New ROH Champion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Reaction score
Eddie Edwards shocked the world last Saturday Night defeating reigning ROH champ Roderick Strong. Shocked the world may be a bit "strong" but it certainly was an upset. They've been building him up for a title run; however most people thought Eddie tag partner Davey Richards would be the one to dethrone Roddy. This is almost like Christian winning the belt before Edge, Or Matt over Jeff...or even Marty before Shawn..but you get the idea. So this will certainly lead to some interesting angles.

I could be wrong but Edwards as a singles wrestler, hasn't been in any major feuds in ROH yet. So can Die Hard Eddie Edwards bring ROH into the era of wrestling? Love it? Hate It? Thoughts?

1chiban

Reaction score
Edwards versus Richards for the strap? Seems like an obvious way to go?

Montana

Reaction score
Yes it does. I still hope they do Strong vs. Davey vs. Eddie in a Triple Threat. The next NYC show is being dubbed the Best in the world, which means they will likely fly in some international talent or Low Ki to face edwards.

Axis

Reaction score
Some good angles can come from this, but the fact is that Eddie Edwards is just so average by ROH standards. Probably the third worst wrestler in the title lineage, behind Xavier and 2009 Jerry Lynn.

Reaction score
Edwards versus Richards for the strap? Seems like an obvious way to go?

I sure hope not. If they were ever to have a former tag team feud over the main strap, it should have been Generico/Steen, they were over and both are far more charismatic. The Briscoes and KoW would be far more epic than two uncharismatic Benoit posers. I'd watch RoH regularly again if Generico or Claudio were champ, they just need a star that isn't from their cookie cutter that panders to smarks that think stiffing, contrived moves and 3 thousand near falls automatically equate to a great match. RoH will never take that next step if they keep putting stiffs behind their strap. Really sad that Daniels is gone, because no one deserves a belt more than Daniels has deserved the RoH strap. Oh well, can still hold out hopes that Homicide gets another run or TNA releases the greatest RoH champ ever.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
Is he and Davey Richards the American Wolf guys? I've watched ROH sporadically in the past and none in the last year or so but if it's the AW guys they weren't that impressive.

Reaction score
I was at Manhattan Mayhem IV and its totally worth picking up once its released on DVD. Second half of the show was really top notch.

Montana

Reaction score
Is he and Davey Richards the American Wolf guys? I've watched ROH sporadically in the past and none in the last year or so but if it's the AW guys they weren't that impressive.

Really?? It seemed like every other match they had were 4 stars or better. Maybe you just don't like their style. I didn't like them at first because they kinda just slung them together, but they actually played REALLy well off each other i think. Which gets me thinking it took a couple months for them to get into a groove. Maybe you saw some of their earlier matches.

I give ROH props for pulling the trigger on Edwards as champ. Seems like most people are happy about it. As Enzo stated he'd rather Generico/Claudio as champ (Mine is Hero or Richards) but it might be the best time now when ROH is between TV deals. We will see how it pans out. Here's some video for anyone who missed it.

Say what you want about Eddie Edwards... Call it dumb, loving his job, or what you have but he wrestles on Injuries like a broken arm. The guy doesn't miss a show; and i admit someone like Daniels deserves the straps with his history with the company (10x more than Jerry Lynn) But Eddie Edwards is currently one of the hottest things in ROH. A lot of times that doesn't happen. They wait too long, or not long enough. Plus it was a shock, but it made sense.

[yt]t21_yj084p4[/yt]