Official Football Discussion Thread 2011/12

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clydefrog

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
test
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Portsmouth's financial plight means they may not be able to complete the current season, according to club administrator Trevor Birch.

Birch says Pompey, who entered administration in February, will not receive parachute payments from the Premier League as they will go straight to former owner Sacha Gaydamak.

In a statement on the club's official website Birch said: "Following our discussions with the Premier League and Football League over the past few days, it has emerged that Portsmouth football club is unlikely to receive any further parachute payments or other league funding.

"We had previously stated that there was a real danger of the club running out of cash before the end of the season.

"The risk of this happening increases substantially without the money from the football authorities.

"Unless something significant happens, there is a real possibility that we may not be able to fulfil the season's fixtures.

"One potential issue appears to come from the assignment of £2.2million of parachute payments that was made by the old company to a previous owner.

"We have instructed lawyers to challenge this, but the process may take time."

Birch remains committed to saving the cash-strapped club, but admits "the clock is ticking" to find new owners.

He added: "As you'd expect, several people have got in touch with us since our appointment as administrators and made enquiries about buying the club.

Redundancies
"We are assessing every case and will make contact with anyone that we believe could be a serious bidder over the next few days.

"Any potential bidders will need to be prepared to make a major investment in the club because the outlook for next season looks challenging unless we can sell some players in the summer."

Pompey were deducted 10 points in February after going into administration for the second time in two years.

Birch was forced to loan top scorer Erik Huseklepp to Birmingham to trim the wage bill and also announced 30 redundancies at the club.

They are currently second from bottom, five points from safety, and face Middlesbrough at Fratton Park on Saturday.

This is bad news for any portsmouth fans out there, i do like portsmouth and i do hope they stay in exsitance!

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I've changed the title of the thread. So discuss the Premiership, Championship, League 1 & League 2, SPL as well as the European leagues in here.

Fowler could be a decent signing for Blackpool in their quest to get back in the Premiership for next season. Kevin Phillips has turned out to be a good signing so far for Blackpool.

Portsmouth I read about them the other day. I watched them in the FA Cup around a month or so ago when they played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and they looked a decent side then. Michael Appleton is new to management but if pompey do survive liquidation, and survive until the end of the season I think they'll just about survive relegation into League 1.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Cardiff played very well from a defensive standpoint. Going forward they only created 3 or 4 chances. That's why I say they didn't deserve to win it. Saying that though, neither did we, since we didn't create many clear-cut chances. As such, I think the game was there for the taking. No team deserved it or should have won.I've got quite a few pictures of the day, will upload some more when I can be bothered. Was a long one though, left at 5am in the morning and got back at 4am next day. Was fantastic though.

I just thought both played some cracking football and the match was played at a good pace and of course it did go back a forth. Yeah there could have been more chances, but there was still lots of drama and an edge to it.

The Portsmouth story is a sad one, but somehow I don't them going under. These clubs are always bailed out somehow. It seems like we live in a world where it is one rule for football clubs and another for every other kind of business.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I read the other week that Pompey had their Sky subscription cancelled (at the ground) because they couldn't even afford that, plus they were under threat of their gas & electricity being cut off.

Sounds serious, like already said though these clubs always seem to be saved in the nick of time. Only one I can remember going under was Gretna just a couple of yrs after they nearly won the Scottish Cup v Hearts. Fiorentina went bust if we count clubs abroad too.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Wanted Arsenal to lose at Liverpool today but they won instead 2-1. Yet again, Robin Van Persie saves the day for them.

I just want someone to take him out.

Aniking

Reaction score
Watched the game, and really Liverpool should've won. Although it says they scored a goal, they didn't as it was an own goal, but in reality they should've put in a few. I don't think we necessarily played shit, but Liverpool dominated the majority of the game. I'm still stoked we managed to steal it and I'll fucking take it any day.

The more Van Persie scores, the better it is for us for the rest of the season, but I have trouble envisioning him in an Arsenal shirt next season. I sincerely hope Wenger manages to buy a couple of star players to convince Van Persie to stay. I'd start with quality cover in case Van Persie's injured, and apparently we've come to some sort of agreement with Podolski to sign him in the summer. I hope that comes to pass, but just him won't be good enough to keep Van Persie.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Andre Villas Boas for the sack? Chelsea have lost 1-0 at West Brom. They're in 5th place at the moment in the Premiership table and still could technically miss out on 4th place to either Arsenal or even Newcastle. Abramovich reportedly paid £16 million to bring AVB in from Porto during the summer and even though he's worked with Jose Mourinho in the past, he clearly is no 'Special One'.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Yeah, defo. They have gone so far backwards under AVB that even Liverpool could overtake them. Hes turned one of the best defences in the league to a fragile mess. Plus if the rumours are true and Mourinho wants back in, seems an obvious move.

Also where is that Racist FC fan Darth Dod when you need him?

He scores when he wants
He scores when he waaaaaaaaaants
Robin van Persie
He scores when he wants

Dod Draper

Reaction score
You're carried by one player, who, coincidentally, is off in the summer.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
It was a great battling performance by Arsenal today. They finally have a very good goalkeeper and are once again playing as a team and of course have a world class striker. I don't go along with Liverpool deserving to win. It was a tight game which was up for grabs for either team to win.

While it has been a disater season so far for Chelsea, I don't think sacking the manager is the answer. There comes a time when you have to have stability. Of course if they had not fired Carlo they would not be in this mess now.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Most people think Hiddink has been the most successful Chelsea manager since Mourinho left. And he was only at Chelsea for a few months after Scolari got sacked.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
You're carried by one player, who, coincidentally, is off in the summer.

Did Van Persie make all those world class saves in goal?

With all those bitter lemons you ought to be sponsored by Jif...

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Well yeah, hes a world class player, no shit.

Just like if you took Messi out of Barca or Ronaldo out of Madrid they'd be worse off for it, but one man team is a stretch.

Its exactly like Liverpool relying on Gerrard through 05 - 08ish. Doesn't mean there arent other great players too. Are Jack Wilshere/Thomas Vermaelen/Ox-Chambo shit players just because they dont grab the headlines?

Aniking

Reaction score
It's Van Persie's job to be scoring goals, but obviously he's scoring too many if it means we're a one man team. He wouldn't have scored the majority of his goals if the rest of the team didn't provide him with proper service. That there is a certain Fernando Torres' problem.

Speaking of Chelsea, it's really only a matter of time before AVB is axed. I do think that this season is just a one-off season and that Chelsea will be a much improved side next season under AVB, but it's troubling to imagine AVB remaining as Manager for much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.