Official Football Discussion Thread 2011/12

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I don't see QPR getting a result at Man City, so yeah, ultimately, Newcastle are going to have to beat City or draw with them and we're going to have to go out there and dominate against Swansea and Sunderland.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
That was such an embarassing performance from United, it was actually hard to watch and I don't even support them. Seemed to me that Fergie was concentrated on what City could do rather than imposing their own game. 3 shots all game and 0 on target I think it was just speaks volumes. If it wasn't already evident enough, Fergie needs some serious recruitment for top quality midfielders instead of relying on Scholes & Giggs.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I support United and Rooney played absolute crap. What I don't get is why was Valencia & Welbeck on the bench... Berbatov never plays, if I was him I'd look for a transfer. City played better and deserved to beat us.

Lewb

Reaction score
lol. What can Rooney do with no service? Giggs and Scholes were kept busy chasing the pace of man citys midfield so they couldn't create anything. Well played mancini, but fergie didn't half help him out tbh. Valencia on the bench was ridiculous.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
lol. What can Rooney do with no service? Giggs and Scholes were kept busy chasing the pace of man citys midfield so they couldn't create anything. Well played mancini, but fergie didn't half help him out tbh. Valencia on the bench was ridiculous.

This is what baffles me. I rarely question Fergie's tactics but this season he's had so many questionable tactics. I mean, Park hadn't played for numerous games, he really didn't seem match fit at all. Valencia should of been on the pitch all game, best player of the season for us and we were noticablly better when he came on.

Lewb

Reaction score
Smalling was well off the pace too. The fact he had missed a lot of time was very noticable.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Could be wrong here, but it seems like Fergie wanted to send a massege to the players who let him down against Everton, as he made big changes from that game, but it back fired big time. This maybe a case of his pride getting in the way of what was best for the team. Not a big Berbatov fan mind you.

Aniking

Reaction score
The way I saw it, Fergie wanted to pack his midfield and team with experience to stop the Man City midfield from providing service for Aguero and Tevez. This worked for the first 10-15 minutes, but I think it was purely due to the fact the City players looked nervous. Sure enough they warmed into the game and took over.

This was probably the most important decision of Fergie's season and it backfired. He changed a winning formula when they needed it the most by removing Welbeck, Valencia and Young from the first team and giving starts to Park and Giggs, but especially Park who hasn't started a game since January I believe. City stuck with their winning team, stuck with their winning game plan and sure enough they won. Credit to the City players and Mancini.

What also didn't help United was the fact Smalling didn't look fit enough but also Nani wasn't at his best when he neded to be. Valencia definitely should've started over him, or even the guy who's apsiring to make England's Olympic diving team.

I'll actually be cheering City on when they face Newcastle due to Newcastle fighting for third against us, and I doubt City will drop points against QPR unless it's at QPR.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
City have QPR at the Etihad.

Berbatov's contract is up at the end of June I believe, and Fergie was on about renewing it a few months ago, but since he's not getting playing time as Hernandez & Welbeck are preferred to him, i'd be shocked if we didn't let him leave on a free transfer. Even if we did pay £30 million to sign him from Spurs. Much like Owen Hargreaves. We signed him for like £17 million, did well in his first season but from there kept getting injured so we had to let him go on a free. And he ends up at City at the start of the season on a 1 year deal. Michael Owen's contract is also up at the end of the season, if we keep him i'll be surprised.

Arsenal have got Podolski finally too. Since Cologne said he'll be leaving them to sign for Arsenal in the summer for an Undisclosed fee.

Roy Hodgson looks set to be the new England manager too. Many people expected Harry Redknapp, but I like the appointment of Roy. He has managed various international sides whereas Harry hasn't. And i'm sure the FA were looking for someone British who has managed at International level. And he's done a really good job at West Brom since he took over last season.

Lewb

Reaction score
Right...... Important football coming up now..... the nPower Championship Playoffs!

Thursday night, Cardiff City take on West Ham at home in the first leg while the bank holiday weekend is kicked off with Blackpool at home to Birmingham. The Hammers, The Tangerines and The Blues were all in the Premier League last season, so with The Bluebirds as the underdogs, it's a position that in the last two playoff campaigns they didn't feel they were at, and hoping the underdog status can suit them to getting to Wembley and pushing up to the top flight.

I don't know if any of you care about the playoffs but Cardiff are my team, and I'm busting to be able to say I support a Prem club, I have faith. Performances like ours against Liverpool and we should be able to achieve what we have failed to do the past two years!

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Cardiff can fuck off whenever Blackpool are involved! Ian Holloways post match interviews are the best!

As for Hodgson? I like it. I think there was too much hype surrounding Harry Redknapp, everyone loved him, and in the end if he failed people would be like what the fuck? Just look at what the hype caused him to do with Spurs. But with Hodgson there's no hype, no one expect's him to do anything amazing, so if he fails the questions are asked of the FA not his managing ability and if he succeeds then that's a bonus. I think he'll do a good job!

Lewb

Reaction score
Cardiff can fuck off whenever Blackpool are involved! Ian Holloways post match interviews are the best!

As for Hodgson? I like it. I think there was too much hype surrounding Harry Redknapp, everyone loved him, and in the end if he failed people would be like what the fuck? Just look at what the hype caused him to do with Spurs. But with Hodgson there's no hype, no one expect's him to do anything amazing, so if he fails the questions are asked of the FA not his managing ability and if he succeeds then that's a bonus. I think he'll do a good job!

Holloways been boring as fuck this season.

Aniking

Reaction score
I've only got an interest in who will be promoted to the Premier League for the last 10 or so games of the NPower Championship season. Reading were promoted with 2 games to go, Southampton were promoted on the final day, meaning West Ham just missed out. Around 10 points below them were Birmingham and Blackpool, followed by Cardiff City. I've watched virtually none of the season, but based off the points I'd feel sorry for West Ham if they didn't make it.

City have QPR at the Etihad.

No worries, thanks for that. In that case, if I get my way, City will win the title.

Berbatov's contract is up at the end of June I believe, and Fergie was on about renewing it a few months ago, but since he's not getting playing time as Hernandez & Welbeck are preferred to him, i'd be shocked if we didn't let him leave on a free transfer. Even if we did pay £30 million to sign him from Spurs. Much like Owen Hargreaves. We signed him for like £17 million, did well in his first season but from there kept getting injured so we had to let him go on a free. And he ends up at City at the start of the season on a 1 year deal. Michael Owen's contract is also up at the end of the season, if we keep him i'll be surprised.

I'm pretty sure Fergie only wanted to sign Berbatov to a new contract a little while ago so they could actually sell him at the end of the season and get some cash instead of him leaving for free.

I'd also be surprised if Michael Owen was signed to a new contract. He's below Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and Berbatov in the pecking order and he really won't offer them very much if he stays. I laughed at the fact he thought he could play a part in United's tilt for the title with about 5 games to go. Clearly a plea to be played, which hasn't happened. Probably rightfully so when you've got Hernandez and Berbatov sitting on the bench every week.

Roy Hodgson looks set to be the new England manager too. Many people expected Harry Redknapp, but I like the appointment of Roy. He has managed various international sides whereas Harry hasn't. And i'm sure the FA were looking for someone British who has managed at International level. And he's done a really good job at West Brom since he took over last season.

I like the decision too, he ticks so many boxes. He's British, he has managed three International teams, and was the cheaper option. If the FA forked out $10 million for Redknapp, a man with no International management experience and he bombed, that would be a huge waste of money. If Hodgson bombs, they won't have spent anywhere near as much cash and they'll have backed his experience. They'll have to deal with the constant "You should've picked Redknapp" but I think the decision was the right one.

Arsenal have got Podolski finally too. Since Cologne said he'll be leaving them to sign for Arsenal in the summer for an Undisclosed fee.

Very pleased, as an Arsenal fan, to have this wrapped up. Podolski is a proven goalscorer at both club and International level, as well as being a top class player, who will come in and hopefully mean the selling of Park or/then Chamakh. Fantastic signing and I can't wait to see what he and Van Persie can do alongside each other. And yeah, fuck off everyone, RVP isn't going anywhere :p

Allegedly the two players that Wenger has turned his focus to now are Jan Vertonghen and Yann M'Villa.

Vertonghen is a Centre Back who can play Left Back, just like his Belgian teammate and ex-Ajax teammate Thomas Verminator. I have my fingers crossed that this signing happens. Squillaci was going to be sold anyway, but hopefully now Djourou will too, although he signed a new contract last year.

If we get Vertonghen, we'd then have Bacary Sagna & an improving Carl Jenkinson at Right Back, with Laurent Bosscielny, Francis Coquelin and Nico Yennaris (reserve RB who played very well in the first team) capable of filling in there and not being a fuck up like Djourou.
We'd have the Verminater, Vertonghen, Bosscielny and Per Mertesacker (although I read he could be fucking leaving for some reason) at Centre Back, with Alex Song capable of filling in there as well as giving Ignasi Miquel & Daniel Boatang (our reserve CBs) a chance to shine.
And finally at Left Back we'd have Kieran Gibbs & Andre Santos (who I'm still not sold on), with the Verminator, Vertonghen and even Miquel capable of filling in there. We've shown since October that we've solved our defensive problems, but Vertonghen coming in and Squillaci & Djourou going the other way would go a step further to ensuring that.

As for M'Villa, he's a Defensive Midfielder, and although Wenger's intention is probably to buy a top class DM to challenge Song, I have a feeling Song could jump ship due to it as he has refused to sign a new contract. Even then, with our current formation, it'd be very tough to fit Song, M'Villa, Jack Wilshere, Mikel Arteta and Tomas Rosicky into the one team. Below them are Emmanuel Frimpong, Francis Coquelin, Aaron Ramsey and Abou Diaby, so Wenger has to change the formation or else he'll have a major headache there. I hope we get M'Villa and keep Song as I think that'd be fantastic.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
The thing is, the only team I say in the Play-Off's suiting the Premier League is West Ham. They've had good periods in the league before and actually interest me a bit. Blackpool although I can't do anything but love the, are a real small club and they won't ever have a sustained period in the top. Cardiff should of done it last year and Birmingham just bore me.

Status
Not open for further replies.