in depth analysis slagging off the full backs like it wasn't a total fluke the ball span into Navas' path. Wilshere played good for once too, rarity.

Aniking

Reaction score
Like I said, Chelsea to win League and Liverpool mid table at best, this is why I am this forums best and most knowledgable pundit.

Also I am annoyed MOTD gave Man City's 2nd goal in depth analysis slagging off the full backs like it wasn't a total fluke the ball span into Navas' path. Wilshere played good for once too, rarity.

Yeah, because claiming Chelsea will win the league is such a genius proclamation. And a team finishing second means they're STILL a mid-table team. You're a joke, Cork. Always have been.

Both their goals came from terrible defending on our part. Flamini got caught ball watching and allowed Navas to get a few metres on him which was all he needed and he was away. Sure the ball fortunately stayed in for him, but then when he had it Koscielny made no effort to close the space, just casually jogging towards him and by then Navas was at the edge of the box, exactly where he neded to be prevented in reaching. As for Demichelis' goal, it's zonal marking at it's absolute finest. Leave one of the most dangerous headers free in the box? Come on...

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Yeah and lets not forget that he predicted Arsenal to win the league last season. And the irony of that is their better this season! Anyway I am sure mixed feelings for Arsenal yesterday it was a good recovery in the second half at a time when it looked like they were going to struggle to get back into the game, but once again they failed to see a big match out. Still much more postives than negatives and they should still improve as the season moves along.

Great win for Villa yesterday. We looked good from set pieces in the first half and maybe should have had at least a two goal lead. Second half we worked hard and restricted Liverpool to very few chances. Another clean sheet, and another goal for Gabby. A good start to a very tough run of fixtures.

Impressive wins for Lesicter and Southampton. Will be interesting to see what happens with Padrew I don't see him getting the sack really. As long as Newcastle stay up and carry on making a profit I don't think the chairman will be that bothered. Also, I don't see who else they could get who is much better to work under that sort of set up.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I didn't see you bottlers making any predictions, grow some balls armchair supporters.