Nigel McGuinness signs with TNA!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Double J

Reaction score
Updated Story:

Source(s): PWInsider.com & WrestlingINC.com

It is believed that Nigel McGuinness signed a two-year deal with TNA. WrestlingINC.com is reporting that McGuinness approached TNA about working out a deal when WWE decided to pull its previous offer after he failed a prescreening procedure. McGuinness' prescreening reportedly turned up several injury issues. The screening led to WWE backing off on their interest in signing him. This reportedly happened 5-6 days ago, and McGuinness was instructed to keep quiet when asked about his WWE status. It should be noted that he suffered two torn biceps and a pair of concussions during his time in Ring of Honor.

TNA had attempted to sign McGuinness in the past, but he had originally agreed to a new deal with ROH and TNA instead hired Doug Williams. WrestlingINC.com reports that TNA president Dixie Carter is also a big fan of McGuinness and has been for quite some time.

We're also told that his new ring name in TNA, Desmond Wolf, was something he came up with and the new doctrine in TNA is to use new names so they can trademark them. This was done so that he could keep the McGuinness name and so TNA could trademark the new name.

ROH officials did not know that McGuinness signed with TNA until he showed up in Orlando yesterday.

WrestlingINC.com is also reporting that any earlier reports suggesting that Bryan Danielson was also on his way to WWE are not true as he recently passed the prescreening process and is expected to debut anytime now. Danielson also expressed zero interest in ever working for TNA several years ago.

So in other words he didn't really want to go to TNA over WWE, WWE just didn't want another Mr. Kennedy...

The Rated R CMStar

Danielson is not that dumb. He is the king of indies, only reason he would leave that is the real big leagues.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Desmond Wolf? If he becomes big, he'll have kids rocking old school wolf t-shirts like the NWO Wolfpack shirts.

What exactly is in one of these prescreening test?

Airfixx

...Or that I have to like pissing in my pants because I did it 4 yrs ago.

Pissing in your pants is a rather like-able experience.... Shame society makes it seem like such a bad thing.

I wonder what Danielson's gonna end up being called when he get's to WWE...?

Double J

Reaction score
Desmond Wolfe (formerly Nigel McGuinness) recently spoke with The Daily Star in the UK about signing with TNA, his new name, working with Kurt Angle and more. Here are the highlights…

On Rumors That He Failed His WWE Medical Screening: "I had a clean bill of health from my orthopedic guy and my local doctor, so it's not about that. I don't hold against anything against them, it was a business decision, and they were only doing what they think is best for them."

On His Name Change: "Everyone is asking me where I got the name from - someone said Withnail and I - but Vince said he did an internet search of the most popular British names and came up with Desmond Wolfe!"

On Joining TNA: "I am very glad for the opportunity to work in TNA. I know AJ, Daniels, Joe and those guys from ROH already - when I first came in there I was watching them work and learning form them. It's a real positive for me having Doug and Nick here too."

On Working With Kurt Angle: "Who gets the opportunity to come in on their first day and beat up Angle, I mean that's huge! Kurt has been great, just like everyone else - he's really open to ideas."

The Rated R CMStar

Somehow I don't believe Nigel. There's no logical reason for WWE to back off from signing you and not Danielson, and I am sure you certainly weren't the one deciding that working in TNA was better.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
ROH has to be pissed. They lost Nigel to TNA, not WWE. He could be good in the X Division, but that's all I see with him. Right now, I don't know if signing with TNA was the better decision between the Indies. I guess we'll see what happens.

The Rated R CMStar

Oh yes, I am meant to forget that a match makes no sense whatsoever just because it will be good.

You are booking a World Title match for your next PPV without any logic behind it whatsoever. Both Daniels and Joe come from defeats in BFG, but I am supposed to forget that and remember their little match from 4 years ago.

You want to book the match? I am not against it. Have Daniels and Joe actually win their Number One Contendership. Not that hard. But what they did is announce two guys that lost their past matches as World Title challengers.

Kizza

Shut up.

Seriously, at this point, are you willing to give TNA any credit at all? They book a match that could very well be a 5 star classic, and THIS is your reaction?

Well, uh, it doesn't make sense. How did Joe and especially Daniels deserve a shot at the title? What did they do to earn it? I didn't see them win any number one contender matches. So no matter how good it is, it still doesn't make sense.

The Rated R CMStar

Exactly, that's all I'm saying. I am not whining about Joe and Daniels particularly being main eventing. It's the fact that they didn't do anything to earn the match and it all falls to the logic that we are supposed to forget they lost at the last PPV but they once wrestled in a PPV 4 years ago is plain dumb.

Hometown Kid

ROH has to be pissed. They lost Nigel to TNA, not WWE. He could be good in the X Division, but that's all I see with him. Right now, I don't know if signing with TNA was the better decision between the Indies. I guess we'll see what happens.

:confused:

He JUST owned Angle and you think they won't push him? In WWE it was way more likely he'd get jobbed then released. Fair to say it's more likely he'd get a dumbass gimmick in TNA, but even then, that's pushing it. And as it goes, so far, so good.

As far as the PPV triple threat, when the fuck was the last time a TV wrestling title angle has made sense? Just appreciate that they booked a good match, although they should have done more to build Joe and Angle up, it makes tons more sense than Undertaker or Cena getting title shots while being off TV for half-years, or Team 3D getting put in World title matches.

Kizza

:confused:

He JUST owned Angle and you think they won't push him? In WWE it was way more likely he'd get jobbed then released. Fair to say it's more likely he'd get a dumbass gimmick in TNA, but even then, that's pushing it. And as it goes, so far, so good.

As far as the PPV triple threat, when the fuck was the last time a TV wrestling title angle has made sense? Just appreciate that they booked a good match, although they should have done more to build Joe and Angle up, it makes tons more sense than Undertaker or Cena getting title shots while being off TV for half-years, or Team 3D getting put in World title matches.

Cos Undertaker and Cena are big names. It's happened forever. It makes sense to have one of your star guys come back into the title scene immediately. While the big names have been away, they've either given the other main guys a run with the belt, or tried other people as contenders. Imagine being the boss, and not having a Cena or an Undertaker for months. What would you do as soon as their back? Put them in an angle for the title. A man guy, who was at his top when he left, coming back and getting a title shot makes more sense then two guys who have been fit and haven't done anything impressive, especially Daniels. Daniels has been incredibly lackluster since returning from Curry Man.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
Because all you know about him is hearsay, so your opinion is not formed by what you've seen but by what other people see. Why don't you take a few minutes, watch a promo and a match of him, and then comment? that would contribute more into the discussion.

I understand what you're saying. I get it, both you and Twoscoops. But just because MOST of what I know about im him is hearsay, shouldn't mean I can't comment on it. This section of the forum is almost nothing but hearsay. Hell, this thread it self is nothing but hearsay. You heard (or read) from somebody else that he signed with TNA. You didn't know that until Thursday. So by your logic, you shouldn't be posting in here (nor anybody for that matter) should post about this if they weren't at the impact tapings.

As for the triple threat match, yeah it doesn't make since, still should be an epic match though. But in TNA's defence (which still may not be a good reason), it's only been one week. They still have 3 or so weeks left. Styles could have wanted to have this match. Foley (does he still have authority) could have made this match. There's lots of different reasons why this match could be going on. They may or may not explain it, but they still have time too.